PDA

View Full Version : The more things change, the more they...

Ayen
04-23-2015, 11:52 AM
I couldn't think of a good ending title so I just trailed off in periods.

How has opinions on (insert game related thing you care about here) changed from the time you first played the game? Back in my day Majora's Mask was that sequel to that awesome Zelda game on the N64 that everybody loved and couldn't stop talking about. The people who actually liked the game seemed to be few and far between thus earning it a slot in the "underrated" category. Skip ahead fifteen years later (15th Anniversary in four days btw) and it's just as overrated as Ocarina of Time is!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well, it is :colbert:

How does things like this happen? Is it a word of mouth thing? A sign of the times thing? A result of having internet and being able to communicate with more people? Were their bribes?

Discuss.

Bubba
04-23-2015, 01:20 PM
When I first played FFX in 2002 I remember having a severe hatred of Wakka. It is an opinion I held until 2014 when I played the HD remaster. I really quite like the guy now... and Tidus. Go figure.

Shauna
04-23-2015, 01:22 PM
People who hate on things, stop hating as vocally on things letting people who legit like things to speak without being shouted down. I'm sure the people who didn't like Majora's Mask still don't like Majora's Mask. They just got all their mad about it out 15 years ago.

LunarWeaver
04-23-2015, 09:14 PM
My opinion of older survival-horror titles, which used to be my main jam, has really changed. I just can't enjoy them the same anymore. It basically comes down to was it made pre-RE4 or post-RE4. For some that game ruined the genre forever, though.

Ayen
04-23-2015, 11:46 PM
My opinion of older survival-horror titles, which used to be my main jam, has really changed. I just can't enjoy them the same anymore. It basically comes down to was it made pre-RE4 or post-RE4. For some that game ruined the genre forever, though.

I know what you mean. Hell, the tank controls I used to have no problem playing with now keeps messing me up. I'm old. Time to retire.

Rez09
04-30-2015, 06:09 AM
I agree with Shauna for the most part, as people with complaints tend to be the most vocal and over time they usually move on to other things and leave the people who enjoyed the experience behind; there's also the subject of knee jerk reactions, something I am horribly guilty of, which subside over time and leads to fairer re-evaluation of a title.

Games I can think of that public opinion has totally flipped on are:

Final Fantasy VII, which has gone from popularly adored, to popularly rejected, to a little of both on the fringes but overall fairly evaluated.

Mario II, which most people seem to like now, though when I was younger it wasn't especially well received, and once Mario 3 hit no one wanted to touch it, even though Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt remained a staple in their NES library.

Every single Pokemon generation that isn't Gen II, which will be widely heralded as both the absolute worst and one of the best generations Game Freak has released at least once.

Super Mario Sunshine, which everyone I knew hated when it released, but people in general seem okay with now. At the very least far more than when it released.

Wind Waker, Zelda II, and Majora's Mask were all generally unpopular with the people around me when they came out, for varying reasons, but now all three are quite popular and loved titles.

Why are most of these Nintendo titles? >.<