PDA

View Full Version : Supergirl!

Ayen
05-07-2015, 04:14 AM
I am so ready for this show I can't stand it. It's set to premier on CBS (they're supposed to announce when next week) and it's made by the people who worked on Arrow and Flash, so I have faith it'll be good. It'll be taking place in the same universe, too. Since CBS is the parent company of the CW cross-network crossovers won't be an issue and it'd be epic as all hell to see all three superheroes working together. I love this costume!

Clicky (http://i.imgur.com/GO4hgSD.jpg)

I mean, I'm not a fan of the muted colors, but it's brighter than Superman's costume in Man of Steel and probably the best Supergirl's costume I've seen in a long while. Hype! HYPE!

HYPE!!!!!!!

Discuss.

Del Murder
05-07-2015, 05:47 AM
I like Arrow and Flash so I'll give this a shot.

Bubba
05-07-2015, 06:12 PM
It can't be much worse than the godawful film that came out in the eighties.

I'm surprised it's taken them this long to reboot it actually.

BlackFire
05-07-2015, 10:54 PM
I have been waiting a LONG time for a new Supergirl live action movie, and to see that she is getting her own live action TV show from the guys behind Arrow and The Flash is exciting to me!
I have been a fan of Supergirl for a long time, and I hope this new show is just as goid as Arrow and The Flash. Hopefully a new live action Supergirl movie will eventually be made too.
I like her costume as well. The muted colors I don't mind at all.
However, I don't remember black being a part of her costume in the comics.
Or is it?

Slothy
05-08-2015, 12:44 AM

They did have Supergirl in Smallville so that's sort of a reboot I guess.

If this is in the same universe as Arrow and Flash though then I'm possibly even more confused by a Supergirl show with no Superman. I suppose I don't actually mind, and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with whether it will be a good show or not. It's just the comic book fan/continuity nerd in me that's having trouble with that. I'm sure that'll pass after the first episode because I'll either love it or I'll hate it and either way I'll stop caring.

Mirage
05-08-2015, 12:46 AM
So superman is a man, but supergirl is a girl? Sexism imo. It should be Superwoman.

Ayen
05-08-2015, 01:09 AM
It can't be much worse than the godawful film that came out in the eighties.

Helen Slater could have made an awesome Supergirl if she wasn't given such trout to work with.

They did have Supergirl in Smallville so that's sort of a reboot I guess.

If this is in the same universe as Arrow and Flash though then I'm possibly even more confused by a Supergirl show with no Superman. I suppose I don't actually mind, and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with whether it will be a good show or not. It's just the comic book fan/continuity nerd in me that's having trouble with that. I'm sure that'll pass after the first episode because I'll either love it or I'll hate it and either way I'll stop caring.

Not sure how they're doing it either, or if they'll have to work around the movies or anything, but I've seen them talk about how Clark is going to be casted, kind of. There was a guy on Arrow who could shoot lasers and trout and they made a point to mention he couldn't have been a meta-human, so I think they're slowly starting to introduce the Superman stuff.

I would've been content if they reworked it to where Kara was the one who came to the Kent Farm and Clark never existed, quite frankly.

So superman is a man, but supergirl is a girl? Sexism imo. It should be Superwoman.

Funny thing is we actually have a Superwoman who's a separate character from Supergirl, and a Superboy who's a separate character from Superman.

It's confusing.

Mirage
05-08-2015, 01:22 AM
So are they just teen versions of the adults then? DC makes no sense.

Ayen
05-08-2015, 01:30 AM
So are they just teen versions of the adults then? DC makes no sense.

Superboy started out as Clark as a child before he became Superman, but more recently it's been a different character that has nothing to do with Clark and I guess can still be considered a teen version, but Supergirl and Superwoman has nothing to do with each other.

Slothy
05-08-2015, 01:38 AM
For the last few decades Superboy has been a teenage clone of Superman (and I think it turned out Led Luthors DNA was added in making him a human kryptonian hybrid... comics are weird). Supergirl was Superman's kryptonian cousin until she died and the DC continuity was rebooted. Then Supergirl was a shapeshifter that took up the mantle. Then Superman's cousin was reintroduced. And of course this whole time there was Power Girl who was Superman's cousin from a parallel universe running around too.

As far as I know Superwoman is basically a female version of Superman from yet another parallel universe but I could be wrong.

And that's the overly simplified version of events that hasn't really applied since New 52 rebooted everything again. As convoluted as comics can get, DC is the absolute worst.

Mirage
05-08-2015, 01:42 AM
yeah, i think i'll stick with marvel

Ayen
05-08-2015, 01:44 AM
And that's the overly simplified version of events that hasn't really applied since New 52 rebooted everything again. As convoluted as comics can get, DC is the absolute worst.

This is why I'm happy the TV shows are smart enough to streamline all of these things. The shows are nowhere near as hard to follow as the comics.

BlackFire
05-08-2015, 03:32 AM

This is why I'm happy the TV shows are smart enough to streamline all of these things. The shows are nowhere near as hard to follow as the comics.

But the shows and movies are getting close to the point where they will be hard to follow because of everyone wanting to reboot these characters over and over again. It will be as hard as the comics to follow. Take Batman for instance, he has several films and TV shows, which to follow as canon? Which version to include in a shared DC universe? Do you start over again?
It is a mess at this point.

Ayen
05-13-2015, 06:59 PM
It's coming out on Mondays in November!

Source (http://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-fall-previews-2015/photos/1004141/meet-the-world-s-newest-hero-supergirl-/84125/it-s-a-bird-it-s-a-plane-it-s-supergirl-/)

Need something to keep me occupied until then.

The suit looks great in this picture.

Richard
05-13-2015, 08:16 PM
I've been waiting to see this for a while. I hope its good and doesn't get canceled.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-14-2015, 01:49 AM
Lm46-envrHo

The "Oh, my god, you're a lesbian," joke from this Supergirl trailer actually reminded me of a joke in Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox where Barry Allen's mother accuses him of being gay and she says, "It's okay, I love you, no matter what!"

Colonel Angus
05-14-2015, 02:31 AM
They've got it going up against Gotham. Makes no sense.

Ayen
05-14-2015, 02:50 AM
That... Looks.. AWESOME! I AM SO HYPE FOR THIS I CAN'T SMURFING STAND IT!

Spooniest
05-14-2015, 02:59 AM
yeah, i think i'll stick with marvel

Del Murder
05-14-2015, 03:23 AM
Well, I'm in. A fair amount of camp but that can't be avoided. Interesting how they acknowledge Superman's existence only tangentially. Also I like 'James' Olsen.

Ayen
05-14-2015, 03:32 AM
While I like Man of Steel, I love the tone of this show so much more. I take back what I said about the muted colors, they really don't matter here since everything else is so bright and colorful. You can tell they're actually having fun with her powers. The flying, walking into bullets, stopping a mother smurfing truck!

Araciel
05-14-2015, 05:44 AM
It looks so laughably bad it hurt my soul. I'm not sure what their target audience is but if I were part of it, I'd likely be pretty insulted.

Sephex
05-14-2015, 07:50 AM
The style between the happy go lucky "new girl in town" stuff and the superhero stuff seemed pretty jarring. That said, I think this show could find its footing in an audience that isn't into superhero stuff that much. Might seem like a bad thing, but sometimes trying to hook a fresh audience works for weird stuff like this.

chionos
05-14-2015, 09:29 AM
The dialogue was atrocious at times. From what I can tell, it's mainly being written by Ali Adler, and I typically like her writing, so I don't know what went wrong here.

Plus there's so much in that teaser that just flat didn't make sense. It looks like a show that's going to run on weekly doses of deus ex machina at worst, and seismic shifts in tone or theme at best.

"James" Olsen seemed to have potential until the helipad scene which ruined it for me by being overplayed, totally cheesed out silliness.

Calista Flockhart's lips. Oh honey, no. You poor thing, why do that to yourself?

Dumbest part:
"I'm just gonna sit here and let that plane full of people plummet to the ground, killing everyone on board. Too bad I can't help.

Oh, wait, my friend is on that plane, I guess I'll learn to fly for the first time right now in the next 30 seconds so I can save her." Total complete utter bullshit writing.

Negatives aside, there were positive things, too. Some of the acting was solid.

Takeaway: (Smallville * Updated Visuals + The Devil Wears Prada) ÷ Bad Writing = Supergirl

Ayen
05-14-2015, 09:32 AM
GTFO haters. This thread is reserved for squealing, flailing, and jumping up and down in excitement. Shoo!

chionos
05-14-2015, 09:56 AM
You know, you're right. I'm sorry. I didn't even notice the "!" after "Supergirl." That says it all and I wasn't paying attention.

Please accept this gift as an apology for hampering your superfangirl circle jerk.

http://rs1img.memecdn.com/super-unaware-of-her-surroundings_webm_4062253.webm

Oops, I meant "gif" not "gift." My bad.

Vincent Valentine
05-14-2015, 12:14 PM
It looks so laughably bad it hurt my soul. I'm not sure what their target audience is but if I were part of it, I'd likely be pretty insulted.
I think the general audience for this is "not men". And I'm perfectly okay with that.

It has a nice mix between hammy and heroic, which is how I like my superhero stuff. Keep the character relationships serious, but accept that the over-the-top elements are... well... over the top, and embrace them.

Her boss is a walking cliché though. I hope they realise this and ditch her quickly. It takes time for a show to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Personally, I find this far more interesting than "I'm Batman but not really" Arrow, and "Lets see how ridiculous we can make this" The Flash. I think the costume could do with a little more work. It feels a little... flimsy? But the rest, I like a lot.

I Took the Red Pill
05-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Damn. I was somewhat excited when Iheard about this, but holy smurf this looks like it's on track to be the worst-acted Superhero media since Ben Affleck attempted Daredevil. It's like they took every trope in the genre and exaggerated it to near parody level. Not only that, but the trailer basically covered every major plot point from the first probably like 3 or 4 episodes, which is, in my opinion, the absolute worst kind of trailer. CBS..........................................:down:

Shauna
05-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Well, it's not grim dark!

Ayen
05-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Damn. I was somewhat excited when Iheard about this, but holy smurf this looks like it's on track to be the worst-acted Superhero media since Ben Affleck attempted Daredevil. It's like they took every trope in the genre and exaggerated it to near parody level. Not only that, but the trailer basically covered every major plot point from the first probably like 3 or 4 episodes, which is, in my opinion, the absolute worst kind of trailer. CBS..........................................:down:

People hated on The Flash trailer too and that turned out to be one of the best shows on TV right now. So... :grover:

Bubba
05-14-2015, 09:44 PM
Yeah, some parts looked okay but Supergirl herself seems annoying as hell. You can't always tell how these things are gonna go though. I might tune in for a few episodes and see how it goes.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-14-2015, 09:48 PM
You know, if 2015's Supergirl is really going up against the second season of Gotham on Monday nights, I'm pretty sure only one DC Comics property can win out, and it might be Supergirl. ;)

Ayen
05-14-2015, 09:51 PM
It already looks better than Gotham quite frankly. Though that's not really saying much.

Pumpkin
05-14-2015, 09:54 PM
I got this adorable Supergirl poster and now I'm excited to learn more about her, but I'm worried I'll be disappointed

Crop
05-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Oh my this looks bad. So damn bad. And 'first' look? Yeah try first...and second, and third. I think I just watched the whole series.

Also looks like everyone and their mothers already knows who she is by the end of the 'teaser' except for super terrible Devil Wears Prada boss.

Think I'll give this one a wide berth.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Crop, whatever yourhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://home.eyesonff.com/) hateful feelings are for this show, it could never be as bad as that stupid Helen Slater Supergirl movie from 1984.

Ayen
05-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Here, Supes. You're gonna need this more than me.

Raistlin
05-15-2015, 02:24 AM
The trailer was a bit campy and obviously targeted towards teenage girls, which by itself is not a bad thing. I'm choosing to believe for the moment that that attempt distorted to some extent what the actual show will be, because some parts of it showed promise. I'll watch at least the first episode.

chionos
05-15-2015, 04:53 AM
The trailer was a bit campy and obviously targeted towards teenage girls, which by itself is not a bad thing. I'm choosing to believe for the moment that that attempt distorted to some extent what the actual show will be, because some parts of it showed promise. I'll watch at least the first episode.

So the terrible writing can be attributed to "writing down" to teenage girls, perhaps?

Forget the target audience angle, I'd watch this if the writing was just not totally shitty. Teenage girls are insane and annoying (I have a preteen daughter and helped raise my sister, I'm allowed to say this!), but they're not stupid. Good grief.

I'll probably watch a few episodes, just in case. I do agree that parts show promise, and I do hope the show finds its feet at some point.

krissy
05-15-2015, 05:07 AM
this actually looks like a fun superhero show so i dunno what you're all complaining about

i can only take so much grime in my superhero tales

then again it is dc so i'm sure something will go wrong

Ayen
05-15-2015, 06:14 AM
Fact is there isn't enough to go on to decide whether or not this will be a good show. People like to forget TV shows need time to develop. Star Trek The Next Generation is considered one of the best SciFi shows ever made. The first two seasons? Complete and utter bulltrout with only a few standout episodes. The show didn't pick up steam until the third season and had its fair share of haters in the beginning. If the network was as hasty to remove it as the haters then we would've been denied some of the best moments in television. Same goes for Deep Space Nine, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and a bunch of other shows throughout history. Even recently with Marvel's Agents of SHIELD that needed half a season to get good. Not 3/4 episodes.

It doesn't end with shows, either. I remember a movie trailer that came out a long time ago that everyone was saying looked stupid and they couldn't take the lead actor seriously.

That movie was called Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.

Don't worry, krissy. Arrow and The Flash are some of the best live action portrays of DC properties to come out in recent years and this is being made by the same people.

I Took the Red Pill
05-15-2015, 06:31 AM
Writing is subjective. I see nothing wrong with the writing in any of the footage shown in the trailer.I mean, this statement is blatantly obvious. Clearly, when people say the writing is trout, it is an opinion. Nobody is saying you can't enjoy it.

i can only take so much grime in my superhero talesTotally agreed on this...a lot of peeps out there trying to emulate Christopher Nolan's take on Batman, and it's getting old. But I'm not saying that a superhero movie/TV show needs to be dark and gritty. Sam Raimi's first two Spiderman films are among my favorite superhero media ever (let's pretend Spiderman 3 never existed). I have no problem with a more lighthearted take on things, but this trailer went way off the deep end imo. Shiet looks like almost like a straight up romcom at times.

As I said, I was excited for this when I heard it announced so I'll probably give it a shot. But all we have to go on right now is the trailer, and based on that, it looks on track to be a total cringefest.

Ayen
05-15-2015, 06:38 AM
Writing is subjective. I see nothing wrong with the writing in any of the footage shown in the trailer.I mean, this statement is blatantly obvious.

Bad habit. I've been an admin for ten years you get used to stating the obvious after a while.

McLovin'
05-17-2015, 09:16 AM
That 6 minute trailer was one of the cringiest things ever.

Look up "what the Supergirl trailer should have been." That I'd how they should have done it. Not that bs female teen audience shtick

Tyson
05-17-2015, 10:26 AM
Should of been a Power Girl tv show (same person after all) targeted towards a male audience......far more entertaining :)