PDA

View Full Version : Jared Leto's Joker...

The Fat Bioware Nerd
04-25-2015, 05:32 AM
David Ayer on Twitter: "The Suicide Squad wishes you a Happy Anniversary Mr. J! #Joker75 #SuicideSquad @WarnerBrosEnt @DCComics http://t.co/LZXz0x947Q" (https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/591761248859123713/photo/1)

Jared Leto's Joker looks like a freak, man...

(Sorry, I couldn't post the image itself.)

Ayen
04-25-2015, 06:04 AM
That's what the new Joker is going to look like? Not sure how to feel.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
04-25-2015, 06:10 AM

Well, we haven't seen him in the purple Joker suit, yet.

Pheesh
04-25-2015, 06:43 AM
Jared Leto is a good actor, and the groundwork has been laid for how a Joker should be in Batman movies, but I still see no possible way that he is as good as Heath Ledger's Joker. Happy to wait and see though.

Shorty
04-25-2015, 07:01 AM
I think it's an overcompensating getup. And I don't know why the smurf they would release a photoshoot of how he's going to appear in the film to cater to fan approval instead of just waiting until the smurfing movie comes out. Really, really not loving the "damaged" tattoo on his head. Really?

I lost interest in Suicide Squad when Tom Hardy bowed out, though.

Ayen
04-25-2015, 07:31 AM
Jared Leto is a good actor, and the groundwork has been laid for how a Joker should be in Batman movies, but I still see no possible way that he is as good as Heath Ledger's Joker. Happy to wait and see though.

I just want a good Joker portrayal. No one should try to out do Ledger's performance.

Pheesh
04-25-2015, 09:20 AM
Just looked again, he totally looks like Marilyn Manson

http://img.informador.com.mx/biblioteca/imagen/370x277/654/653834.jpg

Tyson
04-25-2015, 10:39 AM
This is terrible!!!!! :/

He looks like a wannabe punk rock star. The freshly dyed hair, the tough guy tattoos, doesn't fit into the character of Joker at all. I'm not someone who gets upset about comic to movie adaptions usually. This looks abysmal tho.

Psychotic
04-25-2015, 11:46 AM
That awkward moment when your tattoo has better teeth than you do.

Bubba
04-25-2015, 03:54 PM

Shiny
04-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Nice costume for someone pretending to be a good Joker.

It really just screams I am trying too hard to look crazy and quirky. There needs to be more subtlety here.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
04-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Nice costume for someone pretending to be a good Joker.

It really just screams I am trying too hard to look crazy and quirky. There needs to be more subtlety here.

Like I said I before, we haven't seen the man, in the classic purple suit, yet.

Shorty
04-25-2015, 06:17 PM
The purple suit won't help anyone here. Jared Leto's getup is officially the worst.

I really hope that this is an elaborate prank. This can't be serious.

CimminyCricket
04-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Am I really the only one who is excited for this? You've got to be kidding me! :C

Kalevala
04-25-2015, 09:46 PM
I think the tattoos are a little much, but other than that I'm not too bothered by it.

DMKA
04-25-2015, 11:29 PM
I don't like it. I don't like it at all. He looks like the kids you'd see shopping inside Hot Topic ten years ago. Those tattoos are so generic and unimaginative and don't at all look like something The Joker would subject himself to. Yuck.

The appearance sucks, but his demeanor may turn out fine, and the actor may do a fine job portraying him, although I don't see how he could beat Heath Ledger's portrayal in The Dark Knight.

Ayen
04-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Just looked again, he totally looks like Marilyn Manson

http://img.informador.com.mx/biblioteca/imagen/370x277/654/653834.jpg

Can't unsee it now.

Or that.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
04-25-2015, 11:35 PM
I don't like it. I don't like it at all. He looks like the kids you'd see shopping inside Hot Topic ten years ago. Those tattoos are so generic and unimaginative and don't at all look like something The Joker would subject himself to. Yuck.

The appearance sucks, but his demeanor may turn out fine, and the actor may do a fine job portraying him, although I don't see how he could beat Heath Ledger's portrayal in The Dark Knight.

People used to say the same thing about Heath Ledger except it was "I don't see how he could beat Jack Nicholson's portrayal in Batman."

DMKA
04-25-2015, 11:40 PM
People used to say the same thing about Heath Ledger except it was "I don't see how he could beat Jack Nicholson's portrayal in Batman."

I've never heard anyone say that, or at least, not earnestly. :p

But your point stands. I frankly don't think Leto is a quarter the actor Nicholson is or half the actor Ledger was though. But it's entirely possible that he could surprise and amaze me. Time will tell.

Regardless, it doesn't change how much this design sucks.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
04-25-2015, 11:47 PM

I've never heard anyone say that, or at least, not earnestly.

I heard stupid ass Doug Walker (a.k.a. The Nostalgia Critic) say that crap. Or words to that effect.

Ayen
04-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Doug Walker doesn't count.

Nobody at Channel Awesome counts.

Crop
04-26-2015, 12:08 AM
I'm so sure that it's a joke, that it's probably not.

Jessweeee♪
04-26-2015, 01:31 AM
http://www.avclub.com/article/jared-letos-joker-definitely-down-clown-218545

Ayen
04-26-2015, 01:39 AM
http://www.avclub.com/article/jared-letos-joker-definitely-down-clown-218545

That says it all, really.

Shorty
04-26-2015, 01:41 AM
It has to be a joke. No actual Joker would work with tattoo "damaged" on their forehead.

Slothy
04-26-2015, 02:50 AM
Really, really not loving the "damaged" tattoo on his head. Really?

All of the tattoos are shit really. Take them away and you have a look that probably woks, but they're just so bad. Saw someone on another site say it best; they look like something a fanboy obsessed with the Joker would have.

CimminyCricket
04-26-2015, 03:54 AM
Give them time to work out that stuff. I mean, of the two movie Joker's I liked Heath's the best, but it wasn't the best thing since sliced bread. He's one of two people to have held that part on the big screen. I preferred it because it was dark, but that doesn't mean it's going to be hard to top that. Take the lame edgy tattoos away and it'll be probably one of the better Joker designs.

Ayen
04-26-2015, 04:21 AM
Really, really not loving the "damaged" tattoo on his head. Really?

All of the tattoos are trout really. Take them away and you have a look that probably woks, but they're just so bad. Saw someone on another site say it best; they look like something a fanboy obsessed with the Joker would have.

All the tats and stuff wouldn't be out of place with the Joker gang from Batman Beyond.

maybee
04-26-2015, 11:09 AM
Looks like a stereotypical/ cliche criminal psychopath

Tyson
04-26-2015, 11:31 AM
After having 24 hours to think about it, if you removed all the tattoos it wouldn't actually be too bad.

But yeah, that 'damaged' one is terrible, can't look past that. Also get rid of the grill and just give him some yellowed teeth or something. Or even a set of pearly whites.

Shauna
04-26-2015, 11:34 AM
http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/112/043/original/ledgerresponse.jpg

Gonna give him a chance, although it does look a wee bit silly.

Slothy
04-26-2015, 11:44 AM
That is why I'm not saying anything about his abilities to play the Joker. Just that the look is incredibly bad.

Mirage
04-26-2015, 11:46 AM

I am.
It's dumb.

Of course, his performance can still be good, but it certainly wouldn't be helped by his appearance

Crop
04-26-2015, 12:39 PM
http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/112/043/original/ledgerresponse.jpg

Gonna give him a chance, although it does look a wee bit silly.

To be fair I think most of that criticism is at the announcement of HL being cast, before they'd even seen what he looked like.

Honestly I could begrudgingly live with the design if they just removed that damn 'damaged' tattoo!

Shauna
04-26-2015, 12:59 PM
I won't deny that the design is terrible, but there are already people saying that he'll never live up to the previous Joker. The past is doomed to repeat itself!

Jessweeee♪
04-26-2015, 04:28 PM
idk Jared Leto is pretty good in stuff I can see him pulling off Joker. Hopefully they aren't married to this look. We'll see!

I Took the Red Pill
04-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Am I really the only one who is excited for this? You've got to be kidding me! :CNope, I think it looks great. The reason that Batman is so enduring is that it's interesting to see different variations on the characters we all know and love. Heath Ledger took the gritty, more nuanced variation to its maximum potential so there's no use in touching that kind of interpretation for a long time. I don't really know much about this film and the aesthetic feel that it's going for, but from the pictures it looks like a more classically clownish Joker, which I'm down for, especially since Jared Leto is a good actor.

Kalevala
04-26-2015, 06:33 PM
The more I look at this, the more I dislike it.

Also, 63984

Perducci
04-26-2015, 10:57 PM
Get rid of the tattoos and it doesn't really look too bad. I'm confident enough that he'll give us a good performance. The teeth don't bother me so much mostly because honestly, I wouldn't expect someone who routinely has his face smashed in by Batman to have a perfect set of teeth.

http://i.imgur.com/npWMWH4.jpg?1

Ayen
04-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Yeah, that looks much better.

Colonel Angus
04-27-2015, 05:06 AM
I honestly believe the tattoos were just added for promotional purposes, sort of a way of visualizing the Joker's insanity. I don't think they'll be in the movie.

Sephex
04-27-2015, 05:15 AM
I'm not judging the movie or his future performance off this one photo alone, but the original image just comes across as trying way too hard. The body tattoos are a little much, but whatever. It's that stupid "Damaged" on his forehead that really made me roll my eyes. In another thread about this somewhere, someone made a good point that any incarnation of the Joker wouldn't be patient enough to have any ink done to him.

Yes, everyone thought Ledger's joker would be stupid/subpar, but the backlash was mainly the announcement that he would be the Joker. Once pictures of him started to be released a good chunk of people calmed down.

Again, I have an open mind, and I would like to see a movie like this do well. But there is something really sketchy about this look. I'm not even going to go the easy route and call him "Hot Topic" joker. It just feels like whoever designed the look is desperately saying, "See?! This isn't Ledger's Joker! See it isn't any other kind of Joker! See?! This is different!!" Setting yourself apart from past works, especially if it related to some sort of source material, isn't bad. But when you try too hard I get a bad vibe.

Freya
04-27-2015, 04:39 PM
I have faith in Leto as an actor but this look makes me doubt a bit about the actual role.

Unfortunately, DC doesn't have the creative cohesion that Marvel has these days. So their production and storylines are a bit all over the place like Marvel used to be before actual marvel stepped in.

Psychotic
04-27-2015, 04:47 PM
The tattoos most likely won't be in the movie as he is probably not going to be walking around shirtless. Probably.

Bubba
04-27-2015, 05:01 PM
He's a very good actor and I will reserve judgement until I see the film I see what everyone on Twitter says.

I was pretty shocked that he won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for Dallas Buyers Club though. Very overrated film and performance.

Shiny
04-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Yeah, that looks much better.

Agreed

Also it's Jared Leto. He will be shirtless at some point.

Pheesh
04-28-2015, 12:49 AM
If the joker really wanted to be sadistic he would have had the "damaged" tattoo written in comic sans.

Shiny
04-28-2015, 02:20 AM
If the joker really wanted to be sadistic he would have had the "damaged" tattoo written in comic sans.

Or more accurately, the Jokerman font which is equally terrible.

charliepanayi
07-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQK9la6Go

Mirage
07-13-2015, 10:11 PM
the tattoos are still dumb

Ayen
07-13-2015, 10:25 PM
Looks like Shiny nailed it.

Shows promise, though I don't know if Jared Leto should be trying to do the Heath Ledger Joker voice.

Was that Batman? Batman is in this movie? -looks up IMDb- I be damn, Batfleck is in this, too.

Margot Robbie is hot.

Shorty
07-14-2015, 12:28 AM
There's a lot of confusion about accepting Jared Leto to play as Joker as fans were hesitant to accept Heath Ledger to play the Joker, but I think that most people recognize Leto as a pretty solid actor whereas with Ledger is was like "what is this prettyboy doing in our circle" sort of thing. I truly feel like the presentation of the Joker himself is what is off-putting to fans in general.

I did some reading on an analysis of Leto's Joker (http://www.thesportshero.com/why-letos-joker-could-be-the-best-yet/), and it's kindof brought me to an understanding of his character. He's still not my preferred Joker, but I feel like I am not able to reconcile the direction they are taking him in based on this article, specifically with comparisons to Jack Nicholson’s gangster Joker and Heath Ledger’s iconic anarchist Joker and then stating that Leto's Joker may be the first to be an actual totally unhinged psychopath.

I don't agree that he will be the best Joker ever, but his role with Joker's evolution throughout time makes sense. Joker has been in prison and has lost any shred of sanity that still lingered. The tattoos are sortof a cheap and obvious way of stamping "prisonmate" on him, and his teeth have been replaced via prison system because they were knocked clean out by Batman before he was put away. His descent into utter psychopathic madness makes sense; it's just not my favorite story of Joker's.

Plus, the creators would be outright stupid to try to make him into a copy of Heath Ledger's Joker because he wouldn't get near the level of transformation involved to pull it off. They are working with what they can and playing to Leto's strengths for the character. It might work, it might not. Either way, I have no doubt in Leto's acting ability. It's the portrayal of this Joker that I doubt instead. I do appreciate the evolution of Joker, though. It's something I've always found very interesting.

We'll see, I guess.

Shiny
07-14-2015, 12:44 AM
There was footage of him acting quite campy. In all honesty, I feel his portrayal will be too cartoony and off-putting. He is a solid actor (sometimes), but he has the tendency to over-act. I saw him in a film where he was doing the most ridiculous o-face I have ever seen in a sex scene and will never forgive him for that. Heath never really over-acted not even in the terrible films he was in, but I don't want to compare them because they're two different people and actors.

Shorty
07-14-2015, 12:49 AM
I actually didn't watch the clip because I am a trailer avoider :shobon:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-14-2015, 03:47 AM
I'm okay with it.

Ayen
07-14-2015, 04:00 AM
I didn't see a lot of camp in his scene, but then again I associate campy with a lot worse these days.

Sephex
07-14-2015, 05:10 AM
I just don't...I don't know. I don't have the energy for this. I'll probably see it if enough friends want to go or something. Looks okay. Same thing with the Superman V Batman Turbo Edition & Knuckles.

Bubba
07-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Can someone recommend me a decent Jared Leto film? As in, one where he is worthy of this 'great actor' label which he has been given. I watched The Dallas Buyers Club recently and was frankly shocked that he won an Oscar for that. I've seen him in Fight Club and Alexander and whilst he is definitely watchable, I would hardly describe him as great.

Pheesh
07-14-2015, 10:26 AM
My favourite film he is in is Requiem For A Dream. He's pretty good in that.

charliepanayi
07-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Who on earth has ever given Jared Leto a great actor label? The only film of his he's ever had much acclaim for was Dallas Buyer's Club. Before that he was more known for his terrible music band.

Night Fury
07-14-2015, 04:18 PM
^ Requiem for a Dream dude.

Slothy
07-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Nothing about the trailer struck me as being very interesting. Least of all Will Smith playing a villain forced to be a hero who doesn't seem remotely villainous.

Shorty
07-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Also recommending Requiem for a Dream. Beside Fight Club, he's also in Girl, Interrupted and American Psycho. The rest of his roles haven't been very good at all, but Requiem for a Dream sealed him in as an excellent actor for me.

Bubba
07-14-2015, 06:29 PM
I'll definitely check out Requiem for a Dream then. Give him one more chance!

Shauna
07-14-2015, 06:54 PM
I ain't massively impressed by this trailer either, but I am more interested in this than I am in Bats vs Supes so there we go.

charliepanayi
07-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Requiem for a Dream is great, though it's Ellen Burstyn who is by far the best thing in it. Plus be warned Bubba, it's one of the most depressing films ever.

theundeadhero
07-14-2015, 07:48 PM
I don't mind his tattoos so much. They're making him look like he could exist in the world of today, not 1947. What I can't stand are those teeth. They're so stupid.

G13
07-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Joker looks like he hit a Lowes after watching the new Mad Max movie.

Ayen
07-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Joker looks like he hit a Lowes after watching the new Mad Max movie.

This is so accurate it hurts.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-14-2015, 11:10 PM
Prefontaine

Night Fury
07-15-2015, 07:42 AM
I just watched the trailer - it looks alright and I'll definitely see this I think! Maybe not in the cinema but I'll wait for more trailers.

Zanmato
07-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Jared Leto will be a good Joker, that's sure, but Heath Ledger was the best in my opinion, he even beat Jack Nicholson in my personal ranking. :P
I'll give this movie a try, but I'm still not buying the idea of the Suicide Squad, but it's just me. :P

Rocket Edge
07-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Ledgers Joker was great and everything but I found it very forced and kind of annoying the way he had a speech impediment. I think I like this one better. They both have very different bone structures it seems. The costume designs in this movie look very well done. Margoe Robbie is perfectly cast IMO. And poor Will Smith - he's getting bashed everywhere by comic book nuts, but he's a great actor, I'm sure he'll be perfect. :shrug:

Trailer looks good, so I'll definitely go see it.

Shorty
07-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Margot Robbie is perfectly cast for the New 52 Harley, who I can't stand :shobon:

G13
07-15-2015, 10:36 PM
I get it, Srh. Don't you shobon, it's a natural feeling.

Shorty
07-15-2015, 10:39 PM
I get it, Srh. Don't you shobon, it's a natural feeling.

I knew you'd understand!