PDA

View Full Version : What new things have you tried lately?

Night Fury
04-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Over Easter I tried some date, hazelnut, and chocolate tart which Phil's Dad's wife made. It was really, really delicious. I'm having a sugar craving right now and it's on my mind. The dates were really nice - they had been soaked in brandy and omg, the cake was just heaven with a bit of whipped cream. I might have to ask her for the recipe and make a smaller sized one for myself next time I feel like being indulgent.

I've never really eaten dates in puddings - apart from I guess sticky date pudding which is okaaaayyyy, but I tend to like the butterscotch sauce a whole lot more. Mmmm butterscotch.

I tried some Thai sticky rice with mango the other week too and that was also yummy - but the mango on the top was far too sweet - it needed to be tangy to make a nicer balance with the sweet, coconut rice!

What new things have you eaten lately?

Mirage
04-20-2015, 11:16 AM
You've never had dates, hazelnuts or chocolate tarts until now? :confused:

Night Fury
04-20-2015, 11:20 AM
I've had chocolate tart, I've had hazelnut tart.... But I've never had all combined into one and with dates thrown in there!

Loony BoB
04-20-2015, 11:27 AM
I had Japanese dumplings with my dinner last night. I've had Thai and Chinese dumplings and these were very similar, but had a bit more taste to them, I think they must have added something in, they were lovely. Also served with soy sauce instead of sweet & sour or sweet chilli.

Other than that... uhm... I had some kind of Korean burger thing a few months ago. That was... interesting. I prefer regular burgers.

Calliope
04-20-2015, 05:30 PM
I tried a soy yoghurt this morning, it tasted like awful. Last week I had some kind of coconut-milk based Thai curry served on a roti, which although not great, was interesting.

noxious.sunshine
04-20-2015, 09:08 PM
I tried Japanese spring rolls the other day. They weren't bad.

That's all I can think of.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-21-2015, 03:10 AM
I tried a new Indian dish in Harrisburg, PA on our drive up to Boston.

I can't remember the name of the cooking technique, but it was different from the other dishes I've tried. Instead of being cooked in a tandoor, or a kabob, or some other curry dish, this was more roasted and the vegetables were in pretty big chunks.

It was pieces of the homemade paneer cheese with pieces of bell pepper, onion, and snap peas with almost a dry rub of curry, citrus, and some other special seasoning that I can't remember. I also can't remember the name for the technique that was used. "Something something paneer" naturally.

It was pretty tasty though.

Shorty
04-21-2015, 03:23 AM
Eggs benedict and eggs Neptune! Never had either before, and now I am addicted to hollandaise sauce.

This weekend I'm headed to Salt & Straw ice cream for the Honey Bear flavor because I neeeeeeeeeeeed edible glitter in my mouth.

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 04:35 AM
I've been trying a few new things from my recipe book

Cloudane
04-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Not too long ago I tried quinoa for the first time. Seems kinda nice in a salad or whatever, even if it does sound like the basis of a dodgy FF fanfic.

If drinks count, lime soda. It's become my new soft drink of choice in the pub if I'm cutting down or driving. Makes a change from diet coke (pretty much the only other "healthy" drink they do at ours), still very low calorie, and costs a fraction of the price.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Was it a korma?

No, apparently it was cooked tandoor style. I just didn't realize it because I'm used to the typical dishes like tikka masala. I thought tandoor style usually had a broth/sauce with it, but apparently that's what's used to roast the ingredients. I suppose the curry sauces are added after they're out of the oven. :shrug:

Looking at korma style (google pictures) it looks pretty similar to what I'm used to. My favorite dish is lamb saag, and this stuff looks similar in texture (very soft veggies with curry sauce and larger pieces of protein or cheese added).

I found it googling around, and it's tikka paneer.

http://vegrec.vegrecipesofindi.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/tandoori-paneer-tikka.jpg

Either it was served off the skewers and I didn't notice the skewer holes, or they didn't use skewers. It was pretty tasty.

Chibi Youkai
04-24-2015, 02:36 AM
Had alligator for the first time a few days ago. It really does taste somewhat like chicken, but with a odd aftertaste. Maybe because of the way it was prepared. No idea. Would eat it again.

Ayen
04-25-2015, 02:55 AM
Mac and cheese. Delicious!

sharkythesharkdogg
04-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Tried an oyster again for the first time in.......15 years? So basically new.

They're as gross as I remember. I would have been pissed if I was the first person ever to go to the effort of trying them.

"What's up with that weird rock? I'm gonna eat whatever is inside that thing..........."

*work, work* *pry, pry*........"

WTF is this?!?! Some kind of gross sea booger?? Well, certainly if it's so hard to get at, it must be pretty tasty."

*munch, munch*

Ah, well smurf me! This is crap.

And that's my story of me as the first human ever trying oysters. /bows

noxious.sunshine
04-29-2015, 07:50 PM
adobo flavored beef jerky.

Was pretty tasty!

Pheesh
04-30-2015, 12:28 AM

They're as gross as I remember. I would have been pissed if I was the first person ever to go to the effort of trying them.

"What's up with that weird rock? I'm gonna eat whatever is inside that thing..........."

WTF is this?!?! Some kind of gross sea booger?? Well, certainly if it's so hard to get at, it must be pretty tasty."

*munch, munch*

Oysters are friggin amazing. You uncultured swine!

Night Fury
04-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Just made cauliflower cous cous. Nothing new really as I've eaten cauli before but a different way of serving it. Was delish!

sharkythesharkdogg
04-30-2015, 07:20 PM

*munch, munch*

Oysters are friggin amazing. You uncultured swine!

You can keep the food that looks like a mildly steamed hunk of phlegm from a 3 pack a day smoker, and I'll have a big piece of uncultured swine. :jess:

Big D
05-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Eggs benedict and eggs Neptune! Never had either before, and now I am addicted to hollandaise sauce.Hollandaise is GLORIOUS. Sure, it's about 70% fat, but it's 170% delicious.

I haven't tried much new stuff lately. Recently introduced my wife to Cambodian fare, though, on a visit to the noodle house I haven't been to for years.

I did recently cook up a batch of aloo jeera - that's spuds with cumin to most of us. Possibly the most tasty form of potatoes, sort of like taking wedges or baked spuds to an epic new curry-tastic level. Also my first experience with cooking or eating asafoetida, which is quite an eye-opener. It's a really unique ingredient with a phenomenally pervasive aroma, and the tiniest pinch adds barrels of flavour even to a heavily spiced dish. It also makes your entire kitchen smell of nothing else, unless you seal the bottle in an airtight container. Then the smell starts to fade after a week or so.

escobert
05-01-2015, 09:41 PM
I couldn't name one thing, but I'm forced to try new food all of the time. My girlfriend is always doing her crazy Pacific Islander cooking.

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 06:12 AM
No. I don't even remember the last new thing I tried.

noxious.sunshine
05-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Green Tea Kit Kat.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.

blackmage_nuke
05-16-2015, 02:25 PM
I had long life milk. Theres a slightly cheesy taste to it but i guess its sufficient for the making of Milkshakes and chocolate milks