PDA

View Full Version : Best 20 bucks I ever spent

Strider
06-05-2015, 02:52 AM
We all like to have that cash money to spend, but it feels especially gratifying when we get a steal for our disposable income, right? So what was the best 20 bucks you've spent recently? Or, for the sake of discussion, you can make it 10 or 100 or whatever.

For me, I feel like getting 20% off of MLB.tv might've been the best 100 bucks I've spent in a while, and that was before the start of the season. What about y'all?

Shorty
06-05-2015, 03:24 AM
My ticket to see Mad Max in a child-free theater. Overpriced, but worth it.

LunarWeaver
06-05-2015, 04:22 AM
Alcohol.

Sephex
06-05-2015, 04:24 AM

Was there an actual official child free theater, or did you manage to get lucky? In my area there isn't such a thing as a theater that doesn't allow children in (for heavy stuff, they still have to be with an adult obviously). This was evident by the fact that the 10pm showing of Avengers I saw opening weekend had a huge family in it with a couple of kids that treated the theater like their living room.

For the record most theater antics don't really bother me that much, and most of my experiences misbehaving children were swiftly dealt with. Most of the time I go to a late showing, even as something as popular and somewhat child appealing as the Avengers, you don't get kids that late.

Oh, I should also be on topic. Something close to $20 that was the best I ever spent? Hmmm...probably a good video game that wasn't too old that I got for a deal at the time. What? I don't think about these things that often!

EDIT:

Alcohol.

This really should have been my answer.

Pumpkin
06-05-2015, 04:34 AM
Tales of Hearts R! Easily made it's way in to my top favourite games

Scotty_ffgamer
06-05-2015, 04:37 AM
I once found 20 bucks on a mini golf course back in middle school-ish time. My friends and I then proceeded to spend all 20 dollars on tokens for the arcade inside. We got as many tickets as we could with that, and we then asked for that many tickets-worth in tootsie-rolls. The girl at the counter just angrily dumped the whole container in a bag and gave it to us. We were shorted about 100 tootsie rolls.

I feel bad about this now, kind of. We were super annoying to the people in there. It's kind of a fun memory at the same time though.

Shiny
06-05-2015, 04:46 AM
Sling TV maybe?

Vyk
06-05-2015, 04:57 AM
My current phone, a Windows phone surprisingly, I got for $50. And I'm used to dealing with low-end Android phones who crap out after half a year or so and get bogged down and experience huge slowdown and stuff. And I've had this thing for a few months and no sign of slow-down. It's an extremely well designed operating system by comparison that scales down really well. It may not have the horse power of some better phones, but it is by far not a slouch. I've spent way more on way worse phones over the years. It's ridiculous fast and stable for all the abuse I put it through. It's so nice to receive phone calls and actually be able to answer them without my phone having a hissy fit and freezing for too long and making me miss the calls. I can actually answer the phone. Somehow my last 2 or 3 phones forgot that was an integral part of their existence... Now if only people would make apps for Windows phones I'd be golden. But once I make enough money I am definitely upgrading to a higher tier of Windows phone for better game performance. But I've completely turned my back on Android for this ridiculousness. And I'll never be able to justify the price for iPhone. So I guess for the foreseeable future, I am obligated to be a Windows phone fanboy. How weird. Definitely a worthwhile $50 though

Sephex
06-05-2015, 04:57 AM
Oh, thought of another one but don't want to add even more to my already wordy original post. Clothes. Whenever I find a lot of clothes for around $20 or less I get pretty excited.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Metallica_8d8bb7_1274417.jpg

escobert
06-05-2015, 05:01 AM
DayZ.

Shorty
06-05-2015, 05:03 AM

Was there an actual official child free theater, or did you manage to get lucky? In my area there isn't such a thing as a theater that doesn't allow children in (for heavy stuff, they still have to be with an adult obviously). This was evident by the fact that the 10pm showing of Avengers I saw opening weekend had a huge family in it with a couple of kids that treated the theater like their living room.

For the record most theater antics don't really bother me that much, and most of my experiences misbehaving children were swiftly dealt with. Most of the time I go to a late showing, even as something as popular and somewhat child appealing as the Avengers, you don't get kids that late.

Actual child-free theater. 21 and over due to alcohol being served inside the theater itself. No minors, period. Not even accompanied by adults.

Needless to say, I will not be seeing movies anywhere else.

Sephex
06-05-2015, 05:08 AM

Actual child-free theater. 21 and over due to alcohol being served inside the theater itself. No minors, period. Not even accompanied by adults.

Ohhh, duh. Yeah, we got stuff like that here and there within Chicago and some surrounding suburbs. I just only been to one a couple of times, so I completely forgot about that option.

I actually see most movies at a drive in during the summer now. Bunch of buddies and myself just bring a bunch of food, booze, chairs, air mattresses, decent sound equipment and see two movies for 10 dollars. Usually one of the two movies is pretty meh, but it's just fun seeing movies like that. Anyway, my point is while kids are there, the open environment tends to have far fewer disruption, if any at all. More people are relaxed and no one tends to bother each other. It's nice!

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-05-2015, 06:14 AM
My new GTX960. Awesome boost in graphics and Witcher 3 for free!

(~276$ CAD with taxes and shipping)

starlet
06-05-2015, 06:27 AM
Splatoon! Anyone who hasn't tried it out yet is missing out :D

Sephex
06-05-2015, 06:39 AM
Splatoon! Anyone who hasn't tried it out yet is missing out :D

Wait, that's seriously only $20? Hmmm...

Pike
06-05-2015, 10:34 AM
I think Morrowind was $20 when I bought it?

Easily one of the best purchases of my life.

Slothy
06-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Child free movies and alcohol? I need to open such a theatre here so I can go to it. That seems a cost effective solution.

Loony BoB
06-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Train tickets to Glasgow.

Formalhaut
06-05-2015, 12:58 PM

Why would you bring a kid along to see Mad Max in the first place?

Sephex
06-05-2015, 01:16 PM

Why would you bring a kid along to see Mad Max in the first place?

You'd be surprised in the willful ignorance of others. I remember when I saw the first Silent Hill movie there were two babies crying at certain points. This was a late showing, but still.

It's sad that theaters don't care about this. I am guessing that they fear they'll lose business if they turn down people bringing babies and small children to movies (I am not counting children's movies in this following point because obviously that is expected), but what they fail to realize that even a trashy person that uses their cell phone the whole time, put their feet on other peoples seat in front of them, and adds his or her own commentary loudly to the movie doesn't want to hear a baby or child cry or be disruptive in any way. I'm not some Grinch that think no children should even be in theaters except for kid's films, but they really, really shouldn't allow kids to be at late showings for PG-13 stuff and above honestly. That's never going to happen, though.

Then again, it was hilarious to hear a new generation of children freak out at Jurassic Park when it was in theaters again in 2013.

Shiny
06-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Babies should be banned from movie theaters. I'm serious. It ruins the experience for other people if your baby is crying throughout. Also I totally judge children (like ages 5 - 12) if they don't quietly sit and watch the movie as I did as a child. Appreciate the film!

Mirage
06-05-2015, 01:55 PM

Who would let children in to watch mad max anyway? It was rated 18+ here.

I guess maybe it's just different here. Minors aren't allowed in on 18+ rated movies even if accompanied by a guardian.

Pike
06-05-2015, 02:56 PM
I guess maybe it's just different here. Minors aren't allowed in on 18+ rated movies even if accompanied by a guardian.

It's different in the States; an R rated movie means if you're under 17 you need an adult with you. NC-17 means no one under 17 is permitted at all, but NC-17 kind of has a stigma attached to it so hardly any movies are released with that rating. A director will commonly cut stuff from a movie to get an R rating instead of an NC-17.

I remember when the Matrix movies were out tons of people brought their kids along. I still have no idea why.

noxious.sunshine
06-05-2015, 03:06 PM
Party favors.

If you know what I mean.

Also metal tongs. Only $5, but man they're handy.

Mirage
06-05-2015, 03:57 PM
the matrix was only rated 15 here, which means 12 years old could come if their guardians were with them

Formalhaut
06-05-2015, 10:52 PM
I remember when The Dark Knight clocked in with a 12A rating in the UK. It felt more like a 15 to me.

Sephex
06-06-2015, 12:03 AM
Hey guys, since this thread is going off topic to how we feel about kids/babies in movie theaters, I decided to simply have a thread about it in The Lounge! So click the link below to continue this discussion there! Thanks! :) ~Sephex

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/162992-Kids-Being-Obnoxious-In-Movie-Theaters!?p=3538275#post3538275