PDA

View Full Version : New Jurrasic World Poster

Night Fury
04-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Just saw this crop up on Facebook. I'm looking forward to the movie, but this poster has me a little disappointed.

My first thoughts about the poster are actually that it's very telling about Bryce Dallas Howard's character. It's almost like she's looking in a mirror and seeing her reflection that she's a monster. Anyone else getting this vibe?

Did anyone else happen to see that Joss Whedon called out a teaser for being a bit sexist too (http://variety.com/2015/film/news/joss-whedon-jurassic-world-sexist-tweet-1201472164/)? On the one hand you know what, it's an action flick, I'm used to these tropes - uptight bitchy scientist lady has been in pretty much everything. I hope they try and turn it around. I still can't help but feel a bit annoyed if this is what they've gone with though - it's so cliche. I'm guessing that Chris Pratt's character will break down her walls and save her and loosen her up or something because he's so buff and sexy and so wild and free and she'll fall in love with him! Who knows? Me. I know.

I'm still looking forward to it though because dinosaurs. I was just hoping for awesome characters - she could still be though. Holding out some hope! What do you all think and what are you expecting from the characters in this movie?

Ayen
04-18-2015, 10:19 AM
I see a poster with a woman looking at a dinosaur.

I haven't been following any news on this so this is the first I'm hearing of it. Valid concern is valid. Not sure if it's something I want to watch. I was kind of burned out on Jurassic Park after the third movie.

Bubba
04-18-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm more intrigued as to what the dinosaur is thinking.

Dinosaur: "I'm a lot smaller than I thought I was. Also, Barry told me I was a brunette, the knob."

Shauna
04-18-2015, 10:33 AM
I am assuming this is a misfire and is supposed to be in The Lounge.

I am cautiously optimistic. As I am about all things. xD Dinosaurs are cool, so really, what could go wrong?

Chris
04-18-2015, 01:08 PM
I grew up with JP, and I am even old enough to have seen the original movie, in its original run, in the theater.

Tyson
04-19-2015, 07:02 AM
It's almost like she's looking in a mirror and seeing her reflection that she's a monster. Anyone else getting this vibe?

Did anyone else happen to see that Joss Whedon called out a teaser for being a bit sexist too (http://variety.com/2015/film/news/joss-whedon-jurassic-world-sexist-tweet-1201472164/)? On the one hand you know what, it's an action flick, I'm used to these tropes - uptight bitchy scientist lady has been in pretty much everything. I hope they try and turn it around. I still can't help but feel a bit annoyed if this is what they've gone with though - it's so cliche. I'm guessing that Chris Pratt's character will break down her walls and save her and loosen her up or something because he's so buff and sexy and so wild and free and she'll fall in love with him! Who knows? Me. I know.

That's generally how all Jurassic park movies go, humans try and have too much control over genetics and end up regretting it. So I'm fine with that still being the central theme. Wouldn't feel like JP without it.

I did read Joss Whedon's comment and thought it was kind of stupid honestly :S Which pains me to say because I'm a huge Joss fan. He has always been very critical about any kind of female character that isn't traditionally 'strong' tho. That's why pretty much everything he ever makes has women who can do quadruple back-flips and snap mens necks like chicken bones.

To me that's not empowering at all tho, it actually has a negative effect as he's basically saying if a woman wants to be strong they have to essentially.....be men. I much prefer female characters that use there femininity as an advantage.

It will be disappointing if she ends up as a helpless uptight damsel. But I'm hoping her character is abit deeper then that.

That being said I'm super excited for Jurassic World and will go see it first day, my biggest concern however is there going to use too much CG. They have come out and said there going to try and use more puppetry like the first two directed by Spielberg. We'll see tho, I'm not sold on what I've seen in the trailers.

krissy
04-22-2015, 02:32 AM
new trailer doesn't look like it'll be a great movie i guess
sorry
had high hopes
maybe pratt will save it somehow i dunno
or maybe it's just a bad trailer

Richard
05-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Its okay....I guess. It looks better than the new T-5 poster that they just crapped out for us Terminator fans to look at! XD

Ayen
05-07-2015, 06:29 AM
Its okay....I guess. It looks better than the new T-5 poster that they just crapped out for us Terminator fans to look at! XD

I saw that poster today and agree it was meh.

I also saw a trailer of this movie at the theaters today and it looks good, but I know looks can be decieving. At the end of the day I just want to see cool looking CGI dinosaurs eat people. I don't give a trout about the human characters.

I don't think most people who see these movies do.

Rocket Edge
05-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Just saw this crop up on Facebook. I'm looking forward to the movie, but this poster has me a little disappointed.
How would you angle this then?

I don't feel like it's sexist at all, unless he is describing the 'uptight woman falls for fun guy who opens her up emotionally' thing. If that's the case, why blame this movie? There's plenty more films that had this pattern going on, and plenty of them aimed at a female audience.