PDA

View Full Version : It was TOO epic...

FFIX Choco Boy
05-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Have you ever played a game/watched something/read a book/etc that was literally SO EPIC that you couldn't do anything for the next couple of days because literally nothing was good enough to follow it up, and you just needed to cool down?

I recently beat Persona 3 and for 2 weeks I didn't play a single game because I was experiencing this. Now at the VERY tippy top of my favorite games list at #1, Persona 3's entire story, from start to finish, kept me so enthralled that finally beating it left me with a huge hole in my life that nothing seemed to be able to fill properly, so I was forced to wait it out until that hole gradually shrunk. Now, it seems like the same thing is happening again because I watched all of RWBY yesterday, and it was just so AWESOME that, no matter what I do, I feel like it's just too mundane to follow it up. So, I've instead been spending the day listening to the RWBY soundtrack and asking myself what I want to do.

Ayen
05-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Uncovered starring Kate Beckinsale got that out of me. I came for the Kate and ended up falling in love with the entire story and cast of characters more than I can remember being in anything else I watched. I wanted to live in that world and it was basically just a mystery/drama deal with some nudity.

Sephex
05-01-2015, 10:50 AM
I attempted the army, but I got kicked out for refusing to obey my officers...whenever I f***ed up they made me do a lot of pushups and when I couldn't do them they picked me up and slammed my head into the concrete slab, landing me in the hospital for a head concussion...when the doctors asked what happened they covered it up by saying I fell off a ladder and hit my head really hard, but when I told them what REALLY happened, they punished me by tying me to the airplane propeller and turning it on at full speed.

Pumpkin
05-01-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm playing Persona 3 now

s'alright

FFIX Choco Boy
05-01-2015, 11:10 AM
#BanPumpkin

Ergroilnin
05-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Too epic was my reaction when I saw Interstellar in IMAX.

LunarWeaver
05-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Bayonetta 2's first stage is like other stuff's big finale and it only got crazier from there. I'm still dizzy.

Loony BoB
05-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Had to chill for a while after finishing The Last of Us. Definitely epic.

Pike
05-01-2015, 03:58 PM
oh god Morrowind. Just that entire game. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri too. I think those two games are the only ones to have that effect on me so far.

Karifean
05-01-2015, 04:05 PM
I actually very rarely have that reaction. It often takes me quite a long period of reflection and thinking before I end up truly falling in love with a story after I finish it. Although that then ends in quite an extreme degree of appreciation. I still find myself periodically going back to thinking about my favorites and being in awe at how amazing they are, and it's been a long time since I last read them.

Last I remember getting a 'void' would be CLANNAD After Story, but it wasn't in epicness but rather in emotional investment. It made me unable to feel sad about anything else for a month or so. Even 12 Years a Slave left me cold.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-01-2015, 05:13 PM
I thought held every anime to the standard's of Akira for a while. Which didn't make it easy to get into them. That whole film is just quality.

Kalevala
05-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Last I remember getting a 'void' would be CLANNAD After Story, but it wasn't in epicness but rather in emotional investment. It made me unable to feel sad about anything else for a month or so. Even 12 Years a Slave left me cold.

This. The same thing happens to me, but not necessarily borne out of "epicness." After watching The Elephant Man I went to bed and just sat there for a while. It left me in a fugue for a few days and I now consider it my favourite film. Same thing happened after 2001: A Space Odyssey. It most recently happened after I finished reading Animal Farm, but not quite on the same level as the aforementioned films.

Fynn
05-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Too epic was my reaction when I saw Interstellar in IMAX.

YES!!!

That movie left me broken for weeks.

Mirage
05-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Not really. I put things like that behind me pretty fast.

Pike
05-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Yeah Interstellar certainly did a number on me. Also The Lion King when I saw it as a kid. I couldn't get it out of my head for months, I was just obsessed with it.

FFIX Choco Boy
05-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Wow, I didn't think that as many people could actually relate to this feeling as do. And, as far as emotional reaction instead of just the epic feeling, I had that at the end of Final Fantasy XIII-2. And a bit to a degree after beating Persona 3. I'd fallen in love with the characters for both games, and the fact that I wasn't gonna be seeing any more of them really tore me apart. That's why I was so glad for Lightning Returns, and I'm going to be even more happy when I get the Persona 4 arenas.

G13
05-02-2015, 03:50 AM
I was that way after finishing Fullmetal Alchemist (first series) a few months ago after ten or so years of not having seen it. Such an enthralling story.

Laddy
05-03-2015, 05:11 AM
Pan's Labyrinth made movies harder to watch. I've never seen a film that so thoroughly captured every aspect of filmmaking in a way that was so personally impactful. It hypnotizes me to this day.

As for games? Planescape: Torment is the type of game I can only play about half an hour at a time at the risk of getting overwhelmed by emotion.

When an episode of Survivor is really emotionally or intellectually satisfying I sometimes have to walk away and process it before engaging in my usual ritual of writing/blogging/podcasting about it.

Vermachtnis
05-03-2015, 06:29 AM
NIER had that effect on me. I just didn't feel like doing much after I beat it.

Vyk
05-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Man, I get this a lot for some reason. Maybe I should consider myself fortunate. But I try not to waste much time humoring pieces of entertainment that don't have some above average factor to it, and so I frequently come across things that are way above average. I guess I'm kind of a snob or elitist that way

Games that spring to mind which did this to me: Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. In all 3 cases, I was exposed to them without purchasing them. Two of them led me to purchase a console just to experience them on after getting a taste through a friend, and I most definitely would have purchased the PSOne just for Xenogears had I not already owned it thanks to FF7

TV shows which spring to mind: Avatar: The Last Airbender, Firefly, Game of Thrones, Attack on Titan, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Movies that spring to mind: Donnie Darko, Brick, Memento, The Matrix (laugh if you must)

I'll probably think of more as the weekend draws on, but yeah, I guess I'm really susceptible to be impacted by movies, shows, and video games if the writing and delivery are up to par

Or I've just been lucky to catch a lot of good ones. Though it's likely just me. Since while some aspect of art can be universal. The way it touches each person is personal, and some things don't touch some people the same way. Just had a lot of stuff resonate with me over the years and then stick with me for days or weeks afterwards before I move on

I also agree with BoB on The Last of Us, and think everyone who enjoyed that game should watch the documentary on YouTube regarding the making of that game. It'll do it to you all over again

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 04:36 AM
Oh yes. The first time I heard the whole "Imaginaerum" album by Nightwish, that just blew my mind with all the song writing, arrangements and lyrics being so well thought out that it flowed with a majestic grace and beauty and overall was a treat. That is the genius credited to Tuomas Holopainen.

Shiny
05-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Yeah Interstellar certainly did a number on me. Also The Lion King when I saw it as a kid. I couldn't get it out of my head for months, I was just obsessed with it.
Yeah, same for me. I watched The Lion King as a kid on a bootleg vhs for about 4 months straight after I saw it in theathers and then did the same thing with the sequel.

I had stop watching movies for a while (for like a day which is a lot for me) after A Clockwork Orange. Mostly because I was disturbed. Also ashamed to admit this but for a short period of time, the only film I watched was Titanic the week it came on HBO I believe.

Chibi Youkai
05-04-2015, 02:17 PM
Words of Radiance. There was just the hole in me after reading it. I just wanted more. Bad timing too, had 25 hours of flight to somehow pass right after finishing it, and didn't want to read anything else. Brandon Sanderson is one of the gods of the written word.

Kalevala
05-05-2015, 04:04 AM
Words of Radiance. There was just the hole in me after reading it. I just wanted more. Bad timing too, had 25 hours of flight to somehow pass right after finishing it, and didn't want to read anything else. Brandon Sanderson is one of the gods of the written word.

Currently reading this, actually! Excellent book.

I Took the Red Pill
05-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Soul rending literature can have this effect on me. In the past ~5 years I would cite The Waves, Infinite Jest, Suttree, The Shadow of the Torturer, Darkness at Noon, a lot of stuff by Raymond Carver and Breece D'j Pancake...becoming completely engrossed in a superb book and then having it come to an end is a weird feeling.

TV & Movies not as much, but I can at least think of Breaking Bad and I'd maybe also say Chungking Express and Eyes Wide Shut.