PDA

View Full Version : Igarashi's New Castlevania, Sans Konami

Vyk
05-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Following in the footsteps of keiji inafune with the Mighty No. 9 spiritual succession of Megaman outside the hands of Capcom. Koji Igarashi seems to have bailed on Konami (and these days, who can blame him?) and went to Kickstarter to build a new Castlevania'esque game

Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night

I'm always looking for a good metroidvania. And having just finished Bloodborne, which seemed like a well polished rare Castlevania in the 3rd dimension; I currently have a taste for a new one. And though this won't be out for a while, it makes me happy that Castlevanias will live on, and won't have to sink with the grotesque and floundering leviathan which is currently Konami

So yeah. Another Kickstarter to back for anyone interested. Last I checked they were almost funded already anyway. But this is the kind of thing I love about Kickstarter. Our favorite creators getting to make our favorite games, without big publishers mucking things up

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

Necronopticous
05-12-2015, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I backed this immediately. I can't see any reason to hesitate.

Skyblade
05-12-2015, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I backed this immediately. I can't see any reason to hesitate.

It's based on Castlevania, there's your reason.

Which is a shame, because it looks quite interesting apart from that, and I love the way the Kickstarter is structured. Asking people to retweet or make comments and fan art, and using those to drive more "stretch goal" type rewards? Brilliant.

DMKA
05-12-2015, 03:39 AM
Haha, that pitch video is great. One of the stretch goals is getting David Hayter as a voice actor!

I think it's neat how all these devs that developed classic games loved by millions are just going indie, slightly changing looks and names to avoid copyright infringement, and then funding these games via donations. The fact that Mighty No. 9, Yooka-Laylee, and now Bloodstaind got funded by the public literally overnight should wake publishers up to the fact that the market for these kinds of games is still alive and well.

Skyblade
05-12-2015, 03:45 AM
Haha, that pitch video is great. One of the stretch goals is getting David Hayter as a voice actor!

I think it's neat how all these devs that developed classic games loved by millions are just going indie, slightly changing looks and names to avoid copyright infringement, and then funding these games via donations. The fact that Mighty No. 9, Yooka-Laylee, and now Bloodstaind got funded by the public literally overnight should wake publishers up to the fact that the market for these kinds of games is still alive and well.

How can that be? I mean, this one isn't even 3D! And let's not overlook the fact that there isn't a gun in sight! How could anyone want to play it?!

Vyk
05-12-2015, 03:58 AM
Totally agree with DMKA, but I've been preaching that since Wasteland 2 and Torment made millions, and deservedly so. But what's wrong this being Castlevania? I loved almost all the 2D Castlevania games. And if I can't get another Symphony of the Night out of Konami, I may be able to get one out of its creator at the very least. I don't care how he gets his money. A good metroidvania is still rare and hard to find even these days, when it's becoming a ridiculously popular style among fans. Not sure why more companies don't offer them. But then again, people love Rayman Legends and Origins, and nobody paid any attention to that, so platformers had to break off and make Yooka Laylee on their own. Big publishers are just dumb, and I'm enjoying watching Konami squirm, even if I've never previously had anything against them. They're obviously easily just as ignorant as Activision and EA

maybee
05-12-2015, 04:01 AM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-06/25/21/enhanced/webdr08/anigif_enhanced-10527-1403744680-33.gif

Sephex
05-12-2015, 08:09 AM
I've been following this all day and my boner just keeps on getting more and more erect.

Alternately: http://i.imgur.com/GfzFuy3.gif

Araciel
05-14-2015, 05:55 AM
So I saw this game is coming... super excited, backed it immediately and looking at the details I saw it's gonna have crafting

I like some ability to alter stuff/make stuff/spend some time doing other stuff in games...

BUT WHY for the love of PETE does every game have crafting!?

I mean every new game that comes out that I'm somewhat interested in has crafting components... Is it just me and my love of RPGs that has doomed me to this fate?

Depression Moon
05-17-2015, 02:12 AM
This is crazy. How did this game get funded so quickly?

Ayen
05-17-2015, 07:21 AM

People want their Castlevania.

Sephex
05-17-2015, 06:43 PM

People want their Castlevania.

I also think it is a reaction to how people feel how Konami has turned their back on video games.

Mirage
05-17-2015, 06:53 PM
It's not just a feel.

Sephex
05-17-2015, 06:59 PM
It's not just a feel.

Well, yeah. I was trying to be polite. I mean, Konami is right there in the corner of the room! He can hear us talking!

Wolf Kanno
05-17-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm kind of happy to see this coming to fruition. It has been awhile since we last had a good Metroidvania-style game and it's one of my favorite style of games. Here's hoping it turns out well.

Vyk
05-17-2015, 08:59 PM
They also learned from the Yooka-Laylee people and hyped it up a bit before it actually went live. Lots of interviews and stuff still going on as well

Depression Moon
05-17-2015, 09:34 PM
I think some big name industry people had to throw a lot of money at this as well because I don't think purely the hardcore fanbase was enough to reach it at the colossal level it's at now. Kojima, Miyamoto, and Ken Levine had to throw some ducketts at this.

I never played a Castlevania game before, but through to all the attention from this I decided to finally play one. I had no idea these were RPG games. Why aren't they ever brought up here when we talk about RPGs?

Mirage
05-17-2015, 10:19 PM
Are they really RPGs? I thought they just had so-called rpg elements. GTA has those too.

Depression Moon
05-17-2015, 10:28 PM

Ayen
05-17-2015, 10:36 PM
The first couple of games weren't RPGs. I could be wrong but I think the first Castlevania game to go the RPG route was Symphony of the Night. Or at least, the first one to be released to the states.

Mirage
05-17-2015, 10:49 PM
God of war is kind of an rpg too.

Vyk
05-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Well, sarcasm aside, I think it's arguably more of an RPG than something like Zelda, which is more of an RPG than God of War or GTA

starlet
06-11-2015, 04:32 AM
Bumping this because the campaign ends in 2 days! Granted, they're well, well, WELL over their goal, but the next stretch goal is a 3rd character.

FFNut
06-11-2015, 04:37 AM
Love that this is coming. Can't wait to try it!

Del Murder
06-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Yeah, this definitely looks like a winner. It's so great that crowdfunding has allowed games like these to happen.

starlet
06-12-2015, 11:31 PM
They passed the 5 million mark. Unbelievable :eek:

Formalhaut
06-12-2015, 11:38 PM
I've heard of Castlevania but I honestly can't say I know much about them. What are they about?

Depression Moon
06-13-2015, 03:01 AM
Killing dirty vamps.

Craziness. This thing made over 5,500 million dollars.