PDA

View Full Version : Salad!

noxious.sunshine
04-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Summer is fast approaching here in the northern hemisphere, so naturally a salad thread is in order.

What are your fave salad combos?

I love baby spinach- not just for the health benefits, but because I can do so much more with it besides just a salad. I buy a big bag every week and pretty much consume it by myself.

I like throwing on some avocado, onion, and maybe some black beans and corn and doing like a tex-mexy type salad.. With a lime/jalepeno/garlic/evoo vinaigrette. I might crumble on some shredded cheddar or queso fresco. And sometimes I'll add chopped boiled egg or a couple strips of leftover grilled chicken. :3

I also do just chickpeas, goat's cheese and red onion sometimes with lemon juice and evoo

And chopped strawberry, blueberries, sunflower seeds, and a balsamic vinegar reduction mixed with evoo ... Or red wine/evoo combo!

I never buy bottled dressings as I'd much prefer to make my own like what I listed up there. Saves mucho calories and tastes way better!

Calliope
04-21-2015, 01:19 AM
what the heck is evoo?

Most of my salads are kale based, because lettuce is a waste of chewing. My make my own salad dressings, which are usually a combination of some kind of oil, a citrus fruit, mustard, and herbs/spices.

Calliope
04-21-2015, 02:31 AM
Ooooooooh. I use that all the time, yeah.

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 04:34 AM
My favourite salad is pretty simple

Lettuce
Carrot
Cucumber
Shredded Cheese
Caesar, Ranch, or Italian Seasoning

Night Fury
04-21-2015, 07:27 AM
I like simple salads. I can't stand it if there's just way too much going on in the bowl with loads of dressing soaking everything and urgh.

Last night I made a salad which was just iceburg, baby spinach, fennel, cherry tomatoes, and snowpea shoots. I just added olive oil, some sea salt then balsamic vinegar. Was yummy!

Part of the reason I hate chicken ceaser salad is because if you ever order it they go way to overboard with the dressing and it's gross! DRESS LIGHTLY. DRESS DON'T DRENCH!

Cloudane
04-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Can't go far wrong with lettuce, tomato / cherry tomato, cucumber, maybe some pickled beetroot and a light dressing.
Quite often I would chuck some chicken in.

Depending on hunger, weight management etc I might go for a pasta salad, maybe even add in little treats like half a scotch egg and/or a rollmop herring
If there's room for a bit of a pig-out then it's off to the "salad" bar, but those are a rather loose definition even by my terms :D

noxious.sunshine
04-21-2015, 03:37 PM
I almost always order the dressing on the side.

When I worked at Red Lobster, we had to mix our own Caesar salads in a pan in the salad bar.. I had a knack for getting the perfect amount of dressing on the lettuce. Customers complimented me all the time on it.

Bubba
04-21-2015, 03:59 PM
I think I'm the only person I know that likes sweetcorn on their salad. I think I must be some sort of freak as no-one else is that keen. Am I on my own here?

noxious.sunshine
04-21-2015, 04:00 PM
lol I mentioned it up there Bubz! ^_^ I do fresh corn shaved off of the cob in my salad sometimes!

Cloudane
04-21-2015, 04:03 PM
I think I'm the only person I know that likes sweetcorn on their salad. I think I must be some sort of freak as no-one else is that keen. Am I on my own here?

Nah, one of the best salads I've had (a takeaway salad of all things xD) included lettuce, diced chicken, tomato, red and yellow peppers, sweetcorn and pineapple. I thought it was an excellent combination!

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Oh, fruit salads are good too!