PDA

View Full Version : Ico

Pumpkin
04-17-2015, 08:04 PM
sharky is making me play Ico. I haven't tried it yet and I'm super nervous. Starting it tonight or tomorrow :ohdear:

Anyone played this game? Any tips? What can I expect?

Vyk
04-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Not a lot of story, very charming. It's kind of a puzzle game, light action game. It loves its minimalism and style. Just watch out for the girl and keep an eye on the shadow buggers and enjoy. I don't recall getting stuck very frequently, if ever. So if I ever was stuck I don't think it took all that long for me to figure out. And the save system is very cute, if you don't like anything else about the game, I have a feeling you will find that adorable

Are you going retro and playing it on PS2 or getting the new one on PS3? I've been super tempted for a long time to get the PS3 re-release. Still want it pretty badly. Someday. And then I'll replay it. But as it is, I haven't touched the game since I beat it after it first came out. So it's been years. So I can't really help out on any specific situation or anything. I just have fond memories. Don't be too nervous. It's just a game where it's fun to walk around as a couple of kids and explore the beautiful scenery, and every once in a while you have to whack away shadow things from Kingdom Hearts with a little wooden stick :P

Pumpkin
04-17-2015, 09:39 PM
Thanky :3

We have the PS2 disc, so I'm guessing we're going with that!

Shauna
04-17-2015, 11:06 PM
I really enjoyed Ico. But not too much to add on to what Vyk has already said. Just enjoy it! :}

Ayen
04-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Ico? Never heard of it. Came out two days before my birthday. Go figure.

fat_moogle
04-18-2015, 12:05 AM
I never played this on PS2. When there was so much hype around the ICO remaster on PS3 I jumped on the band wagon but was left pretty disappointed. It didn't hold my interest for long.

DMKA
04-18-2015, 12:05 AM
It's a unique game, I'll give it that. There really is nothing else out there like it.

Pumpkin
04-18-2015, 12:25 AM
Granted I haven't played much but... I'm kind of hating it so far xD

Jinx
04-18-2015, 12:28 AM

What, really? I've never played it, but I know enough about it. It's supposed to be the (spiritual?) sequel of Shadow of the Colossus.

Ayen
04-18-2015, 12:52 AM

What, really? I've never played it, but I know enough about it. It's supposed to be the (spiritual?) sequel of Shadow of the Colossus.

Yes really. In 2001 I didn't have a computer with internet. I didn't have friends who played the game. I didn't see a single advertisement for it on my TV. Therefore, I have never heard of it until now. I'm only vaguely familiar with Shadow of the Colossus. And after I got internet it never came up in conversation until now. There was also a little matter concerning a terrorist attack and in-coming war.

And Buffy was moving to UPN...

Shauna
04-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Ico predates Shadow of the Colossus, so switch that round and you've got it.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-18-2015, 01:02 AM
It's spoilerific, but basically the end of Shadow of Colosus indicates that it takes place for, and sets the groundwork for, Ico.

It came out later, but it's considered the prequel.

Shauna
04-18-2015, 01:06 AM
Ah. Misread. Had in my mind spiritual successor not sequel.

I blame 1am and illness.

Jinx
04-18-2015, 01:33 AM
Ah, I thought it was the sequel. I didn't realize it was the prequel, I just knew they were related.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-18-2015, 05:06 AM
I really need to beat Shadow of the Colossus one of these days. Ico is up there as one of my favorite games. It has issues, but I really like the story it conveys

I Took the Red Pill
04-18-2015, 05:57 AM
Ico is breathtaking. Owned it and played it around when it first came out. The sense of isolation, the lighting, the near-silence...it really is a one-of-a-kind experience, and closer to "art" than pretty much anything else I can think of.

krissy
04-18-2015, 07:22 AM
ico's pretty good
like it's a good game
i dunno if i'd play it again because the combat is bs

theundeadhero
04-18-2015, 08:33 AM
It's all about exploring and enjoying the scenery along the way.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-20-2015, 05:32 PM
The scenery is dated now. Not sure how much she's gonna dig it guys. :(

Maybe I should have picked up the remake for PS3, but I already had the original so I'm having her play that version.

I tried to pick a game with some platforming, but mostly platforming centered around puzzle solving so that it wouldn't feel quite as rushed. Also, I think it creates a really beautiful atmosphere.

So far, I don't think she's feelin' it. :shrug:

Shauna
04-20-2015, 05:33 PM
It's okay for her to be wrong.

Pumpkin
04-20-2015, 05:39 PM
I'm not huge on platforming or puzzle solving, so that would explain it :lol:

I'm giving it a fair chance and I do feel much better now that I know those stupid shadow monsters will disappear when the lady opens those pillar doorways. Gosh those things stressed me out.

I've decided to onl play it while sharky is with me because a) it creeps me out and b) I suck at puzzle solving and I need all the help I can get

sharkythesharkdogg
04-20-2015, 05:57 PM
I was originally going to pick Shadow of the Colossus because it comes first.

Then I remembered it's a little more dark and violent.

Then I remembered pumpkin hates fighting giant enemies in video games, which basically is that video game.

So that didn't happen.

blackmage_nuke
04-21-2015, 01:23 AM
If you had the pal version or the HD version you could have played co-op.

Vyk
04-21-2015, 02:24 AM
How do you like the save feature? :P

If you had the pal version or the HD version you could have played co-op.

Also, wut?? That's awesome

Ayen
04-21-2015, 06:43 AM
I was originally going to pick Shadow of the Colossus because it comes first.

Then I remembered it's a little more dark and violent.

Then I remembered pumpkin hates fighting giant enemies in video games, which basically is that video game.

So that didn't happen.

Hey, Pumpkin, play Darksiders :smug:

Pumpkin
05-01-2015, 07:00 AM
How do you like the save feature? :P

I find it pretty annoying tbh :shobon: I sit on the couch and then I get to watch what's her name pace back and forth 18 times for no reason before she finally sits her ass down so I can save and stop playing

As for my opinion in general, do you know what it feels like when you're really stressed out? Like you feel queasy and your stomach hurts and you feel a bit clammy and shaky and you kind of feel like crying but not because you're sad, just because you're so strung out? That's how this game makes me feel. Every time an enemy shows up I feel like I've been punched in the stomach and the puzzles are beyond frustrating. I'm glad it's so short and the saves are so close together because I can't stomach it for more than a half an hour or so

I'm not saying it's objectively a bad game, because it isn't. I can see why some people really like it. It just really really isn't for me. But sharky tried hard to pick a game for me so I'm doing my best to get through it

Omni-Odin
05-01-2015, 04:31 PM
I liked it enough to do the two hour trophy thing on PS3. Ya I liked it and definitely more than Shadow of the Colossus.

It's weird though considering I never like having to help AI through a game. I thought she was pretty well programmed except for at the save spots.

Vyk
05-01-2015, 11:29 PM
I don't recall ever having issues with her wandering around the save point forever. I always thought she sad down pretty shortly after you do. That's kinda weird. But I can see how that'd be annoying. I guess if it worked properly it'd be cute, but oh well

I honestly still prefer it to Shadow of the Colossus as well

krissy
05-02-2015, 03:00 PM
worst fight system ever