PDA

View Full Version : Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Strider
06-03-2015, 08:39 PM
It's a fairly simple question, one of the great debates of our time. I say that it is, and I submit this link (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=24729) as evidence for such a claim, but I'm willing to listen to counterarguments.

Also, a relevant sub-question: Ketchup or no ketchup on your hot dog?

Pike
06-03-2015, 08:42 PM
oh god

OH GOD

it's the new "is soup a drink"

p.s. no ketchup because it's an absolutely vile substance and should be banned from civilization :barf:

Freya
06-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Well... I guess... it is....

http://i.imgur.com/MEgm8lk.gif

Colonel Angus
06-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Yes, in the same sense that a hamburger is a sandwich & an Italian Sausage Sandwich is a sandwich.

Sephex
06-03-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm going to make everyone mad.

I like my hot dogs completely plain.

You have no idea how much this annoys people in Chicago since a Chicago style hot dog has a billion of things on there.

Shorty
06-03-2015, 09:23 PM
No, I would not bundle hot dogs in with sandwiches. They are just hot dogs.

Yes, ketchup, mayo, a tiny but of mustard and sweet relish! If you're using just ketchup, you may as well eat it plain. Lather all of the good shit on it!

NO SAUERKRAUT ALLOWED

Mirage
06-03-2015, 09:29 PM
It's not as much a sandwich as a hamburger is, but I guess it could pass as one with a bit of makeup on

if you're eating hot dogs wihout both ketchup and mustard you might as well just buy/make something else t b h

Pumpkin
06-03-2015, 09:38 PM
I put ketchup and cheese on mine! Sometimes relish

Mirage
06-03-2015, 09:38 PM
cheese. well at least you still like persona so i guess you're still an acceptable person.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-03-2015, 10:24 PM
In spirit, or culturally, or some other grey area, I would say no.

Trying to define it in concrete terms it's hard for it not to fall into a sandwich category though.

What about things on flatbreads like pitas? I guess a Gyro is a sandwhich, or some kind of sandwich/wrap hybrid. Although I guess a wrap might fall into the sandwich category too. So maybe it's just a sandwich.

Colonel Angus
06-03-2015, 10:26 PM
I've had a cheese dog before. They're not bad.

I usually have mustard. Sometimes I'll have neon green relish & onions.

I agree w/ Sephex that what constitutes a Chicago Style Hot Dog can usually be too much. If I have relish, I don't need a pickle. Tomato is also unnecessary.

When I was a kid I would have mustard & ketchup. Haven't had that in a long time, though.

escobert
06-03-2015, 10:31 PM
It's a fairly simple question, one of the great debates of our time. I say that it is, and I submit this link (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=24729) as evidence for such a claim, but I'm willing to listen to counterarguments.

Also, a relevant sub-question: Ketchup or no ketchup on your hot dog?
Silly Strider! No! :p

wb stick around ;)

EDIT: and Pike is crazy, ketchup is the only acceptable way besides red sauce to digest a tomato :p

Pumpkin
06-03-2015, 10:32 PM
oh yes hotdogs with cheese inside instead of on top are great. spicy with cheese is even better

Colonel Angus
06-03-2015, 10:40 PM
first, hotdogs are fuggin nasty as trout

second, no they are not sandwiches wth
Wrong & wrong.

Hot dogs are the bee's knees, fo' shizzle, my sizzle.

Hot dogs constitute what is required for a sandwich. 1. Bread/bread-like product 2. a filling for that bread/bread-like product.

On what Sharky said, most do consider Gyros to be a sandwich. I consider wraps in general to be part of the sandwich family.

Freya
06-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Tacos fall under the tortilla family. They share similar traits with burritos, flautas, quesadillas, enchiladas and more.

Hotdogs fall under the bread family, so they are more like sandwiches.

Ayen
06-03-2015, 11:21 PM
No. Next question.

Ketchup and mustard, of course.

Colonel Angus
06-03-2015, 11:53 PM
is a taco a sandwich
That is a good question. I guess it isn't. A wrap is related to both the taco, due to the tortilla, but is closer in spirit w/ the sandwich. In a sense, a wrap is the missing link betwixt the taco/tortilla family & the sandwich family.

Pike
06-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Is melted ice cream soup?

Colonel Angus
06-04-2015, 12:00 AM
YES!

Now, soda or pop?

Night Fury
06-04-2015, 12:23 AM
I had hot dogs last night. Italian sausage with fennel pickle and yes, ketchup :p

i would say that hot dogs are a bit of a grey area. It's filling inside bread so yeah, sarnie, but it's also called a hot dog and when I think of sammiches I don't ever think of hot dogs.

noxious.sunshine
06-04-2015, 12:27 AM
I don't consider a hot dog a sandwich

But I do like ketchup and mustard on mine.

Or chili and cheese! With onions and maybe chopped pickles!

Vermachtnis
06-04-2015, 12:54 AM
Of course it's a sandwich. I'm boring and just like chili, ketchup, and mustard on mine.

Sephex
06-04-2015, 12:55 AM

It becomes Liquid Ice Cream, as opposed to Solid Ice Cream. Somewhere in the middle is the perfect balance, Solidus Ice Cream.

METAL SPOON?!

This is the lamest post I ever made.

blackmage_nuke
06-04-2015, 01:53 AM
No, Sandwiches have two or more pieces of bread, cut the bun in half and it will be a sandwich.

I also dont consider a sub a sandwich either unless its cut into two pieces.

Colonel Angus
06-04-2015, 01:54 AM
I had hot dogs last night. Italian sausage with fennel pickle and yes, ketchup :p

Italian Sausage & hot dogs are two totally different types of sausages. :doublecolbert:

theundeadhero
06-04-2015, 06:59 AM
A sandwich takes two pieces of bread. A hot dog is not a sandwich and I don't want any ketchup on mine.

Bubba
06-04-2015, 07:13 AM
It is meat in bread. It is a sandwich. I'm not a massive hotdog fan unless it is proper sausage.

Also, what's the big deal with mustard. All Americans seem to love it but I don't know many Brits who like it. Ours must be different.

EDIT: We're having a barbeque tonight. I might try a dog with ketchup and mustard and I'll post the results here. Unless I throw up... then I'll just post it on Facebook like everyone else.

Night Fury
06-04-2015, 07:36 AM

Italian Sausage & hot dogs are two totally different types of sausages. :doublecolbert:

Oh jesus christ sorry I forgot hot dogs were that gross shit. I did not have a hot dog then. Fucking hell.

Bubba
06-04-2015, 07:51 AM

Oh jesus christ sorry I forgot hot dogs were that gross trout. I did not have a hot dog then. smurfing hell.

So basically, this is the only way a hot dog should look...

However, this abomination that resembles the penis of a male inflatable doll should be banned worldwide...

Both though, are sandwiches.

Night Fury
06-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Bubba none of these are hot dogs.

3jxwnVI2A2g

Mr. Carnelian
06-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Here's my argument for why hotdogs are NOT sandwiches

In a hotdog, the sausage is in a bun. A bun is a kind of bread, but a specific kind of bread NOT used in sandwiches.
In a sandwich, the filling is between non-bun bread.
Therefore, hotdogs are not sandwiches.

The bun typically has a deep cut in it within which the sausage nestles. The bun is ONE piece of bread.
Sandwiches involve a filling between TWO pieces of bread.

Culturally, hotdogs are not generally considered sandwiches.

Conclusion: hotdogs are not sandwiches.

it's the new "is soup a drink"

Also, soup is definitely not a drink.
In polite company, you eat it with a spoon.
If you NEED (I know you can use a spoon with any drink, but you don't NEED to) to use a utensil like a spoon, then it's not a drink.

Colonel Angus
06-04-2015, 04:25 PM

Oh jesus christ sorry I forgot hot dogs were that gross trout. I did not have a hot dog then. smurfing hell.
Don't get me wrong, I j'adore hot dogs. I was just pointing out that they're different.

Bubba, the first pic you posted looks like some other grilled sausage. The 2nd one is a real hot dog. Also, you guys might be using the wrong mustard for your hot dogs, if you don't like it. Yellow mustard is the way to go for hot dogs.

Bubba
06-04-2015, 04:50 PM
A hot dog is actually defined as a sausage and bun. The dog part specifically referring to the sausage. Any sausage.

Unfortunately, when most people think of hot dogs they think of the crappy ones with the frankfurter sausage (see pic 2). If you've been feasting on crappy frankfurter/wiener sausages your whole hotdog-eating life then you have led a pretty poor existence.

Night Fury
06-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Well if that's a hot dog I'm never eating a hot dog again. Give me a real gourmet sausage in a bun any day.

Freya
06-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Sonic's Chili Cheese Coneys are pretty deliciously bad for you and maybe I just like things smothered in cheese.

for another yummy hotdog variation

Colonel Angus
06-04-2015, 10:56 PM
A hot dog is actually defined as a sausage and bun. The dog part specifically referring to the sausage. Any sausage.

Unfortunately, when most people think of hot dogs they think of the crappy ones with the frankfurter sausage (see pic 2). If you've been feasting on crappy frankfurter/wiener sausages your whole hotdog-eating life then you have led a pretty poor existence.
No, a hot dog is a frankfurter. Other sausages are... sausages.I think this is one of those cultural difference things. Probably in the UK you guys use it to refer to any sausage.

Frankfurters are fine. Brits are the last people who should be judging other's food. :p

Bubba
06-04-2015, 11:07 PM
No, Mr. Angus. With the greatest respect, you are wrong. A hot dog is a sausage in a bun. End of. Is it a sandwich though?

I'm not making this a Brit v Yank thing. We will always lose out when it comes to original food as we are truly awful in that respect :p

In a way, that's what makes us the best. On every street corner we have Indians, Chinese, Spanish, Italian, American, Mexican, Turkish restaurants. If we can't come up with it ourselves, we'll just invite every country over here and open restaurants. Genius.

Formalhaut
06-04-2015, 11:29 PM
As far as I'm aware, English mustard is much hotter and peppery than American Mustard. Both are yellow, but you can definitely taste a significant difference between something like, say, Colman's Mustard in Britain and... French's? That's an American mustard brand right?

I happen to like both. Colman's Mustard is lovely but you can get some pained nostrils if you ingest too much too quickly. The milder stuff is lovely for barbeques. That photo Bubba of that gorgeous grilled sausage.. that looks delightful. The 'floppier' frankfurters are also decent but don't kid yourself into thinking that they are amazing. They are, at best, decent street food or an easy lunch back home.

As for toppings... I agree with mustard, hands down. Ketchup also works, but I like to mix the two together first and then lay it on the sausage. I was never a massive fan of onions, so I tend to pass on those. Cheese is good but only for the delicious grilled sausages, they don't really work as well for the frankfurters.

Colonel Angus
06-05-2015, 12:37 AM
No, Mr. Angus. With the greatest respect, you are wrong. A hot dog is a sausage in a bun. End of. Is it a sandwich though?

I'm not making this a Brit v Yank thing. We will always lose out when it comes to original food as we are truly awful in that respect :p

In a way, that's what makes us the best. On every street corner we have Indians, Chinese, Spanish, Italian, American, Mexican, Turkish restaurants. If we can't come up with it ourselves, we'll just invite every country over here and open restaurants. Genius.
No, it is a regional thing. In the US hot dogs refer only to frankfurters. Other places have different definitions for the term. I didn't know that myself until I looked it up.

Well, you guys mastered the whole "stealing" from other cultures thing. We've learned from the best. :p

I still say hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, etc. are all sandwiches.

Night Fury
06-05-2015, 12:45 AM
I'll not have a bad word said about British cuisine thank you very much! British cuisine reflects our history goddamnit! I mean for goodness sake we invented the bloody yorkshire pudding!

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-05-2015, 07:27 AM

Actually it is pretty much a flavoured, runny creme anglais at that point...

Hot-dogs are not sandwichs, what the heck?

Also grilled bun with ketchup.

theundeadhero
06-05-2015, 08:04 AM
Pretty much every civilization ever invented stew on their own.

Mr. Carnelian
06-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Frankfurters are fine. Brits are the last people who should be judging other's food. :p

Frankfurters ARE nice. However, as someone who has eaten American frankfurters and actual frankfurters from Germany, I can inform you that there is no comparison.

German frankfurter or nothing!

Bubba
06-05-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm not making this a Brit v Yank thing.

I've eaten at some amazing restaurants in both countries. Whatever the food's country of origin, we can still do it spectacularly.

Col Angus: I can live with it being a regional thing. I however, will continue to enjoy my hot dog sandwich using real sausage and not fake sausage.

I will leave on the following two words.

Yorkshire Pudding

Lonely Paper Star
06-05-2015, 09:38 AM
I see a lot of sub sandwiches/po boys/banh mi/what-have-you with bread not completely cut into two pieces?

Pheesh
06-05-2015, 10:01 AM

No, it is a regional thing. In the US hot dogs refer only to frankfurters. Other places have different definitions for the term. I didn't know that myself until I looked it up.

If a hot dog is a frankfurter then does that mean that a hot dog officially doesn't have to have a bun?

I'm just trying to follow your logic here; is a 'hot dog' a particular kind of sausage or is it a sausage in a bun? It would seem like you're trying to say a hot dog is a particular sausage placed in a bun in which case I don't think you should be able to call a frankfurter a hot dog if it is by itself (bunless).

sharkythesharkdogg
06-05-2015, 12:35 PM
I think he's saying what makes it a hot dog is taking that particular sausage, the frankfurter, and putting it in a bun.

I like a good all beef hotdog personally. My favorite sausage is probably the German knackwurst. The pink ones over the white ones. So basically a frankfurter on steroids (and probably growth hormones.......and other stuff).

I like mine with all kinds of stuff. Chilli, cheese, jalapenos, pickles, ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, on and on.

Not at one time, but just as options. I think it's silly that ketchup on hotdogs is considered so terrible in Chicago.

Loony BoB
06-05-2015, 12:45 PM
It wasn't until I finished reading this thread that I noticed that I was eating a hot dog while reading a thread about hot dogs.

Anyway, I would not call a hot dog a sandwich. Firstly because if you're going for technicalities, it's a single piece of bread and a sandwich requires two pieces of bread. Secondly, if you're not going for technicalities then why the hell would you want to call a hot dog a sandwich you're weird.

I like ketchup and grated cheese on my hot dogs. And that mustard that isn't actual mustard is okay, but only in very small amounts.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-05-2015, 01:15 PM
It wasn't until I finished reading this thread that I noticed that I was eating a hot dog while reading a thread about hot dogs.

Anyway, I would not call a hot dog a sandwich. Firstly because if you're going for technicalities, it's a single piece of bread and a sandwich requires two pieces of bread. Secondly, if you're not going for technicalities then why the hell would you want to call a hot dog a sandwich you're weird.

I like ketchup and grated cheese on my hot dogs. And that mustard that isn't actual mustard is okay, but only in very small amounts.

This has already been covered. The sub sandwich is largely considered a sandwich. It's one piece of bread. So are gyros, and perhaps wraps. One piece of bread.

I submit for exhibit B, the open-faced sandwich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_sandwich). Traditionally served on a single piece of sandwich bread with toppings. Yet still in the sandwich family.

It could be argued the hotdog is an open-faced sandwich.

Shauna
06-05-2015, 01:24 PM
A piece and sausage or a roll and sausage (hello regional terminology what are you doing here) are distinct things from a hot dog, despite them all being sausage with bread - so I would be less inclined to call it a sandwich, while I might call the first two a sandwich.

A hot dog has connotations in my head. Perhaps the type of sausage is what assigns the title? Regular links sausage in a finger roll still isn't a hot dog despite it being the exact same.

Ponderous.

Loony BoB
06-05-2015, 01:39 PM
This has already been covered. The sub sandwich is largely considered a sandwich. It's one piece of bread. So are gyros, and perhaps wraps. One piece of bread.
If you ask for a sandwich and you get a hot dog or a wrap, you know you're not getting what you asked for. Everyone calls them hot dogs, not sandwiches, for a reason. I'm pretty sure this falls in line with "largely considered" things. I do not know of anyone who calls a hot dog a sandwich, nor a wrap.

I submit for exhibit B, the open-faced sandwich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_sandwich). Traditionally served on a single piece of sandwich bread with toppings. Yet still in the sandwich family.
I can link you to a lot of things that, by name, are in a [word] family but are actually not a [same word]. A hot dog, for example, is not actually a dog despite it having dog in the name. A sandwich by technicality and definition involves two pieces of bread. Wikipedia gets trumped by the almighty powers of the dictionary.

Night Fury
06-05-2015, 02:58 PM
I actually want to commit murder when this kind of conversation happens.

Formalhaut
06-05-2015, 03:13 PM

I agree. Remind me who started this conversation so we can start a angry townsfolk style march on their house, complete with pitchforks and burning torches.

Mr. Carnelian
06-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Looking back on my contributions to this thread, my only conclusion is that I got swept up in the heat of the moment.

Really, I don't care whether hot dogs are sandwiches.

If you want to call them sandwiches, go for it. If you don't, then don't. Is it worth arguing about?

Bubba
06-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Is it worth arguing about?

Yup!

I need to clarify with everyone on this thread who said that a hot dog isn't a sandwich because it isn't on two separate pieces of bread.

What would you class this as?

The bread has not been entirely separated so according to YOU this can not be classified as a sandwich.

Also, the name sandwich indicates that something is sandwiched in between two things. Hot dogs are sandwiched by two sides of bread... the bread just so happens to be joined at the bottom.

A hot dog is a sandwich.

Loony BoB
06-05-2015, 03:49 PM
I call that a ham & salad roll :shobon:

Shauna
06-05-2015, 03:50 PM
A wee cheeky roll.

blackmage_nuke
06-05-2015, 03:59 PM
A submarine where the bread has not been divided into two is widely considered a sandwhich but that does not make it so much like how pluto is not a planet.

Colonel Angus
06-05-2015, 04:10 PM
I call that a ham & salad roll :shobon:
OG bob fans the flames of war more by adding "salad" to the fray!:lol:

Bubba
06-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a Subway Sandwich, yes? It is one joined piece of bread, yes?

Turn the bread 90 degrees then place a long sausage in it... TADA!! You now have a hot dog sandwich!

Bubba
06-05-2015, 04:29 PM
I draw your attention to the poll.

We have spoken and... it is a sandwich.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-05-2015, 04:43 PM
If you ask for a sandwich and you get a hot dog or a wrap, you know you're not getting what you asked for. Everyone calls them hot dogs, not sandwiches, for a reason. I'm pretty sure this falls in line with "largely considered" things. I do not know of anyone who calls a hot dog a sandwich, nor a wrap.

I can link you to a lot of things that, by name, are in a [word] family but are actually not a [same word]. A hot dog, for example, is not actually a dog despite it having dog in the name. A sandwich by technicality and definition involves two pieces of bread. Wikipedia gets trumped by the almighty powers of the dictionary.

From Merriam-Webster, my friend. ;) (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sandwich)

Full Definition of SANDWICH
a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
b : one slice of bread covered with food

So that clearly covers split rolls (hot dogs, subs, pita pockets), and open-faced sandwiches.

I Took the Red Pill
06-05-2015, 05:47 PM
I would argue that a hot dog is not a sandwich, but not due to the fact that a sandwich typically consists of two pieces of bread. I posit that it is not a sandwich for this reason: if I cut into a sandwich and look at what's inside, I will see a cross-section which is roughly rectangular (http://3glol.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Scrambled-Egg-Sandwich-5x600.jpg). This is an important, innate quality of the sandwich, and the reason why the hot-dog, with its circular cross section, fails the sandwich test.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-05-2015, 06:54 PM
A chicken sandwich (served on a burger bun) does not cut into a rectangular cross-section. It would be dome shaped. Neither would a sub sandwich. Neither would a burger for that matter, and a burger falls into the sandwich family.

EDIT: For the record, this is just a fun debate for me. I hope no one is getting butt hurt or anything. :)

Strider
06-05-2015, 06:56 PM

I agree. Remind me who started this conversation so we can start a angry townsfolk style march on their house, complete with pitchforks and burning torches.

>_>

/slinks away
/is shot by a sniper

Bubba
06-05-2015, 07:17 PM
I'd like to point out that this IS serious for me and people need to realise the error of their ways.

SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET, DAMMIT!!

Pumpkin
06-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Honestly I just don't think of it as a sandwich. When I go out to eat and I want a hot dog, I never check the menu under sandwiches to see what kind they have. So there you go :shrug:

Formalhaut
06-05-2015, 07:29 PM
hey guys guys, here's something crazy to think about: is it possible that it could be both a sandwich AND​ a hot dog?

Strider
06-05-2015, 07:34 PM
hey guys guys, here's something crazy to think about: is it possible that it could be both a sandwich AND​ a hot dog?

Yes, for the same reason that a burger is also classified as a sandwich (which someone mentioned above), but is referred to as a burger.

Bubba
06-05-2015, 07:35 PM

This is the point I have been trying to make.

It's just the people that think it is a hot dog NOT a sandwich that make this a terrible world to live in.

Araciel
06-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Hot dogs are delicious especially street meat at 2 am after the bar closes and/or juicy jumbos (wink).

ketchup and mustard only you heathens.

Not a sandwich.

Madame Adequate
06-06-2015, 02:04 AM
Whatever Lonny BoB thinks, the opposite of that.

Shorty
06-06-2015, 02:46 AM

NAIL THIS GUY TO A CROSS THERE IS NO SUCH POSSIBILITY

I Took the Red Pill
06-06-2015, 04:43 AM
A chicken sandwich (served on a burger bun) does not cut into a rectangular cross-section. It would be dome shaped. Neither would a sub sandwich. Neither would a burger for that matter, and a burger falls into the sandwich familyOh come on, I'm not including the bread. I'm only talking about the meat and toppings. Obviously if you use a piece of bread which is rounded the overall cross section won't be rectangular, but the meat will be approximately (http://www.bonappetit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/burger-cut-in-half-646.jpg).

fire_of_avalon
06-06-2015, 04:48 AM
No, a hotdog is not a sandwich. It's a hotdog. If you eat a sausage biscuit, is that a sandwich? Nope. It's a sausage biscuit. These things have qualities which make them stand-out from their sandwich brethren and require specific acknowledgement.

is a taco a sandwich
ASKING THE TOUGH QUESTIONS. Seriously. If a hotdog is a sandwich then a taco is a sandwich. But neither are sandwiches because they have unique properties. Like being hotdogs. Or being tacos.

You're a crazy person. A hotdog is not open faced!

:radred: at the time of posting, I tied the poll up. muahaha

sharkythesharkdogg
06-06-2015, 04:56 PM
No, a hotdog is not a sandwich. It's a hotdog. If you eat a sausage biscuit, is that a sandwich? Nope. It's a sausage biscuit. These things have qualities which make them stand-out from their sandwich brethren and require specific acknowledgement.

is a taco a sandwich
ASKING THE TOUGH QUESTIONS. Seriously. If a hotdog is a sandwich then a taco is a sandwich. But neither are sandwiches because they have unique properties. Like being hotdogs. Or being tacos.

You're a crazy person. A hotdog is not open faced!

:radred: at the time of posting, I tied the poll up. muahaha

The hotdog is either open faced, or a roll. I already stated that culturally, or spiritually, or whatever we obviously view them as a little different. A sausage biscuit also falls into that category. "Different in our minds, but technically in the same family."

By technical definition, they still fall into the sandwich category. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sandwich)

Full Definition of SANDWICH
a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
b : one slice of bread covered with food

Also, I went ahead and broke that tie for ya.

Strider
06-06-2015, 08:02 PM
I'll acknowledge this debate is a lot closer than I thought it would be.

Formalhaut
06-06-2015, 08:47 PM
How would you describe the bread itself? Would you say "oh yeah, I must pick up some hot dog buns for that slamming barbecue party next week" or would you say hot dog rolls?

sharkythesharkdogg
06-06-2015, 10:10 PM
A chicken sandwich (served on a burger bun) does not cut into a rectangular cross-section. It would be dome shaped. Neither would a sub sandwich. Neither would a burger for that matter, and a burger falls into the sandwich familyOh come on, I'm not including the bread. I'm only talking about the meat and toppings. Obviously if you use a piece of bread which is rounded the overall cross section won't be rectangular, but the meat will be approximately (http://www.bonappetit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/burger-cut-in-half-646.jpg).

A) The rectangular cross-section of the ingredients inside a sandwich without including the bread, something that every seems to feel is an integral aspect to the sandwich, seems incredibly strange. It's the first time I've heard this argued as a defining characteristic of a sandwich. I don't think it's a very good one. Because

B) There are plenty of sandwiches that wouldn't have a rectangular cross-section when only focused on ingredients. And

C) There are some sandwiches (subs) that without the bread, their ingredients would have a roughly rectangular cross-section.

D) It doesn't seem to fall into any other person's definition.

Colonel Angus
06-07-2015, 12:37 AM
How would you describe the bread itself? Would you say "oh yeah, I must pick up some hot dog buns for that slamming barbecue party next week" or would you say hot dog rolls?
I use buns. For sub sandwiches, I would use rolls. I really don't know what the difference is.

I should say, since we're on the topic of buns/rolls, I really do loath hot dog buns. My fucking god, can't they learn to cut the damn things? The bottom portion is usually cut so damn thin, @ time, it's not even cut straight. No wonder they're verboten in Discordianism.

Formalhaut
06-07-2015, 12:56 AM
I use buns. For sub sandwiches, I would use rolls. I really don't know what the difference is.

I should say, since we're on the topic of buns/rolls, I really do loath hot dog buns. My smurfing god, can't they learn to cut the damn things? The bottom portion is usually cut so damn thin, @ time, it's not even cut straight. No wonder they're verboten in Discordianism.

The worst part when they're cut thin is that they end up snapping in half. Ugh, if you've already put the sauce on top it can get messy very quickly. Also, the quality of the bread varies as well. Some hot dog buns can taste too sweet. It's also bad when they're too big. Sometimes you're eating like, 75% bread.

metagloria
06-08-2015, 01:44 AM
Look guys, this is really simple.

It it's stuff between two slices of bread, that came from a loaf of bread, it's a sandwich.

If it's not that, it's not.

A hot dog is not a sandwich. A hamburger is not a sandwich. A taco is not a sandwich. A calzone is not a sandwich. One slice of pizza upside down on top of another slice of pizza is not a sandwich.

Mirage
06-08-2015, 07:24 AM
So if I make a enormous hamburger but replace the buns with two slices of bread, it ceases to be a hamburger and becomes something completely different! What if I replace only one bun with a slice of bread? What then???! Is it a sandburger?!

Sephex
06-08-2015, 08:06 AM
How this thread is making me feel:

http://i.imgur.com/JcIXke9.jpg

Ayen
06-08-2015, 08:57 AM
I-it can finally be said.

EoFF is very passionate about wieners.

Formalhaut
06-08-2015, 10:35 AM
I-it can finally be said.

EoFF is very passionate about wieners.

Wieners are very important. Your point? :colbert:

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-08-2015, 01:18 PM
The fact that this thread is still going strong surprises me...

Strider
06-08-2015, 08:43 PM

It it's stuff between two slices of bread, that came from a loaf of bread, it's a sandwich.

A hot dog is not a sandwich. A hamburger is not a sandwich. A taco is not a sandwich. A calzone is not a sandwich. One slice of pizza upside down on top of another slice of pizza is not a sandwich.

How is it that a calzone is not a sandwich when a Monte Cristo is essentially the same thing and IS considered a sandwich?

Shorty
06-08-2015, 08:46 PM
A calzone could be considered a hot sandwich maybe. But...

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lggrbjMRRd1qeolcio1_500.gif

metagloria
06-08-2015, 09:54 PM

How is it that a calzone is not a sandwich when a Monte Cristo is essentially the same thing and IS considered a sandwich?
...you must have a very different definition of "Monte Cristo" than I do.

Strider
06-08-2015, 10:19 PM
My point is that they're both enclosed, by deep frying and baking respectively, and usually cut in half for consumption. Where's the difference?

Pheesh
06-08-2015, 11:27 PM
A calzone could be considered a hot sandwich maybe. But...

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lggrbjMRRd1qeolcio1_500.gif

See this? These are the reasons your Italian citizenship is a drawn out process instead of a simple affair. They can smell these kinds of comments on you at the consulate.

metagloria
06-09-2015, 07:32 PM
My point is that they're both enclosed, by deep frying and baking respectively, and usually cut in half for consumption. Where's the difference?

The use of sandwich bread.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-10-2015, 10:12 PM
The Monte Cristo is bread that has already been baked. It's basically done being cooked, then it's fried as a complete sandwich.

A calzone is raw dough, just like pizza, and part of the cooking process involves the dough baking to completion.

Since sandwiches don't involve cooking raw dough as part of their preparation, I think pizza and calzones wouldn't fall into the sandwich family. The are close though.

-M-
06-11-2015, 06:55 AM
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

No and no.