PDA

View Full Version : Do you play survival horror games?

Pumpkin
05-18-2015, 05:02 PM
They are not for me. Not that they don't seem interesting, but I get too spooked. I get spooked watching other people play them, let alone playing them myself

black orb
05-18-2015, 05:23 PM
>>> Not for me either, Horror games dont scare. Why I would be scared of a bunch of stupid zombies or anything lame like that when I can get mauled in a dark dungeon by giant monsters from hell in games like Dark souls? I mean, that more scary right?..:luca:

blackmage_nuke
05-18-2015, 06:58 PM
If I play a game with guns I like having ammo. The closest thing to a horror survival I've finished is Last of Us. I did get scared by the 2 or so chapters i played of Project Zero/Fatal Frame though. I dont think I'd be scared by it anymore if I played it today but I also dont think I'd have the patience to run around slowly and aim poorly.

I prefer horror point and click adventures

Ayen
05-19-2015, 07:59 AM
I love them. Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, The Last of Us, and Amnesia are some of my favorite games. I'd add F.E.A.R. to the list but that isn't technically a survival horror.

Depression Moon
05-19-2015, 03:01 PM
I can't really call The Last of Us a survival horror game. It gives you way too much ammo for that. on my first playthrough I was conservative with my ammo, but on my second was wondering how much I could get away with and it became crazy easy when I could obliterate everything with molotovs and needle bombs.

The only survival horror games I've played are the first three Resident Evils. I want to play a Resident Evil someday, but I currently don't have any money and my laptop can barely run this DS emulator.

theundeadhero
05-20-2015, 07:19 PM
I generally like think. I'm always way to conservative with my ammo in them though, to the point I'm always leaving extra behind. The same went for the nail bombs and molotovs in The Last of Us.

Formalhaut
05-22-2015, 01:38 PM
I really don't like horror games. I mean, I find the lore, history and story fascinating. It's just the... horror? I don't like getting scared, or frightened, or anything like that.

At most, I can watch a 'perfect' play-through of one with no deaths. But that is a rare occasion.

Mr. Carnelian
05-22-2015, 01:56 PM
At most, I can watch a 'perfect' play-through of one with no deaths. But that is a rare occasion.

It's not always possible to play a horror game without dying.
I seem to recall that you die in 'Slenderman' even if you collect all of the bits of paper, or whatever they were.

Formalhaut
05-22-2015, 03:19 PM

I seem to recall that you die in 'Slenderman' even if you collect all of the bits of paper, or whatever they were.

So how do you win!?! :ohdear:

Mr. Carnelian
05-22-2015, 04:35 PM

The point of the game is to try and avoid Slenderman for as long as possible.
So, you win by avoiding him the longest.
As far as I can remember, anyway. I haven't played it, or seen anyone else play it, since sixth form.

Formalhaut
05-22-2015, 04:42 PM

The point of the game is to try and avoid Slenderman for as long as possible.
So, you win by avoiding him the longest.
As far as I can remember, anyway. I haven't played it, or seen anyone else play it, since sixth form.

But you die at the end anyway! How is that considered a 'victory'?

Mr. Carnelian
05-22-2015, 04:49 PM
It isn't one.
People just played it for the jump scares, really.

escobert
05-22-2015, 05:48 PM
>>> Not for me either, Horror games dont scare. Why I would be scared of a bunch of stupid zombies or anything lame like that when I can get mauled in a dark dungeon by giant monsters from hell in games like Dark souls? I mean, that more scary right?..:luca:

In DayZ it's the players that are scary not the zombies ;)

I don't play your typical Silent Hill or Resident Evil survival horror. In DayZ you actually have to survive. Like eat and stay warm and not get sick or break your legs. Mother Nature and the other players are far more anxiety causing than the zombies are.

Big D
05-22-2015, 11:33 PM
The Last of Us is one of my favourite games, but it's about the extent of my foray into horror gaming. The Silent Hill titles are just too creepily tense for me, and raging gorefests aren't my cup of tea, which rules out some of the other major franchises.

Vyk
05-22-2015, 11:46 PM
I never had much patience for the stereotypical survival horror. So while I enjoyed some Resident Evil I mostly liked the obscure fringe games, and I've mostly only watched Markiplier play them, rather than play them myself. Alien Isolation was phenomenal. And an argument has been made for Bloodborne to be considered one, which is conceivable. I did like Eternal Darkness. I think that's about the extent of my experience. I've tried lots of random ones though, even mainstream. And while I like what Silent Hill has to offer, I haven't tried all the Silent Hill and I guess I just haven't found one to grab me

So I appreciate the genre, and am always on the lookout for a game in the genre to grab me. And every once in a while they pop up. Kinda wish I'd tried P.T. I think it would have been one of them. But yeah. I love the genre. It's just not in general for me. But there are the few gems I adore

Wolf Kanno
05-23-2015, 05:36 AM
I enjoy them, though I prefer horror games where the player is made to feel helpless over ones where they are empowered. I remember having an argument with a friend about whether Devil May Cry constituted as a horror game and I disagreed with my friend who considered it his favorite horror game. My argument was that it's difficult to feel "horror elements" when your main character can totally kick the monsters ass and will call him a sissy mama's boy while doing it.

So games like Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Siren, and some other obscure series I tend to like though I have not had the time to play them all.

Vyk
05-24-2015, 04:26 AM
Yeah... how are you supposed to feel horrified, and have a need to struggle for survival, if your character is a demigod. Same reason people don't consider Resident Evil 4 - 6 survival horror. You're playing a bunch of ripped/beautiful steroid gods tearing hell through hordes of infected

Just saw a Jimquisition video a few weeks ago arguing that Bloodborne was survival horror. Which is an interesting argument I wouldn't disagree with since much of the game can be horrifying, because anything can kill you in one combo, sometimes one hit, if you get caught off guard. And for your first time through, around every corner could be something to catch you off guard. And you are desperate to survive. So it technically qualifies. Even if it is action oriented. You are not a demi-god

Having gothic and typical horror themes, doesn't automatically make something a horror or survival horror game

Tyson
05-24-2015, 05:40 AM
I love survival-horror! Probably my favourite genre next to JRPG's.

It has ran into the same issue as JRPG's over the past decade where most of them suck tho :/ I mean I loved the Resident Evil series but the last true survival horror entry was Code Veronica on the PS2. Same with Silent hill, the only decent ones were 1-4. Everything after that is actiony garbage.

The only good survival horror game I played during the PS3 generation was the original Dead Space (2 and 3 also took the Resident Evil route of basically becoming crappy action games)

Really the only true 'survival horror' games I've seen this generation were Alien Isolation (was okay) and the PT demo from Konami (AMAZING!!!)

I'm always up for a Survival horror game. Good ones are almost unheard of these days tho, developers know they can make way more money if there just give the protagonist a shotgun with unlimited ammo

Depression Moon
05-24-2015, 04:53 PM
The cancellation of Silent Hills must've stung for you, huh Tyson?