PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Games

Pumpkin
06-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Let's have another one of these general topics. I'm playing Virtua Fighter 4, which is alright but not the most exciting. I have played some Mortal Kombat games, and my favourite fighting series is Tekken. I also played Arcana Hearts 3 earlier and really liked it!

So I don't know if some of you remember but a while back I asked about the DOA series because I like female characters and well... But I was worried about boob jiggles, so DOA5 Ultimate was recommended. I finally picked it up yesterday and gave it a quick try and was overall pleased. Until I checked the DLC, which had an option to pay around $40 for the full game. Through DLC. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

There are two characters I want to buy though totaling around $8, and I payed $14 for the game, so overall that's not a bad price. But man having to pay an extra 40 for what they call "the full game" is some crap.

So what fighting games do you enjoy? Any to recommend to me? Also I want to try the MK series again, but I've heard some of them are terrible, so which do I try/avoid?

sharkythesharkdogg
06-05-2015, 09:56 PM
I just came here to say that I actually really like the combat system in DOA games. Also, that I really like that table flip emoji.

It's not the most in depth, but it's fast, fluid, balanced, easy to pick up, and yet there are still some characters that take a while to get really good at.

It's a shame it gives itself such a bad rep with all the fan service, but you don't have to make all the ladies all fanservicey, so it's not the end of the world.

Karifean
06-05-2015, 10:13 PM
The one series I really like is Tekken. Our family owned Tekken 3 back when it was new and me and my brothers played it so much. It was a ton of fun. I still get the new Tekken games. My favorite overall is either Tekken 4 or TTT2. I have more fond memories of the former, but I'd call the latter the overall better game.

I've played single matches of several other fighting games such as Street Fighter 4, but none of them ever stuck with me. Except...

About 8 months ago I came across a fighting game that went on to become one of my most played games of all time: Ougon Musou Kyoku CROSS. Anyone who knows what it's about will probably immediatly guess what drew me towards it; and I won't deny it, the idea of an Umineko fighting game sounded so good that I just had to try it. But I enjoy the game far beyond its relation to Umineko; it's a legitimately great and super fun fighting game and no week has gone by since I first played it during which I haven't put at least a few hours into just doing an Arcade Mode run. I even owe my current avatar to this game. Now if only I could find someone else to play with... :D

Vyk
06-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Yeah, the gameplay of DOA is by far one of my favorite fighting game styles. I don't like it for the fanservice. It's just legitimately fun to play. Only thing that ever came close for me was Soul Calibur, which is still fast fluid and easy to pick up. But I hate where the series has gone. They've gotten rid of most of my favorite characters, or completely nerfed them. I think Soul Calibur 3 was the last good one. And I need to get into DOA 5

I will say Mortal Kombat 9 was pretty fantastic, and had one of the best single player modes in any fighting game. Real, legitimate story. And I imagine Mortal Kombat X is likely along the same lines. But with quite a bit more characters. And I can't wait to try it as well. I just can't afford these games these days. But eventually

Colonel Angus
06-05-2015, 11:41 PM
I like the Street Fighter II/Alpha series of games the best.
I'm also a fan of the MK games & Soul Calibur.
One you might like, Pumpkin, are the Clay Fighter games. I only played the first one, but it was pretty good. It's like SF, but w/ goofy characters.

Shorty
06-06-2015, 12:55 AM
I just like Pocket Fighter. The very first fighting game I ever played.

https://blimeyboyo.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/pocket_fighter_pal-front.jpg

Basically baby Street Fighter.

Wolf Kanno
06-06-2015, 01:03 AM
Street Fighter is my bread and butter Fighting game series, with the Alpha series being my favorite for it's great roster, game mechanics and gorgeous animations. I love Guilty Gear XX as well but that might be a bit too difficult.

If you don't mind checking out licensed games, check out Persona 4 Arena or JoJo's Bizarre Adventures All Star fighters. Both are pretty solid and easy to pick up. Evil Zone is a guilty pleasure but still pretty fun.

Bolivar
06-06-2015, 01:23 AM
Not the biggest fighting fan but all I know is I totally whooped on Wolf's ass one time in Marvel vs Capcom 2 PS3!!! not really, he got me :lol:

The Marvel/Capcom crossover games (there were quite a few) were my favorite. Mortal Kombat was always fun but Deadly Alliance was when me and some friends started taking it seriously at a mechanical level. I regret not getting into MK9, every preview I played was amazing, but MKX is definitely on my "$20 list" for PS4.

Not sure if Smash counts but that's something I'd actually consider myself competent at.

Pheesh
06-06-2015, 01:31 AM
Tekken is the fighting series I've put the most time into, specifically T6. I was definitely above average at that game and knew about 2 characters reaaally well. I used to love playing online even though my net connection wasn't great.

Aside from Tekken I would say MK is the other series that I have played a decent amount. I'll probably grab MKX once the price drops.

Ayen
06-06-2015, 01:45 AM
I was introduced to the genre through Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II. I lean more on the side of Mortal Kombat. My favorites of those being II, Trilogy, and now IX. Evil Zone is pretty great as well, especially if you like anime with all the little nods they have to it, and a lot of the characters tie together. Still one of my personal favorite fighting games to this day. And of course Soul Blade/Edge and Soul Calibur III.

I like some Tekken, but haven't played a great many of them. Just 1, 2, and Tag Tournament 2. I only played the first and fifth Dead or Alive games. 5 was pretty good.

Rez09
06-06-2015, 10:15 PM
I just like Pocket Fighter. The very first fighting game I ever played.

https://blimeyboyo.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/pocket_fighter_pal-front.jpg

Basically baby Street Fighter.

I adore Pocket Fighter, and I've always felt a bit bad the game didn't get more attention, especially considering that it is both a crossover title and uses a unique style for a Capcom fighter. I don't know what you are looking for in a fighter in particular, Pumpkin, but I think Shorty is onto something here and you should give it a try. :)

nN97dEbsYaY

Regarding fighting games in general, the genre is likely my second favorite overall, and I have an especial love for SNK/SNKP's work, especially the Samurai Shodown and Last Blade series. Unfortunately, while I don't have anything in particular against 3D fighters, they haven't ever been largely appealing to me, though a few, like Bleach: Blade Battlers 2 and Tech Romancer, did really stand out. I'm also not sure where I stand on the larger portion of the genre at the moment, as there is currently a lot of focus on long combos strings and an especially flashy style that I'm a bit less fond of.

Vyk
06-06-2015, 10:50 PM
It's weird to see Evil Zone get so much love around here. I had forgotten it existed. And then in the same week we get a review here and I caught Super Best Friends playing it on YouTube and now it gets brought up again. I rented it as a kid. And knew it was pretty garbage on a technical fighting game level. But there was just something about it that resonates even today. You can tell the love that went into it I guess. So it's still fun as a piece of history and as a love letter to anime fans of the day

Mirage
06-06-2015, 11:00 PM
I'd say soul calibur, if there just was a recent, good and balanced game in the series. Appanently, you can only have two of those nowadays.

So i basically just stick with tekken these days.

TrollHunter
06-09-2015, 11:29 PM
The house I'm in is basically full of a ton of fighting game fanatics. Guilty gear, blazblue, soul calibur, smash (mostly melee), you name it we probably play it. We actually host weekly tournaments in our house for melee, and just this weekend we had a montly tournament that had well over 60 people for each game in the smash franchise (aside for smash 64 which had 8 people :( ). I'm personally atrocious at anything thats not melee or soul calibur, but I've been trying to pick up blazblue recently. Sadly with my current schedule its hard to fit time in to properly pick it up and that game requires some serious time investment.

Pumpkin
06-09-2015, 11:34 PM
I've been wanting to try a BlazBlue game but haven't decided on which one yet

TrollHunter
06-09-2015, 11:53 PM
I'd honestly just wait for the newest version coming out in a month or so for ps3/ps4. That should be your best bet.
http://blazblue.wikia.com/wiki/BlazBlue:_Chronophantasma_Extend

I'm not sure how active the online for the current version is because I'm more of a couch multiplayer kinda guy, but when extend gets released it should be fairly active.

Mirage
06-10-2015, 02:13 AM
I'm not sure if pumpkin would play online a lot

Pumpkin
06-10-2015, 03:35 AM
No I never play online