PDA

View Full Version : Game reccomendation

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 04:56 PM
So I was hoping to get some recommendations from people. I cleared most of my backlog of games and I have 2 left to play after I finish what I'm currently playing (The 2 in my backlog are: The Guided Fate Paradox and Persona 3). But I'm in the mood for a particular type of game and I was hoping members could help!

-I am looking for an RPG. It can be an action RPG or a Strategy RPG or any kind of RPG.
-A decent sized cast of characters. Not a game with like 3 characters. I'd say at least 5, although the more the better
-Some good female characters
-An easy enough game or at least one with a difficulty setting

Optional:
-I prefer anime style art in the game, but that's not a need
-Some humour in a game would be nice
-Dating sims are always a plus
-If the majority cast was female or even the main protagonist, that would be great

Here's some games I liked that I would be in the mood for that perhaps could help give you an idea of what I might like:
-Agarest War games
-Fairy Fencer F
-Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
-Tears to Tiara II
-Rune Factory 3 & Tides of Destiny

Any suggestions? Also, thank you for the help!

metagloria
04-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Here is a list of games you might enjoy
(http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161484-Pumpkin-s-Top-Games-of-All-Time-Ever)

Skyblade
04-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Rune Factory 4 gives you the option of playing as a female protagonist. Since you enjoyed RF3, you'll probably enjoy it as well.

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Here is a list of games you might enjoy
(http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161484-Pumpkin-s-Top-Games-of-All-Time-Ever)

Games I haven't played yet fool :colbert:

Rune Factory 4 gives you the option of playing as a female protagonist. Since you enjoyed RF3, you'll probably enjoy it as well.

Thanks, I might look in to that one!

Vyk
04-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Perhaps a Sakura Wars game? There's very few released in English though. And not sure if many of the others are worth the trouble to get into English, as the first three (I think?) were Saturn games. Which is notoriously hard to emulate, and once emulated, pretty hard to even run on even the newest computers. You may enjoy a YouTube Lets Play though

I actually had a couple of games in mind, but they wouldn't match much of the criteria. I feel compelled to suggest Shining Force games though, despite how outdated and ancient they are. They're really cute and fairly easy yet super enjoyable strategy role playing games for the Sega Genesis. And just like you like them, they are super bright and colorful (especially SF2) despite the dark and evil things happening in the world

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 05:43 PM
I will look in to them, thank you :3

Fynn
04-21-2015, 08:55 PM
I was gonna propose Baldur's Gate, though that is probably because I'm really into it now. It's certainly different to what you're used to, but it's still a fantastic game, so let's see how it'll measure up against your criteria :) (also, treating BG1 and 2 as a single entity here)

-I am looking for an RPG. It can be an action RPG or a Strategy RPG or any kind of RPG.
Definitely an RPG. A WRPG based on the AD&D second edition ruleset. It's turn-based, but the turns all play out fast, so it almost plays like real time. Sounds weird, but it works. Kinda similar to FFXII.

-A decent sized cast of characters. Not a game with like 3 characters. I'd say at least 5, although the more the better
You get 6 spots in your party. In BG1 you get to choose from around 30 characters, but aside from a quest each and a couple throw-away lines, they're not too complex. In BG2 you get much less to choose from, but they all have questlines, arcs, loads of banter with the other characters and even romances.

So I think in both games around half of the characters are female, and a lot of them are really memorable and good (especially in BG2). Heck, it's perfectly possible to have an all-female party.

It has five difficulty settings. I just found out I was playing on a lower difficulty that normal and it was too easy for me, but there is an even easier mode than that.

Optional:
Yeah, you won't get that here. I had a hard time getting used to the style, but it grew on me. The character sprites differ little from each other, and the portraits, while varied, are a mixed bag. They look like photoshopped photos in BG1, and memorable and pleasant (albeit a bit cheap looking) paintings in BG2. Luckily, the new portraits added in the Enhanced Edition look awesome. Plus, you can always import your own.

Tons of it, in the dialogue mostly. Especially with some of the crazy evil characters. It's mostly pretty dry, and I love it :D

You get a pretty epic romance sidequest in BG2. It's really great.

-If the majority cast was female or even the main protagonist, that would be great
Like I said, it's perfectly possible to have an all-female party, and your main character is an avatar you create, so nothing's stopping you from making it a girl that you decide the personality of. The Forgotten Realms setting is pretty equalist, so no one ever belittles your character for being a female and all characters have equal opportunities when it comes to stats and all.

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Is it just on PC? My computer can't handle games very well so I'm not sure how it would run it. Other than that it sounds interesting. Do they need to be played in order?

Fynn
04-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Is it just on PC? My computer can't handle games very well so I'm not sure how it would run it. Other than that it sounds interesting. Do they need to be played in order?

Yes, they definitely need to be played in order, since you even get to transfer your character from BG1 into the sequel. You only reach around level 10 in BG1, and then you continue in BG2 to epic levels. The enhanced edition is out on PC, iOS and Android devices. It's a remake of a really old game and really does not have high requirements. You could run it on a calculator, seriously.

http://www.baldursgate.com/img/screenshots/screen06.png

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Alrighty, I'll check it out

I have a few recommendations now, so when it comes time I'll sit down and look at them and decide. I might even play several

Feel free to suggest more games, I can never get enough suggestions :D

Thanks for the help everyone!

Fynn
04-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Alrighty, I'll check it out

I have a few recommendations now, so when it comes time I'll sit down and look at them and decide. I might even play several

Feel free to suggest more games, I can never get enough suggestions :D

Thanks for the help everyone!

Just let me know when you'll be starting. I'll give you tips. There's a huge weirdness factor for JRPG fans. I probably wouldn't be able to figure it out had it not been for my wife. It helps if you've ever played pen and paper D&D.

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 09:07 PM
I haven't really so I'll let you know if/when I need help, thanky :D

Ayen
04-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Uhh... Have you played any of the Mass Effect or Dragon Age games?

Endless
04-21-2015, 10:58 PM
You should give a look at Long live the Queen. From your list, the main downside is that you don't play a party of characters, but otherwise:

You can train in various aspects (combat, intellect, strategy, manners and etiquette - remember, you are a princess -, magic...) and how you train affects how the story unfolds.

You only play one character, but the cast around really has its importance. Depending on how you play, you'll see some more than the others and learn different things.

Plenty of them.

Surviving is fairly easy (though you might die in your first playthrough, but die and learn is how it works. There are achievements for dying the different ways you can die, in fact.). Getting all the endings will require planning because story branches. Since it uses the visual novel format, the difficulty isn't skill based, it's managing yourself right so you don't die from, say, the first duel thrown at your face but have the skills to overcome it one way or another.

Optional:

Check.

Check. It's definitely full of humour.

Who and how you date him/her affects the story. Depending on how you play, the same character may be your lover or your worst enemy.

You're the princess in this game :D

Scotty_ffgamer
04-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Perhaps a Sakura Wars game? There's very few released in English though. And not sure if many of the others are worth the trouble to get into English, as the first three (I think?) were Saturn games. Which is notoriously hard to emulate, and once emulated, pretty hard to even run on even the newest computers. You may enjoy a YouTube Lets Play though

There was Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love on both the PS2 and Wii. I actually have the game, but I don't know if I ever played it? I definitely have no idea if it's actually good or not. I think I remember seeing a review for it that made it seem good and finding it for really cheap. Might be one worth looking into as I think it's mostly mostly females in the game and I think is meant to be more on the humorous side.

Pumpkin
04-21-2015, 11:39 PM

I have not, I might look in to those!

You should give a look at Long live the Queen.

Oh this looks precious. I'm still concerned because it's for PC, but I *seem* to have the system requirements

There was Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love on both the PS2 and Wii. I actually have the game, but I don't know if I ever played it? I definitely have no idea if it's actually good or not. I think I remember seeing a review for it that made it seem good and finding it for really cheap. Might be one worth looking into as I think it's mostly mostly females in the game and I think is meant to be more on the humorous side.

I'll check it out, thank you :D

Skyblade
04-22-2015, 12:37 AM

I have not, I might look in to those!

You should give a look at Long live the Queen.

Oh this looks precious. I'm still concerned because it's for PC, but I *seem* to have the system requirements

I'll check it out, thank you :D

Long Live the Queen is not very hardware intensive. You should be able to run it fine. It's fun, but there is a lot of trial and error. You don't know what events are coming, and therefore what to prep for, ahead of time. You're likely to fail on your first two or three plays. Until you really get the hang of the system, it's pretty daunting. If you can get the hang of it, it's pretty rewarding and has decent replayability with the different choices you can make and outcomes you can get. Just know that because of this structure, it can also be very repetitive.

Pumpkin
04-22-2015, 12:55 AM
Ah, alrighty. I will keep that in mind, thanks for the tips!

CimminyCricket
04-22-2015, 01:20 AM
disgeaa >:C

Vermachtnis
04-22-2015, 02:34 AM
Child of Light! It's not anime or dating sim, but it's great RPG with a playable cast of eight. The main character is a girl. And it's not all that hard.

Phantom Brave is another great game. It's very anime and a tactical RPG with a female main character and it's on the easy side. It runs the full gambit of emotions; you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll want to commit genocide against an entire island full of assholes.

And if you don't mind hard games, I'd suggest Yggdra Union. It's another tactical game with a female lead, but it has a pretty unforgiving difficulty.

Spuuky
04-22-2015, 03:24 AM
Dragon Age.

3/4. Not terribly easy, but I am pretty sure it has a difficulty setting.

-If the majority cast was female or even the main protagonist, that would be greatNo anime style, plenty of dating sim, main protagonist can be female.

Also a side benefit of being one of the 5-10 best RPGs ever made across all subgenres and platforms. And old enough to run easily these days.

Pumpkin
04-22-2015, 04:45 AM
disgeaa >:C

IT'S TOO HARD

Child of Light! It's not anime or dating sim, but it's great RPG with a playable cast of eight. The main character is a girl. And it's not all that hard.

Phantom Brave is another great game. It's very anime and a tactical RPG with a female main character and it's on the easy side. It runs the full gambit of emotions; you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll want to commit genocide against an entire island full of assholes.

And if you don't mind hard games, I'd suggest Yggdra Union. It's another tactical game with a female lead, but it has a pretty unforgiving difficulty.

I'll look up the first one. I have Phantom Brave! Also, not in the mood for difficult. I'm terrible at hard games and I already have one lined up :< Although I guess it's for the GBA? I do have a GBA emulator and if I can find cheats to make it easier, it might be a good match!

Dragon Age.

3/4. Not terribly easy, but I am pretty sure it has a difficulty setting.

-If the majority cast was female or even the main protagonist, that would be greatNo anime style, plenty of dating sim, main protagonist can be female.

Also a side benefit of being one of the 5-10 best RPGs ever made across all subgenres and platforms. And old enough to run easily these days.

I will look in to it, sounds interesting, thank you!

Fynn
04-22-2015, 05:07 AM
Dragon Age is actually a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, you know :3:

Spuuky
04-22-2015, 05:37 AM
Dragon Age is actually a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, you know :3:Distantly, and it's a better game (not that Baldur's Gate was bad, but it is... very aged now).

Fynn
04-22-2015, 06:07 AM
Dragon Age is actually a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, you know :3:Distantly, and it's a better game (not that Baldur's Gate was bad, but it is... very aged now).

I can't argue with that, since I haven't played DA yet, but I find that hard to believe :colbert: The enhanced edition really makes the experience far less dated.