PDA

View Full Version : ToriJ's Top 11 Games I Never Played!

Ayen
04-30-2015, 09:22 AM
http://i.imgur.com/WDsftGn.png

We've had "Best Games," "Worst Games," and "Games I didn't like, but here are some good things about them," but I'm here today to bring you the first ever "Top 11 Games I Never Played" list. I made so many people do a double take with all the games I haven't played/never heard of that I thought, "I might as well make a list." To make this interesting, and actually relevant to the site, I have complied a list of games I've seen discussed on the forums since first joining, so expect a lot of RPGs to be on this list. I don't know why, but the majority of the userbase here really likes RPGs. As an added bonus, I'll throw in whether or not I even heard of the game before joining EoFF.

Just to get disappointment out of the way now, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2, and the FFXIII sequels won't be appearing on this list. I think I made my dislike of those franchises pretty well known and nobody's gonna be surprised I haven't played them. These are mainly games I wouldn't feel the urge to throw into a dumpster if someone handed them to me. So, with that out of the way, place your bets! What's going to appear? What's going to be left out? Will I actually finish the list this time? GO! GO! GO! GO!

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.) Star Ocean
6.) Suikoden
7.) Wild Arms
8.) Super Metroid
9.) Dragon Age Origins
10.) Dragon Quest
11.) Animal Crossing

Pumpkin
04-30-2015, 07:03 PM
This should be interesting!

sharkythesharkdogg
04-30-2015, 07:30 PM
I got an early, leaked post of his first game on the list.

Number 11.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/2/23093/2675208-barbiesupermodel_snesus.jpg

Sharky tells me it's a refined game for a refined palette. I know it's only one data point, but the guy was just so adamant about it. Who am I to judge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ku2SVuqtxI

I would go into it further, but this video sells the game pretty well. Truly a hidden gem.

Seems pretty legit guys.

Colonel Angus
04-30-2015, 11:09 PM
I'm gonna guess @ least 5 of these will be NES/Famicom games.

Ayen
05-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Goddammit, Sharky! Now I have to change my number eleven spot. You can all thank Sharky for this. I will take no responsibility whatsoever.

http://i57.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2ziq3ns.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I learned just how many people have played and enjoyed these games. Have I heard of it before? Yes. I remember looking at pictures from the game in Nintendo Power around the time I subscribed and was dying to get my hands on a Nintendo GameCube. I think I watched my cousin play a little bit of it, but never played the game myself. I would've been 12 or 13 at the time and a game involving animals and stuff just wasn't something that interested me. I was far more interested in Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Brothers Melee, wrestling games, and the Spider-Man game tie-in to the movie.

Would I play it today? Yes. I'm curious to see what all of the fuss is about. I just don't have the money to spare on the game right now. With how widely talked about I've seen it I honestly thought there were more to the franchise than just four games. They seem to do a good job having one on each new Nintendo system since its inception minus the Wii U. Couldn't tell you how they compare since not only have I not played this game, I haven't played any of the games in the series. I won't lie, despite my curiosity it's not high up there on my list of "must play" video games, but I wouldn't turn it down if I could get one.

Kalevala
05-01-2015, 04:08 AM
I got an early, leaked post of his first game on the list.

Number 11.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/2/23093/2675208-barbiesupermodel_snesus.jpg

Sharky tells me it's a refined game for a refined palette. I know it's only one data point, but the guy was just so adamant about it. Who am I to judge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ku2SVuqtxI

I would go into it further, but this video sells the game pretty well. Truly a hidden gem.

Seems pretty legit guys.

Oh, man. My girlfriend was just​ explaining this game to me the other day. Weird.

Rez09
05-01-2015, 04:30 AM
<.<

I have played so little of Animal Crossing, and, like you said, people seem to really love it. I should probably set aside some time and binge on it for a week or so at some point.

Ayen
05-01-2015, 06:31 AM
http://i58.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/345k7ja.jpg

Dragon Quest to most of you. This might not come as too big of a shock since a lot of FF fans don't play a lot of these games. I haven't played any of them. Have I heard of them before? Eeh... Maybe in passing? Before EoFF I haven't seen a lot of conversation about them and while I might have seen the name mentioned somewhere before I had no idea this was one of Square's biggest competitors. When I thought RPGs back in the day I thought Final Fantasy, Legend of Legaia, The Legend of Dragoon, Breath of Fire, things of that nature. This game never showed up as a blip on the radar screen until I joined here. I see the newer games have gotten the DBZ artwork treatment.

Would I play them today? Why not? I already have I - IV and VII so I may as well play them. I see the theme on the main menu selection screen has been consistent through the years. It's so weird seeing Enix standing all by its lonesome. I swear it feels naked without the Square sitting in front of it.

FFIX Choco Boy
05-01-2015, 10:18 AM
If you do play Dragon Warrior 1, make sure to pay special attention to the number of spaces to the right and left of your character on the map. You're welcome.

escobert
05-01-2015, 09:40 PM
#1 should be DayZ :p

Ayen
05-01-2015, 10:51 PM
http://i60.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/259kc2r.png

"Tori, what the smurf?" Yes, it's true. Despite my love for all things BioWare I have never played the first Dragon Age game. This game has eluded me for many years, and even now, deep within my Steam library, it laughs at me. It laughs at my incompetence! "HAHAHAHAHA you like DA2," it says. Stop mocking me, game! You took up a lot of space just to download on my smurfing computer!

I was introduced to the series through Dragon Age 2. It was a Christmas gift from my brother a few years back. I loved it dearly, and having not played the first I wasn't able to see any of the obvious flaws, but I dare say the story and characters are not flawed, and the magic system was improved immensely compared to the first game, according to my brother. Too bad playing as a Blood Mage only makes things awkward. "Blood Mages are horrible!" Hey, hey, remember when I saved your life through blood magic? No? We're just pretending I'm not a Blood Mage? Okay. But other than that, all good.

Have I heard of it before? Um, yeah. I had a lot of friends who played the games and talked about it. I was still into Mass Effect pretty heavy at the time so I never checked it out until my brother gave me a copy.

Would I play it now? Duh! It's in my Steam library and I got a deal on it so good I felt like I was stealing. It's just a matter of when I have time to play it. I do want to try to review more PC games so it might be sooner than you think. I watched my brother play the game so I know what to expect, but I'll warn you now...

I'm never going to get used to the playable character not having a voice. DA2 and the ME series has spoiled me on that front.

Ayen
05-03-2015, 02:10 AM
http://i58.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2h4vr12.jpg

This is probably one of my bigger ironies. Anyone who knows me knows that Metroid is one of my favorite Nintendo IPs. I feel this is their most underrated property they have, and Super Metroid is considered the best in the franchise and set the tone for its genre, and yet... I have never played this game before in my life. A big part of that was due to the fact I didn't grow up with the SNES. My family had a Sega Genesis so I mostly played on that between the NES and N64/PS1 era. I didn't get into Metroid until Prime and Fusion came out.

Yes, I heard of it before. A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I just can't remember when I first heard about it. It probably came up in conversation when talking about Fusion/Prime because who wouldn't think about it, especially in relation to Fusion with how much Super inspired that game and Metroid Zero Mission. Would I play it now? Yes. I have it. I want to play all the older Metroid games if I can, even the old Game Boy one. Though Metroid II seems impossible to find.

Long story short, I need more Metroid in my life.

Ayen
05-04-2015, 01:16 AM
http://i61.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2ut2fky.jpg

Back to the RPGs! Wild Arms is an RPG developed by... -looks up Wikipedia- Media Vision and was released for the Sony PlayStation in... -looks it up- 1996. Didn't come to America until a couple of months later into 1997. It was about... -throws out Wikipedia- Smurf it, I don't care. Wild Arms? Never heard of you! And I never will again! NOW SURRENDER YOURSELF TO THE NEGAVERSE! -drains Wild Arms' energy and powers the Negaverse-

Yeah, these were one of the games that I didn't know existed until I saw it being discussed on EoFF. Nobody I knew ever talked about it and none of the forums I frequented before here ever brought it up and some of those were RPG forums so... :shrug: Would I play it now? I am apathetic towards the subject and there's a long list of games I want to get to that I have more of a desire to play so... :shrug: Have I mentioned :shrug: yet? I tend to forget these things.

:shrug:

FFIX Choco Boy
05-04-2015, 01:33 AM
Wild Arms is HIGHLY niche. You either love them, or you can't stand them. Their wild west style music is something that I couldn't really get over, as well as the batle system being... strange. Depending on which game you're playing in the series, sometimes you don't even know what's going on. There's no explanation for some moves and you have to figure them out by experimentation.

Rez09
05-04-2015, 04:49 PM
I'm a big fan of the original Wild Arms and have been playing it again recently. I love the music, tools, simple spell crafting system, surprising number of hidden bosses, and some of the story elements. It's certainly far from perfect, but I like it well enough. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think the rest of the series ever lived up to the first title. They weren't bad, but more . . . super average.

Ayen
05-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Wild Arms is HIGHLY niche. You either love them, or you can't stand them. Their wild west style music is something that I couldn't really get over, as well as the batle system being... strange. Depending on which game you're playing in the series, sometimes you don't even know what's going on. There's no explanation for some moves and you have to figure them out by experimentation.

Reminds me of Xenogears for some reason.

--------------------------------------------------

http://i60.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/1jsspc.jpg

Man that USA cover looks awful! Suikoden! Another RPG for the PlayStation One I never played before in my life. This game may as well have not existed before I came to EoFF. I think the first time I saw anything about it was during Pumpkin's Let's Play of the second game and that got me interested. Apparently not interested enough to play the game yet, but you know how it is. Sad thing is I don't remember much from the Let's Play now. My memory is crap unless it's something I care about. Didn't know this was a Konami game. Did they smurf this series up, too?

Pumpkin
05-05-2015, 01:34 AM
Awesome series. I'd recommend starting with the third

Ayen
05-05-2015, 01:43 AM

You're the second person to tell me to start a series with 3.

What is it about the number 3?

Pumpkin
05-05-2015, 03:41 AM
I'd say it's more beginner friendly than the others

Rez09
05-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Except the fire magic. >.<

Fynn
05-05-2015, 10:11 AM
I actually just downloaded this game on my Vita. Looking forward to playing it in the summer.

Ayen
05-07-2015, 05:31 AM
Top Five coming soon. I just haven't had the time lately with all the articles I'm writing now.

escobert
05-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Suikoden is one of the best RPG series.

Raistlin
05-08-2015, 03:20 AM

I would disagree with that, even though I love SIII. Suikoden III is big and clunky, with interface and gameplay issues that haven't aged well. It's got a fantastic story and characters, as well as the best major battle system in the series, but for someone not already invested in the series and story, I wouldn't be surprised if a newbie got turned off early. I'd still recommend starting with I or II. Hell, maybe even IV (it's at least quick and easy, and a prequel to the first game).

Pumpkin
05-08-2015, 03:51 AM
Maybe I just feel that way because I started with the third and so did most of my irl friends who are in to it. It definitely has one of the easier recruitments

Raistlin
05-08-2015, 04:16 AM
That is true. With 90% automatic stars, and most of the rest recruitable simply by talking to them and selecting "recruit," S3 is the easiest to get all 108 characters.

Ayen
05-09-2015, 04:12 AM
I should probably state I have an unhealthy obsession with playing games in chronological order, and by chronological order I really mean numbered order, and time of release if the series doesn't go by numbers, so if I play any of them first it'll be the first...

Sounds so weird having to type that out.

Pumpkin
05-09-2015, 04:13 AM
I have a hard time playing older games when I've played the newer ones sometimes. Like people tell me the original Ape Escape is good but I played the 3rd and I'm like ehhh

Some games it doesn't matter but some it just turns me off

Shauna
05-09-2015, 10:56 AM
I should probably state I have an unhealthy obsession with playing games in chronological order, and by chronological order I really mean numbered order, and time of release if the series doesn't go by numbers, so if I play any of them first it'll be the first...

Sounds so weird having to type that out.

I'm the same, a little bit. xD

But the first Suikoden game is alright. It's not as well polished as the second, but don't let that put you off!

Ayen
05-10-2015, 12:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tPo9BOo.jpg

Oh, look, another Enix game. Still weird not seeing Square in front of it. Star Ocean may have been the second story, but for us westerns it was the first game to ever come out in the states. I bet that was confusing. "The Second Story?" What happened to the first!? It was confusing enough when we went from FFIII to FFVII - STOP DOING THIS TO US!

Have I heard of it before? No. 1999? I would've been obsessing over wrestling at the time. I think EoFF is the first time I've seen it discussed. Maybe the title came up in passing before that, but I don't know. Wish I had. There was a time I used to think Mass Effect was one of the first action-RPGs around. Hah! My shelter is of reinforced titanium! Would I play it now? Well... Ultron voice Yeah!

Scotty_ffgamer
05-10-2015, 01:33 AM
I have ALWAYS had friends tell me about the second Star Ocean game. Somehow I've just never played it. I did play the third one and eventually lost interest, and I played the fourth one only to get stuck at a boss and again lost interest. They're fun to play though.

Spuuky
05-11-2015, 07:57 PM
I love the idea of Star Ocean, but every time I play through one I find myself unimpressed by the end.

Pumpkin
05-11-2015, 08:00 PM
I've played a few Star Ocean games, but 4 was my favourite. I played Second Evolution, which I think is the remake of that one for the PSP. It was pretty fun!