PDA

View Full Version : Emulations

Ayen
04-24-2015, 12:47 AM
No, not the roms sitting on your harddrive that are technically illegal. I mean old games that are re-released on new consoles being given a different control schemes they weren't originally designed for. How do they feel to play for you?

The biggest example I can think of is the Atari Anniversary Edition. All the games on that were designed with rather specific controls in mind because of their arcade. Anything that requires a joystick or a rolling ball to play were horrible with the analog controls of the PlayStation making a lot of the games harder than they would be if you played on the original device.

Another one I discovered recently was Zelda. That thing was horrible to play on the GameCube with how the controller is designed. My finger would slip off the control stick and the D-Pad arrows are so smurfing small I'm hitting everything!

One girl I talked to says she can't even play Mario 3 on the 3DS. She needs to play the game on the original NES version to get any enjoyment out of it.

And last but not least, Metal Gear Solid 3 on the 3DS. Imagine needing to use all four circle buttons on the PlayStation controller just to look around in first person view mode. They updated it with that stupid crawl mechanics from MGS4, too so you have hold the down button just to crawl which takes more time it should, and you have to press DOWN to get back up. Down for up, you all know how it should be.

Discuss.

Rez09
04-30-2015, 04:38 AM
Another one I discovered recently was Zelda. That thing was horrible to play on the GameCube with how the controller is designed. My finger would slip off the control stick and the D-Pad arrows are so smurfing small I'm hitting everything!

I actually remember having that problem at first. Someone also swapped the shoot and jump buttons on the Gamecube Mega Man Anniversary collection, which was utterly maddening. I mean, you get used to it, but why would someone do that? >.<

I also hear the GBA version of Sonic 1 is quite terrible, though I've never played it. No idea if that is emulated, however.

Ayen
04-30-2015, 04:40 AM

I actually remember having that problem at first. Someone also swapped the shoot and jump buttons on the Gamecube Mega Man Anniversary collection, which was utterly maddening. I mean, you get used to it, but why would someone do that? >.<

I also hear the GBA version of Sonic 1 is quite terrible, though I've never played it. No idea if that is emulated, however.

They made B jump? Does no one watch the Angry Video Game Nerd?

Pike
04-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Best way to play Atari games that isn't on the original Atari 2600 console is to play them on the Atari Flashback because it comes with the joysticks :3:

Bubba
04-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Playing games designed for consoles that are available on IOS are just horrible to play.