PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Battlefront

Freya
04-17-2015, 10:28 PM
My childhood is back this week. It's a Star Wars Revolution.

ZwWLns7-xN8

plus they are bringing back split screen

Rejoice

CimminyCricket
04-17-2015, 11:03 PM
I'm excited that DICE is doing this. They've made some great games. 11/10 trailer would purchase.

Vyk
04-17-2015, 11:07 PM
Was never a big fan of the original Battlefront games so this one doesn't really sway me. And with EA trying to shoe-horn online BS into every game that comes out now, I can't imagine it'll be done well with this old formula

That being said, the trailer looked absolutely fantastic and captured everything marvelously. So more power to them if they can pull everything else off with that kind of prestige. I may end up being swayed

Psychotic
04-17-2015, 11:08 PM
Where is my god damn fucking Bully 2 already :colbert:
WHERE IS MY GOD DAMN BULLY 2

And Star Wars Battlefront 3.

I want a new timesplitters game. Also a new star wars battlefront. Give me those two next gen titles (or current gen) and I'll be a happy pumpkin. E3 will be deemed as a success and I'd buy whatever new platform to play those on.This, and Bully 2, and it will be the greatest day of my life.
Sony, announce Battlefront 3 and/or Bully 2 as an exclusive launch title and I will come crawling back. :shobon:
Battlefront 3 and Bully 2. Now. Yesterday. :colbert:where the fuck is my battlefront 3 and my motherfucking bully 2 i am about to start murderinghalfway to heaven :love:

Ayen
04-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Well, that one guy in front of Vader is smurfed.

Vyk
04-17-2015, 11:38 PM
I don't think it's called Battlefront 3...

What if it's a remake?!

CimminyCricket
04-18-2015, 12:08 AM
It's not Battlefront 3!

Psychotic
04-18-2015, 12:39 AM
I don't think it's called Battlefront 3...

What if it's a remake?!

It's not Battlefront 3!A rose by any other name, fellas.

CimminyCricket
04-18-2015, 12:42 AM
There are different types of roses.
This is not the rose you are looking for.

Bolivar
04-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Best trailer I've seen in a long time. Glad to see DICE going back to colorful maps and lively animations a la Bad Company 2, after we've had 3 Battlefield games with the gray urban setting. Getting the Star Wars IP seems to be the creative push they needed. I'm just not sure how the final visuals will hold up or which platform to play it on. I might go PC if they use AMD Mantle again but at the same time, I've had alot more fun with last gen Battlefield games on console.

Also, this isn't "Star Wars Battlefront (3)," it's Star Wars Battlefieldfront," although they have tried to stay reasonably true to the brand, like with third person mode.

Slothy
04-18-2015, 04:54 PM
An in engine cinematic trailer tells me almost as little as a pre-rendered cinematic trailer so there's nothing interesting here for me aside from that it's a new Battlefront game made by DICE. I'll probably keep my eyes on it, but given every game they've made since Bad Company 2 has been complete garbage I won't get my hopes up yet.

Psychotic
04-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Honestly you guys I am so stoked for Battlefront 3.

Skyblade
04-19-2015, 06:32 PM
An in engine cinematic trailer tells me almost as little as a pre-rendered cinematic trailer so there's nothing interesting here for me.

I have to agree with this.

Also, although I feel this warning will be completely ignored:

Do not buy this game at launch. Do not preorder it. It's a DICE game. It is NOT GOING TO WORK.

Bolivar
04-19-2015, 06:49 PM
It's a DICE game. It is NOT GOING TO WORK.

I am willing to bet against this.

What should we wager? Avatars? The tags under our names?

Psychotic
04-19-2015, 07:00 PM
I will let the winner choose the other's user name for a month.

Skyblade
04-19-2015, 08:12 PM
Sure, why not. I can stop posting for a month if I don't like the name. Honestly, I'd rather wager tags below the name, though.

I'm sorry, I don't see this as being playable. The bigger the title is, the more broken it is at launch. Because EA and DICE know they don't have to finish it. People are going to buy it anyway. There are already thousands of preorders in. They can just patch it afterwards. Just like all their other titles. I mean, I know how long they spent making Battlefield 4 work well before, launch, but that was the exception. Oh, wait, it was actually one of the buggiest and least viable products they've ever made, and they don't even care because people bought it anyway. They complain, but they still buy the products, and that's all EA cares about, so they don't even institute quality control.

You remember hearing about the letters of apology for the blatantly nonfunctioning product they shipped? Or the directors or QA people fired for letting such obvious bugs slip through? Nope. Until people stop buying their games and it begins to affect their bottom line, they're only going to get buggier and buggier.

Fox
04-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Stakes just got high up in here!

Three things:
1) I agree with Skyblade (except the bit about the QA people. Chances are they found pretty much every bug but they all got "Wont Fix'd"). It's going to be a rough launch because a) Battlefield 3 launch was rough, b) Battlefield 4 launch was rough, c) SimCity launch was rough (not DICE but server infrastructure is likely handled on the publisher side) and d) Star Wars is bigger than any of those. Hopefully it'll be a great game but I'd definitely give it a month or two.

2) Shame about no campaign. Look, it's really cool and all to fly around in X-Wings and shoot blasters and everything, but I like Star Wars for the story. I'd rather have Call of Star Wars with a decent single player campaign than a multiplayer only Battlefront.

3) Shame about no space battles! Again - planetary stuff in Star Wars is cool. But let's be honest we all want to fight Star Destroyers against Rebel Cruisers.

Bolivar
04-19-2015, 08:48 PM
We just need to define what "works" means.

If people can generally connect to online multiplayer matches by the end of launch day, I think that should mean the game works. Also, we are betting on DICE's ability to deliver a stable game, so anything out of their control shouldn't count, such as DDoS attacks or one of the three networks not being able to handle the server load.

Agreed?

Skyblade
04-19-2015, 09:10 PM
We just need to define what "works" means.

If people can generally connect to online multiplayer matches by the end of launch day, I think that should mean the game works. Also, we are betting on DICE's ability to deliver a stable game, so anything out of their control shouldn't count, such as DDoS attacks or one of the three networks not being able to handle the server load.

Agreed?

Can generally connect and play through a match without crashing out.

I agree on no DDOS attacks. Not sure how you define server load troubles. Frequently you can just crash out without being given a reason, so that could lead to ambiguity.

Personally, I also think we should set the penalties ahead of time. Your new custom title: "FFTA > FFT".

Bolivar
04-19-2015, 11:35 PM
I mean server load as in the game has issues on Xbox Live but works fine for PSN and Origin on launch day.

I think I might need the next few months to think up what it would be. Psy mentioned names but would you rather titles instead? Why not a set - name, tag, and avatar?

Skyblade
04-20-2015, 12:37 AM
I mean server load as in the game has issues on Xbox Live but works fine for PSN and Origin on launch day.

Ah, ok. I can agree with that.

I think I might need the next few months to think up what it would be. Psy mentioned names but would you rather titles instead? Why not a set - name, tag, and avatar?

Because I'm too lazy to make a full set. I also dislike gambling on the whole, so raising the stakes is more likely to make me just quit.

Bolivar
04-20-2015, 01:39 AM

Because I'm too lazy to make a full set. I also dislike gambling on the whole, so raising the stakes is more likely to make me just quit.

Tags it is, then.

Do you accept?

Skyblade
04-20-2015, 02:21 AM

Tags it is, then.

Do you accept?

I do.

Slothy
04-20-2015, 10:24 AM
This wager is more interesting to me than the trailer. :exdee:

Bolivar
04-20-2015, 02:21 PM
It's on!

Freya
04-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Oh wow my thread got a whole hell of a lot more exciting! :excited:

November 17, 2015 is your release date. Feel free to prep however you deem necessary. We've got us a good old fashion "is-it-a-good-game" off!

Bolivar
04-20-2015, 08:35 PM
Ain't no way this game ships broken!

EA and DICE know all eyes are on them, they're going to take every measure possible to ensure launch goes off without a hitch. They already put a system in place to resolve issues and Hardline, albeit by a different studio, has already had a successful launch. Most of all, this talk about DICE games being broken is HYPERBOLE. Before Battlefield 4, everyone knew DICE is quality. Despite minor issues, I was playing matches of BC2 and BF3 on day 1. You guys need to realize cynicism doesn't make your posts sound smarter! You need to believe in Battlefront, believe in DICE and most importantly:

BELIEVE IN EA!

Lol

Fox
04-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Oh, you know it's doomed as much as we do. ;) This is pretty much happens when DICE/EA try to launch a game these days

X-rkFaIPyL4

Slothy
04-20-2015, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all eyes have been on EA for over a decade and they still completely bungled the Sim City and BF4 launches to say the least. EA hasn't really cared in a long time.

Ayen
04-21-2015, 06:58 AM
Aren't most AAA games these days shipped broken because they're in such a rush to finish them on time and know they can just patch it later and people will buy their trout anyway? Isn't that one of the big problems the industry is facing today or is that just EA/Ubisoft exclusive?

And since I said the name, smurf Ubisoft! Seriously.

Old Manus
04-21-2015, 11:30 AM
I have a bad feeling about this.

timemageelf
04-21-2015, 12:19 PM
EA better not screw this up.

Or they could launch it on steam instead of Origin. It sucks really bad.

zackk
04-21-2015, 01:02 PM
I hope this one isn't disappointing, being a fan of the SW Franchise, I have high expectations for this game. The trailer is pretty amazing though.

Bolivar
04-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Aren't most AAA games these days shipped broken because they're in such a rush to finish them on time and know they can just patch it later and people will buy their trout anyway? Isn't that one of the big problems the industry is facing today or is that just EA/Ubisoft exclusive?

And since I said the name, smurf Ubisoft! Seriously.

The great majority of AAA games ship fine. The few that don't are over-sensationalized by the media to generate clicks, or by forum posters so as to fit their agenda.

Smurf Ubisoft though!

CimminyCricket
04-21-2015, 02:55 PM
There will definitely be DLC, but hopefully it's just in the form of different pawn skins or something.

Skyblade
04-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Oh gosh. I didn't even think of the DLC potential. There's going to be plenty of Day One DLC. Stormtroopers will be in game. But you'll have to purchase DLC to get Snowtroopers, Scouttroopers, etcetera.

But all the DLC developed post-game will be put on hold in order to fix the bugs.

Freya
04-21-2015, 03:35 PM
I guess i'm the only one who doesn't care about DLC. Like I don't HAVE to buy it and if I want to, so what? Just extra stuff.

CimminyCricket
04-21-2015, 03:59 PM
I don't usually buy DLC, but there are those here and there that I want just because. I think in all the years that I've been playing PS3/XBOX360/+ I've spent maybe 20 bucks? For Battlefield I wait until the Premium comes out as a one disc set for 40 or 50 buckaroos.

Slothy
04-21-2015, 04:20 PM
The great majority of AAA games ship fine. The few that don't are over-sensationalized by the media to generate clicks, or by forum posters so as to fit their agenda.

The launch of Sim City was most definitely not over a sensationalized. And I'm sure the people who bought BF4 and couldn't even play it didn't feel like they were exaggerating to fit some fictional personal agenda.

The reality is games do get released in a poor state to meet deadlines far too often, and just because they worked well enough for some does not mean that is the experience of the majority, or at least a sizeable minority. And I don't blame anyone not willing to tolerate paying money for a game that doesn't work until days or even weeks later (such as with BF4 where they eventually pulled everyone who was working on DLC so they could try and fix the main game weeks after release). It'd be like buying a computer, getting it home, and finding out the monitor doesn't work. It's a situation that may be fixed in relatively short order, but you still paid money and have to wait or go through even more effort to get to even use it. Except it's worse in the case of games to some extent because their QA frequently find most of the issues and the game is still released anyway instead of being pushed back another week or two.

Freya
04-21-2015, 04:42 PM
I also bought SimCity Day one, and the expansion, and didn't have any issue with it either. I mean sometimes login times to the server was slow but :gator: I had patience, I guess.

Maybe that's the issue, people expect instant gratification but sometimes things just don't go as planned. Like they didn't anticipate it to sell as well so they didn't realize their servers were too small. Servers cost a lot so paying for extra servers you may not even need isn't viable. So they plan on what they project as popularity and have servers based on that. Or maybe in their testing they never encountered a glitch but then when it's published, some people are getting it and throwing huge fits. Everyone knows how people like to blow things out of proportion on the internet. When you're making games today, there's a lot more coding and what not then ever before. I understand that. I understand things can mess up. If I can't play a game right at the moment due to issues I go do something else.

If the game is broke for an extended period of time, that's when I get grumpy. But Launch week? That happens. It happens with computers, it happens with practically anything code based. Why do you think your apps get updated all the time? Feeling as if things can't be normal and things have to be absolutely perfect is silly to me and also a bit elitist. (sorry anyone who is offended by that but it's just how I personally feel)

Vyk
04-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Watch a couple of Angry Joe reviews and/or rants and you get an idea that it happens more frequently. But it's mostly on games and/or features I am not even interested in. PC Diablo 3 got boned by that with server load and the requirement to even be online to play so when the servers can't accept you, then you can't play the game you bought. Sim City, Assassin's Creed Unity, Watch Dogs, Battlefield, the last couple Total War games, and wasn't Evolve pretty broken as well, despite all the hype?

It is mostly Triple-A titles though. And at that, its mostly online/multiplayer features. I'm not very interested in these games, and especially not interested in those features. Pretty sure Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was broken the first week as well. And didn't bother me in the slightest as I only wanted to play the main game

But Wasteland 2 was pretty broken upon release as well, especially for AMD users. But it was still playable, it would just likely roast your graphics card for no reason. And at least inXile cared. They pushed it back once or twice, and then warned people it was a thing when it was released, and that they were working frantically to fix it as their top priority. You'd never see EA or Ubisoft say to their fans "Sorry, but we have to get this out the door. Expect this problem and this problem if you use this type of computer". For some reason they'd MUCH rather the backlash and fan hate. Any publicity I guess

That being said, the last few launch games we've bought have been fine. Bloodborne has a couple hiccups, but nothing extremely game-breaking in my experience. My girlfriend got Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors on launch for the PS4 and no problems with those. I haven't experienced any problems with Final Fantasy Type-0, Resident Evil: Revelations 2, or REmakeHD and I got all those on launch. But they're not Triple-A titles. They're not using over-inflated budgets, or ridiculously high fidelity graphics engines. And they are fantastic games. I there's more than just online features I don't support. I think the one and only super high fidelity game I've gotten and enjoyed was The Last of Us. So for some reason, my personal preference in video games keeps me pretty safe from these fiascos most of the time. I'm never going to buy Call of Duty or Battlefield, so I'm never going to be disappointed by them

Bolivar
04-21-2015, 05:18 PM

The launch of Sim City was most definitely not over a sensationalized. And I'm sure the people who bought BF4 and couldn't even play it didn't feel like they were exaggerating to fit some fictional personal agenda.

The reality is games do get released in a poor state to meet deadlines far too often, and just because they worked well enough for some does not mean that is the experience of the majority, or at least a sizeable minority. And I don't blame anyone not willing to tolerate paying money for a game that doesn't work until days or even weeks later (such as with BF4 where they eventually pulled everyone who was working on DLC so they could try and fix the main game weeks after release). It'd be like buying a computer, getting it home, and finding out the monitor doesn't work. It's a situation that may be fixed in relatively short order, but you still paid money and have to wait or go through even more effort to get to even use it. Except it's worse in the case of games to some extent because their QA frequently find most of the issues and the game is still released anyway instead of being pushed back another week or two.

If someone points out that a game is broken or is upset it's not working, that's just calling a spade a spade.

The sensationalism and agenda come in where people pretend this is somehow endemic of AAA game development or happens "far too often" as you say in your post. We are well into Q2 2015 and there have not been any high profile broken launches this year. I bought four AAA games and a slew of downloadable titles last holiday and only 1, Drive Club, had issues. And in that case, it wasn't because a greedy publisher rushed it out the door, they just under projected sales and the servers were not ready for the day 1 load - even then, the single player ran beautifully. Conversely, Destiny and Advanced Warfare were the biggest multiplayer launches of the year and both went off without a hitch.

Maybe if you actually played these kinds of games I would give your argument more credit but right now it reads like under-informed paranoia.

Fox
04-21-2015, 08:27 PM
The sensationalism and agenda come in where people pretend this is somehow endemic of AAA game development or happens "far too often" as you say in your post. We are well into Q2 2015 and there have not been any high profile broken launches this year.

Well, EA haven't launched anything big yet this year :roll2

Bolivar
04-21-2015, 08:39 PM
I know you're joking but

IGN: "Battlefield: Hardline Was March's Top Selling Game" (http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/04/16/marchs-top-selling-game)

Skyblade
04-21-2015, 08:40 PM
I know you're joking but

IGN: "Battlefield: Hardline Was March's Top Selling Game" (http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/04/16/marchs-top-selling-game)

It was also basically an expansion pack for Battlefield 4 that did nothing except reskin existing content.

Also, positive sales are not indicative of a working game. Case in point: Aliens Colonial Marines.

Bolivar
04-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Wat? Was just pointing out EA has already released big games this year.

Which worked upon launch, btw. Just like Battlefront will, as you shall soon learn to the dismay of your user tag :lol:

Don't get nervous Sky!

Ayen
04-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Smurf it, I'll have a piece of this wager. If the game ships broken I'LL PLAY ALL THREE FFXIII GAMES WITH AN OPEN MIND!

Scotty_ffgamer
04-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Does playing them include beating them?

Ayen
04-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Does playing them include beating them?

Let's be realistic here, I can't even beat the games I like.

It means I will play them for an ample quantity of time as is necessary to write a 1,000 words length review on their content.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-21-2015, 10:54 PM
There was going to be more to that post, but I cannot remember what anymore. I got a phone call while I was typing so I meant to just exit out but apparently I posted it, woops.

I never did play much of the old Battlefront games. I was terrible at the little I did play, but it was pretty fun. I rarely have friends I can play games with anymore though; so, this game will probably be a pass for me. Best case scenario will be one of my coworkers/old coworkers getting it because we would then likely have a get together at some point to play it. We usually just see movies together, but they are all super excited about Star Wars so I'm sure they'd be excited to try out the game too.

Freya
04-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Here's some info about the game from various interviews.

1. There is no single player campaign, just a few missions depicting moments from the original trilogy that can be played solo or cooperatively.

2. There is no galactic conquest mode.

3. The max player count is capped at 40 across all platforms. When asked whether bots would be featured DICE responded with "no comment".

4. There are no space battles or fighting in orbit, and air units will be confined to the area above ground maps like in the Battlefield franchise.

5. The game will launch with only 4 playable planets, though how many maps will be set on each is unclear.

6. Only units and characters from the Original Trilogy will be featured.

7. The AT-AT walkers shown in the trailer and promotional stills will not be player controlled, and will instead follow a scripted path across the battlefield.

CimminyCricket
04-22-2015, 03:27 PM
It all seems so limiting until I think about how much there's available for them to do with those limitations.

Vyk
04-22-2015, 04:02 PM
It's still not really a Battlefront game. They may as well called it something else. The battlefront games never punished anyone for wanting to play solo

Psychotic
04-22-2015, 05:32 PM

1. There is no single player campaign, just a few missions depicting moments from the original trilogy that can be played solo or cooperatively.

3. The max player count is capped at 40 across all platforms. When asked whether bots would be featured DICE responded with "no comment".

4. There are no space battles or fighting in orbit, and air units will be confined to the area above ground maps like in the Battlefield franchise.

5. The game will launch with only 4 playable planets, though how many maps will be set on each is unclear.

7. The AT-AT walkers shown in the trailer and promotional stills will not be player controlled, and will instead follow a scripted path across the battlefield.Well that's shit.

Shauna
04-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Getting the disappointment in early.

Fox
04-22-2015, 07:52 PM

7. The AT-AT walkers shown in the trailer and promotional stills will not be player controlled, and will instead follow a scripted path across the battlefield.

...I know you're just the messenger with all this Freya but I was happy until I read your post so I feel like I have to hold you responsible for my disappointment. For shame. :cry:

Freya
04-22-2015, 08:02 PM
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/random-ness/images/9/9f/Darth_vader_no.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120616003315

Psychotic
04-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Freyas gonna frey :colbert:

...shit, should've saved that for Dothraki Wedding.

Ayen
04-23-2015, 02:40 AM
I haven't seen hype die this fast since Square revealed FFVII on PlayStation 4!

I guess i'm the only one who doesn't care about DLC. Like I don't HAVE to buy it and if I want to, so what? Just extra stuff.

Oh, hey, I missed this.

The problem with DLC is when companies abuse it to weasel more money out of its customer base by purposely leaving things out that's technically already on the disc but you have to give them more money to access it. Your new release is either 40 or 60 bucks in the US (and however much they sell it in other countries) imagine paying that only to lack other things in the game because they want more money out of you. This is where Day 1 DLC is particularly annoying because you just spent sixty bucks and already they want you to pay more for the game you just brought home. This doesn't even get into similar tactics involving pre-orders. And after you paid that much for a game, it's nice to have a product that actually works. My mom got me Batman Arkham Origins for Christmas and I ran into three different instances where the game froze while playing it and I had to restart just to get it working again. That was a good two months after it came out and it was the offline single player campaign. That's just ridiculous. Don't even get me started on Telltale's corrupt file bulltrout and I got TWD S2 a year after its release and the bug existed since the first game.

Vyk
04-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Yeah. So its not Battlefront. And I'm surprised nobody thought this was going to happen. So uh... does it matter anymore if it works at launch if nobody wants to play it? :P

Freya
04-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Was I the only one who didn't play the campaign much anyway? I just murdered my brother a lot. Gooooood times.

"Day 1 DLC? It wasn't included? That sucks. Oh well, if I want to play it I'll DL it." That's my reaction to it.

Yall are too stressed out over trivial things.

Bolivar
04-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Yeah. So its not Battlefront. And I'm surprised nobody thought this was going to happen. So uh... does it matter anymore if it works at launch if nobody wants to play it? :P

It matters to Skyblade :)

But yeah I said earlier this was going to be Battlefield with a few bones thrown to fans. Which is fine by me because Battlefield games are always really good. I never got into Battlefront so most of these changes don't bother me. I was looking for a single player campaign though and the AT-AT's being AI controlled is a massive missed opportunity. Not sure how they let that happen.

Skyblade
04-23-2015, 07:42 PM

It matters to Skyblade :)

But yeah I said earlier this was going to be Battlefield with a few bones thrown to fans. Which is fine by me because Battlefield games are always really good. I never got into Battlefront so most of these changes don't bother me. I was looking for a single player campaign though and the AT-AT's being AI controlled is a massive missed opportunity. Not sure how they let that happen.

Seems obvious to me.

Psychotic
04-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Pre-order bonuses and especially retailer specific ones are worse than DLC. Let's carve up pieces of the game to get a quick buck from Gamestop, Amazon et al and who gives a fuck if it means our fans have to buy it from seven different stores to get the full experience?

Randy
04-23-2015, 09:00 PM
This might be the first time I play a shooter for the last decade. Those graphics are looking tasty!

Ayen
04-23-2015, 11:57 PM
Was I the only one who didn't play the campaign much anyway? I just murdered my brother a lot. Gooooood times.

"Day 1 DLC? It wasn't included? That sucks. Oh well, if I want to play it I'll DL it." That's my reaction to it.

Yall are too stressed out over trivial things.

People care about different things. Doesn't mean they're stressed out about it.

Pre-order bonuses and especially retailer specific ones are worse than DLC. Let's carve up pieces of the game to get a quick buck from Gamestop, Amazon et al and who gives a smurf if it means our fans have to buy it from seven different stores to get the full experience?

I can agree with this. That sounds troutty.

Psychotic
04-24-2015, 08:29 AM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/photobucketamazingness/EA_zpsmhbmgnqn.jpg

A game 10 years ago having more depth than a game today is just smurfing insane. But then maybe I'm the insane one and this is just the way things are now.

Incidentally I just discovered you can get Battlefront II on Steam and there's all sorts of mods like graphical mods. Anybody else fancy getting it and playing spacemen with me? :3:

Ayen
04-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Yeah, you'd think the newer game would have more depth since we have more technology now.

I'm tempted. I'd have to make a deposit and make room on my harddrive, but it's doable for me. Is it something you'd recommend for me, though?

Psychotic
04-24-2015, 09:20 AM
It's one of my all time favourite games. I recommend it to every citizen of planet Earth.

Old Manus
04-24-2015, 09:37 AM

Ayen
04-24-2015, 09:42 AM
It's one of my all time favourite games. I recommend it to every citizen of planet Earth.

Bank deposit it is. Good thing I overpaid my barber.

Skyblade
04-24-2015, 12:59 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/photobucketamazingness/EA_zpsmhbmgnqn.jpg

A game 10 years ago having more depth than a game today is just smurfing insane. But then maybe I'm the insane one and this is just the way things are now.

Incidentally I just discovered you can get Battlefront II on Steam and there's all sorts of mods like graphical mods. Anybody else fancy getting it and playing spacemen with me? :3:

But don't forget: The new one looks prettier. What else matters?

Shauna
04-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Jim Sterling was hesitant to get excited about this on his Jimquisition on Monday. Seems that he was right to not be.

I have never played any Battlefront before. Perhaps I shall also get in on this Steam action.

Psychotic
04-24-2015, 01:46 PM
You should!

For reference ToriJ it's just under 4GB.

EDIT: Now Steam has decided it's 2.3GB. I don't even.

Old Manus
04-24-2015, 02:44 PM
I bought it on Steam a while back. Dat graphical improvement on the PS2 version. I hear the multiplayer functionality is gone now though.

Psychotic
04-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Yeah, they took the official servers down. Though there's apparently a mod you can install to get online again.

CimminyCricket
04-24-2015, 03:08 PM
I played the second one, just not very often. :C

Vyk
04-24-2015, 09:27 PM
They seriously should have just done a Battlefront HD Remix. Forget the retarded high fidelity graphics nobody asked for or is even all that interested in. Nobody ever hated a Star Wars game for having stylized graphics. And don't call it Battlefront without having Battlefront features

Seems like typical EA, but this is actually more akin to things Sega does. I'm not an age-old Battlefront fan, but I can imagine this is similar to us Shining Force fans waiting years for any addition to the series only to have the series retconned and bastardized into something generic and cookie-cutter without any of the charm and/or appeal of the older games

I get a weird feeling they only got the Star Wars license because of BioWare and their KoTOR history. Even though BioWare is busy and has no interest in doing KotOR 3, and not only that, but last I heard Lucas Arts was putting an Axe to any extended universe stuff, which KotOR probably would be considered and they want to concentrate on strictly canon stories around the current movies and nothing more. And I can't imagine BioWare ever being all that interested in touching that with all those limitations

Bolivar
04-25-2015, 04:15 AM
While we might not get KotOR 3 or a true Battlefront, one plus of EA having the Star Wars license is that Amy Hennig is making an action adventure game in the setting. She was the creative director behind the console Uncharted games.

Psychotic
04-25-2015, 12:53 PM
otDkBqDwPEA

If anyone was uncertain about getting BFII or like Tori don't know what it's all about, here's 7 minutes of me playing it!

Skyblade
04-25-2015, 01:08 PM
otDkBqDwPEA

If anyone was uncertain about getting BFII or like Tori don't know what it's all about, here's 7 minutes of me playing it!

Also, just going to say: I will not be at all surprised if BFII turns out looking better than the new one.

Shauna
04-25-2015, 08:30 PM
I was a bit out. 25 is just a teeny bit less than what you actually got.

Seems like it could be p fun. And it's not too expensive either!

Ayen
04-25-2015, 11:49 PM
I cba to go to the bank.

Leigh
04-26-2015, 07:47 AM
Jedi Knight series is still the best Star Wars series. They need to make another one of those bad boys.

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 07:02 AM
Looking forward to the new Battlefront 3! I used to play BF2 all the time along with other Star Wars games.

Psychotic
10-08-2015, 06:27 PM
The beta is now available for free download for PC, PS4 and XB1. It's going to run until Monday. Definitely worth having a look if you're like me and unsure! I will report my findings as a BF veteran in this thread and if anyone's on PS4 I'd love to play with you this weekend - it's free, don't forget!

Pheesh
10-09-2015, 02:14 AM
The beta is now available for free download for PC, PS4 and XB1. It's going to run until Monday. Definitely worth having a look if you're like me and unsure! I will report my findings as a BF veteran in this thread and if anyone's on PS4 I'd love to play with you this weekend - it's free, don't forget!

I'm extremely pumped because it means I actually get to play a little bit of this game. The release date for it is one day before I leave for England (without my beloved PS4), which means I was going to miss out on it unless I grab it for PC.

Anyway, left mine downloading overnight and I'll be on after work today. PSN: Mr_Obesity

Psychotic
10-09-2015, 09:30 PM
First impressions time!

Absolutely beautiful game, both graphically and soundwise. The locations are gorgeous and intricate and the blaster fire both looks and feels incredible, as do the explosions that rumble on around you.
It's definitely not Battlefront 3. Battlefront as we knew it is dead. That's not to say being different is an inherently bad thing. It's just that fans of the old series shouldn't be drawn to this one because it has the same name and theme, which is what I had sort of in my heart of hearts hoped for.
Definitely one of the most frantic and intense shooters I've ever played. 20 vs 20 will do that I guess. Still, this can lead to you dying repeatedly from all sorts of different directions without knowing where it came from.
The partner system is cool. Essentially it randomly assigns a member of your team to be your buddy and you always have the option to spawn on them, provided they're alive. You can sometimes end up in a firefight and get spawnkilled though!
I appreciate this isn't Battlefront specific and is common in most FPS, but the "level up by playing and gain new equipment!" mechanic is stupid and needs to stop. It only exists to encourage people to play more and creates unfair advantages. Here I am, bumbling about with the equivalent of a machine gun while everyone has sniper rifles and jetpacks. While I'm on the subject...
No, there shouldn't be smurfing sniper rifle spawns for everyone on a multiplayer game dear god.
If you ever play on Hoth as the Rebels you are so smurfing dead. You are smurfed seven ways to Sunday. Take one step out into the open and you can see AT-ATs, AT-STs and Vader himself bearing down on you. And to make matters worse the Empire can take over the Rebel's turrets and smurf them up with them. I say worse, it's my favourite trick as the Empire :shobon: I've never seen the Rebels win Hoth once. It's a massacre.

I guess you can say my views are mixed!

Pheesh
10-09-2015, 11:50 PM
My first impressions are as follows.

-I am a pretty hardcore player of destiny, and it is an absolute breath of fresh air to play a game of pvp and not be close quarter shotgunned at every turn. This game rewards a more skilled hand and I was able to jump straight to a high KD ratio right off the bat, which was a good feeling.
-It IS extremely hard to tell where you are getting shot from. Basically if you get caught in someone's sights and you don't immediately see them then you're fucked. You'll be whipping your sights around while your health is quickly melted down and you eventually die. I don't really mind this because it promotes sticking to the trenches that are available to you. This game truly feels like a war more than a deathmatch.
-Sniper rifles on a cooldown, I love you. I'm not sure if that system will stay that way once everyone is level 5000 or whatever, but at the moment that is an awesome way to make sure that no one can just camp those massive open maps and mow everyone down (I tried doing this and though I had a good KD, I got significantly less kills as when I wasn't sniping). Add to this that the sniper rifle scopes don't have a very crazy zoom and you're left with a game that promotes moving your way carefully up the map so you can get kills with your primary weapon.
-STAR WARS! Music, atmosphere, soundeffects, holy fucking balls stay away from me Darth Vader you dirty bastard, all these things are spot on. I love that universe and this plops you right into the thick of it.
-Despite all the good things I've just listed... it's kinda boring. But I'm 90% sure this is just BETA limitations, because 2 maps over two game modes is never going to be the most varied experience. On top of that I've not been able to spawn as Luke or Vader yet and I've never found myself inside an AT-AT or a TIE fighter, so it's just been shooting for me so far.

I think the full game will be a much grander experience, but the gameplay and atmosphere has laid the groundwork for this game to be extremely epic.

Tyson
10-10-2015, 07:41 AM
I downloaded the beta last night, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and played the previous battlefronts. I've also put like 100 hours into Battlefield 4 so I figured this would be right up my alley.

I enjoyed my time with it but I do have some issues, firstly all the guns are WAAAY too accurate, i get they're laser weapons so the projectiles wouldn't be affected my gravity or wind but you can pretty easily snipe people on the other side of the map with the regular blaster. This was always my problem with COD, whack an ACOG scope on your heavy machine gun and you can pretty much kill anyone at any distance.

I also hope they have some kind of hardcore mode, I pretty much play BF4 exclusively on hardcore. I guess cause I grew up playing shooters like Counter Strike: Souce I hate shooters where you have to empty half a clip in people before they die (looking at you Halo). This isn't quite so bad but people can still take a few shots.

Oh and pretty much what everyone else has said but the rebels don't stand a chance on Hoth, probably played 20 or so matches and they won once.

Psychotic
10-10-2015, 03:18 PM
I've not been a Jedi yet, but I've had fun in all of the vehicles and it's as awesome as you'd expect. I think people are slowly figuring out how to win as the Rebels now and unless you're on a team that just wants to say fuck it to the objectives and just play Deathmatch (which the Rebels will still get their asses handed to them in so there really is no point) you can have some close battles with great defence.

Ayen
12-05-2015, 04:56 AM
So... who won the bet between Bolivar and Skyblade?

Freya
01-18-2016, 08:05 PM
It's taken me ages to get this game but I got this game finally for my PC.

It's so much fun.

But the Rebel heroes suck compared to vader's crew.

Formalhaut
01-19-2016, 12:26 AM
We got this as part of the dirt cheap deal I got from my older brother (he was selling his PS4 to us for £200, with three games).

It seems fun enough, but Mr. Carny isn't really a multi-player type person, and the lack of hardly any single-player modes doesn't make for much playability.

Ayen
01-19-2016, 01:13 AM
It's taken me ages to get this game but I got this game finally for my PC.

It's so much fun.

But the Rebel heroes suck compared to vader's crew.

I swear the Dark Side either have the bigger budget or they just spend more. They always seem to have the better equipment.

That always get beat in the movies...