PDA

View Full Version : Beauty stuff n that

Night Fury
04-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Well, I'm done asking deep and meaningful stuff now.

What is your beauty regime?

Are you really into doing yourself up? Or do you just do the basics?

I used to be well into pampering but now because I moved to Aus I don't know all the good products and I don't work anymore so don't have the money to spend on lotions and potions.

I used to love bubble baths with bath bombs, I used to paint my nails about 3 times a week, would use gradual tan moisturiser, hair masks, face masks...

Now, if I'm having a pamper day I'll just have a longer shower than usual - our bath is way too big and takes too long to fill up. I'll use a hair butter, or maybe use an in shower moisturiser and leave my conditioner on for a while, chuck some hair oil in. I made a coffee face scrub the other week which is really nice, actually and makes my skin really soft. I only paint my nails on occasion now because it chips so quickly. Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and just see an absolute hag looking back and wonder what on earth my boyfriend sees in me xD

I'm trying to primp and preen a bit more lately but.... effort.

Pumpkin
04-18-2015, 03:51 PM
I just shower and wash and brush my hair. I like wearing nailpolish sometimes.

I have some body sprays now that I absolutely love because I'm always worried about stinking. They give me just a hint of pretty smell and it makes me happy and I can go out feeling a bit more confident.

I still feel like crap about my weight though but I'm working on it :(

Pumpkin
04-18-2015, 04:01 PM
I got this one: http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18275056&cp=4090260.4090355.19721986
And this one: http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21434506&cm_vc=200
(and some body washes)

They were pretty affordable and there is a good amount in them so they're lasting a while. Not as fancy as some perfumes but they do give a touch of a nice smell.

I like the second one more but they're both pretty good

noxious.sunshine
04-18-2015, 04:27 PM
I'll take a long bath on occasion and read. I've got some bath bombs from Lush that smell really amazing, but they're kind of pricey ($6 for 1).

I'm really not into spending a ton of time on primping and prepping, though I've kind of forced myself to be more involved in the process. I've finally broken down and bought my first anti-aging cream (yes, I have wrinkles. Deep ones in my forehead and between my eyebrows that drive me insane and I've got fine lines around my eyes... I think). And I've invested in things like concealer and makeup primer and an illuminating spray that supposedly sets your makeup.

I do use gradual moisturizing tanner. My grocery doesn't have my Jergen's Gradual Tanning Foam that I love so much, but they do have an insta-bronzing foam that I'm somewhat liking right now. I'm pretty pale and I absolutely -hate- it. A lot. Having a bit of a tan makes me look and feel skinnier and just prettier overall.

Hair? I just blow dry it mostly upside down and then flip my head back up and blow dry it straight. I can look kind of frizzy, so I've got this Garnier Fructis smoothing oil that I started using. I just put a tad on my fingers and run my fingers through my hair starting from about halfway up before I finish drying it. My hair is naturally straight, but I can tie it up in a knotted bun without using any elastics or hair clips and it'll become wavy after a few minutes.

For whatever reason, if I take a curling iron to my hair (I have a big 1.5" barrel one), my hair will NOT hold the curl. It really pisses me off. It'll look good for about 5 minutes and then it's fallen flat and straightened itself back out. It's annoying as fuck. I don't mind my straight hair, but it'd be nice to have big full bouncy curls sometimes.

I don't paint my nails. I bite them.

Makeup is the anti-aging cream, primer, concealer, foundation, eyeliner, mascara. I'm not good at doing fancy eyeshadow tricks and contouring.

MissH
04-18-2015, 06:49 PM
I have no issue with going to the shops or wherever with no make-up and joggers and a hoodie on. But when I need to dress up,I'm a real girly girl.

I spend a fortune on make-up (mainly MAC). I really love doing make-up. Nice smokey eyes,eyelashes, a bit of contouring. Then I'll put my hair extensions in, curl them and brush them through so they're wavy.

I have bio gel put on my nails every 3-4 weeks. In my job, there's no way regular nail polish would last one day without chipping, but gel stays perfect for weeks.

I'll usually just put tan on if I have an event coming up because tanning is my most hated pampering task- it just tasks what seems an eternity!

One day I hope they invent a machine where you can select how you want your hair and make-up and you can just step in and it does it for you within minutes!

fire_of_avalon
04-20-2015, 04:29 AM
Almost everything I use drugstore level because I simply cannot bring myself to pay department store prices.

I'm a night time bather so around 9ish I'll take a shower each day. I wash my hair on alternating days, so on wash days I use head and shoulders shampoo and usually a Pantene conditioner. I have tried every conditioner under the sun for curly hair and Pantene is still what my hair likes best.

I generally let the conditioner soak for a few minutes while I finish cleaning. Right now I'm using an aveeno body wash. Its ok. I will probably switch to something else when this bottle is done. I am not at all brand loyal to bodywashes or soaps.

I always wash my face last so the steam from the shower opens up all my pores. Then I wash my face with the Neutrogena scrub in the white bottle. One time I decided I was a grown up and I should use a grown up face wash and my skin INSTANTLY broke out and I was sad. Never again. I scrub the scrub off with a washcloth, rinse my hair and dry off.

People with curly hair aren't supposed to rub their hair with a towel, but smurf you people who write about hair advice, I totally do.

Then I moisturize my face and neck with the moisturizer that matches my face scrub. After that I lotion up everything else with Burt's Bees milk and honey body lotion and yeah it smells a little funny but smurf you judgey mcjudger, I am a soft little baby.

I try to take really good care of my skin because it is the only skin I have.

While my hair is damp I put in this cream that has argan oil in it, then some spray gel to help it stay calm. I have tried every curly hair doodad except the billion dollar ones and this really simple combo is most effective so go to Hell, ouidad, with your fifty dollar climate cream.

99% of the time I don't wear make up. I do try to put on sunscreen everyday but I'm not the most consistent. When I do wear make up its usually just mascara and it is a drugstore brand. If I wear skin coverage I shy away from foundation as it inevitably melts or makes me hot or makes me look frumpy. I wear an urban decay bb cream instead and it is one of my two fancy ass things. The other is I sometimes wear Ralph Lauren fragrance.

My eye palette is a drugstore knock off of the urban decay naked line. I hate lipstick with a passion because any and all lipsticks make me look like like a hideous clown lady. I use pink or peach colored crayons or balms.

What is a bath bomb and does it explode?

Night Fury
04-20-2015, 05:03 AM
Bath bombs are awesome. They can have many different smells, sometimes they have glitter or confetti packed in them, sometimes they make lots of bubbles, sometimes they just go fizz as the whizz round the bath while you're in it and it's like a really, really, really poor persons jacuzzi. They make the water all nice colours and stuff.

saH3pMqRzf0

Shorty
04-20-2015, 05:26 AM
I shower every other day because I hate showering. Like foa, I am not a shampoo/conditioner/soap loyalist. I constantly switch brands and I buy Organix Coconut when I feel like getting a little pricier. Otherwise, Herbal Essences is probably in my shower. I prefer shower gel to actual soap, and I am in a constant switch of generic brands. Shampoo is the first thing I work on so I can get the conditioner in to sit for as long as possible.

Also like foa, I wash my face last to let my pores open up. Neutrogena blue bottle! Apricot scrub a couple of times a week. No salicylic acid oh my god or my face turns into the Negev desert. I don't like shaving so I do it as little as possible, unless I am exposing my legs somehow (thank god for leggings). Also maybe tmi I buy special lady wash because I am diligent with downstairs hygiene.

Once a week or so after a long, hot bath, I use an Olay microdermabrasion kit that feels and smells sooo nice, followed by an Olay mud mask, then Pond's moisturizing cream. I have been advised that Pond's is for old ladies and I give no smurfs; I have tried a million different moisturizers and this one is the one for me. My face needs moisturizer or again, Negev desert situation. Then comes teeth-brushing and mouthwash. I do not use body moisturizer or lotion unless I am feeling particularly pampered and want to smell good.

Begin blow-drying hair until it goes from sopping wet to damp-dry, apply a palmful of mousse that I work into the crown of my head and a dab of Moroccan oil to the ends of my hair, then continue blowdrying until dry. Then I section off layers of my hair for straightening or curling. Then I spray hairspray and backcomb, spray and backcomb, spray and backcomb all around the crown and comb it down from looking like Robert Smith's bedhead and then follow by more hairspray. And then I probably have to touch up the ends again with the straightener or curling iron.

Then makeup! Hard Candy concealer, whatever foundation I am trying that month (Clinique is my preferred but it is pricey), a spot of powder if my skin is feeling especially oily, penciling in my eyebrows because they are sparse as smurf, a couple different earth-tone and natural shades for my eyeshadow, cateye eyeliner and mascara with an eyelash curler. Aside from foundation, eyeliner and mascara are the only makeup selections I care about coming from brand names. I have searched the world far and wide for a non-smearing waterproof eyeliner and mascara, and as far as I can tell, MAC are the only ones with the secret formula.

I do not really mess around with painting my nails or keeping them looking nice anymore. I am constantly chewing on my nails and fingers out of stress and the just get all smurfed up. I trim them once a week or so and paint my toes maybe once a month but that's as far of an effort as I can put into them.

And then miscellaneous like deodorant and etc touches; I am actually a brand loyalist with deodorant because Dove clinical strength is the best smelling deodorant I have ever found in my life. I don't remember what kind I get but I think it's lavender because the label I buy is purple. Oh and also perfume! I use Lucky brand as my "cheap" option because it smells sooo nice, but when I have some extra dough I will splurge on Body by Victoria.

Pampering involves a long, superhot bath with some scented candles and a show playing on my laptop, an exfoliating regiment followed by the microdermabrasion and mask routine, and doing my nails once in a while. I do this maybe a couple times a month, but I might start doing it every weekend because it's so relaxing. I need to get some essential oils for the water!

And that's it. :c If I'm rushing I can land a shower and getting totally ready in like an hour or something, but an hour fifteen is probably more accurate. If I skip the shower, I can usually do about thirty minutes and be comfortable to leave the house. Unless it's just running around doing errands or something like MissH says; then I give no smurfs. Getting ready is for going out, going to work, attending a special event, etc.

noxious.sunshine
04-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Bath Bombs are awesome and I love them. I have yet to use my 2nd one.

Perfumes... I'm currently using Daisy by Marc Jacobs 'cuz they had little sample sizes for $25 at Macy's. I've also got Coconut body spray from The Body Shoppe that I use with either their Almond or Honey body butter <3

I also love Beautiful Day from Bath & Body Works and Coconut Lime Verbena. ... I used to really love Honeysuckle, but my mom kind of hijacked that one from me and I just can't bring myself to wear it anymore.

Freya
04-21-2015, 04:23 PM
I am currently using DevaCurl's Sulfate and Silicone free no-poo cleanser and conditioner. I brush my hair with my fingers in the shower. When I'm out, I put a little bit of the conditioner as a leave-in. I then do a Hair Plop and let that sit a while. Take it off and let it air dry. My curls have never been better! I don't straighten or blowdry my hair anymore. If anything I'll use a diffuser to help dry it.

I lotion up and then proceed to do my makeup. Eyebrows have to be on point lately. I'm just discovering my love for lipstick though. That's new.

Bubba
04-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Trim beard, shower, brush teeth then put clothes on.

Shorty
04-21-2015, 06:46 PM
Trim beard, shower, brush teeth then put clothes on.

get out of here :mad2:

Shiny
04-22-2015, 12:43 AM
I'm pretty basic when it comes to makeup eventhough at the moment I'm not wearing any. I'll just put on eyeliner, mascara, and occasionally concealer and foundation if I'm haggard and tired.

For the rest of my routine, it's also pretty simple. Since I literally cannot do anything with my hair, all I do is brush it if I've gotten my hair done or I run my fingers through it. If I could have a professional hair stylist on call at all times that would be great. I also make sure I put sunblock on my face before I go out. Moisturizing your face and really all of your body is important.

I do wash my face in the morning and night, but what I use varies. I like to St. Ives Apricot Scrub, but I don't use that as frequently anymore but they helped when I had black heads on my nose.

My family has given me tons of perfumes as presents throughout the years, so I will wear that sometimes. My favorite one is the one I bought for myself and I wear that to work.

fire_of_avalon
04-25-2015, 05:44 PM
I am currently using DevaCurl's Sulfate and Silicone free no-poo cleanser and conditioner. I brush my hair with my fingers in the shower. When I'm out, I put a little bit of the conditioner as a leave-in. I then do a Hair Plop and let that sit a while. Take it off and let it air dry. My curls have never been better! I don't straighten or blowdry my hair anymore. If anything I'll use a diffuser to help dry it.

I lotion up and then proceed to do my makeup. Eyebrows have to be on point lately. I'm just discovering my love for lipstick though. That's new.

Re deva curl do you like it? Do you use it everyday? Does it smell funny? How is your scalp? People keep mentioning this product to me but I have scalp problems man. And expense problems also.

Bath bombs are weird.

Edit: I used to think I was so low maintenance but now that I read my routine I'm like what you are so prissy

Edit2: do y'all file or trim nails? I should probably be a filer since I keep mine sort of long but I haaaate filing.

Calliope
04-25-2015, 08:25 PM
I keep my nails very very short, which is a habit I've picked up from Spuuky. I am extremely low maintenance and find it irritating when friends of mine take an hour or so to get ready when we've agreed to meet at a certain time. I want to go out now!

I use skincare products by Origins and makeup by Urban Decay. It works fine, people always guess I'm younger than I am. I sometimes wear perfume, but most days I do not as it is forbidden in my line of work. My hair is either up, or down - I lack the patience to style it, and let it air dry. I should probably get a haircut soon. If I were rich, I'd buy a couple of different pairs of glasses and some giant manly watches. At this stage of my life, I mostly detest looking in the mirror, and do not have the energy to present an untrue image of myself to the world.

Shiny
04-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Don't bath bombs cause vaginal infections?

I cut my nails but I always mess them up and cut them in to a sharp dagger or too short them it becomes painful so now it's mostly just filing. That's honestly better.

Freya
04-27-2015, 08:09 PM

Re deva curl do you like it? Do you use it everyday? Does it smell funny? How is your scalp? People keep mentioning this product to me but I have scalp problems man. And expense problems also.

I like it. It's a no-poo cleanser so it's basically the same if you use the no-poo method. It's taken my hair a few weeks to get used to not stripping out all the oils. So for the first few weeks my hair was over producing oils and it was icky. Now though, I've been using it for about 6 weeks. My hair is much more curly and less weighed down. It smells minty so if you're not a fan of that then you wont like it. Luckily I got it gifted to me first so I didn't buy it to just try it out and not like it but I love it so I'll be actually buying more.

I wash my hair every two to three days cause apparently curls don't like being washed that much (i've learned a lot lately about it on naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com/learn/) and reddit's curly hair subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/curlyhair)) Usually I just put it on top of my head as what I call a
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/how-to-pineapple.jpg and take normal showers just I don't wash my hair. It's helped as I'm not stripping it so often. I also "Pineapple head" bun it for bed too. That way I don't have messy day two curls. Infact usually my day two curls look better than my day one curls.

As I touched on, I do what's called
http://www.naturallycurly.com/images/articles/plopping.jpgBecause curly hair is more absorbent, if you dry your hair with a normal towel it takes out a lot of moisture and gets frizzier. So if you take one of those fancy towels, or just do what I do and use an old t-shirt, put your product full hair (leave in conditioner or gel or whatever) on the top of your head and wrap the towel around and tie it. I just use a hair-tie to tie it behind my head. Then you leave that in while you go about the rest of your morning routine so the moisture can soak into your hair rather than drying out. Take the towel off and your hair is more buoyant from absorbing the moisture. Let it finish airdrying or use a diffuser and tada!

I have dry skin pretty much all over and general skin issues so my scalp really hasn't been affected negatively or positively. So I can't answer that one well. My hair has been pretty damaged from my treating it badly and also from all the sicknesses and medicines I take so it's a process to try to help fix it but I'm getting there!

I like it, and highly recommend it to other curlies. I found it on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-Cleanser-Condition-Conditioner/dp/B007XN2NMK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430160786&sr=8-3&keywords=deva+curl) for about $30 for both cleanser and conditioner. That varies depending on amazon's sales though.

starlet
04-27-2015, 10:35 PM
Im actually not too high maintenance, i dont think. I use a moisturizer and an eye cream after washing my face. I think most people here know I love doing makeup but I dont actually wear it that often, just "when I feel like it". But when I do, its most likely a black eye shadow factory's worth of eye shadow because im still that goth kid at heart >.>. My hair on the other hand....since I bleach and color the shit out of it, I use a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner to keep it from fading as fast, i use a leave in conditioner and some argon oil shit afterwards so my hair doesnt have the texture of hay. Its red and pink right now but i kind of want to switch to purple and lavender. HALP >.>