PDA

View Full Version : [XIII] Was this your first FF?

Fynn
04-19-2015, 11:58 AM
I heard that a lot of younger people got introduced into the series with this entry. I wanted to put things into perspective and see just how many such people decided to join us here :)

Mirage
04-19-2015, 12:02 PM
thankfully not. it would have put me off the series forever

Shiva95
04-19-2015, 01:36 PM
No, but I really liked it even if I played seven or eight FF games before this one.

fat_moogle
04-19-2015, 05:01 PM
I've been playing Final Fantasy since VII so not really. Not really? Just no.

Ayen
04-20-2015, 03:47 AM
thankfully not. it would have put me off the series forever

LunarWeaver
04-22-2015, 08:27 PM
If I had been of a certain age and this was my first, I would have been happy with it. The same way I'm happy VII was my first even though it's highly flawed. I played it when I was 11 and immune to adult bitterness. The themes of being an outcast would have resonated more, the characters wouldn't have seemed like such tropes, and the battle system is fun. It's pretty to look at and to hear. It has good things about it. It's also a complete game and that is virtually unheard of by the time we reached the PS3/360 era. There were no mountains of DLC or day zero patch to fix copious amounts of bugs and glitches. It was just a done game. It would have been a nice first, at a certain age.

So no, in short.

Sephiroth
04-23-2015, 09:29 AM
No and I doubt I would have disliked it because I would not have had something to compare it with and therefore also not started unnecessary fanboy rants like those roaming the internet.

CimminyCricket
04-23-2015, 03:29 PM
No, but it may have been my last.

Richard
05-02-2015, 09:06 PM
No. Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy 7 were the two games that introduced me to the franchise when I was a teen back in high school.

BlackFire
05-03-2015, 08:00 AM
No, FF-XIII was not my first exposure to a FF game. FF-XIII was the second FF game I played and beat on Xbox 360. The first FF game I played and beat was Lightning Returns.
I don't own a PS3/PS4 or PC. The 13 series is my introduction to FF games.
I have only been playing them for like eight months.

Fynn
05-04-2015, 06:07 AM
No, FF-XIII was not my first exposure to a FF game. FF-XIII was the second FF game I played and beat on Xbox 360. The first FF game I played and beat was Lightning Returns.

Still, you count! You're here! You're our unicorn :D

So, do you plan to check out the rest of the series? I'm seriously curious how someone who began with XIII (or any part of its trilogy) would feel about the other games.

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 06:18 AM

So, do you plan to check out the rest of the series? I'm seriously curious how someone who began with XIII (or any part of its trilogy) would feel about the other games.

At some point if I do decide to get a PS3/PS4 I might take a look into the other FF games in the franchise. Right now I have no plans to get a PS3/PS4. I might eventually get Xbox One and I hear there's a FF game coming for that system.

Ayen
05-07-2015, 06:09 AM

At some point if I do decide to get a PS3/PS4 I might take a look into the other FF games in the franchise. Right now I have no plans to get a PS3/PS4. I might eventually get Xbox One and I hear there's a FF game coming for that system.

A couple of the Final Fantasy games are available on Steam. Mainly III, IV, VII, and VIII. Can't recommend the last three enough, but I don't know how much they changed in the 3D version of IV compared to the one I played.

Fynn
05-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Don't listen to the lady man. They're all good games.

BlackFire
05-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Don't listen to the lady man. They're all good games.

LOL. I will take your word for it.
:)

RebirthFlame
08-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Nope. My first is FF VIII- yes, the one that you guys hate so much.

FFNut
09-06-2015, 01:56 AM
Nope the original FF was my first. To be honest if 15 is anything like XIII it will be my last of the series. It is one of the worst games I've ever played. I honestly took out the disk, snapped it and will never pick it up ever again. It's not a true FF title.

Mirage
09-06-2015, 02:30 AM
You shouldn't get so emotional. You could have traded it in for an actually good game, like Tales of Xillia.

Fynn
09-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Well, that's actually the point of this thread. It is quite interesting that fans of the older series are, to put it lightly, disappointed with XIII (myself included). I was just wondering how those who started with XIII got hooked on the series and how the rest looks to them.

And don't worry, Nutty - XV looks like the complete opposite so far ;) Also, just the fact that Toriyama hasn't touched it is good enough news :D

fat_moogle
09-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Nope the original FF was my first. To be honest if 15 is anything like XIII it will be my last of the series. It is one of the worst games I've ever played. I honestly took out the disk, snapped it and will never pick it up ever again. It's not a true FF title.
You can say "it's not a true FF title", but...it is. No matter how much you or others may hate it, it doesn't stop it from becoming a main numbered entry.

Also so did you really snap the disc or are you just saying that for dramatic effect?

FFNut
09-06-2015, 11:26 AM
You can say "it's not a true FF title", but...it is. No matter how much you or others may hate it, it doesn't stop it from becoming a main numbered entry.

Also so did you really snap the disc or are you just saying that for dramatic effect?

i said it for dramatic effect. What I really did with the game is give it to a organization in town that gives used games and toys to underprivileged children in the area. I also each year pick a child from their list at Christmas and buy that child Christmas gifts. I'm a softy I know.

escobert
09-06-2015, 03:19 PM
I've never played XIII :p

FFNut
09-06-2015, 04:37 PM
I've never played XIII :p

Really it was the easiest game with a FF title. I may revisit it but it's highly doubtful. It was the only game in the series that would play itself for you.

Galuf
09-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Its the first main series game i played. But i played ff cc ring of fates and ff legend ( the saga one) before.
All you ff13 haters are just blinded by light

Lazerface
09-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Thank god I never finished it.

Mr. Carnelian
09-09-2015, 11:01 AM
It was the fourth FF game I played. After X, X-2 and XII.

I don't really understand all the vitriol towards it. It really doesn't 'play itself' any more than XII does, it was less linear than X, the story took off a lot more quickly than X or XII, and the characters were more interesting than in X or X-2.

I gather that some people think that the sci-fi setting isn't Final Fantasy enough. But, I love sci-fi, so that wasn't an issue for me. Plus, isn't the beloved VII quite sci-fi?

Fynn
09-09-2015, 04:14 PM
It's not the sci fi. A lot of people simply disagree with your assessment. But that's a topic for another thread. Soon, perhaps.

CactuarKing
01-02-2016, 11:24 AM
I enjoyed FFXIII (XIII-2 was better) but for me, VII, VIII (Second fave), and XI were good and ranked higher.

My absolute all time favourite however is X.

Yes I know it is linear, but it didn't feel it.

The story was absorbing, the voice acting was good and I empathised a lot with the characters and could control them all.

Oh, and Blitzball.

Also, XIII held you back too much and stopped you levelling up (my favourite thing in the earlier games was just levelling up and collecting gil so that I was overlevelled for the story) or learning skills to make your job easier. The Crystarium felt like a poor imitation of X's sphere grid (IMHO anyway).

Lamia
05-26-2017, 08:07 PM
No. I started with FFI on NES. Been an FF fan all of my life - and I love FFXIII. Although I will admit that it has its problems. As far as the idea of older fans being more disappointed goes... I already got my nerd rage out when Final Fantasy X pissed me off for being linear and not having a world map (I still hate Tidus to this day. However, I feel like X is a great game in retrospect) and Final Fantasy XI being an online game. FF has been changing for a long time. I have accepted it and moved on and I find that the modern games have things I like about them.

Shaymin
08-22-2017, 01:23 PM
A visiting little kid at my house insisted I stick FF13 in. The opening cinematic played. He responded "Oh my God! Final Fantasy is so badass!"

I died a little inside.

Krizzy
01-12-2018, 03:01 PM
I'm fortunate to have played video games during the golden age of Squaresoft. If this had been my first FF, I wouldn't have tried the others in the series.:roll2