PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me of The Elder Scrolls Games

Forsaken Lover
05-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Um, hello everyone. Some of you might know me as a guy who's been playing a lot of WRPG's lately. Since December I've played Dragon Age Origins and II, the Mass Effect Trilogy, Knights of the Old Republic I and II, Fallout 3 and New Vegas and most recently the Fable Trilogy.

I was thinking my next endeavor might be Elder Scrolls. Not starting with Skryim though, I was thinking of starting with the third game, Morrowind. I have some friends who stick by it as the best ES game by a lot.

I hope it's okay to inquire or discuss the other ES games in here? My main concern and what I'm here to inquire about is what kind of choices are there in the ES games? Are there any at all? The main reason I have become so addicted to WRPG's is the power of choice. Big or small, I love being able to do things my own way or at least having a few different options of doing things so it feels like I'm doing them my way.

Do the ES games have moral choices or branching storylines depending on your decisions?

Bolivar
05-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Not really. The only choices which effect your quest progression in Morrowind are which Great House you align yourself with and those quests are optional. And if you pick a House whose character stats do not mesh with the hero you created, you could be locked out of advancing within their ranks or doing their quests entirely, nor will the other Houses let you switch once you made a choice. The last three Elder Scrolls games have very few quests which involve moral choices and the endings are always the same iirc.

TES is more about creating a character, and immersing yourself in a world to build that characters legacy. There's all kinds of quests out there and different characters and play styles will naturally seek out different quests. I had a mage in Skyrim who pursued knowledge at all costs, even if it meant helping the Daedric pantheon in their devious plots against eachother. I completed the Thieves guild quest line in Oblivion, then went on a pilgrimage to atone for a life of crime, eventually restoring the religious order of the Knights of the Nine. My current argonian fighter mostly goes around remote settlements, helping those in need.

You might want to read ToriJ's review on Morrowind to get an idea on how someone playing it for the first time in 2015 might feel. Nearly every aspect of the game design hinders it from being an enjoyable or rewarding experience. But you're a Xenogears fan, so if you can get past that, there is a really fascinating story and setting back there, one of the most unique and intricately detailed fantasy world's in any medium. I say that honestly as someone who reads a lot of fantasy.

I would recommend Skyrim instead for a first timer though. If you get caught up in the lore, then go jump into Morrowind.

Forsaken Lover
05-21-2015, 06:23 PM
Well a poster elsewhere had this to say about Morrowind:
"Morrowind has the most freedom of choice. It is also the oldest and most clunky mechanically. There are no voiced conversations so its a lot of reading. You have branching choices in the Thieves, Mages, and Fighters Guild IIRC but it isn't obvious. If you do them a certain way, you can lock yourself out of joining or finishing other quests. You have 3 political factions you can choose between. You have 2 religions on the island to choose from (or both if that is your preference.) The main quest is pretty linear, but you can lock yourself out of it by killing essential characters and then you have to do the alternate way to end the game."

And I'm pretty sure in Skyrim you can choose to support either the Empire or the Stormcloaks, right? I post on a board where there was a whole topic debating the two choices.

Anyway, general agreement does seem to be what you say - that the true enjoyment of the games comes from exploration and immersion. I just want to be able to roleplay and I need to be able to make choices for that. Being railroaded takes you right out of the RP mindset in my case.

And given that Skyrim is supposed to have the best gameplay, while everyone says Morrowind is clunky and outdated, starting with Skyrim would serve only to make Morrowind even more unbearable, don't you think?

Bolivar
05-21-2015, 10:04 PM
No, because the combat, game design, even the player movement is so bad that you need something else to motivate you to keep playing. If you play older games a lot or have a high tolerance for clunky design, you might be okay, though.

As you might be able to tell from that list, those are only choices to the extent you can choose to do them or not at all. Most of the factions aren't mutually exclusive nor will joining them have any impact on the story, they're just who you go to see when you want more side quests. A lot of the nostalgia for Morrowind comes from the context added by the factions. Oblivion and Skyrim had less factions and instead distribute those quests across hundreds of NPCs scattered throughout the game world, with their own motivations and stories, some of whom will cross paths once you immerse yourself in a community.

I didn't progress too far in the fighters guild but I can't recall any branches. And while Skyrim's Storm Cloak Rebellion lets you pick a side, it's really just whether you want one series of sidequests or the other. It's not like choice in other WRPGs where a story evolves based on your decisions and ends with a large array of possible permutations.

I would say Morrowind had the least freedom of choice because many of its gameplay systems were not viable. And a lot of quests require you to do things a very specific way, such that many people have to load an earlier save or actually enter commands in the in-game console because they broke the quest. Thats the opposite of choice to me.

Conversely, Oblivion introduced puzzles and traps to the dungeons which you can use against enemies if you're clever enough. The level scaling enhanced the freedom of exploration by allowing you to wander any region or storyline you want (although you will need to use the difficulty slider to recalibrate Oblivion from time to time). The newer games just have a lot more viable character builds and unconventional quests. The game engine was very restricted in Morrowind, so there was only so much you could do. Oblivion and Skyrim had much more nuanced game design, which allowed them to create quests which very consciously play with CRPG tropes, some of which poke fun at Morrowind.

Morrowind is the most interesting world but the successors are much better games. It all comes down to what you're looking for.

Pike
05-22-2015, 12:45 AM
I've seen some people have trouble getting into Morrowind but I have to admit I never saw it; as someone who didn't really play it until just a few years back I had no problems whatsoever with it. Admittedly the combat system isn't particularly fantastic but the awkwardness goes away after earning a couple of levels. It's dice-based, much like, say, KotOR, anyway.

Graphics-wise just toss in a couple of mods from Morrowind Overhaul (http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/) (for example) and it becomes a gorgeous game; almost as gorgeous as Skyrim and (IMO) several miles above the weird uncanny valley potato faces of Oblivion.

http://i.imgur.com/FTEz3Pr.png

http://i.imgur.com/MAgFU45.png

http://i.imgur.com/vhuNwfs.png

Really I feel like any of the three games are good for starting your adventure into the Elder Scrolls; Morrowind and Skyrim are my personal favorites but Oblivion has its moments.

If you are going in looking for a Bioware experience you will be disappointed; TES is about making a character, roleplaying, and living in an open world. The world reacts to you in a sense that you can kill anyone you want, for example, but not in a Bioware-esque fashion. If anything TES is the Minecraft of WRPGs, what it does is give you a sandbox world with some very, very deep lore and then gives you free rein to, say, spend hours being a fisherman in Seyda Neen or dicking around with one of the guilds or Great Houses. Of all the games, Morrowind lets you accomplish this the best and is easily the most sandboxy of the modern TES games; if you're looking for a more traditional "grounding" like other WRPGs you're probably better off playing one of the later games.

Lore and story-wise Morrowind leaps over the heads of the other two games which makes it brilliant for roleplay and digging into a character, but as I said, if you're looking for a more traditional experience start with one of the other two games.

Anyways this is my favorite game series and I know a lot about these games so let me know if you have any questions :)

Madame Adequate
05-22-2015, 01:10 AM
Bolivar could not be more wrong. One of Morrowind's greatest strengths is the immense diversity in viable characters and the different ways you can get things done. You can criticize the game on several fronts, but the criticisms he's latched onto are quite literally (accurately using "literally") as incorrect as it is possible to be without, I dunno, claiming it's a game where you race Yoshis around or something. (Would play btw)

Say you need to kill someone. You could walk up to him and crack his skull. Or you could sneak up behind him and knife him in the back. Or you could blast him with a spell. So far so generic, right? Wrong. Each of those broad decisions can itself split into a variety of different methods.

Upfront Violence

You can go buy a suit of armor and use a regular old warhammer
Or you could summon a warhammer from another dimension
And armor yourself with a different school of magic entirely
You could buff yourself with alchemy first
Or use restoration magic to add to your health and strength instead
If they're somewhere populated maybe you can taunt him into attacking first, so you don't get into trouble

Stealth

Get up close, or shoot him from afar?
How are you opening locked doors? Knowledge of lockpicking?
A spell used to open locks?
Or maybe you'll pickpocket the key from someone else first
Stealth can come from the sneak skill
But also from casting one of two different kinds of invisibility on yourself
Both of which can come from casting as a spell as normal, alchemy, or from enchanting items to provide those effects
If you want to steal something you could also use telekinesis to take it from far away
Got into trouble? Get out of it with an athletic and acrobatic build.
Or instead charm your way out with calming magic.
Or teleport yourself away from the scene of the crime before anyone can react

Magic

Loads of different kinds of magic to use
Elemental spells, sure, but also poison, drinking health for yourself
Or draining fatigue leaving them helpless
Summon all kinds of equipment for yourself to use
Or create powerful enchantments that turn mundane items into legends
Why not summon the undead or demons to fight for you? Never lift a finger.
Make yourself resistant to, or immune to, different kinds of damage
Use it to teleport around the world for convenience
Or buff your speechcraft so you can travel very cheaply

That's not an exhaustive list. Moreover you'll notice there's a lot of crossover, which is exactly the point - you don't just choose what to do and that's that, you choose how to do it, and you can hybridize things in pretty much any way you can imagine. I'm honestly struggling to think of a build that wouldn't be more-or-less viable, though some are obviously more complimentary than others. Yes, the objectives themselves are often relatively straightforward and yes, there's not as much diversity in quest outcomes as some other games like BG2 or PS:T or something, but those were never what the games were about. They were about immersing your character, and by proxy yourself, in a grand world, and Morrowind does this like nothing else.

Bolivar's points are like criticizing Kerbal Space Program because the only real objective is "go to space". Well, yeah, but that's simplifying the vast array of options in how to achieve that. Same deal here. The gameplay is a bit janky compared to modern stuff, but it's still one of the best experiences gaming has ever given us.

None of this, of course, makes any mention of mods and modding. There are new factions, new landmasses, mods that let you side with Dagoth Ur instead of the Tribunal, any changes to gameplay from minor tweaks to radical overhauls, tremendous graphical upgrades, as Pike posted, etc. etc. etc.

Bolivar
05-22-2015, 04:33 AM
MILF, I know you're very dismissive of other people's opinions (especially mine) but you might want to check your definition of "literally," especially when used on opinions. A proper use would be how, literally, everything you just listed is included in the later games, which expand on it with the advanced physics engines, enemy AI, and dungeon design, all of which were elements Bethesda sought to improve upon after Morrowind. You can also google for yourself how unviable Stealth is. That's 1/3 of the skill tree rendered irrelevant by the game engine.

You claim I "could not be more wrong" but failed to address any of the other widely-criticized aspects of Morrowind. I think that more or less speaks for itself.

Also, if we're gonna talk about mods, the conversation changes entirely. Morrowind's engine limitations are perhaps at their worst here, since its simple geometry and flat landscapes automatically limit how far mods can take the game. You can't even compare it to what has been done with the later games:

Forsaken Lover
05-22-2015, 05:22 AM
I dunno if i really want to get into the modding scene yet except for maybe graphics.

I mean, the modded game is not the game when you get right down to it. I've played mods for other games and Final Fantasy VII New Threat is not Final Fantasy VII. I cannot say how I feel about FFVII based on that mod.

Same for these games. I can't say how I feel about them when taking into account fan-added content. It be like reviewing A Song of Ice and Fire while taking into account some Danfy fanfiction I read.

Pike
05-22-2015, 10:19 AM
Well, for what it's worth, I have ~120 Morrowind mods and plugins installed (last I checked) and the gameplay/story is not substantially changed at all. Morrowind has an incredibly robust modding scene and a lot of these are just quality of life changes or similar very small things that add up to make an amazing experience :)

I envy anyone who has the opportunity to play through Morrowind for the first time; I wish I could reverse time and do that again. Best gaming experience I've ever had.

Loony BoB
05-22-2015, 11:03 AM
I favour Skyrim of the ones I've played, with Morrowind next, and then Oblivion. The biggest problem I had with Oblivion is that it was extremely repetitive after a while. The landscape rarely changed at all compared to the very interesting and varying places you can go to in Morrowind, or the incredibly nice if more subtle variations found within Skyrim.

All games are worth playing, though. I've not played the earlier TES games (Daggerfall or whatever?).

Bolivar
05-22-2015, 04:13 PM
I dunno if i really want to get into the modding scene yet except for maybe graphics.

I mean, the modded game is not the game when you get right down to it. I've played mods for other games and Final Fantasy VII New Threat is not Final Fantasy VII. I cannot say how I feel about FFVII based on that mod.

Same for these games. I can't say how I feel about them when taking into account fan-added content. It be like reviewing A Song of Ice and Fire while taking into account some Danfy fanfiction I read.

The modding community is very cognizant of that and distinguishes mods based on whether they're "lore-friendly," in terms of the creative direction of the development team. Many of the definitive modding guides will designate whether a mod is lore-friendly or not.

The visual options are astounding and go beyond just graphical fidelity, such as making the menus more intuitive and user-friendly for PC, changing the scaling and positioning of the HUD, using different fonts and making the world map more aesthetically pleasing.

Even if you don't plan on modding you should at a bare minimum install the unofficial patches, as there are still countless bugs that Bethesda has left in the games.

Madame Adequate
05-22-2015, 04:52 PM
MILF, I know you're very dismissive of other people's opinions (especially mine) but you might want to check your definition of "literally," especially when used on opinions. A proper use would be how, literally, everything you just listed is included in the later games, which expand on it with the advanced physics engines, enemy AI, and dungeon design, all of which were elements Bethesda sought to improve upon after Morrowind. You can also google for yourself how unviable Stealth is. That's 1/3 of the skill tree rendered irrelevant by the game engine.

Uh trout I better get some patches or something because my last character was Full Stealth and she did just fine so the game must be broken badly. And yeah the later games made improvements in physics and grafix and stuff, so what? I've not said anything in this thread about either of them, I was just responding to your ridiculous assertions that Morrowind doesn't give you much choice in how to build a character or whatever. You can claim it's your opinion all you want, but there's a whole lot of ways to build characters and people find just about every single build somewhere between viable and enjoyable. You could choose your ten skills completely at random and almost certainly end up with something that would work. So it doesn't really matter that this is your opinion because you are, literally, objectively wrong about it.

You claim I "could not be more wrong" but failed to address any of the other widely-criticized aspects of Morrowind. I think that more or less speaks for itself.

I didn't talk about any of the other criticized aspects of Morrowind because you either didn't talk about them (The inability to side with House Dagoth without mods, for example, is one I would highlight as a major shortcoming, as is the lack of involvement of Houses Dres and Indoril in most of the plot) or because well, yeah, a game released in 2002 is going to have some technical shortcomings next to a game released in 2011, nobody is claiming otherwise and nobody ever claimed Morrowind's greatest strength was in the technical sphere, even on release day.

That all said you're 100% correct about modding, as is Pike, and I would strongly urge you, Forsaken Lover, to look at at least some mods for QoL improvements, bug fixes, and suchlike.

Bolivar
05-22-2015, 06:59 PM
The scariest part about your post is that someone might actually believe you're serious and build a random character like you suggested, only to find out just how broken Morrowind really is. Every character creation guide on the internet cautions players against thoughtless character builds and acknowledge how some skills are unviable at the beginning, others fail to scale into the late game, and quite a few are outright useless.

Here's one:http://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_III:_Morrowind/Character_creation

Here's another: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Classes

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of viable build options, there just aren't as many as the later games.

I mention physics because it takes some of the gameplay options to a level of choice and freedom which Morrowind never could. Stealth is more fun when you can leap between the rafters, stalking unsuspecting prey until you crash down on them like Batman. Archery is better when you can kite enemies to walking across the trip wire between you, setting off a devastating trap. And swordfighters can either dance nimbly within and out of their opponent's range, never being hit, or use brute force to block and parry attacks. In Morrowind, you can build a character who can do those things statistically but ultimately, it's up to the game's random calculations to decide whether you're successful, not you.

Oblivion and Skyrim have such a higher level of creativity it's not even funny.

Ayen
05-23-2015, 02:26 AM

You'll change your mind as soon as the game decides to spam you with cliff racers. Don't know what a cliff racer is? -Scary Batman voice- You will.

I started the series with Skyrim and honestly liked that better than Morrowind. I haven't played Oblivion so I can't comment on that. I got mixed opinions on Morrowind, honestly. There are those like Pike who chopped my head off Ned Stark style for not playing the game right, and then fans who don't even recommend Morrowind because of all the time you spend running around in the mud to get any enjoyment out of it, and then people who say Oblivion is the one you want to start with. My brother played Oblivion and found it boring, but honestly, I think he prefers the JRPG/BioWare route of playing RPGs. I have similar preferences, so even though I enjoy Skyrim a lot it's not rated as highly as other RPGs I've played.

I haven't touched the MMO.

Forsaken Lover
05-23-2015, 03:44 AM
I've been inquiring about TES on all the forums I visit and a guy on TVTropes said something that seems to be very true. "There are no fans of the Elder Scrolls series, only an Elder Scrolls game." Basically, whichever one you start with, you will like the most. Morrowind fans generally seem to hate Oblivion and maybe only tolerate Skyrim and Skyrim fans hate Morrowind. I know my GF, a Skyrim addict, couldn't play more than ten minutes of Oblivion. And if you meet the exquisitely rare soul who LIKES Oblivion, it seems they don't like Morrowind.

Madame Adequate
05-23-2015, 05:16 AM
The scariest part about your post is that someone might actually believe you're serious and build a random character like you suggested, only to find out just how broken Morrowind really is. Every character creation guide on the internet cautions players against thoughtless character builds and acknowledge how some skills are unviable at the beginning, others fail to scale into the late game, and quite a few are outright useless.

Here's one:http://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_III:_Morrowind/Character_creation

Here's another: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Classes

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of viable build options, there just aren't as many as the later games.

I wouldn't advise people new to the game to just choose ten random skills, and if I gave that impression then I was wrong to do so. You do need some knowledge of how the game works to make use of a more... esoteric, shall we say, build. And admittedly if you are playing without one of a small number of mods that address the issues with how health increases as a function of endurance, there are certain things you need to keep in mind that I admit I was not keeping uppermost in my mind.

Even so, the reduction in the number and variety of skills (and then the elimination of stats entirely) has clearly harmed the ability to build a diverse character. Sometimes it's fine, there's no great less by merging Long and Short Blade for example, but the reduction in acrobatics and athletics and stuff, making all weapons either one handed or two handed, etc., all hurt. In this way I think Oblivion is actually less of a problem than Skyrim because the merges hadn't gone as far, but I've always felt more constrained after Morrowind.

I mention physics because it takes some of the gameplay options to a level of choice and freedom which Morrowind never could. Stealth is more fun when you can leap between the rafters, stalking unsuspecting prey until you crash down on them like Batman. Archery is better when you can kite enemies to walking across the trip wire between you, setting off a devastating trap. And swordfighters can either dance nimbly within and out of their opponent's range, never being hit, or use brute force to block and parry attacks. In Morrowind, you can build a character who can do those things statistically but ultimately, it's up to the game's random calculations to decide whether you're successful, not you.

Sooorrrrt of? I agree with the first part, there is no way whatsoever to argue with the claim that the introduction of proper physics made archery vastly better in Oblivion and Skyrim. It did, I concede the point, no argument or equivocation.

The second part is a lot more subjective and, yes, there are a lot of people who find the Morrowind roll-to-hit system to be annoying or unintuitive, but I'm not one of them and I know plenty of people who agree. You have a better skill in something, you can hit more reliably with it/cast spells more reliably/etc.. I don't mind roll-to-hit at all, perhaps because I'm used to that kind of game? For me I find it easier to believe that a big overhead warhammer swing missed than to believe it hit but did 1 HP in damage. It can miss and whiff, and I can allow the graphical shortcomings in that, but if it's all actiony like Skyrim for example, it's a lot harder for me to believe that a direct contact hit doesn't cave a skull in.

This is subjective gameplay stuff though. I think archery is better in the IV and V, but I don't think that means it isn't viable in III - better doesn't mean the previous one was bad. And I admit the combat isn't the height of refinement and precision even when you do grok it like I do, the later games would improve in that way, but I don't personally equate that (Archery excepted, as I said), with increasing your options. All the things you can do in Oblivion or Skyrim, you can do in Morrowind, often better, thanks to acrobatics and levitation and so on. You can still dance out of the way of attacks or wear heavy armor and have a big shield.

The thing is though that the gameplay is and has always been secondary with TES games. Even Skyrim, refined as the fighting all is, doesn't really measure up to a game like The Witcher or Dark Souls if you're looking for deep combat. None of the games are about the gameplay and if that's what someone is looking for, this just isn't the series. The games are about the world, the characters, the machinations of different factions, the religious cults, the different interpretations of the same events, the detail that shows in the robes worn by Tribunal Temple priests or the fact that someone managed to plausibly demonstrate where Tarhiel began his jump. That's why I rate Oblivion so much lower than Morrowind or Skyrim. Those games, especially the first, have ambiguity, they have depth to their worlds, the actions of various actors make sense or, where senseless, are senseless for good reasons. Oblivion just feels... hollow.

e; To add to that and follow up on what ToriJ said, you do admittedly have to approach the games in particular ways to get the most out of them. I wouldn't say Pike was particularly aggressive about it, but like all games, you meet it on the game's terms if you want to get the most out of it. That's not really something that makes it better or worse in itself, just a fact - you can't play Dark Souls as a hack-'n'-slash, and Tetris doesn't have a story mode.

e2; And to follow up on that there's nothing right or wrong with enjoying any particular aspect of games or looking for any particular thing in them, and I didn't intend to come across as attacking that, but I do strenuously object to the assertion that Morrowind doesn't offer choices in how you play!

Pike
05-23-2015, 10:18 AM
I've been inquiring about TES on all the forums I visit and a guy on TVTropes said something that seems to be very true. "There are no fans of the Elder Scrolls series, only an Elder Scrolls game." Basically, whichever one you start with, you will like the most. Morrowind fans generally seem to hate Oblivion and maybe only tolerate Skyrim and Skyrim fans hate Morrowind. I know my GF, a Skyrim addict, couldn't play more than ten minutes of Oblivion. And if you meet the exquisitely rare soul who LIKES Oblivion, it seems they don't like Morrowind.

Not accurate in my case, I did not start with Morrowind, but it is my favorite :p

And I am a fan of the series as a whole - including Arena and Daggerfall :D As I said in an earlier post it is my favorite series, the lore is unparalleled. Still waiting to get a hold of the side games (Redguard, Shadowkey, Battlespire et al) - it would be a lot easier if Bethesda actually re-released them.

Ayen
05-23-2015, 10:40 PM
I've been inquiring about TES on all the forums I visit and a guy on TVTropes said something that seems to be very true. "There are no fans of the Elder Scrolls series, only an Elder Scrolls game." Basically, whichever one you start with, you will like the most.

Well, if you want to generalize, you can say that about any game series, really.

Forsaken Lover
05-24-2015, 02:58 AM
Not really. I've never met a more divided RPG fanbase. Say what you want about FF and how someone somewhere will hate any of the games, but fans tend to like multiple games. For all those people who hate FFX, they love FFIV and V and VI and so-on.

The Fallout fans who hate 3 love FO1 and 2 and New Vegas.

TES? Oblivion fans are hard enough to even come by and I've met more than a few Morrowind fans who think Skyrim screwed everything up. Meanwhile Skyrim fans don't get the appeal of Morrowind at all.

Far as I can tell, each game is too radically different and appeals to you for different reasons. On the flipside, those things that might appeal to you piss off other people. The same things someone loves about Morrowind and despises Skyrim for not having will make another person praise Skyrim and hate Morrowind.

Pike
05-24-2015, 10:18 AM
I feel like you and I have somehow arrived at opposite sides of the fanbase; I spend a considerable amount of time in the TES community on other sites (and have for years) and most of us are fans of the series as a whole. I mean Oblivion is still kind of the odd one out but most people who liked Morrowind also liked Skyrim. It's actually kind of a running joke that Morrowind/Skyrim fans stick together while Oblivion fans go and do their own thing. :p

Truthfully I think most of us in that community spend 90% of our time talking about the lore, though, which encompasses all of the games. Like, no one's got time to sit around debating the game mechanics when you can talk about the red king once jungled and lefthanded elves and CHIM AE ALTADOON and all that.

Psychotic
05-24-2015, 11:52 AM
I love Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and Skyrim. What do I win? :shobon: I mean I do think the sequels are better in both instances - which is hardly groundbreaking in any game series - but the originals are still great games. I think Oblivion often gets unfairly bashed.

Ayen
05-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Does anyone ever talk about Arena or Daggerfall? I think Pike did a Let's Play of one of those a while back, but I never see anyone else talk about them.

They have fallen into the abyss!

Pike
05-24-2015, 11:22 PM
Oldschool PC gamers talk about Daggerfall a lot. I always kind of liked Arena a little more for some reason.

Laddy
05-27-2015, 01:09 AM
Daggerfall is loaded with filler and the randomization aspect killed my interest in the game.

I adore Morrowind to death. The combat can be a bit of a nuisance, but it's just a game of incredible lore-building, character advancement, and the story and world is probably the best in the series. Skyrim and Olbivion were a blast for me when I modded them though I had but minor interest in the vanilla versions of both games since it doesn't fit my preferred style on game.

escobert
05-27-2015, 05:31 AM
I'm an Oblivion fan! but only because I use Khajiit in TES and they can be as fast as a horse and jump like no other. Also they can see in the dark. Oh and they're big kitties!

But yes, I love Oblivion. I enjoy the lush green forests and you can go up north and play in the snow if you really get bored of it. Also, half your time is spent under ground in caves or ruins anyways!

Ayen
05-27-2015, 05:46 AM
I always kind of liked Arena a little more for some reason.

I wonder how many people thought it was a fighting game when it first came out.

Pike
05-27-2015, 11:06 AM
It was going to be a sort of gladiator-style fighting game originally! Then they completely revamped it but they already had the box art and everything done so they kept the name.

Fun fact: Nirn is the name of the planet on which most of TES is set and it means "Arena" in Ehlnofex, the ancient language of the TES world.

Fun fact 2: Tamriel means "starry heart".

Madame Adequate
05-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Been playing Morrowind lately and I wanted to add something that came about in Oblivion which really was a HUGE improvement. Namely, the ability to use poisons on your weapons.

escobert
05-28-2015, 10:53 PM
I also prefer in Oblivion using a separate button for spells. I hated having to put my weapons away to use night eye or healmyself in Skyrim.

Pike
05-29-2015, 12:19 AM
Oblivion combat was pretty fun. And some of the quests were good, as well as the entire Shivering Isles expansion.

escobert
05-29-2015, 02:31 AM
Shivering Isles was a blast. the Knights of The Nine quest line was fun too. I liked getting the super pimped out castle and I think there was a mages tower and an underground hideout you could have.

Madame Adequate
05-31-2015, 02:18 PM
Shivering Isles was amazing and even as someone who doesn't like the rest of Oblivion much, that expansion singlehandedly justifies the entire thing.

Forsaken Lover
06-07-2015, 02:16 AM
So I chose a Khajiit Female Monk for my Morrowind playthrough.

It's still going. I'm just now proving myself to the Ashlanders. I spent foreverdoing a ton of side stuff to learn the lore. I'm Level...19 I think.

Problem is, Monks get very boring after a while. And Unarmored sucks. Magic attacks from Daedra destroy you. And I really want to go toa a Daedric shrine too! They're cool and I want to explore but the bastards keep killing me. I managed to getinto a few but it's still just too damned annoying and boring. I don't know how many hours I've put into the game...it's supposed to say stuff loike that on your save files but I don't see it anywhere. I'd guess 30 hours at least.

Anyway, after all of that, I decided I don't care about gameplay. As cool as it was to beat the crap out of ghosts and demons with my Kitty Fists of Fury - which was great because Fatigue KOs work wonders on Atromachs - I still got bored. I like the story and world and I LOVE the music. But constantly dying was sapping all the fun.

So I used the Soultrap Glitch. Now I can enjoy the game's plot in peace.

I do intend to beat Skyrim and Oblivion legitimately though. Skyrim in particular looks like a ton of fun. I know it doesn't have any classes but you can still build your character with a class and I intend to do that. Been reading a lot of recommendations on The Skyrim Blog.