PDA

View Full Version : Watching Playthroughs

Formalhaut
06-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Does anybody else go on YouTube, or Twitch, and just watch someone else play a game to perfection?

I've discovered this guy by the name of Zevik who has done tons of perfect walkthroughs and playthroughs of game series that I can't really see myself playing but that I'm fascinated with the story. I watched him play through the entire Hitman series. I'm not really a stealth sort of player, but I just found it fascinating how he could slip past guards and always get that top ranking.

After finishing Hitman, I'm now onto Assassin's Creed. Again, not really my sort of game, but it is awesome to see someone so skilled at the game. The story is pretty gripping too, actually.

And another YouTuber, Lady Insanity did a Dragon Age Inquisition playthrough where she was the 'assquisitor', doing all the really hideous and nasty choices I never could do myself.

I have to say I only really do this with games I don't see myself playing or for game choices I could never do, like being a dick in Inquisition. Discuss the fun you've had watching others play through games.

Vyk
06-07-2015, 08:27 PM
I go both ways. If it's a good playthrough, or a good game that I won't play, then sure. Especially if I enjoy the commentator, or their skill. I watch Game Grumps play through games pretty religiously. Game Society Pimps are really good, heavy edits, but they generally make their own stories out of games, which makes a boring Skyrim long play into something random and hilarious

Then there's the games that I've super enjoyed and I like to see what others think or it, or how they deal with things differently in the game than what I'd done. I have really so far enjoyed Super Best Friends play Bloodborne, and Freedom Planet. And watching Markiplier play through Alien Isolation, and both him and I loved the game. In these situations I've usually beaten the game, or played way farther ahead than their videos so I don't get anything spoiled. And sometimes I'll avoid videos entirely if I know it's something I intend to play soon

Agent Proto
06-07-2015, 08:37 PM
I watch playthroughs when I am not able to purchase the game in question, like if it's for a console I don't own, or I don't have a good computer to play it on.

Colonel Angus
06-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Does anybody else go on YouTube, or Twitch, and just watch someone else play a game to perfection?
To perfection? No. I only watch Psycho, The Shaunas & AVGN/James & Mike LPs.

Rez09
06-07-2015, 09:53 PM
I absolutely love LPs, especially from people who are informative or have an enjoyable personality, and I usually watch them play older stuff I've played through. It's always awesome learning new stuff about games were thought you knew everything about. :)

Sephex
06-07-2015, 10:11 PM
I like super professional playthroughs like speedruns but also something goofy like Game Grumps. Most humorus Let's Play channels have an overeliance on face cams and over acting be it a scare or whatever. While GG has its downsides, I still find it entertaining and I like the people on that channel.

Anyway, because of my sister dating and now living with Cosmo Wright, I got into the community and have met a couple of Speedrunners, not counting him. It's very cool to hear how they work. I lent Cosmo my copy of Symphony of the Night and he gave me a run down on how he was going to WR any% while we were at a wedding. A week or so later I saw it in action!

Electroshock Therapy
06-07-2015, 11:01 PM
The two I like the most are The Great Clement (ClementJ642) and HCBailly.

Clement plays a lot of Mega Man and Sonic, and I love Mega Man. Sonic... is a bore to me. Anyway, I like Clement because he doesn't take himself too seriously. I consider him one of the humorous LP-ers, but he isn't obnoxious and doesn't overreact for the views. You can tell he's just doing this because he enjoys doing it. So watching his LPs is pretty enjoyable.

HCBailly is one I would consider a bit obnoxious, but I'm pretty used to it. I would have to be, though. He's probably the best LP-er for Final Fantasy and other RPG guides. He plans just about every detail, tries to show off EVERYTHING, and is pretty knowledgeable about the game he's doing because he researches before makes an LP. He's really helpful, but you do have to get used to his somewhat extreme personality.