PDA

View Full Version : ActRaiser

Sephex
06-09-2015, 05:10 AM
I have streamed that game a couple of times, but I want to know if anyone else around these parts have played the original ActRaiser! Don't know what it is? From Wikipedia:

ActRaiser, released in Japan as Actraiser (アクトレイザー Akutoreizā?), is a 1990 Super Nintendo Entertainment System platform and city-building simulation game developed by Quintet and published by Enix (now Square Enix) that combines traditional side-scrolling platforming with urban planning god game sections.

Though not NEARLY as expansive as something like Sim City, the town building aspect was really fun and satisfying. Get good enough at it, learn all the ticks, and you can get your player character pretty powerful! Exploring each section of the world map by building all over the place also yields secrets that will aid you on the world building portion of the game, or during the action sequences!

Speaking of, the action in the game is very solid. It's very basic, but the level design, look, and atmosphere make the game seem very grand in scale.

And the soundtrack and sound in general? Man, top notch! And this was an EARLY SNES title! It would take a couple of years before top tier games on the SNES would sound as exquisite as ActRaiser.

The second one I didn't like so much. It's all action and they took out the world building. The game was far more detailed, but I just couldn't get into it back in the day. However, I heard die hard fans of both games say it's good, so I might give it another chance one day.

theundeadhero
06-16-2015, 08:45 AM
It's been over 15 years, but I've played through the first Actraiser. I enjoyed it at the time.

Strider
06-18-2015, 06:03 AM
ActRaiser was unique in that it was solid as a sim AND as a sidescroller. Is it too late to demand another one?