PDA

View Full Version : Across the GLOBE! ...or maybe just the country...

Sephex
06-09-2015, 05:09 AM
Most of us are older now and have traveled a lot. So, EoFF, what is the longest way you've gone from home? How about the longest you have gone while providing for yourself (as in driving and/or funding yourself the whole time)?

Traveling in general: I have been all over the country on many road trips and family vacations, but most of it is when I was very young or a teenager. The furthest I have been from home (from the Chicagoland area) was California.

However, I have only driven myself to St. Louis, twice. From where I live that's about a 4 hour drive. I'll soon break that record for self funded travel because I have to go to Boston for a wedding. I will be flying, but it's all out of my pocket!

I know there are people that can make my various treks across the US look pathetic by comparison. And don't fret from answering if you haven't traveled too much! I think it's interesting hear the opposite perspective on stuff like this! Anyway, let us hear your traveling...uh...statistics!

Mr. Carnelian
06-09-2015, 05:23 AM
The furthest I've been from home (England) is probably New Zealand.
The longest I've been away from England is my current sojourn in Japan.
I've been here for just over three months, and I'm going back in just under a month from now.

Ayen
06-09-2015, 06:08 AM
Branson, Missouri is the farthest I've been away from home and that was on vacation last year with the family. We only spent money on food and drinks and what we did while out there. The vacation room didn't cost anything since my mom had it handed over from a co-worker.

Pumpkin
06-09-2015, 06:10 AM
The furthest I have been from home was when I lived in Ottawa, Canada and started visiting Upstate South Carolina, U.S.A. It was over a thousand miles. I'd like to go even further and make it to Europe one day but that's not in the cards yet.

Strider
06-09-2015, 06:38 AM
I think the furthest I've been from Fresno was Budapest, by virtue of being furthest east in Europe. That was an interesting few days, but then again backpacking around the Continent for over a month was one long adventure for many reasons. Had zero monies when I got home!

Freya
06-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Driven to every state on this side of the mississippi besides WA, OR, AK, and HI. I've been to WI, MI, FL, OH, and DC on the other side.

I've also been to Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, and France when I was in HS for a senior trip.

I want to do some more travelling but it's expensive and I have adult things I have to pay for :( It'll probably be a few years before I can make an international trip again.

FFNut
06-09-2015, 05:58 PM
When I played Hockey I was always getting sent from my home in Westrn Canada (British Columbia) to places in Northern Europe to play. Sweden, Finland, Russia. After hockey my cousin and I took a trip to Bali to go surfing, and ended up in Australia for about 6 months. Besides that just Cross coast Canada, New York, Dallas, and Los Angeles.

Shorty
06-09-2015, 08:21 PM
I went from San Francisco to Copenhagen, and then finagled my way through a 2-3 hour Danish train journey (and was terrified that I would miss my stop due to language barriers into Växjö, Sweden :jess:

For international trips I've taken, I've had the fortune of a partner or friend chipping in for costs. At home in the US, I go on quick 6 hour trips all the time and fund those myself, but those are easy and considerably cheaper.

Skyblade
06-09-2015, 08:39 PM
I've been from one end of Earth's orbit to the other. Compared to that, most of the local distances are pretty pathetic.

I did visit Canada once, though.

noxious.sunshine
06-10-2015, 03:52 AM
As a kid, I went with my dad (and later on my dad AND mom) in the big truck a lot. It was pretty awesome. My dad got a little t.v./vcr combo for me and a bunch of vhs movies so that I could watch those. And of course I had mad coloring books, barbies, toys, whatever I wanted.

Anywho. I've been to over half of the U.S. ... And visiting all 50 is my biggest goal in life at this point.

The farthest I've traveled is from my hometown area to Phoenix, Arizona. But when I was in first grade, my dad hauled Sea Ray boats and I went with him from my hometown all the way up to Boston, then down to Orlando, back up to Boston, then home. We ran that in a week. My dad even got us a hotel room down in Florida and let me rent a movie. And I got to swim in the pool and stuff.

Anywho. Yeah. I've done quite a bit of traveling. My dad estimates I've traveled around 1 million miles in my lifetime, if not more than that.

Shiny
06-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Longest by plane was to France. Longest by car was a trip from east coast all the through Georgia and Florida.

Formalhaut
06-10-2015, 06:50 PM
I live in the South of England now. The furthest I've been locally in the United Kingdom would probably be... Warrington (near Manchester/Liverpool), actually, as that is where one side of Mr. Carnelian's family hails from.

Internationally, I've only ever been to one country: Switzerland. Which coincidentally is where the other side of Mr. Carny's family lives. Thank goodness Sam knows *some* Swiss German. I was really worried about the language barrier.

Mr. Carnelian
06-11-2015, 06:45 AM
Internationally, I've only ever been to one country: Switzerland. Which coincidentally is where the other side of Mr. Carny's family lives. Thank goodness Sam knows *some* Swiss German. I was really worried about the language barrier.

"*some* Swiss German"? How dare you, sir?!
Ich spreche ziemlich gut Deutsch! Du bist ein Scweinhunddummkopf!

-M-
06-11-2015, 06:51 AM
I'm from England but I'm living in Korea now, my third year here. I visited home last month and by god I wanted to stay there. Though saying that I'm not exactly sure where I consider "home" to be anymore.

Karifean
06-11-2015, 09:45 AM
I've been to Spain, France, Swiss, England, Italy, Greece, Sweden, Germany and Croatia. Possibly forgetting something. My dad is an avid traveller and goes on vacation to some faraway country once or twice a year so I sometimes just tag along. My longest time away from Austria - as far as I can remember - would be a two-week England stay preceded by a one-week Barcelona stay, although I was back home for a day and a half inbetween.

I hope to go to America and (South-east) Asia at some point.

Don't know which of Spain, England, Greece and Sweden is the furthest from Austria, the distances all seem rather equal.

escobert
06-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Farthest would be Australia and New Zealand. Longest time wise was a month in Europe. Farthest on my own would be Chicago.

Sephex
06-13-2015, 04:50 AM
And as I make this post I did indeed land in Boston. Currently in Plymouth staring at the Atlantic Ocean at night.

escobert
06-13-2015, 11:25 AM
And as I make this post I did indeed land in Boston. Currently in Plymouth staring at the Atlantic Ocean at night.

Awesome! How long are you over in my neck of the woods for?

Sephex
06-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Today for a wedding and then a bit on Sunday. Never been here before, it is a nice area! Hearing all the Boston accents is cracking me up, too.

escobert
06-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Oh nice! Boston is a nice area. Too flat for me though :p And I hate their damn accents since everyone thinks that all of New England talks like that.

Sephex
06-13-2015, 08:01 PM
To be fair they're not as thick as shown on TV or whatever, but I can hear it for sure.

escobert
06-13-2015, 08:16 PM
yeah it seems to be depending on where in the greater Boston area you are. Like where my Girlfriend lived in Lynn it was mostly minorities who don't have that accent at all. But if you go down to the working class white areas it's bad. Same with southern New Hampshire. They all sound like they're from Boston.

Sephex
06-13-2015, 08:32 PM
yeah it seems to be depending on where in the greater Boston area you are. Like where my Girlfriend lived in Lynn it was mostly minorities who don't have that accent at all. But if you go down to the working class white areas it's bad. Same with southern New Hampshire. They all sound like they're from Boston.

It's like that around Chicago, too. I've been told that I have a slight Chicago accent, but I don't hear it only because I have heard REAL Chicago accents thanks to how close I am to the city, as well as knowing people who have a thick one who grew up in very close Chicago suburbs (I'm close but still takes a bit of time and effort to get into the city).