PDA

View Full Version : ITT: Arguing About Silent Hill

Forsaken Lover
05-05-2015, 08:56 AM
The other thread is going horribly off-topic.

SH1 is what started it all.
SH2 is an amazing piece of storytelling in terms of characterization and development. It took the concept of Silent Hill and gave it a lot more depth.
SH3 is unremarkable.
SH4 continued 2's "more personal" story with an emphasis on learning about the main character's past as opposed to featuring a stereotypical evil cult. Oh the evil cult is there but only as a tool to explain why Walter does what he does.

http://i.imgur.com/qA09tYZ.png
MO2LvgjzgmQ

Ayen
05-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Incoming message from the big giant head.

1 and 3 are the only ones I played. I like 3 the best so far.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 09:24 AM
SH3 had really interesting characters. I really liked all of them and they all showed shades of gray. Yes, even Claudia.

It also went more indepth with the cult. It was fun to know what exactly it is that they believe.

I still like 2 and 4 much more, but 3 was a really nice game with a very quirky, snarky protagonist that you really don't see done in horror nowadays.

Slothy
05-05-2015, 11:28 AM
SH3 is the best one. It also happens to be the scariest one by far (I love 2 but it's not that scary). Take from that what you will.

Fynn
05-05-2015, 12:22 PM
SH3 is the best one. It also happens to be the scariest one by far (I love 2 but it's not that scary). Take from that what you will.

Honestly? SH3 didn't scare me at all. SH4 was way freakier and had my heart racing much more, and SH1 was the last game I found really terrifying. I liked SH3 because it was interesting and had cool characters.

Then again, I also find nothing scary about Five Nights at Freddie's which has so many people crapping their pants. Maybe I've just become desensitized to horror?

Slothy
05-05-2015, 01:37 PM
SH4 is the least frightening of any of the Team Silent stuff in my mind, though it had it's cool moments. It just didn't do it for me. Definitely the worst overall in my mind though it's better than people tend to give it credit for. Not that surprising in the end though since Yamaoka was about the only original team member left at that point.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Silent Hill 1 and 3 focus more on the cult side of things while 2 and 4(?) seem to focus more on the more personalized horror the town can bring. I don't find any of them scary really, but I do think 3's atmosphere seemed to get to me more than the others. I liked 3's characters quite a bit, and I think I liked it's puzzles the best. That might just be because it tapped into my interests a little more with things like the Shakespeare puzzle.

I do remember my brother playing the first one when I was a kid and it being scary to me back then though. I'd say I'm just generally desensitized to all things horror. I can't speak for 4, but all of the others are fantastic games. Also, say what you will about the post-Team Silent games, but I still think Shattered Memories is up there with the rest of them. Homecoming and Downpour I still got enjoyment out of, but they in no way measure up to the other games. I do love Downpour's joke ending though.

Ayen
05-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Desensitized to horror? I'll fix that.

-cancels Silent Hills-

Oh...

Fynn
05-06-2015, 09:08 AM
In any case, I like how original 4 SH games each used a different kind of horror. 1 focuses on the fear of losing a child and a lot of fear from animals and gory violence in general, 2 is all about loneliness, 3 is about female horror and fear of your own body, and in 4 it's about ghosts, demonic possessions, and serial killers :monster:

escobert
05-06-2015, 03:45 PM
I played one when I was a lot younger and it scared the trout out of me so I never tried again. I've always hear they're great games.

Shauna
05-06-2015, 03:48 PM
I played the first game recently. The atmosphere is sufficiently terrifying, although all the things that you actually encounter are less so. Didn't stop me spooking myself something awful though! I really need to get round to SH2. If only for the dog ending.

Ayen
05-06-2015, 05:59 PM
I played the first game recently. The atmosphere is sufficiently terrifying, although all the things that you actually encounter are less so. Didn't stop me spooking myself something awful though! I really need to get round to SH2. If only for the dog ending.

I paused that game so many times because of the frights, and some of the damn enemies couldn't even harm me!

Levian
05-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Those god damned tonberries in the school sneaking up on you :/

Kalevala
05-07-2015, 04:04 AM
I cannot rave enough about Silent Hill 2. Few games achieve such a perfect blend of nuance and atmosphere now, let alone a decade and a half ago.

Ayen
05-07-2015, 04:23 AM
Those god damned tonberries in the school sneaking up on you :/

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought tonberries when running around in that school.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2015, 01:05 AM
Silent Hill 2 was a fantastic game and I like how SH4 did it's best to differentiate itself from the series obsession with the Order from SH1 and 3. It's a cool and trippy series and I'm happy I finally obtained copies of a few of the entries I've been wanting to check out.

Forsaken Lover
05-13-2015, 01:16 AM
I suppose we can all just talk about how good the music is. That's something we can all agree with.

_LvEj01NBmQ

Ayen
05-13-2015, 01:28 AM
I'll give you love, Heather.

I mean... Yeah, the music's good.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2015, 03:10 AM
raYnwu_yGmM

2UJOl1P4KQw

Bl5DnkGWdWg
Easily the best vocal track in the series.

h_1lU638EOs

dTuFnAVjiKw

axpmyfpim4I