PDA

View Full Version : Romance in gaming

Wolf Kanno
05-19-2015, 02:41 AM
Since it seems to me that the VG Industry loves reading over Hollywood's shoulder to get ideas and how to do storytelling, I'm curious to know what other people think about romance in video games? Do you have a favorite story? One you wish would die in a fire? Should it be used more or less?

Slothy
05-19-2015, 02:53 AM
My favourite romance, as far as romance plots that tie into player choice, in gaming is Skyrim's handling of it with the Hearthstone dlc. Get an amulet, wear it, tell someone you're interested in them and get married the next day. They then live in your house doing diddly squat besides providing some income by selling things (despite never leaving the house), cooking for you, and providing a slight experience buff if you sleep at home.

I can't help but wonder if it was intentional and Bethesda actually had the presence of mind to be completely transparent about how shallow and pointless romance sub plots tend to be. Then again, they actually gave more benefit for doing it than simply a PG-13 animated sex scene so romance in Skyrim is arguably less pointless than in most every other game ever.

Ayen
05-19-2015, 03:02 AM
I never really had a problem with them. When they're optional like in Mass Effect or Dragon Age they can be a lot of fun and a little something extra for the player to do. If they're mandatory like they are in Final Fantasy they still don't bother me all that much.

Skyblade
05-19-2015, 03:09 AM
Some of my favorite romances come from the Rune Factory and Harvest Moon games. Sure, the process of wooing/romancing your love interest is simplified down to "talk to them/give them gifts every day". But especially as the games have progressed, there is a lot of opportunity for some very strong character development.

Rune Factory 3 has one of my favorite romances. Because your wife will continue to develop as a character and have their own story even after they marry you, which is an incredibly rare touch.

Pumpkin
05-19-2015, 07:07 AM
I love romances! Especially dating sims. Thats not to say that regular romqnces arent good as well. I like Zidane and Garnet a lot for example. But its a lot of fun picking your own partner or seeing who you end up with based on choices you make

I would love to see more games like fire emblem awakening where you can match up several people and not just the main character

Forsaken Lover
05-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Everyone knows Fei/Elly are the besto, right Wolf?

Well I think they are, if we're counting games with love stories as the central theme.

Vermachtnis
05-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Some of my favorite romances come from the Rune Factory and Harvest Moon games. Sure, the process of wooing/romancing your love interest is simplified down to "talk to them/give them gifts every day". But especially as the games have progressed, there is a lot of opportunity for some very strong character development.

Rune Factory 3 has one of my favorite romances. Because your wife will continue to develop as a character and have their own story even after they marry you, which is an incredibly rare touch.

Daria from Rune Factory 3 was love at first sight or first "GOOD MORNING" for me. And yeah, Rune Factory 3 probably had one of the best romance storylines too. What with her being kidnapped by the final boss and you having to rescue her.

Karifean
05-19-2015, 09:34 AM
Can't say I've ever played a western game with a romance (sub)plot I cared about. Final Fantasy had some romances I got invested in, but the ones I really liked are from galge visual novels. My personal favorite is Tomoya x Tomoyo from CLANNAD.