PDA

View Full Version : Let's end it on this...

Wolf Kanno
05-23-2015, 07:21 PM
What is your favorite ending to any RPG?

Fynn
05-23-2015, 07:25 PM
The World Ends With You had some great payoff for what the characters have to go through.

Also, the ending of pretty much every Kingdom Hearts game, Chain of Memories especially - heck, both of its endings :monster:

I think I have a thing for Nomura endings. Here's hoping FFXV's keeps this up!

Ayen
05-23-2015, 10:01 PM
FFX. I liked Yuna's speech near the end.

FFIX Choco Boy
05-24-2015, 12:32 AM
FFXIII-2 and Persona 3. I have a thing for bitter sweet, tear-jerking endings.

Skyblade
05-24-2015, 02:05 AM
Persona 3
Bravely Default
Chrono Trigger

The three best endings in gaming, in no particular order.

Vyk
05-24-2015, 04:18 AM
Most of my favorite RPGs either I haven't actually beaten, or had very terrible (or at least lack luster) endings

As far as endings I remember, to games I actually beat, and ones I actually enjoyed... I can only think of two...

The first Mass Effect and Final Fantasy VI

Mass Effect had a fairly happy and/or cliff-hanger'y ending that could have likely stood on its own and let the players use their imaginations pretty well

And while Final Fantasy VI's ending was pretty bittersweet, it tied things up extremely well, and gave a lot of closure

Mass Effect 3, KotOR 1 and 2, Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII all had weirdly ambiguous or completely disappointing endings. And my other favorite RPGs I haven't beaten. So I have no idea how Baldur's Gate or Xenoblade Chronicles ends lol and a lot of other RPGs I adore. Very sad thing

Scotty_ffgamer
05-24-2015, 04:56 AM
I think I can agree with The World Ends With You. I REALLY need to play through that one again as my memory is fuzzy on it all, but I remember it being super satisfying. I also can agree with Fynn on Kingdom Hearts. I could see why people wouldn't like them (just because I know a lot of people don't care about the story at all anymore), but I think the games often have some really fun battles leading up to the end, and then the endings themselves are just great.

Persona 3 is a good one. It kept true to the rest of the game and had some great impact. I thought a lot about different things after the ending of that game.

Final Fantasy VIII will forever stick with me. It's not the best ending at all, but it has a lot of nostalgic value for me that it always makes me a bit emotional when I see it. I love the music throughout the ending too (including the final battles).

Night Fury
05-24-2015, 05:08 AM
I really liked the ending to Mass Effect 2, because I remember just being so pumped over the whole last mission and the music was great.

Forsaken Lover
05-24-2015, 08:32 AM
I really liked the ending to Mass Effect 2, because I remember just being so pumped over the whole last mission and the music was great.

eILrZivDaVA

My choices....

Mass Effect 2
Xenogears
Xenosaga Episode III (JIN!!!!!!)
Final Fantasy IX (it was the first video game I remember finishing that I was sad to see it end but at the same time it was so perfect)

Elpizo
05-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Final fantasy IX. It was just perfect. Magical.

Karifean
05-24-2015, 09:40 AM
I second Final Fantasy X.

Depression Moon
05-24-2015, 08:20 PM
Final fantasy IX. It was just perfect. Magical.

I'll go with this one too, but for me this game has no competition. Out of all the rpgs I've played the only memorable ones for me have come from the Final Fantasy series and I can't even remember the ending to a lot of those.

NeoCracker
05-24-2015, 09:10 PM
This is a hard choice. I'm really tempted to go Persona 3 (Though Devil Survivor 1 and 2 and Persona 4 give it a good run for it's money for best ending of any SMT game I played), but I am going with Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis. A few different endings, no matter which one you go with I still stand by this. It may be the most emotionally involving fight in any RPG, and I can't explain why at all without ruining it.

Loony BoB
05-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Boss fight: FFVII, that Sephiroth fight was great.
Climax: Really hard to say as I can't think of many endings I was really satisfied with just how things went down. Perhaps FFVII. The world defeating the comet was alright and all that. Oh, or maybe Skyrim. That was a really cool way to end a game.
Post-climax scenes: FFVIII. While the Time Decompressoin cutscenes were nonsense (although great for emotional storytelling) in general, that credits post-ending stuff with them all celebrating and whatnot was spot on. More Final Fantasy games should do this kind of thing.

Del Murder
05-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Chrono Trigger should be the template on how to do multiple endings. The 'true' ending had subtle differences you could make in it which were really cool and all of the alternate endings were amusing and tied into the point in the game that you beat it.

Also FFVI had a truly epic ending that was like 20 minutes long but it gave every character a moment and I loved that.

However, the best RPG ending was FFIX as had already been stated. You kind of knew what was coming but it still had the emotional impact. Then they gut punch you with the fate of Vivi...

Laddy
05-27-2015, 01:14 AM
Planescape: Torment, Persona 3, Final Fantasy VII/X, and Chrono Trigger's endings were excellent.

Fallout 1, 2, & 3 deserve special mention, however. Each one of the major character, factions, and locations has their own ending segment based on how you played them. Hearing Ron Perlman punching you in the gut after learning that your choices inadvertently doomed your favorite characters to a horrifying fate is an RPG experience I won't forget.

Forsaken Lover
05-27-2015, 06:34 AM
MY8wHe8M2xY

Clearly the best ending ever and more games could learn a thing or two from it.

You know, I've got it! The way to make FFVIII a good game!

Squall and the others say "screw you" to the clearly senile old man who raised them to be killing machines ever since they were just out of diapers. They decide they don't want to fight and kill any more and they're going to decide what to do with their lives for the first time. They then go on to form a band named Balambfish and tour the world in their floating school.

Meanwhile, in the future, since our heroes are no longer enabling her to conduct her evil plan, Ultimecia never accomplishes anything.

The End.

Wolf Kanno
05-28-2015, 06:44 AM
I'll throw my lot with Persona 3 and Chrono Trigger.

Vagrant Story had a cool ending even if it implied a sequel we never got. I also really love FFTactics' ending, in fact Matsuno has a pretty decent track record with his endings. If you count Zelda as an RPG, Twilight Princess had a really touching and beautiful ending. Of course KH 358/2 had a pretty great ending. If you want an ending that is going to just going to destroy you, that games ending comes pretty close. Lufia 2 had a really good ending. Persona2 also has some pretty good endings as well. Can't really think of any others that really stand out for me.

Bright Shield
05-28-2015, 05:11 PM
Dragon Quest VIII
Suikoden II
Mother 3
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Grandia
Persona 3

Madame Adequate
05-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Suikoden II
FFX