PDA

View Full Version : Garlic for dummies

blackmage_nuke
06-04-2015, 06:53 AM
I decided to be lazy and got a garlic press today and when I tried it out I didn't end up with nice small bits of garlic but just got a flattened clove inside the press.

Was it something wrong with me?
Was it something wrong with my press?
Was it something wrong with my garlic?

Side topic, do you chop your garlic or use a press and what are your favourite things to put garlic on?

noxious.sunshine
06-04-2015, 01:19 PM
I use garlic in pretty much everything I cook. Seriously.

Depending on what I'm making, I either roughly chop it or do a fine mince. Sometimes I'll make a paste with salt.

I cook Mexican a lot so my go-to spices/seasonings/whatever are garlic, jalapeno, and onion. They're my Holy Trinity.

I really love to roast garlic and use it in salsas.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-04-2015, 02:22 PM
I decided to be lazy and got a garlic press today and when I tried it out I didn't end up with nice small bits of garlic but just got a flattened clove inside the press.

Was it something wrong with me?
Was it something wrong with my press?
Was it something wrong with my garlic?

Side topic, do you chop your garlic or use a press and what are your favourite things to put garlic on?

Garlic is pretty great.

Did you remove the skin first? The skin might hold it all together instead of allowing it to press through the openings. Without seeing your little garlic press, that's the only reason I can think of as to why it would press flat without dicing itself.

Mirage
06-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Maybe you put too little garlic in a too big press. Maybe you have no lower arm muscles and couldn't apply the pressure fast enough

blackmage_nuke
06-05-2015, 04:03 PM
It's a fairly big press and I only used one clove so maybe theres something there.