PDA

View Full Version : Budget food

Night Fury
04-18-2015, 11:24 AM
What meals do you make when you're on a really tight budget?

When I was younger we'd get like a corned beef stew made when we were really broke. It was cheap as trout to make and had lots of veggies and was tasty. Now that I live with Pheesh when we're really broke we'll make an aglio e olio pasta which is just spaghetti tossed in garlic, chilli, and oil. It's p. yummy and filling.

Growing up eating a lot of corned beef stew has meant that even though I'm a bit of a food snob and I do enjoy more premium produce, I'll never turn my nose up at corned beef. That stuff is awesome when you're in a financial pickle and you have mouths to feed.

Chris
04-18-2015, 01:10 PM
Spam. I still love spam. I've eaten my share of spam sandwiches.

Loony BoB
04-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Sandwiches, pasta, soup, chicken & veg, fruit, eggs.

Colonel Angus
04-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Pasta is always super cheap. You can even make a big pan of meatless sauce (which is cheaper) & keep it in the freezer for future meals.

CimminyCricket
04-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Soup and Ramen!

noxious.sunshine
04-18-2015, 03:40 PM
I will usually buy a big whole chicken and make a couple of meals with it - tacos or enchiladas, rice, and beans, chicken n dumplins or something.

In general, Mexican is my go to cheap on a budget though. I can make my own salsas and sauces for things and corn tortillas are hella cheap, low carb, and come in large stacks.

Potato tacos are another easy cheap meal. Boil some potatoes - Yukon gold or something, mash with chopped Roma tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Heat up some corn tortillas- enough until they're soft and easy to roll- and spoon in some of the potato filling and roll up like a taquito. Then add some veggie oil to the skillet and fry the taquitos up until golden and crunchy on all sides.

Although bonus points if you can make them yourself as masa is only like $2 or $3 for a 5 lb bag.

Cheap pot roast is another good one as I can fix it up
When I cook I usually wind up with a good amount of leftovers and that will tide us over for a couple of days without me having to cook again.

noxious.sunshine
04-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Yeah frozzen vedgies are a big thing with me, too. Especially if I'm feeling lazy about making sides and just wanna get things done. I tend to take my sweet sweet time in the kitchen 'cuz I just love cooking and stretch out my time there.

As far as beans- it's even cheaper to buy dried. I always have black beans. Oh and we always keep a huge bag of rice around. A 10lb bag is like $5 or something.

My thought on pot roast that I didn't finish: I can make taquitos with the leftover meat as well. Nomnomnom.

Another cheapo meal? Tuna tostadas. Get a can of tuna, some mayo, and a can of Veg-All mixed veggies and maybe a lime. Mix the tuna with the veg-all and some mayo and lime juice and salt & pepper if you want. Spread on a couple of tostadas and boom! Even cheaper- make your own tostadas by frying corn tortillas in some veggie oil until they're crispy.

Colonel Angus
04-18-2015, 04:47 PM
PB&J sandwiches & cereal are still relatively cheap.

Cloudane
04-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Instant noodles. I don't know if they're still 9p, probably more like 19p now, but still - alright with a side of similarly priced beans when you're poor.

Mirage
04-21-2015, 09:51 PM
Pasta is always super cheap. You can even make a big pan of meatless sauce (which is cheaper) & keep it in the freezer for future meals.

This is what I do. Lots of veggies and trout. I do use a tiny bit of meat though, but it isn't a lot compared to everything else.

Instant noodles. I don't know if they're still 9p, probably more like 19p now, but still - alright with a side of similarly priced beans when you're poor.

Might as well just eat white flour. Don't forget that an important part of eating is to avoid malnourishment.

Vyk
04-22-2015, 04:24 AM
Shredded chicken sammiches~

I also love to hack ramen, and am known to make it into a sandwich, and people hate watching me eat it since it's just a big ball of carbs. But it's sooo good to eat cheesey spicy ramen on garlic toast. And people eat garlic bread with spaghetti without scoffing so *shrug*

Calliope
04-22-2015, 06:05 AM
breakfast: porridge
lunch: peanut butter sandwich, carrots OR an apple OR a banana
dinner: rice, beans/lentils, frozen vegetables

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Rice and ketchup with maybe some BBQ sauce if I had some. Oh and whatever protein lying around.

Or just eat at work/take some staff meal. PERKS OF KITCHEN JOBS. :D

Cloudane
04-22-2015, 03:26 PM

Might as well just eat white flour. Don't forget that an important part of eating is to avoid malnourishment.

OP asks about budget food, not good food. In some situations "anything is better than nothing"
that said, you probably wouldn't eat exclusively that for every meal!

Chibi Youkai
04-24-2015, 02:26 AM
Butter beans or black-eyed peas. throw in a little cornmeal and if there was any around, some veggies and life was golden.

Ayen
04-27-2015, 01:23 AM
We've always been on a tight budget, either through lack of money or my dad's unwillingness to pay much for anything. Food we always eat include sandwiches, fish sticks, pasta, peas, corn, green beans, and my dad has his salads and bread sticks.

My dad must love all the money he's saving on pop now that I only drink water.

fire_of_avalon
04-29-2015, 02:58 AM
Pintos, corn bread, milk and fried potatoes. You use dry beans it's like 50 cents a plate I bet.

maybee
04-30-2015, 03:46 AM

noxious.sunshine
04-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Pintos, corn bread, milk and fried potatoes. You use dry beans it's like 50 cents a plate I bet.

Most Southern thing ever. And now I fucking want some.

Fried rice is really easy and cheap to make- I buy a bag of store brand frozen mixed veggies (peas/carrot/corn/etc), make some rice and then stir fry it up with ginger and garlic and onion, add in some soy sauce, a bit of hoisin, and red pepper flakes and maybe some fresh squeezed OJ.... Sooo yummy. Chicken is optional!

escobert
05-02-2015, 06:48 PM
we eat lots of white rice with scrambled eggs, meat and veggies when we're low on funds. We try to stay far far away from frozen and really processed foods. Although I sneak in a frozen burrito now and again :p

Lawr
05-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Scrambled eggs + rice are like the budget baller's way of life.

escobert
05-04-2015, 04:18 PM

haha My girlfriend being from Saipan is budget rice food baller.

Lawr
05-04-2015, 09:19 PM

haha My girlfriend being from Saipan is budget rice food baller.

Like I'm pretty sure rice is the spirit animal for the entire western hemisphere.

Shiny
05-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Instant noodles in bulk is terrible for your stomach lining.

Cans of tuna. Sandwiches, tuna salad, tuna casserole etc. so many things you can make with tuna. Making things with bread: PB&J, grilled cheese sandwiches...