PDA

View Full Version : Konami's utter Implosion

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2015, 04:27 AM
So it's been an interesting past few months with Kojima apparently quitting Konami or being fired depending on who you ask. MGSV will now be the last Kojima directed MGS and Silent Hills has been canceled and the series will probably not see the light of day for awhile. Other franchises they've owned have slowly disappeared with the fads that brought them into fruition (Suikoden, DDR, Gradius/Nemesis) so it's not like we've got a new Castlevania or major new series to look forward to in the next few years after MGSV. Rumors are going on around fansites that Konami may end up dropping away from video games all together and focus more on their pachinko/gambling entertainment section of their business, because it is apparently much more profitable than their video game section.

So... should we call it?
R.I.P.
Konami (Video Game Division)
1978 - 2015

Thoughts?

Ayen
05-13-2015, 05:11 AM
Welp, death can happen when you put all your eggs in one basket and then dump the basket. They never should have relied on Kojima as a safety net so much, but hey, if pachinko is what they want to do and makes them money more power to them.

Vyk
05-13-2015, 06:45 AM
Still really glad Iga-san got out from under them and immediately went to Kickstarter lol I get the impression they've been holding him back, and focusing entirely on MGS too much. And it was always rumored that even Kojima was tired of MGS, so now he'll get to do whatever he wants. Still think him and Del Toro should also go to Kickstarter and make "the spiritual sequel" to this cancelled Silent Hill game

Sephex
05-13-2015, 07:08 AM
There isn't much to think about. Sometimes companies do what they think will make them more money. Konami just doesn't care about video games or their customers pertaining to video games anymore. I'll remember the good times and hope the franchises I like get picked up elsewhere or continued like the "Not Castlevania" kickstarter thingy.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Between the Silent Hills cancellation and the fake-out Metal Gear Rising 2 image, i'm totally bummed.

Saw this and got chills. I'm ready for Bloodstained:

Mirage
05-13-2015, 08:30 AM
Kojima productions is probably just going to go independent after mgs5 is released. I am sure he will not have any sort of problems getting funds for a new game. He might even get iga to join him, and at that point, who even needs Konami?

NeoCracker
05-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Here's hoping Suikodens rights get picked up.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2015, 06:16 PM
I doubt Konami will let go of their licenses, especially since they can still use them for pachinko machines.

Vermachtnis
05-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Kojima productions is probably just going to go independent after mgs5 is released. I am sure he will not have any sort of problems getting funds for a new game. He might even get iga to join him, and at that point, who even needs Konami?

It'd be nice if they're already working together on Bloodstained.

Bubba
05-13-2015, 09:33 PM
It will be a sad day indeed if this was the case. Konami were a massive part of my childhood, especially during the SNES era.

Axelay, Contra III, Turtles in Time, ISS, Prince of Persia, Legend of the Mystical Ninja... the list goes on and on.

Colonel Angus
05-15-2015, 01:04 AM
http://www.dailydot.com/geek/konami-ceo-mobile/?fb=gk

The link says it all.

Ayen
05-15-2015, 01:18 AM
http://www.dailydot.com/geek/konami-ceo-mobile/?fb=gk

The link says it all.

RIP

black orb
05-15-2015, 03:04 AM
>>> Is the Yugioh curse, they got it after ripping off YGO players for so many years..:luca:

Mirage
05-15-2015, 10:37 AM
I doubt Konami will let go of their licenses, especially since they can still use them for pachinko machines.
Doesn't matter. MGS kind of needs a reboot now anyway. It's getting way too convoluted. It's too bad about suikoden but I'm sure they could make a "spiritual successor" that doesn't actually mention the game but has loads of hidden connections to it.

Del Murder
05-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Konami has some good IPs so it sucks that they will now be sucked into the void or reduced to shadows of their former selves.

Vyk
05-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Something tells me they're like Nintendo and Square-Enix. They probably don't even care what us filthy westerners think of them anyway, and the Japanese probably still adore them, and adore mobile games, and will continue to buy their stuff and make them feel special even though they suck

black orb
05-16-2015, 01:14 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/marik.jpg

Ayen
05-16-2015, 01:18 AM
I have to admit, an online Yu-Gi-Oh game for mobile where you can play with other people while waiting on a bus would be pretty bawse.

I mean - cellphone games suck! I hate them!

black orb
05-16-2015, 01:31 AM
>>> "Yugioh" and "online" can only mean disaster..:luca:

Wolf Kanno
05-16-2015, 03:48 AM
Something tells me they're like Nintendo and Square-Enix. They probably don't even care what us filthy westerners think of them anyway, and the Japanese probably still adore them, and adore mobile games, and will continue to buy their stuff and make them feel special even though they suck

Funny enough, I think most Konami's major IPs, besides Gradius and Suikoden, did better in the West than in their home land. It's why Kojima traditionally released MGS in the West before Japan.

Mirage
05-16-2015, 01:58 PM
The west also has 10320948i29304832 times more customers too, so that's not strange.

Depression Moon
05-17-2015, 02:11 AM
I'm not sure what to say about this.

Wolf Kanno
05-17-2015, 03:32 AM
It's actually odd for a Japanese company to let their home country play second fiddle to new homegrown stuff.

My point is that MGS for instance, is a huge hit in the West, while it's not a big deal over there. So Kojima and Konami have often favored the U.S. and Europe when releasing content on the franchise as opposed to Japan. Most Japanese games are released domestically and then go through the process of being dubbed for international release but with MGS, it was the opposite, with the International release taking precedent. It just seems odd because very few Japanese game companies do this. Even Final Fantasy, despite being a better financial success abroad, still gets a domestic release first and then the international release a little later.