PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hills gets cancelled

Psychotic
04-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Because Konami are abysmal.

http://kotaku.com/its-official-silent-hills-is-cancelled-1700379816

Guillermo del Toro, Hideo Kojima and Norman Reedus. What a fucking line up that was. And I tell you what, having played P.T. I was genuinely excited for it too. It was disturbing and unsettling, and it's a damn shame we're losing out on this.

Shauna
04-27-2015, 06:54 PM
It may not all be lost!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/04/26/guillermo-del-toro-touches-on-his-collaboration-with-kojima

Here is a last glimmer of hope.

Skyblade
04-27-2015, 07:08 PM
It may not all be lost!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/04/26/guillermo-del-toro-touches-on-his-collaboration-with-kojima

Here is a last glimmer of hope.

Not exactly. That's an older statement that is actually directly referenced in the Kotaku article. Konami themselves is quoted as claiming the project is dead.

The only new hope is that negotiations for future Silent Hill games is "ongoing".

Shauna
04-27-2015, 07:10 PM
o

:(

well nm then rip in peace pt

Bolivar
04-27-2015, 07:18 PM
Knew this project was getting axed when Kojima did.

Poor Guillermo Del Toro. All he wants is to make a video game.

Shiny
04-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Nooo, so gutted. Konami wtf are you thinking? This would have been amazing.

CimminyCricket
04-27-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm really crushed. That was the scariest Silent Hill in a long, long time.

Ayen
04-27-2015, 09:44 PM

Same. Not sure what Konami was thinking letting Kojima go.

Slothy
04-27-2015, 10:01 PM

I'm not sure what Kojima was thinking staying so long.

Ayen
04-27-2015, 10:09 PM

I'm not sure what Kojima was thinking staying so long.

I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER!

Wait...

Scotty_ffgamer
04-27-2015, 11:05 PM
MGS 5 will probably be my last new Konami game then. I mean, there's still a chance that they'll do something worthwhile down the road, but this was the only other game I was looking forward to by them. Lords of Shadow never appealed to me, so Castlevania hasn't been exciting to me. Silent Hill has generally been a bust since Shattered Memories until PT started showing new potential. Did they do Suikoden as well? That franchise hasn't been utilized in a while.

We'll see how this all plays out, but I'll be interested in seeing if Kojima does some cool stuff away from Konami. He won't be tethered to Metal Gear anymore, so it'd be a chance for him to try to branch out into other places like horror.

Aulayna
04-27-2015, 11:08 PM
RIP in pieces in pepperonis.

Vyk
04-27-2015, 11:30 PM
I'm kinda with Scotty. Not a lot of Konami games have been grabbing my attention for years. I've had great respect for Kojima though, and I'm kinda eager to see what he does on his own. I haven't played a Suikoden but my girlfriend loves them, and of course Konami isn't interested in revisiting them. I haven't enjoyed a Castlevania in a long time. Or an MGS. So it's probably kinda nice that Kojima isn't shackled to that series. I bet if Kojima and Del Toro made a kickstarter to redo this game under a different name they'd have it funded in like a week

Skyblade
04-28-2015, 12:10 AM
I'm kinda with Scotty. Not a lot of Konami games have been grabbing my attention for years. I've had great respect for Kojima though, and I'm kinda eager to see what he does on his own. I haven't played a Suikoden but my girlfriend loves them, and of course Konami isn't interested in revisiting them. I haven't enjoyed a Castlevania in a long time. Or an MGS. So it's probably kinda nice that Kojima isn't shackled to that series. I bet if Kojima and Del Toro made a kickstarter to redo this game under a different name they'd have it funded in like a week

It would be funded in under a day. Within a week, they'd already have not only met all their stretch goals, but have a hefty cushion to help fight the lawsuit that would be coming.

Sephex
04-28-2015, 02:49 AM
I can't find the link, but I read that a lot of people are speculating that Konami is more interested in building gambling machines or something because gambling laws might change in Japan to benefit the manufacturing of such things. This whole Kojima MGS/PT mess is basically the company clearing the way to transform into a different company.

Sad to see yet another developer that has been around since I first started console gaming turn heel on gamers, much like Capcom (though that situation was different).

Ayen
04-28-2015, 02:53 AM
I can't find the link, but I read that a lot of people are speculating that Konami is more interested in building gambling machines or something because gambling laws might change in Japan to benefit the manufacturing of such things. This whole Kojima MGS/PT mess is basically the company clearing the way to transform into a different company.

Sad to see yet another developer that has been around since I first started console gaming turn heel on gamers, much like Capcom (though that situation was different).

I'll have my Cornette face ready if this turns out to be true.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-28-2015, 03:03 AM
Their pachinko machines produced much more money for them than games if my memory of what I read is correct. I heard something about the possibility of gambling laws changing over there as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their focus to be more on gambling and other more profitable things if that were true.

It would be kind of funny (and sad) if they started selling off their franchises. Hideo Kojima ends up getting hired on at another company who then buys Metal Gear and he gets stuck with it again. I kind of doubt they'll sell off their stuff like that, but it is a kind of funny scenario to think about.

Sephex
04-28-2015, 03:27 AM
Their pachinko machines produced much more money for them than games if my memory of what I read is correct. I heard something about the possibility of gambling laws changing over there as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their focus to be more on gambling and other more profitable things if that were true.

It would be kind of funny (and sad) if they started selling off their franchises. Hideo Kojima ends up getting hired on at another company who then buys Metal Gear and he gets stuck with it again. I kind of doubt they'll sell off their stuff like that, but it is a kind of funny scenario to think about.

Yeah, that's right. It was gambling based machines because I saw a lot of sarcastic comments in a thread of people ribbing Konami about pachinko.

Ayen
04-28-2015, 03:36 AM
Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, and Silent Hill pachinko machines confirmed!

Scotty_ffgamer
04-28-2015, 03:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they use some of their franchises in that capacity.

Skyblade
04-28-2015, 05:01 AM

Well, it could get Snake back in Smash...:D

DMKA
04-29-2015, 02:15 AM
P.T. was bloody fantastic and this is all a travesty. :(

Shiny
04-29-2015, 02:21 AM
I want answers. :colbert:

Sephex
04-29-2015, 05:03 AM
I'll give it a shot.

Ultimately video game companies don't actually care about us and just want go a route that would make them the most money. If any existing video game company felt that manufacturing cars or something would net them more money they would transition into that.

Vyk
04-29-2015, 05:06 AM
One of the people investigating and one of the people who had an inside source on info. Unverified, but believable enough to be true, and corroborated by other places that have had inside sources talk about the happenings, and those things are mentioned. So this is a pretty good video to get a birds eye view of what we know so far, and what has been speculated if anyone is interested

iMK-kajdgMA

Fynn
04-29-2015, 05:13 AM
This is devastating news :(

Psychotic
04-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Square-Enix should hire Kojima and have him direct Final Fantasy XVI. And yes, before some killjoy comes in, I know full well that's never going to happen in a million years. Just let me dream.

Laddy
04-29-2015, 01:18 PM
This is pretty humiliating for Konami, actually. They had a very impressive bunch of dudes lined up for a project a lot of gamers were genuinely exciting for and then this happens.

Just sad.

Shiny
04-29-2015, 05:05 PM
I'll give it a shot.

Ultimately video game companies don't actually care about us and just want go a route that would make them the most money. If any existing video game company felt that manufacturing cars or something would net them more money they would transition into that.

This game would have made them a lot of money. Reedus has a huge fan following as does Kojima and Del Toro is clever. This is just puzzling.

Shauna
04-29-2015, 05:40 PM
ynl4sIFazmM

Slothy
04-29-2015, 11:02 PM
I'll give it a shot.

This game would have made them a lot of money. Reedus has a huge fan following as does Kojima and Del Toro is clever. This is just puzzling.

Given all of the talk of Kojima leaving Konami afterr the new MGS is released I'd imagine one of a few things happened:
1) Konami are the reason he's leaving and he isn't interested in working with them on anything else,
2) Konami are pissed he's leaving and cut ties out of spite,
3) They were unable to come to terms as far as him leaving but continuing to work on Silent Hills,
4) Or maybe they all just hate each other now and no one wants anything to do with anyone else.

I'd imagine it may have more to do with Konami assuming Kojima still wanted to make the game though. I mean let's face it, he's not going to be there anymore and he's the only person there who's been making games worth playing with his team since the era of the PS2 ended. And that's not even me exaggerating to make a point, I genuinely have no idea how their other titles in the last ten years have been popular enough to make any money. Losing Kojima is like losing their single biggest revenue stream on the video game end of things. I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima Productions was carrying the other dev teams to a large extent.

Necronopticous
04-29-2015, 11:08 PM
Well, I guess it's good that Bloodborne is worth the entire PS4 purchase price.

Bolivar
04-30-2015, 01:40 AM
I haven't seen it posted in this thread but the current thinking around the internet is that he was forced out of Konami because of the content in the game. Anyone who played MGSV: Ground Zeroes might recall it featuring a number of disturbing plot points, far beyond anything we've come to expect from the series. Since GZ was intended to introduce players to an all-round different direction, it's assumed there will be more controversial topics in the main game. It also lines up with Kojima himself saying he may have to leave the game industry because of the taboo subject matter he's tackling. Given that most video game publishers stay away from this kind of stuff, it's believed he actually may have went too far.

The latest controversy surrounds a real-life Italian doctor attempting the worlds first head-body transplant. He looks exactly like the doctor who Big Boss wakes up to in the epilogue of Ground Zeroes and beginning of the full game. He's actually written considerably on the symptoms of Phantom Pain as well, so many believe the subtitle goes beyond Jack losing his arm or his fallen comrades. The doctor claims to be oblivious to any connection to Kojima but there are a lot of weird connections here. Some people are going as far as to suggest the whole operation and all of its published medical papers and talks are a part of the largest viral marketing scam in history and that Kojima is attempting the biggest mind smurf of his career. That's a little extreme but it's becoming likely that the game's story will explore some of the issues raised by this operation and that whatever Kojima is trying to say about it, he's gone off the deep end for realsies.

Not sure if I outlined this well or not but here's some links about the situation if you guys want to read more:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/04/22/meet-the-head-transplant-doctor-at-the-centre-of-a-metal-gear-solid-conspiracy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160655860&postcount=403

DMKA
05-01-2015, 02:35 AM
The latest controversy surrounds a real-life Italian doctor attempting the worlds first head-body transplant. He looks exactly like the doctor who Big Boss wakes up to in the epilogue of Ground Zeroes and beginning of the full game. He's actually written considerably on the symptoms of Phantom Pain as well, so many believe the subtitle goes beyond Jack losing his arm or his fallen comrades. The doctor claims to be oblivious to any connection to Kojima but there are a lot of weird connections here. Some people are going as far as to suggest the whole operation and all of its published medical papers and talks are a part of the largest viral marketing scam in history and that Kojima is attempting the biggest mind smurf of his career. That's a little extreme but it's becoming likely that the game's story will explore some of the issues raised by this operation and that whatever Kojima is trying to say about it, he's gone off the deep end for realsies.

Not sure if I outlined this well or not but here's some links about the situation if you guys want to read more:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/04/22/meet-the-head-transplant-doctor-at-the-centre-of-a-metal-gear-solid-conspiracy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160655860&postcount=403
I want to believe. That would be the most legendary viral marketing scheme in ever. It would be historically significant. I'd usually just write it all off as silly conspiracy theorists seeing stuff that isn't there but this is Kojima we're talking about and...man there's just way too many connections there, especially in that book. At the very least it seems like Kojima Productions took inspiration from that doctor and his work. There's got to be some connection. Or not. Maybe it is all sheer coincidence, but that's one of the biggest I've ever seen.

It's all certainly a lot more fun to believe than all this stuff about Kojima being fired, having his name ripped off the biggest game of his career, and Konami on their way to destroying two of the most beloved franchises in video game history.

krissy
05-01-2015, 04:04 AM
Final Fantasy 16: Phantom Train

escobert
05-01-2015, 09:40 PM
I never knew this game was going to exist until it was canceled :(

Kalevala
05-02-2015, 01:16 AM
When it was revealed, Silent Hills was the first game announcement I had been really excited about in quite some time. Silent Hill 2 may be one of the finest games ever released, and for such titans as Kojima and Del Toro to be overseeing a new entry in the series was so exciting.

God fucking damnit, Konami.

DMKA
05-02-2015, 04:46 AM
When it was revealed, Silent Hills was the first game announcement I had been really excited about in quite some time. Silent Hill 2 may be one of the finest games ever released, and for such titans as Kojima and Del Toro to be overseeing a new entry in the series was so exciting.

Yeah seriously, one of the biggest self-publishing devs in the world had Kojima, Del Toro, and Reedus together for an entry in an AAA franchise with a demo that got more rave reviews than most full games being released at that time. How in the world to you just end up unceremoniously cancelling a project like that? It's like you have to intentionally screw that up.

Ayen
05-02-2015, 04:59 AM

God smurfing damnit, Konami.

Yeah seriously, one of the biggest self-publishing devs in the world had Kojima, Del Toro, and Reedus together for an entry in an AAA franchise with a demo that got more rave reviews than most full games being released at that time. How in the world to you just end up unceremoniously cancelling a project like that? It's like you have to intentionally screw that up.

P.T. was even nominated for "Game of the Year" awards. GAME OF THE YEAR! That basically never happens.

P.T. have been officially removed from PlayStation Network. I hope you guys downloaded it while it was still available.

escobert
05-02-2015, 02:01 PM

From what I've read Kojima couldn't get along with everyone.

Shiny
05-02-2015, 05:14 PM
It definitely seems like he was fired but I'm really not sure why. They are still going to put out MSG titles probably with a different executive now. Not sure how that's going to be. They shouldn't have canceled this project though either way and now the future for both MSG and SH is pretty grim.

Konami already made the mistake of firing Team Silent and then we got a slew of terrible Silent Hill games. Their egos allow them to believe that they can continue to make these series without the people that knew how to make it great. They're fools.

krissy
05-03-2015, 10:10 PM
pretty soon the real silent hill will be the offices of konami

chirp chirp

DMKA
05-04-2015, 03:15 AM
I'm really starting to believe all these rumors about Konami planning to abandon console/PC gaming to focus on their other business ventures and mobile shovelware have some merit.

Bolivar
05-04-2015, 04:24 AM
I believe it, too DMKA. That makes me want to believe they'll sell their IPs to other publishers but there's a sick possibility they might retain them for their slot machines :whimper:

krissy
05-04-2015, 04:45 AM
did you guys know
that the words 'konam i' in polish literally translate to
"im dying, and"

just some food for thought

Fynn
05-04-2015, 05:45 AM
did you guys know
that the words 'konam i' in polish literally translate to
"im dying, and"

just some food for thought

I can attest to that.

Alternatively, you could interpret the "I" as a short vowel, which would sound like the Polish "y" which would make "konamy"="we're dying".

Hmmm

Kalevala
05-04-2015, 05:52 AM
I'm dying, and what? I'M DYING, AND WHAT​?

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2015, 02:07 AM
This is really disappointing, the demo alone gave off good vibes on how the main game would have been like. Shame it had to die like this. One less reason for me to jump into the new console generation.

This seemed appropriate: