PDA

View Full Version : Spices

noxious.sunshine
04-18-2015, 07:35 PM
inb4 Tara makes this thread. :D

What are your favorite spices to use?

I'm kind of really into McCormick's blended seasonings- like the salt-free Cajun rub, Montreal Steak & Chicken seasonings, etc.

But typically, my go-tos are obvs salt & pepper, but I also love onion & garlic powder and use those a lot.

Cumin is another major one along with cayenne. I've been making Nashville Hot Chicken pretty often lately for my bf so lots of cayenne has been necessary lately.

I also keep Italian seasoning, coriander, chili powder, and some others in stock. I've also found chipotle chile powder and "spicy hot mexican chili powder" that I bought recently. :D

Colonel Angus
04-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Salt & Pepper are the bee's knees.

Anise is a great spice.

Calliope
04-19-2015, 06:07 AM
1) Bird's eye chillies
2) Cumin
3) Coriander
4) Tumeric
5) Garam Masala

I'm getting up to go through my spice drawer now!

Night Fury
04-19-2015, 06:27 AM
Turmeric is awesome for making rice to go yellow! I always add some turmeric and cumin seeds to rice if I'm making curry.

Calliope
04-19-2015, 06:47 AM
Tumeric: The poor man's saffron

I also put it in hot toddies because it's good for inflammation, apparently.

PS - Hey, there's another R in there! Cool.

Colonel Angus
04-19-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm also a big fan of cinnamon & cloves. Cloves really bring some zazz to a baked ham.

noxious.sunshine
04-19-2015, 10:43 PM
I have turmeric in my pantry! I haven't used it yet :/

I bought it 'cuz according to something, when it's mixed with I think ginger and water, it's good for lowering uric acid - which I was aiming to do last month when my bf thought he had gout.

Pheesh
04-20-2015, 03:34 AM
Oregano, rosemary and chilli. Those are my favourites, but all seasoning has its place.

Loony BoB
04-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Nutmeg because of what it does to mashed potato.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-22-2015, 01:44 PM
I love Allspice, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.

I tend to use a lot of oregano because my bf is Greek.

And salt and pepper are a classic though.

Stuff that doesn't have salt in it, unless already salty, is bland. I have strong feelings about customers ordering salmon tartare without salt. It makes me cry.