PDA

View Full Version : But I want Phoenix downs!!!

Spooniest
05-07-2015, 05:11 AM
This is unique in ff lore...FF3 does not feature the ability to purchase Phoenix downs, so far as I am given to understand.

:/ most disconcerting

Ayen
05-07-2015, 05:13 AM
And to think I freaked out when I thought FFI didn't have Phoenix Downs.

Do they still have the churches in town to resurrect a dead party member or magic?

Elpizo
05-07-2015, 10:33 AM
You can steal them from enemies on the road to the summit next to Cid's hometown. At least in the DS version.

Spooniest
05-07-2015, 01:13 PM
You can steal them from enemies on the road to the summit next to Cid's hometown. At least in the DS version.

PARTY AT CID'S HOUSE :D

Seriously though, I guess I have time, but it's a pain in the butt stealing from a rare encounter in a place where you don't get jack for EXP or Gil. The most you can come away with is 2 Phoenix Downs every half hour or so, right? Unless...

Do enemies have bottomless steals in this game, like in FF4? :/

That'd be nice...?

EDIT: nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2015, 03:20 AM
On the brightside, the 3D version isn't as difficult as the original Famicom.

Fynn
05-13-2015, 07:28 AM
It's still a harsh case of fake difficulty.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Not really, it fits into the core challenge that old-school RPGs represented, which was resource management. I mean buying Phoenix Downs in later games meant nothing since if you weren't stupid you would only use a handful if even that. It's why I feel the limited inventory from SMTIV was brilliant because the game sort of forces you to use rare items more often since you were heavily restricted in using them to begin with. You would probably use those Elixers if the game forced you to only be able to carry five of them and the game had at least 30 available in chests or guaranteed item drops.

Fynn
05-13-2015, 09:18 PM
Okay, you're right.

As usual.

:stare:

Vermachtnis
05-13-2015, 09:28 PM
This is unique in ff lore...FF3 does not feature the ability to purchase Phoenix downs, so far as I am given to understand.

:/ most disconcerting

Type-0 doesn't let you buy Phoenix Downs either. And they were even rarer, I had one.