PDA

View Full Version : Yooka-Laylee

Skyblade
04-30-2015, 11:56 PM
So, Project Ukulele has been unveiled. The spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie now exists as Yooka-Laylee, starring a chameleon and a bat. We've also gotten the first few screenshots.

I think Yooka is the bat... :shifty:

It's been confirmed to have a Wii U release upcoming, and it looks very pretty so far.

Anyway, this thread is for discussion of what you're looking for in this game, and other upcoming news info for it.

Source. (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/04/playtonics_project_ukulele_becomes_yooka-laylee_wii_u_release_confirmed)

Bolivar
05-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Looks great, I know a lot of people have been hoping for this for a long time.

Rez09
05-01-2015, 04:20 AM
I don't know anything about Playtonic; are people that worked on the original Banjo games part of the company?

Skyblade
05-01-2015, 04:25 AM
I don't know anything about Playtonic; are people that worked on the original Banjo games part of the company?

Playtonic is essentially a group of old Rareware veterans who banded together to make more great games like the ones they used to make. They aren't just "part" of the company, Banjo veterans basically ARE the company.

The Team. (http://www.playtonicgames.com/team/)

Rez09
05-01-2015, 04:39 AM
Excellent. :D
While I was never particularly fond of Rare's 3D outings, excepting Conker's Bad Fur Day, I recognize the quality of their titles and why people loved them. Hopefully this game will live up to people's expectations.

Ayen
05-01-2015, 05:21 AM
Is it coming out for anything else, or just Wii U?

Skyblade
05-01-2015, 05:45 AM

Unknown at this point. More information will be available when the Kickstarter launches tomorrow.

Ayen
05-01-2015, 06:34 AM

Unknown at this point. More information will be available when the Kickstarter launches tomorrow.

-crosses fingers- Please land on a platform I have.

Pike
05-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Hahahaha I love how it's so blatantly connected to B-K with the logo and everything.

Which I'm fine with of course. Hope this game lives up to the hype :) B-K is one of my all time faves.

Mirage
05-01-2015, 12:04 PM
I hope they try to make another 2D platformer too.

Bubba
05-01-2015, 12:18 PM
I was really excited as I thought this thread was going to be about ukuleles :(

I was about to start waffling about Jake Shimabukuro and how is he my hero.

Skyblade
05-01-2015, 05:53 PM

-crosses fingers- Please land on a platform I have.

"If funded, Yooka-Laylee will be released for Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Wii U. However, the exact release timing and scope of each version will be determined by the success of this Kickstarter campaign and specifically, our stretch goals."

The Kickstarter has been open barely half an hour. It's already over goal by more than $60,000.

Kickstarter Link. (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival?ref=nav_search)

I was really excited as I thought this thread was going to be about ukuleles :(

I was about to start waffling about Jake Shimabukuro and how is he my hero.

There will be ukulele music in the game, if that's any consolation.

EDIT: This Edit comes about four minutes after my original post. They have since raised another $25,000.

Freya
05-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Oh heck yeah, Banjo Kazooie was my fav. Those platformers were the best. They really stopped making them and that's sad. Glad they are doing this!

Kalevala
05-01-2015, 07:57 PM
It took me 13 posts to catch on to the musical instrument theme. I'm not a clever man.

Shauna
05-01-2015, 08:16 PM
I have never Banjo nor Kazooie'd, but damn they've almost got £.5mil on that Kickstarter.

Freya
05-01-2015, 08:21 PM
yeah .5 and not even a full day has passed. People want them some banjo-kazooing action!

Skyblade
05-02-2015, 02:48 AM
800,000 Pounds so far.

Just 40,000 Bison Dollars left to the final stretch goal of releasing on every platform simultaneously.

DMKA
05-02-2015, 04:50 AM
I never played the Banjo games but damn if I haven't been yearning for a good platformer. They're in such short supply these days. I mean hell, has there been a single eighth gen platformer besides Knack yet?

I'm gonna play the hell out of this assuming it actually sees the light of day (because y'know...Kickstarter...).

Skyblade
05-02-2015, 05:59 AM
So, they've completed everything except the final stretch goal, and it's still been less than 24 hours since the Kickstarter launched. Currently sitting around 1.3 million dollars, or 9 hundred thousand pounds.

Apparently the pace at which stretch goals are being met has not gone unnoticed by Playtonic.

Leaked concept artwork of the main characters. :D

Skyblade
05-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Apologies for the double post.

Two new stretch goals added:

At 1,100,000 pounds: An N64 shader mode and "GK Rap + Video" for the end credits written by Grant Kirkhope.

At 1,200,000 pounds: Developer walkthrough and commentary video.

Currently only 10,000 pounds away from the first of these additional stretch goals.

Freya
05-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Wow! I went to sleep and it easily gained 1 million since I last looked. WOW. YAY!!!

Vyk
05-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Based on the first couple posts, they were making around $6,000/minute .... That is insane. And it's an extended Kickstarter of 45 days instead of the usual 30. They are going to be rolling in millions of dollars. And good on them. I'm glad there are some fairytale stories like this where companies are trying to give people what they want, and are granted the means to give to them, by the people who want it. When these things work (as they sometimes do) it's completely win/win. I never played Banjo, and never enjoyed Donkey Kong Country. But while I can't afford to kick them anything at the morning, I fully support this endeavor, because my prayers were already answered with Pillars of Eternity, and Torment and I want other fans to be able to experience that joy. And the market needs more quality old school platformers

Ayen
05-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Faith in humanity restored.

DMKA
05-02-2015, 10:09 PM

Leaked concept artwork of the main characters. :D

Pokemons!

Del Murder
05-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Looks promising.

Rostum
05-03-2015, 04:02 AM
Looks cool. I really enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie, but I wasn't super hardcore into it. Still very enjoyable.

Tigmafuzz
05-05-2015, 03:54 PM
H Y P E
Y
P
E

Del Murder
05-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Looks cool. I really enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie, but I wasn't super hardcore into it. Still very enjoyable.
Yeah I thought Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Conker's Bad Fur Day were all better than Banjo-Kazooie. However I did really like B-K and B-T and there has been quite a void in the 3D platform genre. Other than Mario Galaxy, there hasn't been anything promising in this area for years.

Skyblade
05-12-2015, 02:27 AM
The 1.5 million pound goal has been reached, so we will have a full orchestrated soundtrack for the game.

New stretch goal: 2 million pounds. "Payback Time". DLC that will only be worked on once the game is finished and released, and will be given out free to backers.

Smashing it up like a student in Yates’s, Yooka-Laylee backers have strawpedo’d their way through the latest stretch goal, and so now an orchestral soundtrack will be enjoyed by all. But before you stumble towards the high street intending to disseminate a large donner meat and chips – wait, because there’s more...

The entire Playtonic team would like to offer its sincere thanks to everyone who has backed the Yooka-Laylee campaign so far. Our intention from the beginning was to use Kickstarter as a means to improve our game, and by helping us reach an incredible £1.5 million you’ve shaped it into one fine specimen.

From the start of the campaign we also pledged to do best by your amazing support by only setting stretch goals that would improve the game, without negatively affecting core development.

Our next stretch goal, if reached, will be used only to further improve and polish Yooka-Laylee, and give something back for your amazing support. Namely, we’ll release our first post-release DLC pack free of charge for all backers.

When – and only when – we’ve finished and shipped the full version of Yooka-Laylee, we’ll start work on additional content that will be distributed to backers free of charge for their platform of choice. And again, all additional funding will of course go towards improving and polishing the game.

Thanks again for your support, and don’t forget to project your questions and ideas at our social channels on Twitter, Facebook and indeed this very Kickstarter page.

Vyk
05-12-2015, 04:16 AM
I'm seriously considering kicking these guys something before the end of their campaign, even if I don't end up enjoying the game as much as others, I genuinely love what they're accomplishing. And who knows, the end result may be something timeless and universally enjoyed, like a good Mario'esque title or something and I may not be left out of the enjoyment loop. I've bought games, and backed campaigns out of principle before

Ayen
05-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Damn. Current gen only. Hopefully if I get it it'll play all right on my computer.

Mirage
05-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Considering they're making a wiiu version, your pc would have to be more than 8 years old in order to not run it reasonably well. The wiiu is not a powerful machine and a mid-end 2008 laptop should be able to keep up with it.

Besides, by the time this game is done, you might have a current gen console anyway.

Ayen
05-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Considering they're making a wiiu version, your pc would have to be more than 8 years old in order to not run it reasonably well. The wiiu is not a powerful machine and a mid-end 2008 laptop should be able to keep up with it.

Besides, by the time this game is done, you might have a current gen console anyway.

Oh, okay. I'm good, then.

Skyblade
05-16-2015, 03:30 PM
An interview with the developers:
CCIJUv2VRWA