PDA

View Full Version : SEGA fans of the world unite!

Ayen
05-16-2015, 01:48 AM
I know I'm not the only SEGA fan on the forum. Free yourself from your shackles of oppression and embrace the thing you love! Talk about everything and anything SEGA related here. From their consoles, handhelds, and video games!

SEGA Genesis was my jam back in the day. I used to play Battletoads & Double Dragon, Street Fighter II, X-Men 2, Cyborg Justice, Mortal Kombat II, and Doom all the time. Other games I played included Sonic 3, Streets of Rage, Comix Zone, Road Rash 3, a couple of license games based off movies and TV shows, and some sports games. I have a bunch of SEGA games available to me now including the Sonic Genesis Collection and Dreamcast Collection. After the Genesis my brother also got a SEGA Saturn and SEGA Dreamcast. I got to play a little on the Saturn but I can't remember what all I played. Never got to play on the Dreamcast unfortunately. Only watched my brother played on it before he sold it.

Discuss!

Colonel Angus
05-16-2015, 01:50 AM
Gunstar Heroes

Sephex
05-16-2015, 04:22 AM
Gunstar Heroes

Yes. That game is magical. Killer soundtrack and gameplay that just feel so right. That stage where you roll dice and play a board game of death was so fun! I never owned it on cart, but thankfully it was put in the Wii Virtual Console, so I have had my fill since then!

For fighting games, I preferred the SNES versions, I loved all the Sonic games (original series), as well. The Shining Force games were fun, especially the second one. Did a let's play (screen shot type) of a bit of that one until my laptop started acting funny. Might continue it one day hopefully! What else? Oh, not too many people ever talk about the original Master System. Though I never owned one, I had a friend who did. Lots of great games on there. Looked better than the NES graphically, but finding a solid game was hard in those days.

Oh! Phantasy Star games! Phantasy Star IV is so damn cool. Anime-like comic panels for important scenes, fast turn based battles, and a cool story as well. If the Genesis had more RPGs like that one I would have probably played it more. Also, it would have helped if I could actually get a copy back then because the cart cost $100 out of the gate!

Colonel Angus
05-16-2015, 04:43 AM
I'm also a big fan of the dice stage. By far my favorite. The Jungle stage was also great, as you just had legions of enemies coming @ you from all sides.

Phantasy Star IV was great. The Macros from that game seemed to be sort of a forerunner to FFXII's gambits.

Sephex
05-16-2015, 05:09 AM
Yeah, that game was far ahead of its time. I'm glad that it is on those Sega compilation games for more modern consoles so people can enjoy it "officially" or whatever.

Pumpkin
05-16-2015, 05:29 AM
I played a SEGA console once in a doctor's office waiting room!

Ayen
05-16-2015, 05:34 AM
Oh, not too many people ever talk about the original Master System. Though I never owned one, I had a friend who did. Lots of great games on there. Looked better than the NES graphically, but finding a solid game was hard in those days.

I have Fantasy Zone for that. One of many requests I got on here way back. Tested it out a little to make sure it would work. I haven't explored the Master System's library too much. Or the Game Gear's for that matter.

Skyblade
05-16-2015, 06:06 AM
Gunstar Heroes was good.

Shining Force and Shining Force II were great.

Sonic 2 was fun.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was fun.

Sonic Spinball was fun.

...I know there were other great games...Right..?

The Genesis port of the brilliant arcade title Golden Axe was really good...

NHL 96 (I think? So hard to tell years with sports games) was one of the very few sports titles I actually enjoyed.

Yeah, that's about all I can think of.

Comix Zone and Cyborg Justice would have both made the list if they're weren't too annoyingly difficult to play. Great ideas, though.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-16-2015, 06:16 AM
I probably enjoyed my SNES more than my Genesis, but I did love my Genesis to death. I just didn't have very many games on either system, and I happened to own more good games on my SNES. The Genesis is a great little system.

I can say that I probably enjoyed my Game Gear way more than my Game Boy. Mostly what I had on the Game Boy was Pokemon related stuff, but I had a nice little library on my Game Gear with Sonic, a pretty awesome Donald Duck game, Columns, and some other stuff. Although, Turbografx-Express was my go to handheld system just because it blew my mind that I was playing the same cards for the home console on the handheld as well!

Ayen
05-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Comix Zone and Cyborg Justice would have both made the list if they're weren't too annoyingly difficult to play. Great ideas, though.

I played Cyborg Justice with my brother so that might have made it easier than it was. I could never get past the first stage on Comix Zone. I watched a longplay of it on YouTube and the guy there made it look so easy it was ridiculous.