PDA

View Full Version : Reaffirming That Metal Gear Solid Is The Best Game Ever

Forsaken Lover
05-20-2015, 06:35 AM
TzG8Sty9veI

In all my years of being super active in the MGS community and a firm supporter of MGS1 as the best game in the franchise, I never knew this was a thing.

Hideo Kojima is a true genius, visionary and...uh, a critic of the poor getting ahold of video games apparently.

I think it's Mei Ling just repeating the words "Mono TV..." in a thoroughly astounded voice that does it. She never fathomed such depths of poverty existed where people still used these kinds of ancient relics that she's only read of in obscure history books.

Then again, Colonel's "don't worry, you're still cool to me" was equally hilarious in just how insulting it was.

Ayen
05-20-2015, 06:39 AM
OMG that was great! I love the Easter Eggs in this game. I remember I used to spend all my time just taking pictures of ghosts in the Nuclear Warhead base.

Sephex
05-20-2015, 06:52 AM
Because of this game, if I see a security camera out in public I'll occasionally say, "A SURVEILLANCE CAMERA?!"

I laughed so hard when that was one of the flashbacks in MGS4 by the way.

Bubba
05-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Because of this game, if I see a security camera out in public I'll occasionally say, "A SURVEILLANCE CAMERA?!"

Whenever I see Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films I always have the urge to go "Snape... SNAAAAAPPEE!!"

I'm just playing through this again now funnily enough. So many amazing moments that I'd never seen in video games before. I'm just at the torture scene which I hate as I always seem to have to repeat it about four times. Some tasty bits coming up after that though :D

Pike
05-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Ahahahahaha omg listen to Mei Ling

this is fricking amazing

also that music brought me way back

damn MGS is such a good game

Pete for President
05-20-2015, 12:16 PM
That's genius.

Whenever either my buddy or me come in with a box one of us will say: "Huh? Just a box?" in MGS1 guard accent.

I Took the Red Pill
05-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Yeah, some of the fourth-wall breaking elements of this game were just spectacular. I remember wandering around for like an hour looking for Meryl's codec when I was told it was "on the box". I thought it was written on a box within the game. When I was realized what was up, I wasn't even mad, I was just impressed.

Psychotic
05-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Just wonderful little details like calling Mei Ling while in the woman's bathroom means she calls you a pervert or murdering a bunch of ravens on the elevator down to see Vulcan Raven earns you a telling off from the Codec team and the man himself will be really angry with you shows the love and care that the game was made with.

EDIT: http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_secrets

Just shit like this

If Snake is discovered by sentries in the first area of the game, another cutscene will be activated if Snake goes through the second floor ventilation shaft where two guards talk about "another" intruder.

blows my mind.

Mirage
05-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Yeah, some of the fourth-wall breaking elements of this game were just spectacular. I remember wandering around for like an hour looking for Meryl's codec when I was told it was "on the box". I thought it was written on a box within the game. When I was realized what was up, I wasn't even mad, I was just impressed.

Thank god I wasn't the only one who did this

Old Manus
05-20-2015, 04:51 PM
>screwing up escaping from the cell over and over again so the ninja turns up and busts you out

Ayen
05-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Just wonderful little details like calling Mei Ling while in the woman's bathroom means she calls you a pervert or murdering a bunch of ravens on the elevator down to see Vulcan Raven earns you a telling off from the Codec team and the man himself will be really angry with you shows the love and care that the game was made with.

They tell you off if you kill the rats in the area where you fight Sniper's Wolf, too.

Made me feel bad.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-21-2015, 05:15 AM
I love literally every detail about this game. To me, it is pretty nearly the perfect video game. I used to play through the entire game daily when I was a kid. I never knew the mono thing though; that's pretty fantastic. "I guess there's more to being a good person than having a stereo tv" haha!

I still remember being legitimately a little scared when Psycho Mantis started moving my controller back then. I loved how there were all these easter eggs or even different ways to do certain things to make it a different experience every time almost (like the different ways to get out of the cell). I also have to say that my favorite parts of Metal Gear Solid 4 had to be it's callbacks back to this game. "We have to change discs Snake. Wait, this is a Blu Ray disc!"

Big D
05-21-2015, 08:51 AM
This game came out *last century*, and I've played it repeatedly since 2000 or so, yet it still keeps bringing up easter eggs like this which are entirely new to me. Smashing stuff.

I can't wait to see what The Phantom Pain will have to offer, though I'd imagine there'll be a lot less light-hearted or silly stuff this time.