PDA

View Full Version : FIFA Women's World Cup

Freya
06-08-2015, 04:19 PM
So I missed the first few games (http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/matches/index.html) due to well just being general busy.

Freaking Germany won 10-0 against the Ivory Coast. Like holy shit.

AUS vs USA is tonight so I'm probably going to try to catch that one.

But 10-0, holy crap Germany. Couldn't have you been nice and not beat them so incredibly hard?

Anyone keeping up with the Women's world cup?

Formalhaut
06-08-2015, 04:29 PM
I am, actually and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. It is a shame that the women's game doesn't get as much coverage as the men's game.

Bubba
06-08-2015, 06:29 PM
Will definitely be keeping tabs on this. Some of the quality has been outstanding.

I've just seen the Dutch team's first goal. If anyone hasn't then get on it. What a cracker!

EDIT: In fact, here it is!

http://bbc.in/1T7lZAL

Freya
06-09-2015, 02:45 AM
Woooooooo US won against AUS 3-1!

Hope Solo is a great goalie.

Bubba
06-09-2015, 08:15 AM
It looks like my team (Man Utd) are selling our keeper to Real Madrid. I would definitely consider Hope Solo as a replacement. She's pretty quick too, I read somewhere she can make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. Whatever that means...

Rapinoe's second goal was a cracker. Shaping up to be a great World Cup!

England play France later today. Really hope we can get off to a flying start.

DK
06-09-2015, 04:37 PM
call me nitpicky or whatever, but it severly aggrieves me that on auntie beebs website they show the results in the side bar as "x country women" vs "y country women". if the mens game is "England vs France" with no specifics why should it be any different for the girls? I'm probably overthinking it but it does annoy me that they feel the need to specify.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-10-2015, 05:31 PM
If it specifies that it's the women's World Cup, then it does sound a little overkill. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they're just trying to communicate information clearly and accurately, but that's always open to interpretation. :shrug:

Freya
06-10-2015, 05:38 PM
Friday the US goes against Sweden.

I'm really only watching the US games right now because of time issues and that there are so many in the first round that meh. I normally cheer for Germany in the men's cup so I'll probably have them as my other team.

Once we get down to smaller brackets i'll probably be catching more games.

Mirage
06-10-2015, 05:49 PM
I don't really pay attention but you can be damned sure that I'll be here gloating if norway wins over any significant country

Formalhaut
06-17-2015, 12:10 AM
The group stages are nearly up so here are a few updates from the tournament so far:

I just watched the Switzerland vs. Cameroon match. It was awesome! Switzerland scored early on, but after the second half Cameroon really rallied and scored two good goals to go through to the second round in second place. This is the first time in their history that Cameroon has progressed past the group stage. The scenes were quite something to watch.
The hosts Canada are through to the top of Group A after a fairly close grouping.
The USA is currently top of their group with one game remaining. The points are pretty funny: 4, 3, 2 and 1. It could be all to play for still.
England is clinging on to top two hopes; they are tied with France (ha!). With a barely superior goal difference to France, they pretty much have to better their result to get second place.

Freya
06-17-2015, 02:53 AM
I haven't been able to watch lately due to life and E3 stuff. But so glad us is doing well

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-27-2015, 02:13 AM
Why isn't this thread getting more attention?

At this moment, in the semifinals, it is either China or USA against Germany. On the other side of the bracket, Canada, England, Australia, and Japan are still in.

Obviously I am rooting for USA. Duh. But Germany has been doing pretty phenomenal, so that semi will be great. I also want the USA to beat the piss out of Japan because revenge.

I <3 Alex Morgan, Hope Solo, Sydney Larouex, Meghan Klingenberg, Lindsey Johnston, and the rest of Team USA.

EDIT: USA GOING TO SEMIFINALS AGAINST GERMANY!

krissy
06-27-2015, 04:38 AM
canada vs england
we'lll seeee

Bubba
06-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Well done USA! That semi-final against Germany will be a tough one though.

I've a gig tonight but will be done by midnight. Hopefully make it home to catch Canada v England. Canada are a tough, physical team and being the home nation I think they're favourites. We've never made it passed the Quarters but I'm hoping that will change later on!

Old Manus
06-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Women's football usually bores me to tears but I've been making more of an effort this time around. The timezone difference means that it's not possible to watch most of it, though. It's good when the teams are fairly evenly matched, unlike the farce with Ivory Coast at the start of the tournament.

Bubba
06-28-2015, 02:26 AM
COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Formalhaut
06-28-2015, 02:32 AM
As Bubba, said, England have knocked out the hosts Canada in a thrilling 2-1 victory, sending them into their first ever World Cup Semi-final! :hyper:

It was very close, and Canada in the first half definitely had some of the better chances, but in the end, England's defending in the second half clinched the deal. The England women must be going ballistic over such a historic moment in their history!

Seriously, why is this not news here? The England U-21 men get more coverage than this and they sucked at the European U-21 championships.

Meanwhile, the USA get a neat 1-0 victory over China, so well done to them as well!

Freya
06-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Woo! Go England!

I'm worried about the US. Germany has been stomping everyone. I don't think we'll make it out of the semi finals.

Bubba
06-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Woo! Go England!

I'm worried about the US. Germany has been stomping everyone. I don't think we'll make it out of the semi finals.

Yeah, I think the US probably have the toughest draw looking at form. Japan are the World Champions though so it will be tough for both of us. Weirdly though, England actually beat Japan in the group stages at the last World Cup but the Japanese went on to win the whole thing.

Looking forward to both games!

Freya
07-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Oh man this game is brutal. First half had a head cracked sopen and blood everywhere.

But so far it's been 470 mins that Hope Solo has kept the US goal free for goals.that's awesomeawesome

Edit:

WE WON! WE FREAKING WON!! USA! USA! 2-0

That was inense but in carli Lloyd we trust. Then that assist for O'Hara, damn.

Bubba
07-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Congratulations USA!

Be great if we could join you in the final. Here's hoping!

Crop
07-02-2015, 02:08 AM
Utterly gutted at the result! We were all over Japan and I think we would have won had it gone to extra time. I feel so sorry for Bassett too, it was just one of those things, but happened to be at the worst time and place possible. We probably committed too many players forward at the end considering we had all of extra time to play.

Well I'm going to be shattered for work tomorrow, shame there's nothing to show for it. Hopefully we can give the Germans a thumping to cheer me up!

07-02-2015, 02:38 AM
USA vs Japan. Again.

I wish I would have been able to watch the JPN ENG game.
The USA GER game was phenomenal. That is the kind of game that I like to watch. It was great seeing both teams attack and defend so ferociously.

Looking forward the the finals!

Freya
07-02-2015, 03:00 AM
Oh man I was for some reason thinking the ENG v JPN was tomorrow. Dangit. I missed it.

USA v JPN will be interesting though

Formalhaut
07-02-2015, 12:52 PM
I know. Own goaled at the last minute. That's gotta sting.

krissy
07-03-2015, 02:55 AM
oh canada :(

07-05-2015, 11:56 PM
TIME FOR THE FINALS!!!

GO USA!

Formalhaut
07-06-2015, 12:03 AM
USA vs Japan: Can the USA ride the sails of July 4th and storm to victory?

Crop
07-06-2015, 12:29 AM
4-1? No that's not the final score, we're 30 minutes in. What is happening here?!

Freya
07-06-2015, 12:36 AM
4 goals in the first 16 minutes even! In Carli Lloyd we trust!

07-06-2015, 12:59 AM
Good things are happening my friend, amazing things.

Freya
07-06-2015, 01:12 AM
5-2!!! Wow USA ladies you're amazing!

07-06-2015, 03:51 AM
We winned it!

Sephex
07-06-2015, 04:02 AM
The USA has proven that their women have the best feet around!

That assessment can also be heard from foot fetishists.

Okay, but seriously, though I am not a huge fan of the sport, I do recognize raw athletic talent and skill. From what I seen, these women where amazing players on the field. Congrats to them and congrats to the USA!

Formalhaut
07-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Hopefully this victory will allow U.S women's football to get more coverage, seeing how they went and won a WORLD CUP.

And England got into the semi-finals for the very first time, which got them some coverage.

Ayen
07-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Heard about the finals in chat. I'm just here to gloat.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Bubba
07-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Good effort, USA!

Freya
07-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Good effort? GOOD EFFORT? Hat trick in the first 16 mins is more than Good Effort! AHHHH I'm still rolling in excitement over this game.

Mirage
07-06-2015, 03:34 PM
calm down freya you're turining into a hooligan

Freya
07-06-2015, 04:22 PM
It happens to the best of us

Bubba
07-06-2015, 05:23 PM
http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65243&stc=1

Shiny
07-09-2015, 04:52 AM
No one took their shirt off after winning this time around.

Sephex
07-09-2015, 07:52 AM
No one took their shirt off after winning this time around.

Well, it didn't feel appropriate to party like it was 1999.

Mirage
07-09-2015, 03:35 PM
There have been women doing that in norway. After soccer games I mean. There's usually a big tight sports bra under anyway so why even care?

Ayen
07-09-2015, 03:46 PM
I require video footage of these moments.

For science.

Mirage
07-09-2015, 03:56 PM
not sure why, it's not like anything out of the ordinary is shown