PDA

View Full Version : Musicals!

Crop
05-18-2015, 12:49 AM
There are so many fantastic musicals out there on film, and I've seen them all!

It's hard to pick a favourite (how couldn't it be with so many classic films to choose from - Annie, Seven Brides, Rocky Horror, Mary Poppins, West Side Story, Wizard of Oz etc.), but my favourite of them all would have to be 'Bugsy Malone', the classic movie with a cast made up entirely of kids. Great songs, great premise, and hilarious moments, it's got everything a musical needs!

What's your favourite musical and why?

Scotty_ffgamer
05-18-2015, 01:38 AM
Most of my experience with musicals was being in them in high school and then a couple of summers after that. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was probably the most enjoyable for me to perform in. Fiddler on the Roof was probably the highest quality one I was in (both of these were after I graduated high school). It's hard to pick between those two, but I'd say Fiddler is the better musical.

Beauty and the Beast was a ton of fun to perform in too, that being my first musical I'd been in. Music Man was awful to be in and I just can't enjoy that musical thanks to my terrible experiences.

As far as movie adaptations, I'd have to say my favorite is probably Les Miserables. I'd love to be in a version of that someday. Outside of that, I really prefer seeing my musicals live in a theater. It is my goal to see and/or be in a live production of Les Mis someday though.

Ayen
05-18-2015, 01:57 AM
Blue Brothers. With a few exceptions there's actually a reason why they're bursting out in song. Also one of the greatest movies ever made. Love the soundtrack.

Shorty
05-18-2015, 02:07 AM
Guys and Dolls. It was a huge part of my childhood, and also, Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando? Genius. Follow-ups would be Brigadoon, West Side Story, and Les Miserables.

blackmage_nuke
05-19-2015, 06:01 AM
I've been really into Starkid shows for a while now. They started out ameturish and unfocused but they really narrowed in on how to make a good succint story that tugs at your feels at the most unexpected moments. If you like musicals and havent seen anything by StarKid I highly recomend it. It's free and on youtube!

Starship has the best overall soundtrack. The human characters are a bit annoying though, if they had tweeked them a bit it could be my favourite one.

The Very Potter series really shows how theyve evolved over time. The first two were as I said ameturish and unfocused with way too much fluff but they both build up into an amazing third installment.

Ani is a bit different from the others but something about it speaks to me. The music isnt as memorable but it makes me see the Starwars Prequels in a new light.

Holy Musical Batman takes a while to grow on you. I thought the music was pretty average at first but later i realised that compositionally it's fine, but they choose to play everything using what I think is just an electric keyboard which doesnt fit very well. It also surprisingly mimics the Dark Knight Rises very well considering it came out before that.

Road to Oregon was pretty interesting, again it was something new and it didnt impact me with feels as much as the other plays but I still found the tunes catchy and had a laugh every now and then.

Twisted had way too many closeup shots but otherwise it was solid.

I have a hard time picking an actual favourite musical though. It probably wouldnt be a Starkid production.