PDA

View Full Version : Do It Yourself

Bubba
05-14-2015, 09:47 AM
Are you any good at DIY? Are you proud of some of the stuff that you've made for your home.

I'm only decorating our house at the minute and the thought of putting shelves up has me in cold sweats. I'm scared I'll accidentally knock down one of the walls or something.

Share your DIY experiences here

Ayen
05-14-2015, 09:55 AM
No. No I am not.

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm not bad, though I'm rarely motivated to do so. I worked part time in a theater, building sets, so I am not completely useless with a hammer or drill. I've helped lay carpet a few times as well. Now if you need my help with your car engine, ask someone else as I'm pretty useless at that.

Shiny
05-14-2015, 06:47 PM
Absolutely not. I'm in to GMBTDI. Get my boyfriend to do it or my grandma because they know how to life. I got so stressed last time he built something that I took a nap. It was just too much sitting there looking at him prepare everything. So much work for me.

Kalevala
05-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Absolutely not. I don't even bother.

-N-
05-14-2015, 07:16 PM
We've primarily done DIY furniture; our apartment is very small and conventional furniture doesn't quite fit.

* a wooden bedframe
* a wood/carpet 7ft cat tree (seven years old, still used daily)
* a wooden chair (sucked) and a wooden stool (excellent)
* 8ft couch/sleeper (recently decommissioned)
* 3ft loveseat (formerly 4.5ft, chopped it down to fit a tighter space)
* corner wall mounted bookshelves
* cable cabinets for modem / router / webserver
* mood lighting to soften harsh white LEDs

My wife is the usual DIY instigator - she is even more of a cheapskate than me! She does the gardening work; like building garden beds, vertical gardens, etc.

For me the drive to do it comes from being a professional/practicing engineer. I am easily offended by mediocre products, and have the skills to do a perfect custom job myself, so why not?

sharkythesharkdogg
05-14-2015, 07:41 PM
I enjoy DIY projects.

I'm more skilled at the automotive side of things. (Our little business even sells aftermarket computers for cars that focus on the DIY aspect of the build.) I'm okay around a house.

escobert
05-14-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm not too shabby.

Pumpkin
05-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Depends what it is

I plan to turn my office closet in to this:

It'll be longer than it is deep like in the picture, but I would absolutely love that and I have directions and everything! Just need the funds

Aerith's Knight
05-14-2015, 09:58 PM
I don't do DIY 'projects', I just build and repair what needs to be done. Chair broken? Fixed. Couch broken? Fixed. No shelves? Put some up. Table too small? Make an extension.

The one thing I'm really proud of it a beerpong table I made.

All those things are beercaps of different beers, stuck to wood with a polymer resin, and on top a plexiglass plate. The edges are wooden fixings you would use on laminate floors.

Something lik 3600 caps, almost a fortune in fallout terms.

Also, the text on the blue is Big D, which is a nickname my friends gave me (for Big Dennis, I did not think of the other meaning while making it).

noxious.sunshine
05-15-2015, 05:37 AM
I want to get into DIY stuff.

I'm kind of struggling with how I want my space to even look... I have almost no eye for interior design (because I've only had the opportunity 1 time to decorate my apartment and I had my sister to help me with it.).

So now I'm on my own and an adult and I just have no clue.

Probably I'll wait until after we mmove back to Nashville to start getting into DIY projects tho.

I am good at assembling things tho

Bubba
05-15-2015, 08:17 AM
I am good at assembling things tho

Yeah, I'm pretty good at this too as long as the instructions are clear. We bought a really nice cot on eBay though which has no instructions with it. This will be my first test!

I Took the Red Pill
05-15-2015, 08:18 AM
I made a bong out of a Mt Dew bottle when I was 17 if that counts

zackk
05-15-2015, 12:51 PM
When I'm motivated I do DIY stuff. It's a lot more fun to do when with friends.

Slothy
05-15-2015, 02:30 PM
I can do diy stuff and usually will if it's something that needs to be done and isn't too far outside my skill set or existing tool supply so I can save money.

The only diy I really enjoy enough to go out of my way to do it is making/modifying drums and guitars. I find the latter funny because I still can't play worth a damn.

Shorty
05-16-2015, 04:34 AM
Is building/assembling shelves and furniture really considered DIY? Because hell yeah, I master that trout.

I'm looking into plans to put together a gorgeous tufted headboard for my bed shortly! Now that I have powertools in my household, I can do these things! :jess:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/94/9f/7e/949f7e92d3f250625b1cb49a960253b9.jpg

Will also be putting up shelving soon!

Shiny
05-16-2015, 03:52 PM
K, Shorty can you come over? I need you to assemble this coffee table while I cry in a corner.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-16-2015, 05:00 PM
I made a small CD shelf a while back. The "backboard" or whatever you want to call it wants to pop out a little bit, but you can't tell because it's against a wall.

In the future I'd like to make a bookshelf with the mini glass doors that slide down in front so you can look at them but keep most of the dust out.

Shorty
05-17-2015, 08:47 AM
K, Shorty can you come over? I need you to assemble this coffee table while I cry in a corner.

Heck yes I will come over and assemble your coffee table. I will not be conquered by furniture, nor will I allow furniture to conquer my friends!

it's not that I enjoy assembling furniture, I just tend to get competitive with the poorly written/sketched IKEA instructions and it becomes a battle of wills to the death

noxious.sunshine
05-17-2015, 05:29 PM

This.

Shauna
05-17-2015, 05:31 PM
it's not that I enjoy assembling furniture, I just tend to get competitive with the poorly written/sketched IKEA instructions and it becomes a battle of wills to the death

This is what drives myself and Matt to fallings out during home improvement. So much animosity.

DMKA
05-17-2015, 09:31 PM
I prefer to do stuff myself rather than pay someone else to do it if I can, but I haven't really done anything in the way of carpentry like building closets and shelves in a house etc.

But like, if I buy something that requires assembly (we purchased a rather large gazebo for our back yard a couple weeks ago, for example) I never pay someone else to put it together for me, I always do it myself. I never buy prebuilt computers, I always build my own. Every bike I ever purchased I assembled. And then, of course, if something breaks in the house, if I have the ability, I fix it myself, such as our garbage disposal that blew up a couple months back.

I actually find doing these things oddly entertaining.

escobert
05-17-2015, 10:08 PM

yes it does! I did this many times as well :)

Shiny
05-18-2015, 02:44 AM

Heck yes I will come over and assemble your coffee table. I will not be conquered by furniture, nor will I allow furniture to conquer my friends!

Sounds good, I have a giant bottle of wine to aid in this process.

Shorty
05-18-2015, 02:54 AM

This is what drives myself and Matt to fallings out during home improvement. So much animosity.

I'd like to speak to the jerks in charge of writing those instructions so that I can get them fired. It's like they don't actually want us to assemble their furniture! :argh:

black orb
05-18-2015, 04:44 PM
>>> Hell no, any of my attempts of a DIY end in a disaster..:luca:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/homer-bbq.jpg

MissH
05-21-2015, 06:25 PM
I was hoping this post was on masturbation. More pressing matters I guess.

Aerith's Knight
05-21-2015, 10:28 PM
I was hoping this post was on masturbation. More pressing matters I guess.

Why not both? Building your own masturbation chair.