PDA

View Full Version : FIFA Officials charged with Corruption and extradited to the US

Freya
05-27-2015, 02:30 PM
http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/05/27/sports/27soccer-hp-1/27soccer-hp-1-master675-v2.jpg

'Mericuh (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/sports/soccer/fifa-officials-arrested-on-corruption-charges-blatter-isnt-among-them.html)

See their problem was that they were doing corrupt things in the one country that knows how to deal with corrupt things. Did you know that the FBI has a 93% convection rate in these kind of cases :cool:

Blatter isn't among the 14 arrested but I bet you that they will use those people to get Blatter. The FIFA election is friday and he was supposed to get in pretty easily but not now! It'll be interesting!

DISCUSS!

Psychotic
05-27-2015, 03:08 PM
FIFA is corrupt as shit, full of absolute money guzzling scumbags and it's a shame that utter cock Blatter didn't get it either. Only two bids for 2018 and 2022 World Cups were deemed as risky by the technical committee - Russia and Qatar. Yet who are rich on oil money and corruption? Ho ho ho. FIFA is a cancer.

escobert
05-27-2015, 04:04 PM
See their problem was that they were doing corrupt things in the one country that knows how to deal with corrupt things.

lulz. Unless you're talking about the Swiss opening proceedings against FIFA also then yeah. But the US is most certainly not the best with dealing with corrupt anything.

Freya
05-27-2015, 04:13 PM
See their problem was that they were doing corrupt things in the one country that knows how to deal with corrupt things.

lulz. Unless you're talking about the Swiss opening proceedings against FIFA also then yeah. But the US is most certainly not the best with dealing with corrupt anything.

93% convection rate with the FBI on these type of charges because they work in tandem with the IRS. So if they've charged you, yeah they deal with corrupt things really well.

As for other corruption like political and what not, that's a different story. When it comes down to it though, when they actually charge someone of it, they get trout done. No matter of money will save you.

If anything goes for a second through a US bank, they know about it and it's technically their jurisdiction now. CONCACAF is headquartered in Miami. So any money to bribe them, welp, there you go. Caught.

escobert
05-27-2015, 04:20 PM

93% convection rate with the FBI on these type of charges because they work in tandem with the IRS. So if they've charged you, yeah they deal with corrupt things really well.

As for other corruption like political and what not, that's a different story. When it comes down to it though, when they actually charge someone of it, they get trout done. No matter of money will save you.

If anything goes for a second through a US bank, they know about it and it's technically their jurisdiction now. CONCACAF is headquartered in Miami. So any money to bribe them, welp, there you go. Caught.

Yeah I heard a story on the radio a few weeks ago that said FIFA officials pretty much stay as far away from the US as they can in fear of getting their doors kicked in.

Loony BoB
05-27-2015, 04:20 PM
I really don't like Blatter at all. Sadly I think we're stuck with him for a while yet. =/

Old Manus
05-27-2015, 04:41 PM

thank you based murica.

The Captain
05-27-2015, 05:08 PM

thank you based murica.

You are all welcome! USA! USA!

Seriously, I think this is the beginning of what hopefully is the complete revamp of FIFA. No idea what the new structure will look like but it can't possibly be worse than what it currently is.

I think Blatter is their eventual target in this, and taking all the underlings out smells like how the FBI used to bust the mob.

Take care all.

-N-
05-27-2015, 05:23 PM
Exciting! I clicked on this really hoping it wasn't fake.

Also, hello The Captain, holy damn long time.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-27-2015, 06:28 PM
I think Blatter is their eventual target in this, and taking all the underlings out smells like how the FBI used to bust the mob.

Yyyyyyyyuup. They'll eventually start turning evidence on each other just to avoid stiffer penalties and sentences. Nothing new.

Ayen
05-28-2015, 04:43 AM
I don't know who any of these people are and I'm just like, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Crop
05-28-2015, 08:50 AM
This is fantastic. FIFA are the most openly corrupt organisation in the world, and the only disappointment is that Blatter wasn't taken out too. There's still time, but I won't hold my breath, that weasel will probably find a way to get out of it Bernie Ecclestone style and remain the president until the end of time.

FIFA are not only a cancer to football, but to the whole world. £100 million? That's just through US banks - tip of the iceberg. I wish UEFA would just split away, it's not like there's much decent football outside Europe anyway.

The irony is, FIFA have been trying to get the US interested in football for decades - There you go folks, mission accomplished! :monster:

Sephex
05-28-2015, 09:58 AM
If any of them are female, looks like they are going to...sock her...with major charges.

I didn't try. What are you going to do about it?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Freya
05-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Nike has been called out in a $150 million scandal involved with the whole FIFA corruption. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/05/27/meet-the-unscrupulous-executives-who-conspired-with-fifa-officials-to-funnel-150-million-in-bribes/) Oh man, this is entertaining!

black orb
05-28-2015, 05:53 PM
>>> LOL FIFA, they didn't see this coming..:luca:

Formalhaut
05-28-2015, 06:15 PM
This surprises absolutely no one.

SuperMillionaire
05-29-2015, 08:40 PM
You beat me to making a thread about this topic, Freya.

And Sepp Blatter has since been re-elected as FIFA president.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sepp-blatter-wins-fifa-re-election-the-old-fashioned-way-162620493.html

Freya
05-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Awww fuck. Was waiting on that as the election was today. LAME. Maybe he'll get charged with corruption stuff and lose it.

Formalhaut
05-29-2015, 11:09 PM
Ugh. Another expected result. Sepp Blatter is like that crusty old grandfather that no-one can really quite pluck up the courage to ask him to leave.

Just go already! This is his 5th term in office. No-one should be in power for that long.

Crop
05-30-2015, 12:11 AM
This is unbelievable. Words cannot describe how disgusted I am at this outcome. Any other organisation in the world would have kicked this crooked twat out by now, but somehow he gets to stay.

I mean wow, did anyone see that graphic of everyone beneath him either being arrested, fired or charged for some sort of corruption? It beggars belief. Sad sad times for football.

Mirage
05-30-2015, 02:49 AM
UEFA could just stop dealing with them and make a new organization named UIFA :p

Calliope
05-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Will any of this improve conditions (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28881952) for those who actually have to build world cup infrastructure, or who are more prone to poverty, mistreatment, and death (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/05/27/a-body-count-in-qatar-illustrates-the-consequences-of-fifa-corruption/) due to living and working in a host country?

Mirage
05-31-2015, 06:46 PM
Who knows. If quatar loses the 2022 world cup, I guess people will stop dying from building those facilities, but who knows what they'll be set to do instead. I don't get the impression that they are particularly well treated in general there.

I don't even care particularly much about football. Basically the only reason I was paying attention to fifa in the first place was because of how they were apparently fine (they certainly weren't worried enough to start asking questions, at least) with letting quatar do things the way they did.

Loony BoB
05-31-2015, 07:38 PM
I highly doubt that they would simply stop building stadiums if they lost the World Cup, to be honest. But they might slow down the speed of their construction. I wonder if other major building constructions in the Middle East get similar "problems"? It's a massive issue, and I wonder if it's to do with Qatar in general or just the FIFA related stuff. One way or another, it's atrocious and someone needs to be held accountable.

Old Manus
05-31-2015, 09:23 PM
The UAE is barely any different. Everyone has offices in Dubai though so we don't talk about it.

Sephex
06-01-2015, 04:26 AM
The UAE is barely any different. Everyone has offices in Dubai though so we don't talk about it.

I guess you could say they are Dubaious officials.

(USER HAS BANNED HIMSELF FOR THIS POST)

Bubba
06-01-2015, 08:51 AM
This picture has been doing the rounds on Twitter recently. FIFA surely could not have been ignorant to the conditions that that migrant workers are subjected to over in Qatar. Surely they realised that they would be condemning hundreds and thousands of these workers to their death as a result of awarding the World Cup to Qatar. Did they care one bit? Not at all. As long as their palms are greased then what is the odd thousand deaths here and there? FIFA needs completely disbanding.

Loony BoB
06-01-2015, 01:10 PM
That is so incredibly disturbing to look at.

Psychotic
06-02-2015, 05:50 PM
WE GOT THE FUCKER!

Freya
06-02-2015, 05:59 PM
JUST SAW THAT ON TWITTER. HE RESIGNED. YES

Crop
06-02-2015, 06:04 PM
THERE IS A GOD AND HE'S A MASSIVE FOOTBALL FAN!!!!

Old Manus
06-02-2015, 06:13 PM
IS THIS REAL LIFE

Psychotic
06-02-2015, 07:14 PM
FAO: New President in October, take 2018 off fucking Russia, definitely take 2022 off Qatar, let's sort this shit out.

Freya
06-02-2015, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Russia keeps it.

Qatar was claiming people are racist against arabs today because people want it moved. (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/fifa-corruption-qatar-says-investigations-are-racist-antiarab-and-show-ugly-face-of-countries-who-lost-2022-world-cup-bid-10289591.html)

What probably will happen is Qatar will want their bribe money back and fifa doesn't want to give it back.

What happened I guess, Jerome Vlacke or Sepp's "right-hand-man" was caught MAILING an acknowledgement of a $10M (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-corruption-jerome-valcke-claimed-to-be-sender-of-10m-payment-to-jack-warner-in-letter-from-the-south-african-fa-10291267.html)bribe from the South African FA for the 2010 World Cup. And he resigned so then it was probably an oh shit momment for Sepp

Psychotic
06-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Russia and Qatar were awarded the World Cups in the same bidding process - the bidding process that was so roundly condemned as corrupt. If you take it off one you have to take it off the other too.

Old Manus
06-02-2015, 08:16 PM
I think the horse has bolted on the Russia and Qatar world cups. It will take too much effort to salvage those debacles. I'm also interested to see how much will change now. It's clear that FIFA corruption has become a well-oiled machine, and virtually every FA will have been complicit at some point, somewhere, if they wanted to do any sort of business with them. We've got the head and his lieutenants, but what about the rest of the whole rotten organisation? Platini and UEFA are just as bad, I don't know why he's painting himself as some sort of valiant defender of truth in football.

Mirage
06-02-2015, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Russia keeps it.

Qatar was claiming people are racist against arabs today because people want it moved. (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/fifa-corruption-qatar-says-investigations-are-racist-antiarab-and-show-ugly-face-of-countries-who-lost-2022-world-cup-bid-10289591.html)

What probably will happen is Qatar will want their bribe money back and fifa doesn't want to give it back.

What happened I guess, Jerome Vlacke or Sepp's "right-hand-man" was caught MAILING an acknowledgement of a $10M (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-corruption-jerome-valcke-claimed-to-be-sender-of-10m-payment-to-jack-warner-in-letter-from-the-south-african-fa-10291267.html)bribe from the South African FA for the 2010 World Cup. And he resigned so then it was probably an oh shit momment for Sepp

guuyyssssss, human rights is racism!!

SuperMillionaire
06-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Yes, the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were awarded to Russia and Qatar, respectively, in one shot. And the broadcasting rights in the United States were awarded to Fox Sports and Telemundo from 2018 to 2026, after many World Cups with ESPN and Univision.

Also, this just in: Sepp Blatter has announced that he will resign as FIFA president.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-fc-yahoo/sepp-blatter-resigns-as-fifa-president-165551478.html;_ylt=A0LEVzYtIW5VmkgAg.hXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMHZ0NG9yBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM3BHZ0aWQDBHNlYw Nzcg--

Mirage
06-02-2015, 10:51 PM
That's not just in. It was mentioned several hours ago in this very thread.

Bubba
06-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Breaking news: Sepp Blatter has resigned.

It appears it has nothing to do with all the blatant corruption that is rife within FIFA. Apparently he just wanted to spend more time with his family and Satan.

Loony BoB
06-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I don't think the WC's will be re-voted on, as much as I think they should. I hope they will, but doubt it.

I just hope they really open the doors to transparency.

Old Manus
06-04-2015, 09:34 AM
So Sepp Blatter just resigned as FIFA president

Bubba
06-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Well it's about time. There's been a lot of speculation but I'm glad it's finally been confirmed.

Psychotic
06-04-2015, 11:08 AM
So Sepp Blatter just resigned as FIFA presidentSource? I haven't seen this reported anywhere.

Pheesh
06-04-2015, 11:31 AM
I haven't really been following this thread but thought you all might be interested to know that Sepp Blatter has just resigned.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Gee, as soon as soon as someone felt the heat turn up on them a little bit they started turning evidence. How unusual!

I've often wondered about people in Blatter's condition. I mean, he had to know it was just a matter of time once so many other officials were caught, right? Or had he been in office, untouchable, for so long that he really thought he was going to be fine?

Also, following on Calliope's post, I've never fully understood the point of a city/country wanting to host something like the Olympics or the World Cup.

Especially for the poorer cities that have to create so a huge amount of infrastructure just to support it. Once you factor in bribes, marketing, construction costs, administrative costs, labor costs, etc. can it really still be profitable? They always make the same claim about how the facilities will pay for themselves over and over again with repeated use after the event is over, and we time and time again how the facilities instead rot into the ground, and become a huge financial burden.

Then you factor in the shitty worker conditions in place during the construction period and it just boggles my mind how it ever happens. Clearly some group of officials in the government is making money claw-over-hoof over the deal, but I wish they'd start catching those bastards too.

All those deaths, a massive undertaking that seems to typically cripple the economy of an already weak nation further, and then what? Ridiculous.

Old Manus
06-04-2015, 03:30 PM
It's just a legacy-wank for the suits, politicians and big-money backers who want to use it as an excuse to make a name for themselves by having a hand in organizing it. Look at the amount of bollocks we had with the 2012 Olympics. It was never supposed to make any financial sense; white elephants abound. The idea is especially appealing to middle eastern oil billionaires, such as those in Qatar. But we love it once it starts.

I'm also impressed at the brazenness of people like Jack Warner of late as things are starting to unravel. Last week he would have swore with one hand on a bible and the other on his mother's grave that everything he had ever done was legitimate and all allegations against him in the past fifteen years were all part of a racist Anglo-American conspiracy against him and FIFA. Now that he's got one foot in the grave he's changed tack completely and is threatening to reveal absolutely everything and bring Blatter down with him. Dude's got balls.

Formalhaut
06-05-2015, 08:43 PM
While the FIFA corruption rages, it is worth mentioning that the FIFA Women's World Cup (http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/) is taking place, starting from today, in Canada.

I'm not sure if the women's game is as corrupt as the men's, but it certainly needs more coverage!

Freya
06-05-2015, 08:58 PM
The US goes against Aus for their first match, i'm excited.

Mirage
06-07-2015, 06:48 AM
I had no idea you were such a soccer fan, freyz

escobert
06-07-2015, 10:08 PM
From what I hear the fact the Swiss made arrests and are carrying out an investigation is what really scared FIFA since its where they're based and haven't really ever gotten much gruff from the Swiss.