PDA

View Full Version : Games That Aged Well/Aged Badly

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2015, 05:52 AM
AC77t6jdN5k
E_G_BRdrvyc

I don't know how they churn out these videos so quickly but every now and then they make ones that interest me.

I understand and agree with the choices on the "Aged Badly" list for the most part. Although personally I would have had the first Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic somewhere on there.
If they really wanted to piss some people off they could have chosen the first Metal Gear Solid as well. A lot of people find it unplayable nowadays.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 06:02 AM
KOTOR ages badly, you say? I've started playing on my iPhone some time ago and it didn't really feel that dated.

Ayen
05-05-2015, 06:02 AM
Oh, shut the smurf up! Tomb Raider 1 is not that smurfing easy!

Never before have I disagreed so strongly with a single list. You want a game that's dated? Play the second Spider-Man on PlayStation.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 06:08 AM

Never before have I disagreed so strongly with a single list. You want a game that's dated? Play the second Spider-Man on PlayStation.

I see something really rustled your jimmies.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ixhxyasG1r4jjpw.png

Ayen
05-05-2015, 06:11 AM

I'll have your jimmies rustled tomorrow, don't you worry.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 06:15 AM

My jimmies are unrustleable.

Ayen
05-05-2015, 06:20 AM

My jimmies are unrustleable.

http://i.imgur.com/BnXYJO7.jpg

Sephex
05-05-2015, 06:20 AM
Guys! GUYS?! Stop! I can only contain it for so long!! NOOOOOO!!!

HRRRGHGHHRHGH!!!

AHSDHFHag,..,-=jk,pfdgjskdl;gj#*$#%*^#*(

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/rustlemania.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/jimmies5.gif

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/jimmies4.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/jimmies3.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/jimmies2.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/jimmij.jpg

Ayen
05-05-2015, 06:21 AM
I don't know how, but this thread just became the best thread on the forum.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 06:23 AM
Inadvertently rustling countless jimmies.

Pumpkin
05-05-2015, 06:26 AM
/walks out

Ayen
05-05-2015, 06:28 AM
/walks out

She's walking out in protest to the video btw.

I can tell with her / language. -nods-

Sephex
05-05-2015, 06:38 AM
Alright, now that I've got that out of my system, I can see the reasoning for their choices. I always take MatchMojo with a grain of salt. Sometimes their lists are good, sometimes their lists are awful, and most of the time they are very middle of the road. Also, they really need to write better dialogue for the lists because even on the good lists they say a lot of cringe worthy things.

These lists I feel were in the middle of the road. Both of them focused on superficial aspects of video games rather than how they felt (though they sort of addressed that in spots). I suppose the surface area of such a topic is the most obvious thing to look at, but I kind of wish they took the time to dig deeper. I get that they release a billion videos a day, but a little extra time should be spend on stuff like these. There are plenty of lists they do where it can be put together quickly, but a lot of great topics have been squandered by them obviously rushing to get so many videos out per day.

Gah, I didn't mean to rant on WatchMojo so much. That channel is what it is at the end of the day, and I'll admit it is nice to put on if there isn't anything new on other channels I have way more emotional investments in.

Ayen
05-05-2015, 06:45 AM
Complaining about Tomb Raider's fights being easy due to the auto-lock is just absurd to me and comes across like they just played the first couple of levels of the game. With how hard it is to dodge in that game and no means of cover like in the reboot (you basically have to do so much smurfing jumping and roll if you want to turn around in time) if they added having to aim on top of it the game would be smurfing unplayable.

Most of the problems they mentioned with SH1 can be contributed to, "I sucked at this game." I'm not usually that harsh, but it's what I get from it. And I didn't play that game until 2014 so my thoughts have nothing to do with nostalgia.

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2015, 06:49 AM
Alright, now that I've got that out of my system, I can see the reasoning for their choices. I always take MatchMojo with a grain of salt. Sometimes their lists are good, sometimes their lists are awful, and most of the time they are very middle of the road. Also, they really need to write better dialogue for the lists because even on the good lists they say a lot of cringe worthy things.

These lists I feel were in the middle of the road. Both of them focused on superficial aspects of video games rather than how they felt (though they sort of addressed that in spots). I suppose the surface area of such a topic is the most obvious thing to look at, but I kind of wish they took the time to dig deeper. I get that they release a billion videos a day, but a little extra time should be spend on stuff like these. There are plenty of lists they do where it can be put together quickly, but a lot of great topics have been squandered by them obviously rushing to get so many videos out per day.

Gah, I didn't mean to rant on WatchMojo so much. That channel is what it is at the end of the day, and I'll admit it is nice to put on if there isn't anything new on other channels I have way more emotional investments in.

See, I agree with this. Take Grand Theft Auto III for example. They're absolutely right that a lot of people don't find that game as great as they used to. Back in 2001 the level of exploration and freedom you had was amazing. These days...well, it's not the city people complain about. It's more like the level of freedom back in 2001 isn't quite up to par with later games. People go back and replay GTA3 these days and they're like "I can't go in any stores! AND WHY CAN'T I RIDE A MOTORCYCLE????"

I still love it. It's an invaluable part of my teenage years and I can not recall being so addicted to any other videogame in my life. But I see where these people are coming from.

But the "reasons" given in the actual video - a lack of a map and the color scheme of Liberty City - are not among the reasons to complain about the game.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 07:01 AM
Complaining about Tomb Raider's fights being easy due to the auto-lock is just absurd to me and comes across like they just played the first couple of levels of the game. With how hard it is to dodge in that game and no means of cover like in the reboot (you basically have to do so much smurfing jumping and roll if you want to turn around in time) if they added having to aim on top of it the game would be smurfing unplayable.

Most of the problems they mentioned with SH1 can be contributed to, "I sucked at this game." I'm not usually that harsh, but it's what I get from it. And I didn't play that game until 2014 so my thoughts have nothing to do with nostalgia.

Agreed on Silent Hill. I haven't played it until four years ago and I never felt it was too dated.

Also, they're complaining about the puzzles? Really? What are they, four?

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Everyone knows the worst SH game is 3.

Then again, nobody ever liked that one so it can't age badly.

Ayen
05-05-2015, 07:20 AM
Everyone knows the worst SH game is 3.

Then again, nobody ever liked that one so it can't age badly.

I hope you get stuck in the Deku Scrub mask.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-05-2015, 07:31 AM
Silent Hill 3 is my favorite, I think. Though I haven't beaten it yet. Got towards the end and then college was over and the person I borrowed it from took it with him.

Anyways, I don't really think anything on the first list outside of the fighting games and GTA(which I have little experience with so can't comment on) have aged particularly poorly. You just have to get used to tank controls, but I really think they are necessary for the way Silent Hill built atmosphere. I can't speak much for Resident Evil, but I thought part of the charm was its terribly cheesy B-movie dialog. I'm a sucker for those kinds of horror movies sometimes though. It just depends what you are looking for really. Star Fox is still a favorite of mine because I think it still plays beautifully. I prefer 64, but the original is more satisfying if I'm looking for something harder. Metroid plays very well I think, but I've never played anything else in the series outside of the original. I guess I don't really enjoy the multiplayer in Goldeneye very much, but I think it still plays very well in single player. FFVII is ugly by today's standards I guess, but the style has a lot of charm to it.

I'm trying to think of things not on the list that have truly aged poorly over the years to me, but I'm kind of struggling. Sonic Adventure is the only thing I can think of that had a lot of wow factor for me as a kid but I can't find much enjoyment from it anymore.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Silent Hill 3 is actually pretty well loved, even if it's not as adored as SH2. If anything, it's The Room that is the most reviled from the Team Silent games, but it's still my second favorite game in the series. What comes afterwards, though... Oy vey...

Ayen
05-05-2015, 08:35 AM
I've yet to play SH2. If I can't get my hands on The Evil Within by October I'll probably throw it into my Halloween lineup this year, even though I hear it's not as scary as 1 or 3.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 08:42 AM
I've yet to play SH2. If I can't get my hands on The Evil Within by October I'll probably throw it into my Halloween lineup this year, even though I hear it's not as scary as 1 or 3.

It's a different type of scary.

The type where you feel complete isolation and utter hopelessness over your fragile existence :monster:

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2015, 08:42 AM
The thing is, people talk about Silent Hill 4. The Room might be of questionable quality (I love it) but it's still widely discussed and debated.

Nobody talks about 3. It's just that game that exists between the phenomenall 2 and the dubious quality 4.

3 brings nothing to the table except for the fact it probably was the scariest SH game. The plot isn't as interesting as 2 or 4, there's only like 4 characters and none of them are as interesting as any one character from 2 or 4, and it arbitrarily killed off the main character from 1 for SHOCK VALUE.

You know what other third installment did that? Aliens 3. And it doomed that sequel too. (and to clarify, I mean how it killed Newt and everyone besides Ripley. And then it did kill Ripley but the death of Newt and the others is much more like the death of Harry in how stupid and pointless it was)

Besides the fact it's actually pretty scary, there are two things I'll give SH3:

1. Good music, as is to be expected.
2. Vincent, the most interesting character in the game.

And you know what, smurf you game. I tried to help that lady and to make her feel better in the confessional and you want to go and give me the evil ending that doesn't make any damned sense. Oh I understand it conceptually speaking but it is very poorly handled. If they wanted to further develop Heather's character in relation to The Order they should have done it less clumsily. As it is, it feels like an afterthought. It could have been cool but not the way they did it.

Why, in the evil ending, does she kill Douglas? Is she possessed or what?

Fynn
05-05-2015, 08:49 AM
The thing is, people talk about Silent Hill 4. The Room might be of questionable quality (I love it) but it's still widely discussed and debated.

Nobody talks about 3. It's just that game that exists between the phenomenall 2 and the dubious quality 4.

3 brings nothing to the table except for the fact it probably was the scariest SH game. The plot isn't as interesting as 2 or 4, there's only like 4 characters and none of them are as interesting as any one character from 2 or 4, and it arbitrarily killed off the main character from 1 for SHOCK VALUE.

You know what other third installment did that? Aliens 3. And it doomed that sequel too. (and to clarify, I mean how it killed Newt and everyone besides Ripley. And then it did kill Ripley but the death of Newt and the others is much more like the death of Harry in how stupid and pointless it was)

Besides the fact it's actually pretty scary, there are two things I'll give SH3:

1. Good music, as is to be expected.
2. Vincent, the most interesting character in the game.

And you know what, smurf you game. I tried to help that lady and to make her feel better in the confessional and you want to go and give me the evil ending that doesn't make any damned sense. Oh I understand it conceptually speaking but it is very poorly handled. If they wanted to further develop Heather's character in relation to The Order they should have done it less clumsily. As it is, it feels like an afterthought. It could have been cool but not the way they did it.

Why, in the evil ending, does she kill Douglas? Is she possessed or what?

So what you're saying is that YOU didn't like it :p The SH community as a whole does seem to like it quite a bit, though.

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2015, 08:52 AM
The SH community doesn't care about 3. That is its sole defining trait.

Nobody praises it as much as 2.
Nobody argues about it as much as 4.

And that's because there's absolutely nothing special about it.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 08:58 AM
I actually see a lot more people talk about SH3 than 4. I guess it depends on which parts of the Internet you visit.

Ayen
05-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Not sure what all you did in the game, but I know there's a good ending where she's just kidding about the possessed thing.

Pretty much disagree with what you said about the characters. I liked Heather and the crazy cult lady. The guy whose name I can't remember was okay.

The two games people told me to play as soon as I played SH1 was 2 and 3. EoFF is the only site I know that has ANYONE who gives 4 the time of day.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Not sure what all you did in the game, but I know there's a good ending where she's just kidding about the possessed thing.

Pretty much disagree with what you said about the characters. I liked Heather and the crazy cult lady. The guy whose name I can't remember was okay.

The two games people told me to play as soon as I played SH1 was 2 and 3. EoFF is the only site I know that has ANYONE who gives 4 the time of day.

4 is amazing.

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2015, 10:16 AM
4 is a great game. You just have to find the right people.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWCmWgGID7c-trdjFnnvAhjmrj9_9ixQk

I used to talk with this lady when she was doing her SH4 review and posting on a forum we both frequented. I'd recommend it to anyone but to you especially Tori since you don't know much about the game.

Bubba
05-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Pretty much any game that came out at the beginning of the 3D gaming era around mid/late nineties is guaranteed to have aged badly. It was just a necessary period in which gaming took a big leap but graphically they generally look awful these days.

There are very few games that can still hold their heads high in the graphics department from this era.

Ayen
05-05-2015, 10:20 AM
I plan to play 4 in due time anyway as I wish to review each game in the series, so I'll be avoiding other reviews as to not color my own opinion whenever I get to them.

Thanks, though.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 11:12 AM
4 is a great game. You just have to find the right people.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWCmWgGID7c-trdjFnnvAhjmrj9_9ixQk

I used to talk with this lady when she was doing her SH4 review and posting on a forum we both frequented. I'd recommend it to anyone but to you especially Tori since you don't know much about the game.

Dena Natali is awesome.

maybee
05-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Badly : Tekken, PSONE

Good : Chrono Trigger

black valentine
05-05-2015, 11:34 AM
I agree with some of the speaker's opinions on the games, especially FF7 and Super Mario. FF7 is amazing, no doubt, but the inconsistency of the graphics just gets to me.

Slothy
05-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Pretty much any game that came out at the beginning of the 3D gaming era around mid/late nineties is guaranteed to have aged badly.

Ignoring graphics, Mario 64 is still the best 3D Mario, Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario Kart, and I could go one but I have not the time. Though those games still look good frankly so fuck graphics.

Also, MGS is the best playing Metal Gear. Yeah, I went there.

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2015, 11:56 AM
You'll see no argument from me my friend. I still regard MSS1 as the most perfect Metal Gear game.

Bubba
05-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Pretty much any game that came out at the beginning of the 3D gaming era around mid/late nineties is guaranteed to have aged badly.

Ignoring graphics, Mario 64 is still the best 3D Mario, Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario Kart, and I could go one but I have not the time. Though those games still look good frankly so smurf graphics.

Yeah, I'm referring more to games that are going for a more 'realistic' look as opposed to Nintendo's 'cartoony' style approach. Pretty much all Mario games are gonna be timeless as they don't deviate from those style of visuals. Mario 64 is still my favourite 3D Mario too. Super Mario Kart will always be the best Mario Kart though. The introduction of the blue shell is the worst thing to happen to the series. As soon as they started punishing you for good driving it made that much less of a racer.

In full agreement that MGS was the best Metal Gear game too. I wouldn't class that as full 3D as the majority of it is still from that top down vantage point. Just started another play through of this on my Vita :D

Skyblade
05-06-2015, 12:19 AM

Ignoring graphics, Mario 64 is still the best 3D Mario, Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario Kart, and I could go one but I have not the time. Though those games still look good frankly so smurf graphics.

If argue that the original Metal Gear (for the NES) trumps it.

Ayen
05-06-2015, 12:36 AM

HEY!

Actually, I can't dispute that one.

Isn't the NES Metal Gear just a poor man's version of the MSX2 version?

Bolivar
05-06-2015, 02:29 AM
Something about internal Nintendo games that just stand the test of time across the board. It's insane to look at Super Mario Bros. 3 and compare it to the rest of the system's pixelated library.

Sephex
05-06-2015, 04:47 AM

HEY!

Actually, I can't dispute that one.

Isn't the NES Metal Gear just a poor man's version of the MSX2 version?

I have to agree with this. The actual Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 completely blow away the US NES iterations. Those games have aged well (the second one far more than the first).

Scotty_ffgamer
05-06-2015, 04:54 AM
Metal Gear 2 has some awesome music too. I do think the first one hasn't aged as well compared to the second, but I still think MGS1 is the perfect Metal Gear experience. I am a bit biased though since that game was my favorite game for many years of my life. I'd love to see a remake of the two games though as there are just some moments in Metal Gear 2 at least that I'd love to see in 3D.

One game series that hasn't aged particularly well to me is the Bonk series on Turbografx-16. I loved those games as a kid, and I still find them to be a lot of fun and good looking. There's just so many other games that I think do the platforming genre better. It has been a few years since I've played though, so maybe I'd think differently if I played them again.

A lot of the disney games I loved as a kid have held up beautifully though. Aladdin, Lion King, Mickey's Magical Quest, Quackshot. They all still look good to this day I think and are a lot of fun to play still.

Ayen
05-06-2015, 04:56 AM
Aladdin, Lion King, Mickey's Magical Quest, Quackshot. They all still look good to this day I think and are a lot of fun to play still.

Soon :cool: