PDA

View Full Version : Best Streaming/App Service

Shiny
05-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Which is the best and/or your most preferred for streaming/app service? I purchased a Roku 3, but now considering returning it for the Apple TV since I already have an Apple account and it seems to offer very similar things.

escobert
05-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Comcast :p It'd be cool if they offered an actal streaming service. But, you have to be a cable subscriber to use their streaming.

Shiny
05-12-2015, 10:37 PM
I meant to include a poll, but too lazy to do so now so the options I was referring to is app streaming services like Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV.

Shoeberto
05-14-2015, 10:06 PM
As an ardent DIYer, I'm a big fan of the roll-your-own HTPC approach of using Kodi.
http://kodi.tv/
It's not for everyone though.

If you already buy stuff through iTunes (TV shows and all), the Apple TV probably isn't a bad choice. I tend to like Amazon's offering for streaming video better, though, and I'm not sure if it's available on Apple's platform.

Shiny
05-18-2015, 02:42 AM
I'm not sure but I know Amazon video is on Roku as well. It seems like Roku has more options in terms of the apps available. Apple TV doesn't seems to have even twice as much, but there isn't any easy way to integrate my Apple stuff with Roku, or I just haven't figured it out yet.

escobert
05-18-2015, 10:38 PM
Is there any streaming service that actually lets you view everything you could being a cable/satellite subscriber? Or are you just kinda stuck with whatever networks they have contracts with?

Shoeberto
05-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Is there any streaming service that actually lets you view everything you could being a cable/satellite subscriber? Or are you just kinda stuck with whatever networks they have contracts with?
Stuck like chuck right now, unfortunately. You either use streaming services with specific contracts, buy episodes/season piecemeal, or go all-in as a cable subscriber. There's some indications that broadcast companies are becoming more interested in streaming options, but there's nothing really available atm.

Shiny
05-20-2015, 07:02 PM
The bad thing is some streaming services just offer apps like Shotime Anytime and HBO GO, but if you're not subscribed to those channels under a cable provider, you can't access the app. That's why HBO Now created a different app that lets you access it without a cable subscription, but it's only available on Apple TV right now.