PDA

View Full Version : A newbie introduces himself

Mr. Carnelian
05-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Hello! I'm new around here.

I've been browsing EoFF for just over a year, but I've only just got around to setting up a profile.

I was introduced to both this forum and the wonderful world of Final Fantasy by my boyfriend, Formalhaut, who I'm sure some of you already know.

I've only played Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns so far.

I love the XIII series. As to which is my favourite, I can't really pick between XIII-2 and LR.

Lightning is my favourite Final Fantasy character (that I've so far encountered, at least). I've had long discussions at home with Formalhaut about how her character development throughout the XIII series can be read as a commentary on Schopenhauer's ideas about the development of morality. I might get around to posting about that idea, at some point.

Other video game series to which I am addicted include Dragon Age, to which I have devoted far more hours of my life than is healthy. Also the Mass Effect series, and KOTOR, back in the pre-MMORPG days. I'm a bit of a Bioware fan.

I was a devotee of the Assassin's Creed series, but I lost interest after Assassin's Creed III. The same with the Halo series: I played Halo 4, and it was pretty good, but it didn't really grab me enough to want to invest further in that universe. AC 3 and Halo 3 both felt that natural ends to their respective franchises.

I also never tire of playing Bayonetta. I don't really have enough spare cash sloshing around to splash out on a Wii U at the moment, but when I do Bayonetta 2 will be my first purchase.

Congratulations if you read all of that. I can go on a bit, I know.

Shauna
05-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Welcome to EoFF! Glad to have you on board!

Formalhaut
05-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Like, oh God. You wouldn't believe the amount of deliberation he had in making his introduction post. Let me just give you a snippet of the conversation we had on Facebook:

"How do I introduce myself?"
"So, how do I start a new thread in Wonder Square?"
"How much have you talked about me?"
"Should I include that you're my boyfriend in my introduction, do you think?"
"Ah, I don't know how to begin! What should I call the thread?"
"Would you care to look over my proposed introduction post? I'll message it to you"
"Okay! Posting now, I'm calling the thread 'A newbie introduces himself'. How's that, you think?"

I'm actually impressed he put so much thought into one post. He so wanted to impress my 'forum friends'. How adorable!

Also, welcome, and all that. Though I think we're already intimately acquainted with one another.

Mr. Carnelian
05-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Good job making me sound neurotic and obsessive!
Minus 10 boyfriend points.
:p

Psychotic
05-17-2015, 03:47 PM
EIGHTH DOCTOR PAUL GOD DAMN MCGANN HELL YES

i mean hello and stuff but PAUL MCGANN

Formalhaut
05-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Good job making me sound neurotic and obsessive!
Minus 10 boyfriend points.
:p

It's Moogle Hugs, Sam. Moogle Hugs.

Also, what the hell is your signature?

Mirage
05-17-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm actually impressed he put so much thought into one post. He so wanted to impress my 'forum friends'. How adorable!
Impress? With those favourites? Hah!

Hello though

Mr. Carnelian
05-17-2015, 04:06 PM
I realise that the XIII series is somewhat controversial. They are my favourites, though, so far at least.

Mr. Carnelian
05-17-2015, 04:11 PM
What's a 'Moogle Hug'? Forgive my ignorance.

My signature is a painting by Nicolas Poussin, entitled A Dance to the Music of Time.

It's part of my general 'Time' theme: Eighth Doctor as avatar, A Dance to the Music of Time as my signature and my username 'Mr. Carnelian' is a reference to the character Jherek Carnelian from Michael Moorcock's The Dancers at the End of Time trilogy.

Carnelian is a denizen of the End of Time who falls in love with a time-traveller from Victorian England.

Formalhaut
05-17-2015, 04:20 PM
What's a 'Moogle Hug'? Forgive my ignorance.

What's a Moogle Hug (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NdrXbXRdwg)?! Surely you jest?

Basically, if you look at posts, you will notice a small star underneath it (next to the report post button). Press it, and you can give that post a hug. Basically, its a way to say that you found the post hilarious, engaging, thought-provoking... basically, that you liked it.

That post then gains a limit bar (reference to FFVII) and that bar fills with each moogle hug to that post. But really, just use it when you see something you like.

escobert
05-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Formalhaut

Who!? :p But seriously, welcome,have fun and post lots!

This is going to get confusing having two Sams, though. :erm:

Don't worry, you're still boobs forever and always!

Formalhaut
05-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Formalhaut

If it helps, one has boobs and one doesn't.

Mr. Carnelian
05-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Formalhaut

If it helps, one has boobs and one doesn't.

I'm the one who doesn't have boobs. Just in case it wasn't clear. :P

Shauna
05-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Have a wee read of this (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/160404-Beginner-s-Guide-to-EoFF) to see the basic forum functionalities. :)

Formalhaut
05-17-2015, 05:23 PM
Thanks Shauna. I was trying to look for that exact document myself :thumb:

Pumpkin
05-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Welcome! Hope you stick around and post lots and it's nice to meet you :jess:

Scotty_ffgamer
05-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Oh hello, new friend.

I think XIII is a rubbish game for the most part, but I love XIII-2 and enjoy LR quite a bit. Nothing wrong with enjoying the trilogy!

By the way, your ideas on comparing Lightning's development to the development of morality sounds super interesting. I've been sitting on an article idea for this site for a while now about how the XIII trilogy deals with fate and how the attitudes of the main characters regarding fate seem to shift between the three games. I think these games lend themselves well to doing some interesting analysis and interpretation, and it would make for some interesting discussion outside of the usual "These games suck" kind of threads.

Did you like all of the other FF games you played?

Kalevala
05-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Ooooh, a Moorcock fan. I'm in the middle of rereading the Elric saga. Welcome!

FFIX Choco Boy
05-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Kwehlcome! You haven't played FFIX yet, so I'm obligated to recommend it to you. Other than that, make yourself at home, and watch out for the chocobos; I've trained them to bite.

Ayen
05-17-2015, 11:05 PM
You're lucky my love for BioWare and Doctor Who outweighs my hatred for FFXIII

Hi, Sam! Welcome to the forums. How are you?

Scotty_ffgamer
05-18-2015, 01:44 AM
I've had a friend try to get me to read the Elric books for years, but I've never gotten around to doing it. Not sure where a good place to start is really. Any suggestions you'd give for books by Moorcock?

Mr. Carnelian
05-18-2015, 01:51 AM
I've had a friend try to get me to read the Elric books for years, but I've never gotten around to doing it. Not sure where a good place to start is really. Any suggestions you'd give for books by Moorcock?

I know I might come under fire from Moorcock fans, but my advice is to NOT read the Elric books. I love The Dancers at the End of Time trilogy, but nothing else of Moorcock's has really grabbed me. The Dancers at the End of Time are also some of the few Moorcock books not completely bogged down in continuity: you can read and understand them perfectly well without having read anything else by Moorcock, which isn't really the case with a lot of his work.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-18-2015, 01:59 AM
That sounds like exactly what I need to read from him. I think that was my issue when I tried in the past.

Mr. Carnelian
05-18-2015, 03:36 AM
Also, I'd avoid Moorcock's other End of Time stories (that aren't part of the Dancers trilogy).

With the exception of White Stars, they're just dire. Especially The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming, it's misogynistic rubbish. Bleh.

I'm not saying that Dancers are the only good Moorcock books, mind, far from it. I just think they're a good place to start.

Kalevala
05-18-2015, 03:47 AM
I know I might come under fire from Moorcock fans, but my advice is to NOT read the Elric books.

:stare:

Mr. Carnelian
05-18-2015, 04:26 AM
I know I might come under fire from Moorcock fans, but my advice is to NOT read the Elric books.

:stare:

Sorry! They're just not my cup of tea.

Bubba
05-18-2015, 02:35 PM
It's a pleasure to welcome Mr. Formy to our ranks :D

Already seen you post plenty, keep it up!

Freya
05-18-2015, 05:09 PM
To be honest I glossed over hte fact you were dating in your original post. And didn't notice anything until I saw Formy's post. I was like "wait what" and went back it's plainly there!

I was going to say, your non FF gaming opinions are echo of mine. Except Bayonetta, I haven't played that one. So nice gaming choices. Bioware is awesome!

Welcome to our forums!

Formalhaut
05-19-2015, 01:03 AM
Like so many couples right? Although we're not really a EoFF couple as we didn't *meet* on here, but eh. Close enough. ^^;

Bubba
05-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Nothing wrong with that. Me and MissH are the same!

The more the merrier :D

Ayen
05-19-2015, 07:55 AM
#foreveralone

Bubba
05-19-2015, 08:36 AM
#foreveralone

When 9000 posts I reach, look as good I will not.

You've got your EOFF family, ToriJ. We're all you need!