PDA

View Full Version : Fix a "broken" franchise.

Wolf Kanno
05-29-2015, 08:20 AM
If you could revive and fix a franchise that is past it's prime, how would you do it? Obviously we may not all agree what is actually in need of fixing but let's just stick to solutions and not debate what is actually "broken".

maybee
05-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog : I would remove some of Sonic's friends, and just include Tails and Knuckles ( and add in a new female character, because Amy is terrible ) and just let Sonic be the only playable one. I would also remove Shadow, and add in a new rival for sonic, and might even remove Dr Robotnik/ Eggman as well and add in a new villian to keep things fresh and new. Gameplay would be fresh and simple, it would be just old classic Sonic. It would be a mix of 3D/ 2D gameplay as it's been proven well that it can work and work well.

Rocket Edge
05-29-2015, 09:15 PM
1. Spyro - I probably wouldn't play platform games anymore but I remember the disappointment of playing the first release on the PS2. It handled nothing like the first game. It was also dumbed down and all the magic was lost.

2. Syphon Filter - Exactly like the first in the way the PS2 games were boring and did nothing to contribute in how involved I was with the first ones. I actually enjoyed the PS1 releases more than MGS.

3. Dungeon Keeper - Well this doesn't really fit in this category since they failed to release the 3rd instalment. It has excellent ingredients to be a top gaming franchise IMO, but somehow never materialised which is disappointing. I bought the recently released spin-off War for the Overworld, and although there is good elements, it doesn't really compare. Maybe I've outgrown it but I don't think it's that. The game also has major bug issues which is annoying.

That's of the top of my head.

Vyk
05-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog : I would remove some of Sonic's friends, and just include Tails and Knuckles ( and add in a new female character, because Amy is terrible ) and just let Sonic be the only playable one. I would also remove Shadow, and add in a new rival for sonic, and might even remove Dr Robotnik/ Eggman as well and add in a new villian to keep things fresh and new. Gameplay would be fresh and simple, it would be just old classic Sonic. It would be a mix of 3D/ 2D gameplay as it's been proven well that it can work and work well.

Sonic SatAM cartoon (Archie comics rendition with the Freedom Fighters). Sally is way better than Amy. Snivley would have made a great follow-up arch-rival, and all that jazz. And that show was just begging for a worthwhile game adaptation in the Sonic universe. Way better characterization and story-telling than anything Sega was ever doing with the series

Skyblade
05-30-2015, 12:13 AM

Sonic SatAM cartoon (Archie comics rendition with the Freedom Fighters). Sally is way better than Amy. Snivley would have made a great follow-up arch-rival, and all that jazz. And that show was just begging for a worthwhile game adaptation in the Sonic universe. Way better characterization and story-telling than anything Sega was ever doing with the series

Hilariously enough, I think the only game that incorporated elements of that show was Sonic Spinball. Which was an awesome game.

Colonel Angus
05-30-2015, 01:50 AM
Contra, which doesn't even exist due to Konami's recent suckage.

Q*Bert & Burgertime, because these franchises need to be resurrected.

Phantasy Star, because SEGA isn't doing much w/ it.

Clayfighters, because the fighting genre is still ripe for parody.

Vyk
05-30-2015, 02:03 AM
Contra, which doesn't even exist due to Konami's recent suckage.

Q*Bert & Burgertime, because these franchises need to be resurrected.

Phantasy Star, because SEGA isn't doing much w/ it.

Clayfighters, because the fighting genre is still ripe for parody.

I think Arc System Works made a Contra game that wasn't called Contra and people loved it. Hard Corps: Uprising, related to Contra Hard Corps. Too bad it's not like a spiritual successor and is actually a weirdly named actual successor, so Konami probably still holds the rights or whatever, but at least we know companies outside of Konami can deliver the goods, especially considering Way Forward made Contra IV (I think that's what it was called); and people enjoyed that, too. So there's two companies that can do it

I totally agree with Phantasy Star. Though there was an MMO released that people swear by, and the installer and stuff have been mostly translated by fans so it can be played in english, but its just another franchise Sega has continuously dropped the ball with. Last few were not released in the West. And I've never been a fan since they went online. I loved the old school JRPGs and would have loved to see where that style could have gone after the phenomenal Phantasy Star IV

Speaking of Sega. My answer would undoubtedly be Shining Force. I won't pretend that the first couple were some of the most technically sound strategic RPGs. But they were FUN. And to this day, remain the only Japanese SRPGs where you can actually walk around and traverse the map and towns and talk to NPCs in a real RPG fashion. Which is horribly lacking in any other JSRPG. And I've had to resort to getting that fix from more recent Western developed SRPGs like Shadown: Dragonfall and Divinity: Original Sin. And I absolutely love those games, but they don't have the charm that Shining Force had. How I would LOVE to be able to walk around in Fire Emblem: Awakening and traverse the map and talk to people and ... you know, have some actual down time between battles, rather than just scripted events

And augh the places Sega has dragged that series to in the meantime. All the cookie-cutter bullcrap, and lame action RPG crap nobody asked for. And they completely bailed on the art style which while typically anime-inspired, was still very unique in its own way back in the day, and there's still not a whole lot like it out there

I have a feeling a lot of Sega franchises are going to come up in this discussion though

Shiny
05-31-2015, 04:53 AM
Silent Hill: bring back the original Silent Hills team and a new score by Akira.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Gran Turismo. Create real, effective car damage. Update the sounds for most of the cars. They still sound like they did in GT2 half the time. Bring back some of the original fantasy tracks, and expand the amount of real world tracks available. Introduce a deeper, more realistic modification subsection.

All of this stuff is seriously lacking, and makes the game feel really pretty, but otherwise dated.

Take all of this and make it available through playing the game, not paid for DLC.

Madame Adequate
05-31-2015, 02:26 PM
Armored Core. Make AC but have Gran Turismo, or even Aurora, levels of sperging about your parts.

krissy
05-31-2015, 09:27 PM
front mission

just remake front mission 1 on the mobile phone and also do battle arenas for multiplayer

Slothy
05-31-2015, 09:58 PM
Gran Turismo. Create real, effective car damage. Update the sounds for most of the cars. They still sound like they did in GT2 half the time. Bring back some of the original fantasy tracks, and expand the amount of real world tracks available. Introduce a deeper, more realistic modification subsection.

All of this stuff is seriously lacking, and makes the game feel really pretty, but otherwise dated.

Take all of this and make it available through playing the game, not paid for DLC.

Their car damage is really, really bad isn't it? I agree with all of this. I still miss some of the older tracks in the newer games and I'd love even more real world tracks and better car modding.

Does anyone know of a game that does the modding stuff well actually? I've never really found one before.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-02-2015, 04:33 PM
The PC has IRacing, which is about as realistic as you can currently get. I think they've started offering it on consoles, but I don't know how good it is.

Honestly, I think Forza does car modding the best right now. It's not perfect, but it's decent.

Slothy
06-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Shame I don't have and probably won't buy an Xbox then. I've heard of iracing. I believe it's subscription based if I'm not mistaken and I try to avoid that like the plague. Might look into this further.

Mirage
06-02-2015, 08:04 PM

I don't think the amount of tracks is what the series lacks :p. I think it has the highest number of both layouts and locations out of any game except pcars.

I'll agree on damage and sounds though. Sounds seem to be in for a pretty great overhaul, as they're currently working on a way to auto-generate realistic engine sounds based on engine, exhaust and intake layouts. Hopefully that'll work pretty well, and will give unique dynamic sound changes to every tune you can think of.

DLC has never been rampant within the GT games so I wouldn't worry about that.

I think they just really need to reevaluate the car list. Shift it more away from quantity and over to quality. It's no surprise that making proper engine sounds for over 1000 cars is an enormous task.

Their car damage is really, really bad isn't it? I agree with all of this. I still miss some of the older tracks in the newer games and I'd love even more real world tracks and better car modding.

Does anyone know of a game that does the modding stuff well actually? I've never really found one before.

GT5 actually had pretty good damage, at least visually, with panels getting loose and almost (but not entirely) falling off. However, they removed it in an update. It might actually just have been too taxing on the PS3, with the number of polys GT cars roll with.

The way damage affects the gameplay is however more important than how it looks, imo.