PDA

View Full Version : Uh... So Splatoon?

Agent Proto
05-20-2015, 01:52 AM
I guess there isn't a thread for this game yet, so I'll go ahead and make one.

Anyone around here excited about Nintendo's newest game that's coming out later this month? It's a 4-on-4 online third-person shooter where you play as these squid kids commonly known as Inklings. There are two variations, a boy and a girl. I must be the only one super hyped about it, but I want to find out if there are any others on this forum. So, are there? Let's try to talk about Splatoon.

I can answer questions if anyone have any. I know plenty about the game to help anyone who is on the fence about this game.

Mirage
05-20-2015, 02:14 AM
i've heard of this. looked moderately interesting. not sure if it's enough to make me play a game where you aim with a controller stick, though

Agent Proto
05-20-2015, 02:18 AM
There are two ways to aim actually. One way is with the controller stick, and another was is half motion controlled, where you tilt the gamepad slightly to aim up and down and use the stick to aim left and right. It takes some time to get used to, but it's seemingly more accurate.

Sephex
05-20-2015, 03:29 AM
It looks interesting. I haven't really explored it or played that preview thingy, but I remember being impressed by the Nintendo Direct video they put out. I'll probably check it out sooner or later officially. Got other stuff on my gaming plate for now!

Scotty_ffgamer
05-20-2015, 03:55 AM
I'm super excited for this. I have some friends that played during that hour long test fire thing they did a few days ago, and I only heard positive things about it.

Agent Proto
05-20-2015, 04:01 AM
There's actually another round that will take place this Saturday. I don't know if I'll get to play it again then, but I have played two and half hours of the first round earlier this month. It was incredibly fun. I'm actually glad that you're just as excited as I am, Scotty! :D

Scotty_ffgamer
05-20-2015, 04:07 AM
I doubt I'll get to try out the game during these things, but I'm definitely picking it up when it comes out. If I can ever play my Wii U again, we should definitely play it together sometime, Proto.

I will say I've been excited since they first announced this game. It's looked super fun.

Shauna
05-20-2015, 08:28 AM
you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid

Dat Matt
05-20-2015, 10:27 PM
y90bDDLO094

Agent Proto
05-21-2015, 01:12 AM
One of the things that strongly appealed to me was the character designs. I really like them, and they make for great fan arts. :>

Just take a look.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/andyrobertson/files/2015/05/splatoon.jpg

And the cool thing is you can switch from boy to girl and reverse at any point.

Leigh
05-22-2015, 07:15 AM
For me; it would be fun and interesting to play if I was still 12-13 years of age, with friends, having a sleepover. I don't see the appeal of paint balling random online nobodies bullseye in the virtual face. Speaking as someone with no real-life close friends to play video games with, Splatoon would get boring after an hour or two.

The game looks good though if you have the means to play it and attention span to get your money's worth. :)

Skyblade
05-25-2015, 01:37 PM
For me; it would be fun and interesting to play if I was still 12-13 years of age, with friends, having a sleepover. I don't see the appeal of paint balling random online nobodies bullseye in the virtual face. Speaking as someone with no real-life close friends to play video games with, Splatoon would get boring after an hour or two.

The game looks good though if you have the means to play it and attention span to get your money's worth. :)

In terms of "attention span", this game is actually more engaging than almost any other online shooter I've played.

The constant mechanic of spreading paint means that there's never any down time in a match, and it also means that you have to know when to press the attack, and when to focus on spreading paint and expanding territory.

I'm mostly looking forward to it for the single player, though.

starlet
05-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Nico was telling me about this. I missed the test but I'll definitely try it when it comes out! I'm not too keen on shooters but this looks really easy to pick up and play.

Agent Proto
05-25-2015, 07:07 PM

In terms of "attention span", this game is actually more engaging than almost any other online shooter I've played.

The constant mechanic of spreading paint means that there's never any down time in a match, and it also means that you have to know when to press the attack, and when to focus on spreading paint and expanding territory.

I'm mostly looking forward to it for the single player, though.

Yeah, it's not just trying to "splat" others to win, but in the Turf Wars, your team needs to claim the most turf in their color, and it gets really hectic fast. One second your team could be in the lead, the next the other team takes the lead. It's not just your regular shooter. If you're not good taking out others, you can help by claiming turf for your team.

Sephex
05-27-2015, 04:21 AM
A dude on YouTube I follow (The Completionist) is going to review it this coming Friday. I feel he has a good head on his shoulders and doesn't rely on being overly negative for the sake of the "angry guy online" novelty or as an easy way to make his show more comedic. Anyway, I'm getting more hyped for it as each day passes by, but I agree with the dude a lot, so I'm going to see what he has to say about it.

Skyblade
05-27-2015, 04:23 AM
A dude on YouTube I follow (The Completionist) is going to review it this coming Friday. I feel he has a good head on his shoulders and doesn't rely on being overly negative for the sake of the "angry guy online" novelty or as an easy way to make his show more comedic. Anyway, I'm getting more hyped for it as each day passes by, but I agree with the dude a lot, so I'm going to see what he has to say about it.

The Completionist is good, but overall, I find ProJared to be a better reviewer.

The two of them played the game together at a press event before the test fire, so I'm pretty sure they'll both have reviews up.

Sephex
05-27-2015, 04:45 AM

The Completionist is good, but overall, I find ProJared to be a better reviewer.

The two of them played the game together at a press event before the test fire, so I'm pretty sure they'll both have reviews up.

Oh yeah, I'll be checking out ProJared's review too. Another guy I like and respect a lot.

Agent Proto
05-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Here's a video that explains a different view on Splatoon explaining how it's a MOBA

V_ilZcB95Mw

Depression Moon
05-28-2015, 02:13 AM
I watched two reviews on this today and it looks like the game is lacking in content. No voice chat, only 5 multiplayer maps, only two match types, and the single player is about 4 hours long. I didn't have money to spend on this anyway, but the best decision seems to be to wait for the extra content to be released for it that Nintendo says will be free.

Agent Proto
05-28-2015, 03:28 AM
There's a valid reason for the lack of voice chat. The matches only last 3 minutes, and that's obviously not long enough to establish proper planning via voice chat, and that the directer opted to go without it due to past experiences with voice chat. You can't blame him, and this will be a kid friendly game, and the last thing their parents would want for them from this game are strangers cursing at them for screwing up in a friendly game. There is a a lack of content, but they will be added. If you had watched the Nintendo Direct earlier this month, they explained near the end that by August, there will be an option for you and your friends to play together, since that has been one of the things that worried people from the start.

Vermachtnis
05-28-2015, 03:36 AM
I haven't been this hyped for a new game in a while. It looks really cute and fun.

I love the lack of voice chat. Everytime I'm playing a game with voice chat and I see someone with an icon I look for the mute button. And if Splatoon is really a MOBA, than all the better for a lack of voice chat. People who play MOBAs are assholes.

Sephex
05-28-2015, 04:06 AM
There's a valid reason for the lack of voice chat. The matches only last 3 minutes, and that's obviously not long enough to establish proper planning via voice chat, and that the directer opted to go without it due to past experiences with voice chat. You can't blame him, and this will be a kid friendly game, and the last thing their parents would want for them from this game are strangers cursing at them for screwing up in a friendly game. There is a a lack of content, but they will be added. If you had watched the Nintendo Direct earlier this month, they explained near the end that by August, there will be an option for you and your friends to play together, since that has been one of the things that worried people from the start.

Agreed on the voice chat part. Don't really need to hear people telling me that they had sex with my mom and calling me the 'N' word 500 times every 10 seconds.

Wait, why don't people taking gaming seriously again? Oh...

Depression Moon
05-28-2015, 04:41 AM
Getting rid of an issue because of a few bad people isn't how to solve it and it takes away from those who could benefit from it most. Just mute the problematic people and keep the ones who are fine or are your friends.

Skyblade
05-28-2015, 05:08 AM
Getting rid of an issue because of a few bad people isn't how to solve it and it takes away from those who could benefit from it most. Just mute the problematic people and keep the ones who are fine or are your friends.

This still means letting the problematic people loose long enough to determine that they are problematic people, which is long enough to ruin the game's kid-friendly status.

However, I do think that voice chat should be an option in Friends-Only matches, once those are implemented.

I watched two reviews on this today and it looks like the game is lacking in content. No voice chat, only 5 multiplayer maps, only two match types, and the single player is about 4 hours long. I didn't have money to spend on this anyway, but the best decision seems to be to wait for the extra content to be released for it that Nintendo says will be free.

That does overlook several things I've heard. First, that the hunt for collectables will add several more hours to the campaign (and the amiibo challenges add several more). Second, I haven't seen a single reviewer complain about the lack of maps. They note the lack of maps, yes, but they don't complain about them, saying that the gameplay itself is varied and diverse enough to keep the experience fresh even on the same maps continuously.

Sephex
05-28-2015, 05:26 AM

It solves it for me. But then again I think online multilayer is very overrated, boring, and feels more like a job. Been waiting for something different and more simplistic like this.

Agent Proto
05-28-2015, 05:55 AM
I'm not a huge fan of voice chat in games, myself. I've used it a few times myself, mainly with players I've known long enough to get along with (like with the LoTRO game which uses Voice chat for friends), but I think Splatoon will do just fine without it. Besides, if you really want to use voice chat while playing, just set up Skype. It can't be that difficult to do.

Agent Proto
06-01-2015, 07:02 PM
So, double posting since no one has posted again so far.

Has anyone got this game yet? I have and I've been having a blast. I got to play with Loco and nico (though not together) on occasions. I really like how the Splatoon community has become, filled with Squidward memes and such. Haha, it's insane.

Skyblade
06-01-2015, 08:42 PM
I've gotten it, but my May semester class has prevented me from playing it yet. Just a few more days...

Vermachtnis
06-06-2015, 07:23 AM
The final story boss was so good. It was a stage all by itself and he kept pulling out new tricks while using everything you learned in the game against him. And the music was so good. It was everything a final battle should be.

Skyblade
06-06-2015, 01:04 PM
The final story boss was so good. It was a stage all by itself and he kept pulling out new tricks while using everything you learned in the game against him. And the music was so good. It was everything a final battle should be.

Hardest part of the game by far. But incredibly awesome. I was not expecting that.

I'm not looking forward to doing that with the roller and charger, or on a time limit. Stupid amiibo challenges.

Skyblade
07-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Apologies for the sequential post.

I have to say, as great as this game is, it has one crippling flaw that has rendered the multiplayer basically unplayable:

Matchmaking.

Put simply, this game doesn't have any matchmaking at all. It pulls eight random people together and throws them into battle. There is no balance whatsoever.

What's worse, there's no level balancing. I'm a level 7 player, because I don't get a lot of time to play multiplayer, and I'm thrown in with a group of all level 20s. Who have played much more of the game than I have, and have a lot more experience with their weapons. To a brand new player, this would be an absolute brick wall.

I've completely given up on this game's multiplayer until the ability to join up with Friends and have set matches is added in. Because Splatoon's matchmaking right now is the worst, by far, of any online game I've ever played.

Jinx
07-05-2015, 06:04 PM
I think the fact that you can't play with friends who are actually in the room with you is incredibly, incredibly stupid.

Agent Proto
07-06-2015, 03:27 PM
You can still play with friends, but when you join a game they are in, it will still be randomized. And it's really not a problem, at least to me. It's a slight issue with some people, and some make it a big deal. Skyblade, get up to at least level 10 so you can try out the Ranked Battles before completely giving up on the multiplayer.

Jinx
07-06-2015, 03:31 PM
It's a big deal if you buy a party game and you can't really play it how you'd like as a party. You should be able to play the same game together, on the same system, in the same room.

To be fair, all it takes is a little research into a product before you buy it. But that's a completely stupid feature.

Agent Proto
07-06-2015, 03:35 PM
It will be a thing in a few months, maybe by August. In ranked battles, your ranks are graded and you will be grouped with similarly ranked players.

Jinx
07-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Oh, that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about how you can only play with other people if you play online. The whole point of a party game is to play with people in the room with you.

I think it's a nice feature to be able to play online as well, but it's really dumb you can't play with the friends sitting next to you.

Agent Proto
07-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Yeah. There's a two player mode called Battle Dojo. It's offline and just two players going one on one for points.

Mirage
07-06-2015, 03:54 PM
You should definitely be able to make your own team. With only high level people in the team, you should be matched with teams that have high level people too, right?

NeoCracker
07-10-2015, 01:12 AM
Well this is nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQh2OIYLkrw&index=4&list=UUxNcCtPqqGIMEDwDACPVoHg