PDA

View Full Version : SNES Poll

Pumpkin
05-15-2015, 03:15 AM
So the boyfriend recently pulled out the super nintendo, and I have never really played it before. I tried it here and there and I forgot that I played MKII on it, but it was for small amounts of time. Not including now, I've played it maybe total of 5 hours ever. I just started a few days ago with Illusion of Gaia. So since it will already be out, which of the options should I try after?

For Donkey Kong Country he has 1, 2, and 3. State your preference in thread if you vote for that one!
For Super Mario he has Super Mario Kart, Super Mario All-Stars, and Super Mario World. State your preference for that one too if you vote for it!

Wolf Kanno
05-15-2015, 03:17 AM
If you haven't played through the classic Mario games, I would say Mario All-Stars and then Super Mario World. Mario Kart's best incarnation will always be Mario Kart 64.

DK1 is a fun game though I am not as familiar with the rest of the franchise as I was moving away from platformers by that point.

Agent Proto
05-15-2015, 03:40 AM
I'll go with WK's suggestion as well and go with the Mario games in said order, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, and finally Super Mario Kart. All of the DKC games are incredibly fun, but DKC 2 is the best of the three. You could play the games in order, or go straight into DKC 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. Secret of Evermore might be more up your alley since it's a RPG, but it's very different than your usual RPGs that you like. You don't have to worry about the Mortal Kombat games, you can always play them at any time for a couple fights and get back to whatever game you are playing.

Colonel Angus
05-15-2015, 03:46 AM
DK1

Rez09
05-15-2015, 04:09 AM
All of the DKC games are incredibly fun, but DKC 2 is the best of the three. You could play the games in order, or go straight into DKC 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

DKC 2 has always been my favorite of the bunch too, and if you like platformers I'd say to give that one a try, especially if you have someone to play with since it has coop play. :D

Ayen
05-15-2015, 06:23 AM
MKII. Always go for MKII.

My second choice would be Super Mario All Star, though. That's the first game I've ever played on the Super Nintendo.

Bubba
05-15-2015, 10:50 AM
If you haven't played through the classic Mario games, I would say Mario All-Stars and then Super Mario World.

Absolutely. Every person needs to experience these games at least once. Pure, unadulterated fun and beautifully designed games.

Mario Kart's best incarnation will always be Mario Kart 64.

Never. The blue shell is the worst thing that ever happened to the franchise. Any game that punishes you for performing well is immediately labelled a bastard. Super Mario Kart is the purest driving game in the series.

Agreed that the original MK is not worth playing, especially when you have access to MK2. GIMME ALL THE BLOOD!!

Fynn
05-15-2015, 11:18 AM
I'm surprised you played MK, Pumpkin! :D

Go for Mario All-Stars. S'cool.

Ayen
05-15-2015, 11:20 AM

Agreed that the original MK is not worth playing, especially when you have access to MK2. GIMME ALL THE BLOOD!!

Yeah, and everybody says MK1 was better on Genesis, but the only thing they do different is have a password that enables the blood. If you don't know the password then it's just as bloodless as the SNES version.

Though I get the feeling that wouldn't be as big an issue for Pumpkin...

Pike
05-15-2015, 11:52 AM
If you haven't played through the classic Mario games, I would say Mario All-Stars and then Super Mario World. Mario Kart's best incarnation will always be Mario Kart 64.

WOW, I actually agree with something WK said about video games.

Definitely play through Super Mario All-Stars (you can skip Lost Levels if it's not to your liking), then move on to Super Mario World and then to the DKC games. DKC2 is easily the best in the series but DKC1 certainly isn't too shabby either.

Raistlin
05-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Mario, definitely. I actually prefer World of the series, but you should start with All-Stars to play the NES versions first.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-15-2015, 03:50 PM
My vote goes to the DKC series.

I can't really argue that it's a better platformer than Mario, obviously. Especially not Mario Bros. through Mario World, but I just love DKC.

Also, I kinda like Mario 2 more than Mario 3. I know, right?

escobert
05-15-2015, 05:09 PM
You need to play the Legend Of Zelda: A Link to The Past!

Pumpkin
05-15-2015, 05:10 PM

I do! But we don't have that one sadly

Skyblade
05-15-2015, 05:22 PM

Virtual Console!

Of the games on the list, I would go for Super Mario World. By FAR my favorite game in the series.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-15-2015, 06:35 PM

I had that one. :mad2: Don't know which roommate "permanently borrowed" it.

Double post! Deal with it! :cool:

I just remembered that the Mario series also had Yoshi's Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_World_2:_Yoshi%27s_Island), and you do love Yoshi.

Baby Mario could get annoying, but the chance to play as Yoshi might be a pretty strong factor.

Shauna
05-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Double post! Deal with it! :cool:

:cool:

sharkythesharkdogg
05-19-2015, 07:51 PM
http://cdn.duelinganalogs.com/comics/2008-02-21.jpg

Vermachtnis
05-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Donkey Kong Country 2, that game is great.

Mirage
05-19-2015, 11:30 PM
Donkey Kong Country 2 is the best platformer on the console. It also has music that rivals final fantasy games, and probably the best graphics ever produced by the console, except of course DKC3, but the two are pretty close.

escobert
05-20-2015, 04:43 AM

Argh! That happened to my Vagrant Story. Besides the MK games I haven't played any of the others on the poll!

Ayen
05-20-2015, 05:08 AM

So, you're saying the game was taken from you? Don't worry, I know a man who has a very particular set of skills.

Jowy
05-27-2015, 02:26 AM
If you're emulating Secret of Evermore, don't use the fast forward function; it causes the game to crash when switching screens.

Barrier + Enhance makes the end of the game a smurfing joke. Be sure to talk to Horace before you deal with Tiny otherwise you're smurfed on learning the formula.

No playing on or around the Sacred Dog statue.

Pumpkin
06-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Well I have started Super Mario All-Stars with sharky since I CAN'T BEAT ILLUSION OF GAIA FOR THE LIFE OF ME so I'm just playing them both instead of waiting :D

sharkythesharkdogg
06-05-2015, 09:57 PM
You have to actually remind me when I'm home, woman! I'm tired when I get home.

FFNut
06-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Mario if you've never experienced those great classics, then I'd maybe move to DC country. However Secret of Evermore is a great RPG. Who doesn't want a story about a boy and his faithful dog!