PDA

View Full Version : Symphonic Metal/ Symphonic Power Metal/ Symphonic Gothic Metal - FANS?

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 01:53 AM
Do we have any fans of symphonic metal/ symphonic power metal and/or symphonic gothic metal here?
If so what are your favorite bands that fit into these genres?

Mine are:
Nightwish (#1 favorite band)
EPICA
Within Temptation
Delain
Sirenia
Xandria
Pythia
Tarja
Amberian Dawn
Lunatica

Anyone else?
BlackFire.

FFIX Choco Boy
05-04-2015, 04:01 AM
I enjoy it every once in a while, but my taste in music is very hard to describe. It's more of an emotional taste than anything else. That said, though, I do love me some Nightwish, Within Temptation, and Dream Evil as far as Symph Metal goes.

krissy
05-04-2015, 04:43 AM
babymetal

Ayen
05-04-2015, 05:28 AM
I'm a fan of music in general and a lot of the time I couldn't tell you what song belongs to which genre, unless it's something obvious like country or rap. I've enjoyed some metal in my time. From that list I listened to some Nightwish and a lot of Within Temptation and liked what I heard from both bands.

Chibi Youkai
05-04-2015, 02:28 PM
You hit up most of what I listen to, actually. You might like Leaves' Eyes and Nemesea, they're both pretty good groups.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-04-2015, 04:14 PM
I enjoy many of the bands you listed, so I suppose that would make me a fan.

They don't fall into the category (or at least they don't label themselves that way), but right now probably my favorite group with some symphonic elements is Ne Obliviscaris. So I'll just leave this here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6TMup64ik)

Leigh
05-06-2015, 07:37 PM
I like Symphonic Metal, but I have to really be in the mood for it, and it is frequently let down by its inclusion of grunting. Although some people like the growling, so it's hard to criticise it since its part of the genre.

Generally, I'd rather have some German Power Metal and Progressive Metal - since the vocals are cleaner, with very good tenor vocalists. The vocal style of symphonic metal singers imitate an operatic sound, but ultimately, they're not trained well enough to be proper opera singers. Epica can be pretty excellent, and Nightwish have a few iconic songs but they're few and far between. Nightwish was one of those bands where I would listen to three of their songs and nothing much else! Haha.

Big D
05-10-2015, 12:56 AM
I do enjoy me some Nightwish now and then. 'Ghost Love Score' is probably my favourite "guilty pleasure" song, and Dark Passion Play is the perfect album for angry lawn-mowing and gardening.

Chibi Youkai
05-10-2015, 01:16 AM
Ghost Love Score has to be Nightwish's best piece. Although Tutankhamen is great fun to listen to, because it's basically a fan's love letter to Stargate SG-1. Or just stargate, but I like the series better.

BlackFire
05-10-2015, 03:38 AM
Ghost Love Score has to be Nightwish's best piece. Although Tutankhamen is great fun to listen to, because it's basically a fan's love letter to Stargate SG-1. Or just stargate, but I like the series better.

GLS is one of their best pieces, I would rank Storytime and The Greatest Show On Earth above GLS.
I love Stargate/ Stargate SG-1. Great show.