PDA

View Full Version : 2015 marks the return of console JRPGs

Bolivar
04-20-2015, 01:36 AM
Last generation, many of us lamented how the quality titles in our beloved JRPG genre had mostly migrated onto handhelds. There have even been some early signs recently that these games would further retreat onto mobile. I can think of at least a few members here on EoFF who might insist the genre never went anywhere, that there were plenty of quality JRPGs last generation. However, 2015 marks the first time in years where so many iconic franchises will all release a new entry or spinoff on current generation home consoles.

Here are the 2015 titles bringing the JRPG genre back to the forefront of gaming:

http://planete-play.fr/images/2014/12/Bloodborne-480x270.jpg
Bloodborne
From Software
PlayStation 4
Released: March 24

The Miyazaki-directed spiritual successor to the Souls franchise has already led the charge, to resounding success. It is the highest rated PS4 game and sold a million units within just 10 days, outpacing the previous, multiplatform entries in the Dark Souls series. Although some of the mechanics push it more towards the action genre, it also incorporated new RPG elements, such as the procedurally-generated Chalice Dungeons.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--10gWkB1nuc/VRb08XvwV-I/AAAAAAAACUc/XvOWj7p_yDA/s1600/Final%2BFantasy%2BType0%2BHD.jpg
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Square Enix
PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Released: March 17

After years of begging, Square finally released this game for the West, remastered for the current generation hardware. Many have hailed it as the most significant Final Fantasy project in years and it even included the demo for Final Fantasy XV. Many expect Type-0 to kick off a new sub-series within Final Fantasy.

http://www.otakustudy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/241x300x11090967_916746081704926_2040451705553316108_o-241x300.jpg.pagespeed.ic.aMCYLSk0MR.jpg
Disgaea 5
Nippon Ichi Software
PlayStation 4
Released: March 26 (JP), Q3 (NA & PAL)

While not as high profile as some of these other series, Disgaea has nonetheless earned its place in the pantheon of SRPGs. Originally, the game was intended for release on PlayStation 3 as well but NIS opted for current-gen exclusivity, as its 100-character battles required more robust hardware. It earned a 33/40 from Famitsu and is scheduled to hit Western shores in the coming months.

http://static.feber.se/article_images/37/47/17/374717_450.jpg
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Monolith Soft
Wii U
Release Date: April 29 (JP), later 2015 (NA & PAL)

As the sequel to the most revered game from 2011's Operation Rainfall campaign, Xenoblade Chronicles X is easily one of the most anticipated games on this list. Monolith's acclaimed cabal of Square alumni seek to create an even more ambitious open world for players to explore. Given the cult classic status of the first game and the pedigree of its developers, this game has a serious chance to make critical waves when it releases later this year in the West.

Ys 8
Nihon Falcom
PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita
Release Date: TBA 2015 (JP)

Very little has been revealed about this title since its announcement at TGS 2014. It will be a cross-platform game, spanning both PlayStation 4 and Vita, where it follows up on Ys: Memories of Celceta. The announcement trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtxJNBQgRIw) showcases some of the visuals and suggests that this will be Ys 8 and not a spinoff or remake. Scheduled for 2015, it is unknown whether a western localization will make it before the year's out.

http://www.gamalive.com/images/une/24210-shin-megami-tensei-x-fire-emblem-nintendo-wii-u-trailer-video-gameplay-02042015101636.jpg
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem
Atlus, Intelligent Systems
Wii U
Release Date: Q3/Q4 2015 (JP, possibly NA), 2016 (PAL)

This dream crossover is a joint effort between both series' development teams within Atlus and Nintendo. Fears of a possible cancellation were put to rest when the game was confirmed for a 2015 release at a Nintendo Direct earlier this month. Atlus has confirmed that the game will indeed be an RPG.

http://m1.paperblog.com/i/306/3060315/dragon-quest-heroes-detalla-diferencias-ps3-p-L-lFFikM.jpeg
Dragon Quest Heroes
Omega Force
PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4
Released: February 26 (JP), Q4 (NA & PAL)

Heroes heralds the return of Dragon Quest to the West after many years of missed opportunities. Developed by Dynasty Warriors' Omega Force, it falls more along the lines of an action RPG, with the goal of staying true to the feel of Dragon Quest. The game is already a commercial and critical success, catalyzing interest for the PS4 after a year of relative apathy in Japan. Square confirmed a sequel earlier this month, for PS3, Vita, and PS4.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/news/Persona5_logo.jpg
Persona 5
Atlus
PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4
Release Date: TBA 2015

Persona 5, perhaps more than any other game on this last, has a real opportunity to reestablish the JRPG genre outside of Japan. The last two entries were both highly acclaimed in the West but could never catch on due to their release on the PlayStation 2, long after the platform had lost relevance in the gaming media. The series makes it PlayStation 4 debut while the platform currently tracks as one of the fastest-selling consoles of all time, having already proved with Bloodborne that it can turn niche Japanese games into blockbusters. Persona's turn-based mechanics and anime sensibilities may prove a hindrance its mainstream potential but it nevertheless stands as one of the most important releases for the genre in years.

What do you think about the latest batch of JRPGs making their way to the big screen? Does this signal a return to prominence for the genre, or was it just as good as ever on handhelds? Share which you are looking forward to and any you might be picking up.

CimminyCricket
04-20-2015, 07:09 AM
Wooo Disgaea 5. Based on character designs I'm more excited for this release than I have the last two.

I definitely only really play most rpg games on portable, especially Disgaea. They're great games for short bursts.

Vermachtnis
04-20-2015, 07:25 AM
Ys 8!? I want Ys 8! Also Persona 5 looks awesome. And I can't wait to punch some giant monsters in Xenoblade X. Also Hyperdimension Neptunia VII looks awesome. Which you forgot, same on you.

Laddy
04-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Bloodborne is a JRPG purely in the sense that it's Japanese rather than in aesthetic, design, or mechanics so I'm a little "ehhh" about that being a JRPG but hell yeah I want some Persona and Xenoblade and Ys please.

Skyblade
04-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Bloodborne is a JRPG purely in the sense that it's Japanese rather than in aesthetic, design, or mechanics so I'm a little "ehhh" about that being a JRPG but hell yeah I want some Persona and Xenoblade and Ys please.

Yeah, I have to agree. Bloodborne is not a JRPG.

But we're getting so many other awesome titles, that I'm ok with that.

Pumpkin
04-20-2015, 02:42 PM
:excited:

Skyblade
04-20-2015, 02:56 PM
While I'm at it, let me say that Dragon Quest Heroes is also not a JRPG. It's an action game. It's based on a JRPG franchise, yes. But it isn't a JRPG.

Laddy
04-20-2015, 03:08 PM
I've always been on the mindset that a JRPG could be made in the West and a WRPG could be Japanese, as the J and W refers to the style rather than the country of origin.

Bloodborne was awesome btw.

Bolivar
04-20-2015, 08:43 PM
When a game has loot, dungeons, quests, character creation, level progression, and is touted by its creators as an action RPG (expressly or implicitly), I usually give them the benefit of the doubt and categorize it as such. I'm not going to scrutinize whether such factors are exclusive to RPGs or if there's other defining elements missing. The genre and its permutations are way too diverse to have any satisfying and consistent bright line rules. And, personally, it's just not a conversation I find very interesting.

It's cool if you guys do, though. Glad people are reacting to the thread.

Spuuky
04-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Cosmic Star Heroine also.

I love "console RPGs" but I love it even more when console-style RPGs come to the PC. I heard another Ys game is coming on Steam and I'm delighted.

NeoCracker
04-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Cosmic Star Heroine also.

I love "console RPGs" but I love it even more when console-style RPGs come to the PC. I heard another Ys game is coming on Steam and I'm delighted.

That was coming this year? I hadnt kept up on it, but I love those guys. I was anticipating this one.

This year also had Awakened Fate Ultimatum, which will likely never be considered a classic (And for good reason) is rather fun and a good upgrade from Guided Fate Paradox, so chalk that on the pile of good JRPG releases this year.

Also Citizens of Earth, Atelier Shallie, and Alphadia Genesis.

Vermachtnis
04-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Yea, Ark of Napishtim is coming to Steam the 28th of April. I can't wait, since it's the only one I'm missing.

Spooniest
04-20-2015, 11:34 PM
Yea, Ark of Napishtim is coming to Steam the 28th of April. I can't wait, since it's the only one I'm missing.

Ys on Steam!!

Irmagird!!

Pumpkin
04-20-2015, 11:57 PM
I'm the only one going to be excited about this but

http://ideafintl.com/omega-quintet/

It's like some absurdly girly j-pop sailor moon junk going on there and I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED AND IT'S COMING OUT THIS MONTH AND NOW I'M SAD I HAVE NO PS4

AND STAR OCEAN SOON

AND NEW TALES GAME

AND NEW XENOBLADE

AND NEW FINAL FANTASY

AND NEW YS

THIS IS A GOOD TIME IN MY LIFE

Colonel Angus
04-21-2015, 12:47 AM
I'm sure Dat_Matt's also excited for that game, too, Pumpkin.

Fynn
04-21-2015, 05:07 AM
Xenoblade and Persona!

Yes!!!

Take me! My body is ready!

... Or take my wallet, as you'll do once I buy a Wii U AND a PS4 :|

NeoCracker
04-21-2015, 05:46 AM
http://nichegamer.com/2015/04/debut-teaser-trailer-for-compile-hearts-fairy-fencer-f-advent-dark-force-on-ps4/

Nobuo and Amano working with Idea! Factory on the sequel to Fairy Fencer F! Quite frankly it was a fantastic title. Not sure if this one will be out this year (I'm expecting a 2016 release), but damn we have some good stuff in the works.

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 05:51 AM
http://nichegamer.com/2015/04/debut-teaser-trailer-for-compile-hearts-fairy-fencer-f-advent-dark-force-on-ps4/

Nobuo and Amano working with Idea! Factory on the sequel to Fairy Fencer F! Quite frankly it was a fantastic title. Not sure if this one will be out this year (I'm expecting a 2016 release), but damn we have some good stuff in the works.

I JUST SAW THIS LIKE 20 MINUTES AGO AND NOW I AM EVEN MORE PUMPED

SO MUCH CAPS IN THIS THREAD

Ayen
04-21-2015, 06:32 AM
This is Fynn and Pumpkin right now:

http://i.imgur.com/yBcctkm.jpg

Randy
04-21-2015, 05:55 PM
It is making a bit of a comeback. Which is certainly overdue.

Although I would include games like Cosmic Star Heroine, Fire Emblem and Festival of Magic before I included Bloodborne. The whole Souls series is completely culturally western. In the same way MGS is culturally western. I doubt the creators would dispute that. It's a good thing to have devs from around the world making products based on other cultures. Adds to the variety.

Elpizo
04-21-2015, 11:24 PM
While I won't deny that, compared to the PS2 generation, the previous gen had a bit of a drought of good JRPGs compared to the gen before it, but let's also not forget that last console generation saw the birth of one of the greatest games of all time in the form of Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. :)

Leigh
04-22-2015, 07:40 PM
let's also not forget that last console generation saw the birth of one of the greatest games of all time in the form of Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. :)

I like this. Normally the effects of sleeping tablets diminish over time as your body becomes tolerant to them, but not Ni No Kuni. It just keeps on giving.

Spuuky
04-22-2015, 08:39 PM
I would hardly say Ni no Kuni was one of the greatest games of all time, but I did not at all regret buying and playing it. If it didn't have the agonizingly long tutorial and hand-holding section it would have been really great.

Fynn
04-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles, on the other hand, is most certainly one of the best games of all time :smug:

Spuuky
04-22-2015, 09:00 PM
That could be. I haven't played it. Few things make me more sad than great games trapped on systems I will never own. It's like an even worse version of region-locking.

Del Murder
04-22-2015, 10:55 PM
I think the popularity of Xenoblade Chronicles is what brought back the JRPG genre for consoles. Or at least it was a significant contributor. I may buy WiiU just for it, or maybe hold out for Nintendo's next system assuming it is backwards compatible.

NeoCracker
04-22-2015, 11:00 PM

I JUST SAW THIS LIKE 20 MINUTES AGO AND NOW I AM EVEN MORE PUMPED

SO MUCH CAPS IN THIS THREAD

It seems it's not a sequal, just an upgraded version. :(

Fynn
04-23-2015, 06:09 AM
That could be. I haven't played it. Few things make me more sad than great games trapped on systems I will never own. It's like an even worse version of region-locking.

It's justification enough to get a New 3DS, though :monster:

Bolivar
04-23-2015, 03:34 PM
I think I saw Mirage streaming it on Dolphin emulator. So there's that.

Vyk
04-26-2015, 10:10 PM
Definitely was a drought last Gen. Xenoblade and Tales of Xillia were my biggest enjoyments. It was an eight year generation or more. So there was definitely a lot. But not many grabbed me. Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean, Last Story, Infinite Undicovery, Nier, just to name a few I tried and felt no desire to play more than ten hours or so.

This Gen is set to have a lot more high profile games. Last then had a lot that were to niche for me. And way too much focus on handheld games as far as JRPGs are concerned

Kalevala
04-26-2015, 10:39 PM
I am so excited for Persona 5. Have they gone into detail on whether there will be significant differences between the PS3 and PS4 releases? I was going to buy a PS4 just for this game, but if I can play it and not have to spend a few hundred dollars...

Bolivar
04-26-2015, 11:18 PM
I would imagine both versions of Persona 5 will be about the same. Going by the list, I think Sony has just been paying the publishers of the high profile upcoming Vita/PS3 games to port them to PS4, so they can spark some interest for the console in Japan. It's supposedly working, as the PS4 version of DQ Heroes moved a lot of copies and the system has been selling a lot better since. So you can probably wait until the PS4 is a little cheaper and it has more games that take advantage of the hardware, like Disgaea 5 does and FFXV presumably will. Although they probably will have a price cut by the time P5 releases later this year.

This Gen is set to have a lot more high profile games. Last then had a lot that were to niche for me. And way too much focus on handheld games as far as JRPGs are concerned

Same. I want to give some of the PS3 ones a try, since Pumpkin says a lot of them were good but they look too niche for me. Eventually I'll probably get around to Ni No Kuni and Tales of Symphonia, though.

black orb
04-28-2015, 10:58 AM
>>> At this point I just laugh on how much money I need to spend if I want to play these.
I dont care anymore. :luca:

Wolf Kanno
05-16-2015, 04:32 AM
It's defiantly a stronger lineup of actual games with release dates attached to them than last generation had. I mean after Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery were released it seemed like no one bothered talking JRPGs for awhile except an occasional NIS release and cult titles like Valkyria Chronicles. Hopefully many of them will be worth talking about long past their release unlike many of the game's I listed.