PDA

View Full Version : Tales Games

Pumpkin
05-22-2015, 09:16 PM
I was going to necro the old thread but it's about half a year old so I'll just make a new one!

I've played more and more of them and the more I play, the more impressed I am with the series! I have yet to find one I didn't really like. If Final Fantasy didn't have 2-3 of my favourite games ever, this would probably be my favourite game series.

I like the character interactions a lot. I like how each character interacts with one another, instead of everyone only speaking to the main 2 and not each other.

So which Tales games have you played? Which are your favourites?

I have played Tales of Xillia, Xillia 2, Symphonia, Vesperia, Legendia, Abyss, I'm currently playing Hearts R and I just picked up Garces f.

I want to try the older 2D ones but I'm scared of change :ohdear:

Mirage
05-22-2015, 09:27 PM
I've played Symphonia, Graces F, Xillia and Xillia 2 in that order. I'm playing Vesperia right now actually, and I started playing Abyss in between Symphonia and Graces but I didn't get far. Maybe I should look into that again. I also have Symphonia 2 but I haven't started it yet.

Vyk
05-22-2015, 10:34 PM
We own like all of them. But quit prematurely on Vesperia, Graces, and Abyss. Xillia and Xillia 2 kept us enthralled throughout though. I need Legendia though. And I played Symphonia on my own when it was new, and it was alright. I've dabbled into the others. Destiny was just okay. Really cookie-cutter. Haven't tried Phantasia or Destiny 2 / Eternia. Or whatever other PSP releases there were (Tales of the World and whatnot). But yeah. It's a pretty trustworthy series these days

Colonel Angus
05-23-2015, 02:39 AM
I liked Talespin.

Mirage
05-23-2015, 04:25 AM
I liked Talespin.

Pumpkin
05-24-2015, 09:50 PM
So far Tales of Hearts R is at least my second favourite Tales game, maybe first. I dunno, it's close

I'm enjoying Graces but not as much as most of the games in the series. It's still a good game, but not quite as good as most others I've played.

Little Cheria was adorable though, I love her hair and her boots :omgomg:

Vyk
05-25-2015, 04:27 AM
Pretty much same experience for me. Graces was nice, but it didn't strike many chords for some reason. It seemed like a cheap knock-off anime that was just going through the paces and checking things off the list. And they weren't done badly, just not a whole lot grabbed me. But yeah, baby Cheria was adorable

I have Hearts R but haven't actually played it. I've heard good things about it, but only in passing. I think you're the first person I know more realistically than just random comments on other websites. I'll have to put it closer to the front of my backburner list

Chibi Youkai
05-27-2015, 02:16 AM
I've only played Abyss for the 3DS, but was happy with it. Some of the plot points were a little cliche, but all in all it was a pretty good game. Loved how it had all sorts of side stuff that you had to go an seek out, they weren't just handed to you to do, like some games have become in recent years.

Randy
05-27-2015, 07:36 PM
I've played Destiny 2 (aka Eternia), Abyss, Symphonia and I'm about to start Hearts R.

It is a great series so far. Not a masterpiece of any kind but just a kind nice above average quality level that's quite consistent. The main problem I'm having is that since playing Abyss, I find it impossible to go back to fighting styles that don't have full 3D motion. Destiny 2 was a struggle for that reason, despite being a very pretty game.

Pumpkin
06-04-2015, 02:49 AM
Tales of Hearts R was magnificent, and I'm enjoying Graces more and more. Some of the voice acting is atrocious and they took a step back on some things, but it is getting better. At first I was concerned I wouldn't like ANY characters and now I like 4 of them a lot.

Also this is really silly but I absolutely hated Sophie's hair so I downloaded the DLC to get this hair:

Million times happier

Vermachtnis
06-04-2015, 05:17 AM
The Graces cast had to grow on me too, except for Pascal. I loved Pascal from her first scene. At first Huburt was my least favorite favorite, but grew to be second behind Pascal. I think it was his, "We should always give it our best. That wasn't it." Victory quote, so very deadpan. And his interactions with Pascal was the best. And I liked Sophie's hair. There's a couple of funny victory quotes revolving around them. Putting Pascal in her bathing suit ruins any serious moment. Especially since you can only get it like right before the final dungeon so it's pretty much serious at that point.

Abyss is my favorite though. Again because the cast. Especially Jade. Jade is the best character in the entire series. And Natalia is my go to character to play as. I've only other played Phantasia, Eternia, Symphonia, Legendia, and Hearts.

I have Xillia downloaded, I got a bundle with Graces, but I haven't played it yet.

Sephex
06-04-2015, 06:05 AM
I've fully played Symphonia and Vesperia, and seen a couple of other ones played by a buddy of mine. I have the direct sequel to Symphonia (got it randomly as a gift), but I never bothered to play it because I heard it is very disappointing. This is a series I keep meaning on getting into more.

Randy
06-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Interesting to see so much praise for Hearts R in this thread. I'm tempted to start it right now :-)

Chibi Youkai
06-06-2015, 12:54 AM
Hearts R is getting lots of praise. Was going to pick it up, then found out it's a vita game. Sad. :(

Vyk
06-06-2015, 01:34 AM
I got the VitaTV specifically for that game lol Haven't played it yet though. Also have the Danganranpa games and the 999 sequel

There was a DS translation that was almost complete. They stopped work on it to give the Vita game a chance (and also to avoid a cease and desist). I wonder if they'd secretly started working on it again, since they were all horribly disappointed in the quality of the Vita localization

I've been itching for some retro gaming love. And Hearts R certainly has that good old fashioned JRPG flair about it. Maybe I should finally pop it in and give it a whirl

Randy
06-06-2015, 01:41 AM
Hearts R is getting lots of praise. Was going to pick it up, then found out it's a vita game. Sad. :(

You're on a JRPG-centric site and you don't have a Vita? Isn't that where nearly all of the JRPGs live? OK, so most of them are crap, but still...

Chibi Youkai
06-06-2015, 02:08 AM

You're on a JRPG-centric site and you don't have a Vita? Isn't that where nearly all of the JRPGs live? OK, so most of them are crap, but still...

I have a DS, if it makes you feel any better. Never got the Vita because the amount of time I'd have to spend on it versus the cost just didn't make it appealing. Don't even have a ps4 yet; not home enough to make the purchase worth it.

Randy
06-06-2015, 03:24 AM
I have a DS, if it makes you feel any better. Never got the Vita because the amount of time I'd have to spend on it versus the cost just didn't make it appealing. Don't even have a ps4 yet; not home enough to make the purchase worth it.

Those are pretty much my own thoughts too. I just found a Vita for an insanely cheap price though, so figured 'why not?'. I don't have a PS4 yet for the same reason actually. I'm thinking when I finally have time a few years down the line, there'll be an incredibly good library on offer. Although FF15 being critically acclaimed could speed that up significantly.

Pumpkin
06-06-2015, 03:40 AM
There are some complaints about the translation of Hearts R, but it didn't personally bother me at all. It was a good story, extremely fun, and had a great cast of characters. In fact, on of my favourite characters was apparently changed to be cornier or something, but I liked him just as he was. I might not have liked him so much in the original.

So if stuff like that bothers you you might just get a headache out of it, but I thought it was great

Vyk
06-06-2015, 04:56 PM
You're using a lot of past tense, did you beat the game already? I must have missed that. I think that's one of the fastest times I've seen you blow through a game, even the ones you don't end up liking and finish by watching on YouTube I'm not sure you got through any faster. You're not kidding when you say you really liked it then xD

Fox
06-06-2015, 05:07 PM
They announced 'Berseria' today for PS3/PS4. I'll look forward to that one! Looks like this one has a solo female protagonist by the name of 'Velvet'. It's nice that she won't have to share the limelight with a vastly inferior dude like Milla did*. I've only seen one low quality image of her so far, but she looks quite cool.

*Jude's actually a pretty cool guy, I just loved Milla way more

Vyk
06-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Yeah, you can tell its the same artist from Xillia, she looks like a black-haired Milla. Thanks for the tip though. I'll definitely keep an eye on that one. So if Zestiria doesn't do it for me, likely this one will. But I'll still buy both. Gotta let them know we love these games. And I agree, I loved playing as Jude, but Milla was way more interesting

Pumpkin
06-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Yeah I've actually been playing through games a lot faster lately. Must have been the practice powering through them for my top games list :lol: I finished it about a week ago apparently (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/162058-Pumpkin-s-Video-Game-Diary!?p=3536271&viewfull=1#post3536271)

It did help that I liked it so much and couldn't put it down :D

EXCITED ABOUT NEW TALES GAMES :excited:

Randy
06-11-2015, 03:04 PM
There are some complaints about the translation of Hearts R, but it didn't personally bother me at all.

I'm playing through it atm. It's nothing worth caring about really. Bout on the same level as FF7s translation issues.

Chibi Youkai
06-12-2015, 10:11 AM
If I can recall correctly, there were a lot of complaints about FF7's translation too. One of the myriad reasons people would like to see it remade.

Randy
06-12-2015, 10:15 AM
If I can recall correctly, there were a lot of complaints about FF7's translation too. One of the myriad reasons people would like to see it remade.

Just people being overly nitpicky as far as I can tell. There were something like 10 grammatical mistakes, that's it. It detracts 0.0001% from the quality of the game.

Vyk
06-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Some people love "This guy are sick" for its charm. Some people are immediately drawn out of the game. I can understand both sides

My beloved Shining Force series had a couple of these, especially in the second game. And it didn't hurt the game's appeal at all. I can't wait to give Hearts a real try, since I'm stuck in Innocence, and the girlfriend doesn't want to finish Graces or Vesperia with me

Pumpkin
06-12-2015, 08:08 PM
You're pretty picky so I'm not sure how well you'll like it, but I think it was pretty great. It has the typical Tales story switch up, although I didn't enjoy it as much as some others. Not that it wasn't still really good. But the characters to me were excellent and the world was fun and the gameplay was great. It used the Vita touch screen as well which was nice.

I'm a good chunk of the way through Graces and my opinion seems to be that it's a good game, well worth the play, but not as good as most other Tales games I've played. The characters grew on me and I'm much happier with them, but Asbel in particular bugs me because he's kind of out of character sometimes in a way that doesn't make sense and his and Richard's voice acting is dull as all heck. But I like most of them now and the story is interesting once you get going.

Mirage
06-13-2015, 01:15 AM
Tales of zestiria PS4 port confirmed. And Steam port too!

Vyk
06-13-2015, 02:40 AM
Wow... That is pretty fantastic then. I'm kinda glad these companies are starting to be willing to do this. It opens up the games to new potential fans. And the PC is sorely hurting for higher quality JRPGs

Mirage
06-13-2015, 03:23 AM
off topic but valkyria chronicles is on sale on steam now. 5 bucks.

Zestiria steam version is released only 4 days after PS3/4 versions btw.

fat_moogle
06-14-2015, 08:00 PM
I think I'm near the end of Tales of Graces f (my first Tales of game), but I haven't played it properly for months. I went back to it the other day but found that I had completely forgotten how to play and failed miserably. I might call it quits on Graces f because the story hasn't exactly hooked me (Richard this, Richard that) and move on to Tales of Xillia which is sitting on my PS3 HDD, and which I also hear is vastly superior to Graces f. Xillia will determine whether or not I'm interested in Zestiria.

Pumpkin
06-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Xillia is better, I agree. Either way I am super pumped for new Tales games :omgomg:

Fox
06-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Xillia is miles better than Graces.

Between two new Tales games and Star Ocean 5 this new console generation is finally getting rolling on the RPG side of the things ^_^

Vyk
06-15-2015, 04:12 AM
Xillia is miles better than Graces.
Agreed

Star Ocean 5
Wut

This almost sounds familiar, but in a weird "did I dream this?" kind of way. Like I suppressed the memory of hearing about this. Is this a recent development, or did I legit repress the news?

I pray its better than Star Ocean 4. But I didn't really like Eternal Sonata either, so Tri-Ace has had trouble winning me over last generation, sadly. They're one of those companies that I want to like, but can't find anything to like

Mirage
06-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Square enix had a teaser site that actually turned out to be what people wanted them to tease. It was a month or two ago.

fat_moogle
11-03-2015, 01:57 PM
So I finally got around to starting Tales of Xillia a few days ago, and I can say that I'm definitely liking it a lot more than Graces f so far. I've just reached a place called Fort Gandala, and I only realised in the area before (Sharilton) that I needed to use items to expand the stock at stores xD

Vyk
12-13-2015, 05:11 AM
Finally put Tales of Hearts into my Vita for once and have been whittling away at it for about a week in random 10 - 30 minute sessions. I'm about two hours in and have had two people traveling with me and I'm still the only person on the battle field in a fight. It'd probably be better if I just played for a straight hour or so but I'm in a huge slump and it doesn't take long for a session of any game to bore me at the moment. I'm really starting to get impatient with these two not joining me in fights...

Rin Heartilly
12-13-2015, 10:37 AM
I own symphonia 1&2, graces f, xillia 1&2, hearts r and Zestiria. I've yet to finish any :< I have a thing about doing everything in an rpg except the final boss (I don't like it when games end D:). I haven't started hearts R, but I'm over half way in all the others minus xillia 2. I'm really enjoying Zestiria atm, I love Sorey and Mikleo's relationship :D

Pumpkin
12-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Finally put Tales of Hearts into my Vita for once and have been whittling away at it for about a week in random 10 - 30 minute sessions. I'm about two hours in and have had two people traveling with me and I'm still the only person on the battle field in a fight. It'd probably be better if I just played for a straight hour or so but I'm in a huge slump and it doesn't take long for a session of any game to bore me at the moment. I'm really starting to get impatient with these two not joining me in fights...

Sorry to hear that. I love Hearts so hopefully you can get some enjoyment out of it

I own symphonia 1&2, graces f, xillia 1&2, hearts r and Zestiria. I've yet to finish any :< I have a thing about doing everything in an rpg except the final boss (I don't like it when games end D:). I haven't started hearts R, but I'm over half way in all the others minus xillia 2. I'm really enjoying Zestiria atm, I love Sorey and Mikleo's relationship :D

Mikleo and Sorey are pretty awesome together, I agree. I had the same final boss problem, I always have to push myself to do it now.

So Vesperia is finished, I forgot to update with exams and events and stuff, but Xillia will resume shortly~

krissy
12-16-2015, 05:08 AM
i only ever played phantasia

it was good
shags like a tiger

Pumpkin
12-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Berseria updates guys!!!

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/tales-berseria-launches-2016-japan-second-trailer

2016 release date

New trailer

Nw0iCYEavcU

Vyk
12-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Werewolves and big creepy transformed arm thing. Really reminds me of the Blood+ anime. The bits of story and lighting and camera angles and stuff all remind me of Blood as well. It was pretty stellar so its not a bad place to draw inspiration from

Pumpkin
12-18-2015, 03:37 PM
It isn't the Tales game that has me the most excited so far, but I am interested to see where it goes with some of it. I'm excited to see new characters though

Zeldy
12-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Tales of Symphonia officially available on Steam in February (http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/21/10634018/tales-of-symphonia-officially-available-on-steam-in-february)

A Steam port of Tales of Symphonia, one of the most popular entries in Bandai Namco's Tales series, will be up for purchase starting in February. The official Tales franchise blog confirmed the title's Feb. 2 release date earlier today.

Aulayna
01-03-2016, 08:39 PM
I played Symphonia, Vesperia, Phantasia and the Abyss. Symphonia has been my favourite by far. I did pick-up Zestiria during the Steam sale though and once I've finished off the side-quests in AC Syndicate, I'll be giving it a whirl.

Fox
01-04-2016, 01:46 PM
I'm currently working up towards Zestiria. I've almost finished my Jude playthrough in Xillia and then I'll do Xillia 2. I don't like there being a new Tales game I haven't played. It makes me feel dirty.

Mirage
01-06-2016, 09:57 PM
Since we are on this topic, can you please enlighten me on those 2 series:
- Tales
- Atelier

I know they have plenty of games, heard bad things about them from a seller though.
I really love to see how character stories develop in RPGs, that's why they caught my attention.

Also Ni no Kuni.
If you have others in mind, worth the penny, please throw names :jess:

All Tales games have completely separated stories and worlds, except those that are numbered sequels, such as Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2. You don't need to have played any other game in the series to enjoy any of the games, except those who have a "2" in their titles.

There are two somewhat separate teams within Bamco that make Tales games. As for the games themselves, they are a mixed bag. Some have really cheesy stories and two-dimensional characters, and some do not. In many of the games, the gameplay is the most interesting things. If you want a recommendation for one with a good story and decent characters, I would suggest Xillia.

Fox
01-07-2016, 02:19 AM
So I just finished my Jude playthrough of Xillia. Man I love Xillia, it is overall my favourite Tales game.

I wish these games had better soundtracks though. I know it's officially The Law that Sakuraba-san has to do the music to all these games plus Star Ocean, but I'm not exactly a fan. Vesperia and Xillia both have certain scenes that could have the impact of something from a Final Fantasy game if they just had a decent theme to go with it.

Mirage
01-07-2016, 03:30 AM
Sakuraba was a lot better before. He nails it pretty much all the time in VP and did pretty well in SO3 too.

Vyk
01-07-2016, 04:40 AM
There were some tracks in Tales of Zestiria that were totally reminiscent of his Shining Force 3 / Shining the Holy Ark days on Sega Saturn, and it gave me a huge nostalgia boner. Outside of that, I'll admit the majority of his tracks are just passable. Very rare anything grates or ruins a scene. But I do admit scenes could be better with more emotional music rather than just background music

Fox
01-08-2016, 01:30 AM
I started playing Xillia 2 today and there was a piece of music relatively early that I really liked! Memorable melody, very scene appropriate... I Googled the composer as it was so much better than normal I assumed Sakuraba had a helper for this game. But nope, looks like it was just him so... well done to him. I found at least one properly good one.

Speaking of Xillia 2, it's a very interesting game! Whereas Xillia was relatively typical in terms of how the quest was set up, Xillia 2 has started out much more mysterious. I like the debt mechanic that forces me to balance paying off this debt with having the Gald I need for weapons and things. And the characters so far are all really interesting and well acted.

Except Ludger, who is a silent protagonist, and once again proving why silent protagonists are the worst thing since unsliced bread.

He already has an interesting relationship with his brother, with Elle, with Jude and with his cat, who is awesome. He's caught up in fascinating events and some kind of weird unexplained phenomenon is happening to him. And he doesn't have a damn thing to say about it except the occasional "Huh?" "Yeah." "Uuhhhgh!?!" I wouldn't go so far as to say it's ruining the game, but every single scene that Ludger features in (note - he's the point of view character so... most of them) suffers significantly.

BreakfastGrilledCheese
01-08-2016, 01:44 AM
I played and LOVED Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia (OMG, BEST, FANGIRL!). I am halfway through Xillia and I'm liking it so far, but that's more because I like Milla a lot.

Tales of Graces......oh man. I wanted to like it. I couldn't. I can't. It just can't be done. I think Pascal is one of the cutest things ever though.

Vyk
01-08-2016, 02:28 AM
I started playing Xillia 2 today and there was a piece of music relatively early that I really liked! Memorable melody, very scene appropriate... I Googled the composer as it was so much better than normal I assumed Sakuraba had a helper for this game. But nope, looks like it was just him so... well done to him. I found at least one properly good one.

Speaking of Xillia 2, it's a very interesting game! Whereas Xillia was relatively typical in terms of how the quest was set up, Xillia 2 has started out much more mysterious. I like the debt mechanic that forces me to balance paying off this debt with having the Gald I need for weapons and things. And the characters so far are all really interesting and well acted.

Except Ludger, who is a silent protagonist, and once again proving why silent protagonists are the worst thing since unsliced bread.

He already has an interesting relationship with his brother, with Elle, with Jude and with his cat, who is awesome. He's caught up in fascinating events and some kind of weird unexplained phenomenon is happening to him. And he doesn't have a damn thing to say about it except the occasional "Huh?" "Yeah." "Uuhhhgh!?!" I wouldn't go so far as to say it's ruining the game, but every single scene that Ludger features in (note - he's the point of view character so... most of them) suffers significantly.
A bonus you get for beating the game is that New Game+ has Ludger voiced. Which is insane. The entire game, voiced by the main character, and barely anyone will get to experience. I'm not the type to play through a game twice, and when I do, it's years and years down the line. So next time, maybe, but good grief

Fox
01-08-2016, 10:04 AM
A bonus you get for beating the game is that New Game+ has Ludger voiced. Which is insane. The entire game, voiced by the main character, and barely anyone will get to experience. I'm not the type to play through a game twice, and when I do, it's years and years down the line. So next time, maybe, but good grief

u wot m8?!!?

[picard_facepalm.jpg]

Well now I just feel sad.

Mirage
01-08-2016, 12:26 PM
he still doesn't say much interesting

it's mostly just "yeah" or "no".

Vyk
01-08-2016, 09:43 PM
Well the choices you're given are voiced by him but in all honesty it just sounds like an inner monologue debating the options. It has the same value and effect of you reading the choices in your own head.. It is sad. And hopefully the last time they do that. But the whole game was experimentation and most of the other quirky stuff came out good

Formalhaut
01-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Well the choices you're given are voiced by him but in all honesty it just sounds like an inner monologue debating the options. It has the same value and effect of you reading the choices in your own head.. It is sad. And hopefully the last time they do that. But the whole game was experimentation and most of the other quirky stuff came out good

Why didn't they have that as an option at the start?

Vyk
01-10-2016, 09:31 PM
I'm honestly not sure what their justification is and I doubt anything they argue for it would really hold water. Either homage to the silent protagonist or purposely a blank slate you can project onto. As someone else said he barely emotes anything until toward the end of the game when some serious choices need to start being made. I got the impression they intended it to just be a reward for beating the game. But I think everyone would have preferred it be available from the start of left out completely

Fox
06-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Buuuump!

Hey I finally completed Xillia 2 recently. It was pretty good! Some nice plot elements, some very nice gameplay systems, some really cool characters. INCLUDING LUDGER which is the most annoying thing because he was mute. I was going through the entire story thinking "Wow, Ludger, this is some really interesting character development for you. This is a really cool situation you find yourself in that could potentially have a lot of emotional heft behind it. Shame all of it is wasted because you never say anything".

Still haven't started Zestiria, but I'll get on that very soon I think.

I have to finish it this year given how pumped I am for THIS ONE

PNvgWxVTtM4

Check out some battles! Linking from Xillia/Zestiria is gone but there's a character switching mechanic that reminds me of FFX.

37kRWXXVKJI

Randy
07-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Really hope Berseria ends up being good. Have struggled to enjoy this series for quite a while. I need the story to be interesting and the battle system to be engaging. They usually fail on one or the other.

I still haven't played Symphonia all the way through though. So I might go and replay that!

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Just got Zestiria yesterday, played like six hours and stayed up until 3:30am. I am really enjoying it! I had tried Abyss on the 3DS but I had eventually abandoned it.

I wanna cuddle Sorey.

Pumpkin
07-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Zestiria isn't one of my favourites but I had some good fun with it! LAILAH 4 LYFE

Been replaying Xillia 2! I don't love it as much as I did the first time but I am enjoying myself quite a bit

Randy
07-28-2016, 10:54 PM
The pacing in Zestiria was much slower than others in this series. That ruined it a bit for me. I stayed in quite a few of the towns for at least a few hours. But they weren't particularly interesting towns, what with the whole no-interiors thing going on.

qwertysaur
09-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Been playing Zesteria. All of my party members have therapy cats and it's MAGICAL! Also if Sorey and Raine from Symphonia met it would be amazing.

fat_moogle
03-07-2017, 01:17 AM
So I completed Tales of Xillia tonight! It was a much better game than Graces f, which is the only other game in the series that I've played. How does Xillia 2 compare?

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-07-2017, 01:23 AM
I only played Phantasia up to Symphonia. Symphonia is my favorite and the most nostalgic for me since I played it with a relative.

Pumpkin
03-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Xillia is better than Xillia 2, but Xillia 2 is still a fun game to add on to Xillia if you liked the cast

Formalhaut
03-07-2017, 02:05 AM
So I completed Tales of Xillia tonight! It was a much better game than Graces f, which is the only other game in the series that I've played. How does Xillia 2 compare?

Hey we completed the game pretty in tandem! I only finished Xillia like, two days ago.

Which path did you choose, out of interest? I went with Jude, because character development, but apparently Millia's path has more direct involvement with the story.

Mr. Carny went with Milla. Even in his second playthrough, he chose Milla again. Weird. I'm just starting my Milla playthrough now, but I'm hoping to just breeze through as my grade shop was in the 8000s so I could inherit a bunch of stuff.

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-07-2017, 02:05 AM
Is it me or Tales demos are clunky and hectic? Combat is all over the place and everything feels like a button masher. I want to get into modern Tales but this won't do for me, especially as someone who prefers tactical combat.

Pumpkin
03-07-2017, 02:11 AM

Hey we completed the game pretty in tandem! I only finished Xillia like, two days ago.

Which path did you choose, out of interest? I went with Jude, because character development, but apparently Millia's path has more direct involvement with the story.

Mr. Carny went with Milla. Even in his second playthrough, he chose Milla again. Weird. I'm just starting my Milla playthrough now, but I'm hoping to just breeze through as my grade shop was in the 8000s so I could inherit a bunch of stuff.

I'm glad you guys liked it enough to play more than once!

Formalhaut
03-07-2017, 02:19 AM
Is it me or Tales demos are clunky and hectic? Combat is all over the place and everything feels like a button masher. I want to get into modern Tales but this won't do for me, especially as someone who prefers tactical combat.

I will say I had to warm up to Tales combat because it is something I have never played before. Pumpkin probably already knows but I still don't have the knack for aerial combat (which Leia and Milla excel at and have skills geared for it).

Having said that though, as I played I got much better. I even bumped up the difficulty from easy to moderate, and even hard against trash mobs I could easily beat. I even did all of the coliseum, even the advanced single and grandmaster with all characters!

Though some characters were easy. Rowen just spammed Tidal Wave to victory. Elize went Warrior for the first time ever and spammed Teepo Roar. Milla used her aerial spell ability to cast spells in midair in complete safety. Seriously, it was that easy.

Pumpkin
03-07-2017, 02:24 AM
It's funny because Leia was my main in Xillia and now Eleanor is my main in Berseria and she also does a fair bit of aerial stuff.

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-07-2017, 02:29 AM
I loved Symphonia's combat though. It was so fun since I was playing it with a younger sibling and an older cousin with a lot of experience. What modern Tales games comes up to the same level of quality as Symphonia?

Formalhaut
03-07-2017, 02:30 AM
I just can't get to grips with it! I knock them into the air, jump up to attack them normally and then... my attack misses. Or it hits once before the monster drops to the ground again.

I did actually second Leia, but I stuck to her as a buffer/attacker while Jude was my go-to relentless assault guy who could also do some light healing on the side. For a medical student, he's actually the worst healer in the game. It's funny.

Pumpkin
03-07-2017, 02:32 AM
I loved Symphonia's combat though. It was so fun since I was playing it with a younger sibling and an older cousin with a lot of experience. What modern Tales games comes up to the same level of quality as Symphonia?

It's generally gotten more refined with newer games

I just can't get to grips with it! I knock them into the air, jump up to attack them normally and then... my attack misses. Or it hits once before the monster drops to the ground again.

I did actually second Leia, but I stuck to her as a buffer/attacker while Jude was my go-to relentless assault guy who could also do some light healing on the side. For a medical student, he's actually the worst healer in the game. It's funny.

Eleanor is great for aerial. She has this attack that launches groups of enemies (who are close together) in to the air and then has follow ups to that. It actually HEALS HER which I mean

I guess some people just respond better to certain styles. I love Elize but man am I not good at using her

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-07-2017, 02:36 AM
I want to try Hearts R out. Is it good? Anyone here played it? The story seems generic to me but I like the character designs.

Formalhaut
03-07-2017, 02:36 AM
Oh God I could not be the healer. Healing is so vital in the game's meanest bosses (and Tales bosses are so much harder than in other RPGs) I wouldn't even consider using Elize. The A.I does a great job handling her distance and healing.

I might try using Alvin in my Milla playthrough to see how he operates with his charge mechanic. In my Jude playthrough I even used Rowen sometimes in bosses. Jude and Leia would do a great job keeping the boss occupied while I spammed damaging spells from the back distance. He wasn't very useful in mob fights though. He kinda gets swamped easily.

Pumpkin
03-07-2017, 02:37 AM
I want to try Hearts R out. Is it good? Anyone here played it? The story seems generic to me but I like the character designs.

I really liked Hearts R but there's no English dub, only sub. It's much more love-story than the others though

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-07-2017, 02:42 AM

I really liked Hearts R but there's no English dub, only sub. It's much more love-story than the others thoughI love love stories involving black-haired women so that's why it appealed to me at first. I don't care if there's no dub. I am a weeaboo anyways and don't care. Is the combat system good? I heard it's different from the console Tales.

Pumpkin
03-07-2017, 02:43 AM
It's very similar to the other console Tales of the generation

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-07-2017, 02:44 AM
It's very similar to the other console Tales of the generationAlright, I'll buy it tonight. Apparently, it's Hideo Baba's favorite Tales game.

Sephiroth
03-10-2017, 12:05 AM
I still need to return to the Tales of Games that I have. I was just so busy with everything and the other games ... Maybe after Nier 2 and World of FF I can finally continue them.