PDA

View Full Version : Fable Trilogy

Forsaken Lover
04-20-2015, 01:32 AM
So I'm getting a 360 and I've been on a WRPG binge of late. I'm just wrapping up Fallout 3 and New Vegas and I figured I might try Fable.

What do people here think of the games? Which is the best one and why?

I've been told they are very different from what I'm used to though. No companions like in a BiOWare RPG and no exploration like in Fallout.

CimminyCricket
04-20-2015, 01:51 AM
For me, I liked the story of the first one was by far the best. The gameply of the second was a little bit more superior than the first, but the story made me not bother playing the third. Being able to play online with your friend was best part of the second.

Randy
04-21-2015, 05:49 PM
There is exploration and openness, it's just not quite the "open-world" of fallout and the elder scrolls.

I quite liked the first one. Nothing world changing but a fairly charming and accessible game. If you don't like it within 30 mins, you won't like it at all though.

Forsaken Lover
04-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Really? That's it? I appreciate the two posts Cimminity and Randy but I did expect a bit more input.

These games were pretty popular I thought....

CimminyCricket
04-26-2015, 07:29 AM
They were, but lions head kind of ruined everything

Psychotic
04-26-2015, 10:29 AM
I enjoyed them well enough and it's fun having a load of families and being a slum lord, but they're not really at the level of Bethesda or Bioware's WRPG titles.

I Took the Red Pill
04-26-2015, 06:22 PM
I only played the second one, but I had a really great time with it. It's a very easy game, and it's pretty easy to plow through it mindlessly, but the combat was fun for what it was. There was also something about the moral system that I thought worked better than most other games that tried it. When I did some particularly evil shit, I actually felt bad for doing it. The fact that the graphics are kind of cartoonish means it's aged well compared to a lot of its contemporaries.

Just know that it's not nearly as grand in scope as Peter Molyneux wants to convince you it is. The sim elements of the game, while varied, feel pretty hollow and pointless. Despite this fact, it's still a good game that I'd recommend.

Psychotic
04-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Just to touch on something said above - the moral system is definitely something great. Because the evil choices are definitely the easier ones to make for example someone has to become old. Do you sacrifice that random woman you just met because fuck it, or do you take the hit yourself? Also I remember being tortured and losing EXP with every round - how long will you hold out despite your character being actively damaged?

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 10:39 PM
I have played both the 2nd and 3rd games and I liked both.
The third one was a little better. You could play online with friends too.
The story is good and the gameplay was good too.
You should get the trilogy and see which one you like best.

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Well I have my Xbox 360 now and Fable 2 and 3 should be here sometime this week. (Blue Dragon got here already)

I just need my girlfriend to feel better so she can come over, let me borrow her copy of Fable 1 and also take me to Gamestop to get a controller.

Ayen
05-07-2015, 05:41 AM
There is exploration and openness, it's just not quite the "open-world" of fallout and the elder scrolls.

Sounds like it'd be something I'd enjoy then since I didn't care for the openness in those two games at all. Mainly due to my lack of direction and not having any idea where to go or what to do. The Elder Scrolls was a little better in that area than Fallout 3 at least. Hell, even Fallout 1 was better than Fallout 3 in that regard.

I heard some of the choices you make can have some pretty big impact on what happens in the world later, like affecting whether or not a building or group is made or whatnot, but it's been so long and I can't remember specifics. I just remember liking them a lot.

Pumpkin
05-09-2015, 03:52 AM
I played Fable 2 and 3 and I enjoyed them both, but I liked 3 much better. They're pretty fun, I might pick them up again one day

Mr. Carnelian
05-18-2015, 02:02 AM
They have flaws, but I really enjoy Fables I, II and III.

The Fable series is definitely worth a shot. It's a bit of a Marmite franchise though: either you like it or you don't.

If you go in expecting something like Skyrim or Dragon Age, you're going to be disappointed.

But, if you're not carried away by the hype (Molyneux's biggest flaw is that he's always overhyped these games, creating expectations that they couldn't possibly deliver on) you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Formalhaut
05-18-2015, 03:15 AM
I played Fable: Anniversary (also known as Fable 1) and that was great. I then started playing Fable 2, but then Sam introduced me to Dragon Age and I've been playing that ever since.

Once I've done my third play-through of Dragon Age: Inquisition I'll probably get back to Fable 2, because Fable 3 looks really good from what I've seen.

Forsaken Lover
05-18-2015, 12:16 PM
I'm on Fable III now, having beaten Anniversary and 2.

So far I'm really liking the story and writing the best of all three games. Sadly, 2 looks like it was the only one with picture perfect gameplay. They changed a lot of things around in 3 that they did not need to. Fable Anniversary....ehhhh, you can really tell it was the first. The UI is not very good.

But yeah, I have enjoyed all of them to a greater or lesser extent. I still have a good ways to go in 3 however.

Who WOULDN'T choose Love at the end of 2? i had to revive my wife and, more importantly, my dog!

Forsaken Lover
05-19-2015, 12:26 PM
So I have now completed all three games, save for 3's DLC.

3 had the best story and writing.

2 had by far the best gameplay.

Anniversary had....uh...some good things in it.

I liked 3's story the most because of the choices. There were so many! The last quarter of the game was everything I could ever hope for in a WRPG.

That's why I figured I'd repost my thoughts on that last quarter:

Those two ghost assholes tried to kill me! I'll kill them!

Well, at least their mum dragged them away. God I hope I never see them again. Let Jack return and destroy the world before I ever have to be plagued by those morons again.

I helped one lady free our poor chicken friends being made into pies. And I helped another lady get a pair of Reaver's underwear. I'm a Hero you see. Helping out the common man or woman. That's why I took care of the one fellow's debt by removing the guy he owed money to. Also took care of a dangerous criminal who was incarcerated.

I have so much goddam money though. I have 300,000 something. The Pawn shops are the real money makers in this game it seems.

My Princess only uses guns, BTW. Her father was a bit of an anachronism as you all know but she is thoroughly modern. This Will stuff and swords are for the history books. This is the day of machines and technology. Using anything besides a gun or preferably a rifle is just absurd.

Okay that whole segment with the caves and the Crawler? Perfectly done in my opinion. See, this is what I was talking about earlier with having a real sort of companion for our hero. Walter has been there with us since the beginning, encouraging us and guiding us and being awesome. Having this happen to him was really powerful stuff. The music, the lighting, it was all expertly directed and put together in order to deliver a sense of despair and sadness. And of course I did not choose to leave him behind when given the choice. I would never do that to anyone I love. The man feels like a second father to me.

And I think I'll stop there for tonight. I am really feeling this game's story and writing, even if I dislike the new gameplay mechanics. Although I'm iN Aurora and I have 700,000 Gold. I guess something good came out of that whole nightmarish cave segment.

Oh and Theresa? Thanks for not warning me.

So I can see what happened to my brother. An encounter with that Crawler thing would undoubtedly disturb anyone. Perhaps I'm being too generous but while he did not fulfill his promise to come back and aid Aurora, perhaps his militant desire for power is simply a reaction to the Crawler. He wants Albion to be as strong as it can be if those things ever come for his land.

But he was shortsighted. While it was wise to prepare, you can't just sit and wait for it to come to us. A thing like that can only fester until it grows out of control. We have to smash it now and by doing this we also gain an ally. Fulfilling this promise is just the smartest thing I can do. It's the only one I can absolutely see me sticking to.

Interesting...there will be an actual trial for Logan. I am relieved. I knew from the beginning I would not kill him, if it could be avoided. As I already said I am guessing his reasons were his encounter with the Crawler and those are sensible reasons. But even if he hadn't had any justifiable reasons at all, I wouldn't put him to death. he's my brother.

And it looks like Reaver has returned, according to my agenda. Looking forward to speaking to him again on more...civil terms.

But before I get down to business, it's time to swell my pockets. I figured I'd need a lot more money than I had so it's time to Blacksmith like a madwoman and then buy up every store I can find. If I really am going to need millions, I need my normal profits to be at least 100,000 a pop.

Okay with all my properties I'm raking in 100K as I hoped. I spent a lot of time just blacksmithing to get a few thousand extra gold and to pass the time until I had 2,000.000 Gold. Here's hoping that will be enough to at least pay most of my debts. It honestly didn't take THAT long... I've certainly spent more time grinding for lesser stuff in other games. Also everyone is booing and hissing at me. Fucking assholes. Don't they realize a revolution just happened? Prices have to be super high to make up for the immense cost. Once I have paid everything I intend to pay, I'll be more than happy to lower prices on all my houses and businesses. They better like me then, the ungrateful simpletons.

So I was spot on about Logan. I spared him. I get his loyal guard of course but as I said earlier, that's not the real reason I did it.

Ah Reaver my old friend. I'm sure my father spoke most highly of you and how you helped save Albion from Lucien. Albion needs all the able hands it can have for the troubled year ahead. This is not the time to be shutting down factories.

However I cannot afford to leave a chunk of my city in ruins. I restored the Old Quarter. No one and nothing is without value and having all of my city up and busy is the surest way to strengthen my kingdom.

I did not spend money on guards though. I also raised taxes. The fucking apocalypse is coming - what do I care about a few muggers or people having to work harder?

I did NOT break my promise to Kalin. Here is what I agreed to: "I hereby promise to rebuild Aurora and protect its people."

And guess what I did? I rebuild the city and sent my troops there. That lady needs to shut her mouth and show some gratitude. She has no respect for my most trusted advisor Reaver. I thought he would advocate just abandoning the city but he impressed and surprised me with his counter-proposal. This way the city is restored, its people are safe, and the kingdom prospers.

Gonna stop there for now. Albion WILL be safe, I promise this and I keep my promises.

I gave the money from selling the diamond to the treasury. As I said, I'm doing all of this for my kingdom.

And a fine for having children??? I know China had or has a law about restricting so many children to couple but I don't think Albion is having overpopulation issues. Thinking just as my Queen, I believe this is excessive. I know every gold piece counts but I've already raised taxes. I don't want to start another rebellion before the year is even up. In the spirit of all things and all people being equal, I reinstated child benefits. They are good enough to work in my factories so here are their rewards. Hopefully this will satisfy the people. Hobson you are a wily devil but your policies make me think of a leader hording as much money as he can and just waiting for the inevitable riot so he can sneak out with hos mountain of loot. That is not the kind of ruler I am.

And after my latest donation of 1,000.000 Gold my treasury is at 3,750.000. I think my kingdom is doing good. I myself still have another 2,000.000 should I need to restock things due to future business.

Page: This is exploitation your majesty! Your people won't be pleased!

I'm sorry Page, I couldn't hear you over the crowd of people cheering. It seems the people of the town want a brothel. And who can blame them? It is the world's oldest profession for a reason. I mean, I want to keep the orphanage but I also want the whore house to make tons of money for the treasury. Why can't I have both?

Ehhhh. Admittedly this is the first decision I've felt kind of dirty. I have nothing against prostitution whatsoever but demolishing an orphanage? Ehhhh. I might reload and redo that.

Okay fuck it I'll keep the damned orphanage. This is why I criticized Logan earlier for putting Reaver in charge and why I also just critiqued Hobson. They're smart men, geniuses in Reaver's case, but I don't think either of them understands the concept of moderation. Reaver, I would absolutely approve your brothel if it was just the brothel i was approving. But we have to appease the common folk. Keeping the shelter up and running will keep the lady who I already know is prone to rebellion and revolt against what she perceives as unjust rule at bay. Every country needs someone like Reaver but they also need someone like me to rein that person in.

Oh get the fuck out of here you buffoons. I have already voiced my scorn for the people of Mourningwood and now they want me to build a plant so their evil little shithole doesn't get polluted? Hey, newsflash, your wood is already polluted BY GODDAM ZOMBIES. Yes Reaver, dump all our sewage there and let the place rot.

I outlawed alcohol. My Princess might have indulged once or twice but her father hated the stuff and now she's in charge she can see why. It leads to public spectacle and stupidity, as well as violence. On the flipside, it contributes nothing. In short, alcohol is only a negative and in no way a positive and in the new Albion "I" am forging, there will be only things that contribute to society.

Except for that orphanage. I guess maybe it contributes to society in its own way? Meh, it was cheap anyway. Although that brothel would have brought in tons of gold...what was I thinking.

Also I left that one criminal idiot in the jail to starve to death. A bribe of 100.000? Are you kidding? I earn more than that in a few minutes.

I re-opened Brightwall Academy to the world and not just the elite. Why not. My father built it and I will honor his judgment and memory.

Reaver again had the right of it with Bower Lake though. On its own, it's useless. As a quarry it serves as a source of valuable resources and labor. My Albion will be at the forefront of industrialization and progress.

Man I am loving the shit out of this. Not only do I get more Reaver, this is the kind of thing I have wanted from an RPG for a long time. You had a TINY tidbit of this in Drago N Age Origins Awakening but then it was forgotten. This is really a lot of fun.

I let the balverines wipe out that one village because...well, why not. They chose to live in a wood full of goddam balverines. Makes my job easier. Naturally i donated all the money the lady gave me to the treasury for the security of my kingdom. But then I had to go and spend all that money I got from the noble lady on bailing out our economy. Good job, Logan. Anyway, I noticed for the first time the fact it lists how much money you need in the treasury on the loading screen and how many people are expected to die if you fail under that number. That's pretty interesting. I'm only a couple million short and I myself have 3 million in gold. So I can fix that right away if I need to. I'll wait and see what happens with my future decisions.

Oh...whoops. I guess I won't fill up the treasury with the 6,5000,000 since the endgame came faster than I expected. I was at 5,100.000 or something. As I told you, and as Reaver so eloquently put it, trees are a great resource and we can't waste them. Mistpeak's forest went into ships and weapons and everything else for the good of Albion. I might have been tempted to fulfill my promise to the Dwellers but circumstances change. Industrialization is now more important than ever before and it's certainly more important than the Dwellers ever have been or will be.

But forget that, the game is over. Kinda disappointed. I think taking over Albion was a lot more powerful and atmospheric. Hell, teh first introduction of the Crawler in the caves was more powerful than this. It was all just over way, way too quick. Kinda expected the Walter thing coming... I loved that guy though. One of the best characters in Fable.

Anyway,. about a million civilians are dead because I didn't think to pour all my gold into the treasury quite yet. But Albion itself will endure. As Theresa so rightly put, I made the necessary sacrifices. Page and the others were just incapable of understanding the bigger picture.

And that is Fable III. Well, except for the DLC, which I won't be doing now.

Best story in the trilogy and marred only by a kinda disappointing ending (I see a trend here) and inferior gameplay to 2's. Maybe Traitor's Keep will make up for the ending.

kcQgK32gAgk