PDA

View Full Version : What kind of food is your area known for?

Sephex
06-09-2015, 05:10 AM
Well, I live in the Chicagoland area. So, as most people know already, it is pizza! Deep dish pizza, too! However, I would say that while most in the area do love their deep dish, it is more about the love of pizza in general around here. My favorite pizza is actually pretty typical looking for a US resident. My favorite pizza is from a place called Aurelio's! The one I go to in the town I currently live in is the original as there are a few other locations scattered across the suburbs. Most people that aren't from around here has probably heard of Giordano's.

Well, what about your area? Anything food (or even drink) notable around the country and/or world?

Pumpkin
06-09-2015, 05:15 AM
Umm squirrel? I have no idea. Maybe like pulled pork style barbecue (the type I don't like) and beans maybe

From back home we had poutine and beaver tails :bigsmile:

Ayen
06-09-2015, 06:10 AM
Going off of a Google search it's Strip Steaks.

Night Fury
06-09-2015, 06:25 AM
The place I live is very much seafood and it's quite an Italian area so stuff like marinated octopus is a big one. But mostly fresh seafood for WA! Pheesh might know better than me though.

From the North East/Northumberland I would say pease pudding, Newkie brown, singing hinnies, craster kippers, and pan haggerty. Mostly different varieties of scones and breads which you will find variants of all over the UK.

Strider
06-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Tri-tip. I wouldn't want to live in a place that didn't have tri-tip readily available.

Mr. Carnelian
06-09-2015, 06:46 AM
Watercress, bacons and hams.
That's what t'internet says, anyway.

noxious.sunshine
06-09-2015, 10:23 AM
I've made this thread once! A long time ago! :D lol

Anywho, I talk about and obsess over Hot Chicken way too much probably.

That is what Nashville has become known for in recent years, with shows on the Travel Channel and Food Network covering the dish.

It's really spicy fried chicken. And it's soo addictive.

The story goes like this: a woman, tired of her man cheating, dumped a whole bunch of cayenne pepper all over his fried chicken. Instead of getting her revenge, the man (Thomas Prince) fell in love with it. He then fixed up the recipe and opened a restaurant, Prince's Hot Chicken Shack, focusing on that chicken. And thus, Nashville Hot Chicken was born.

There are now quite a few restaurants that center on Hot Chicken and/or have it on their menu in some way in Nashville. There's even a place in Brooklyn that serves it up! I have yet to try it out. I've read mixed reviews.

I found a recipe for it online and just kind of started doing my own thing with it. It's quickly become kind of my specialty. It's easily my bf's favorite thing that I make, but it's kind of a major pain in the ass.

It's incredible, though, and everyone needs to have it at least once in their lives.

blackmage_nuke
06-09-2015, 08:49 PM
I can think of notable foods from other Aus states but I cant think of any notable food in NSW unless Opera Houses are edible

Shorty
06-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Fry sauce and green jell-o (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1010&sid=30723644). Also, funeral potatoes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_potatoes).

FFNut
06-09-2015, 10:16 PM
I live in a place surrounded bye forests so wild game like moose people come from all over to try. Also with the Indian Reservation's close bye there is lots of Bannock at the farmers markets and stuff like that.

Pike
06-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Tater pigs and bison/elk burgers.

Both of which are **amazing**

Madame Adequate
06-09-2015, 11:50 PM
PORK PIES MOTHERsmurfER

Red Leicester cheese as well which surprises nobody

e; plus we didn't invent crisps but "The Beaumont Leys manufacturing plant is the largest crisp factory in the world" so the rest of you can get out

escobert
06-09-2015, 11:55 PM
Maple Syrup and dairy products. Oh and Ben & Jerry's. I guess that's a dairy product but it's pretty famous!

Pheesh
06-10-2015, 12:38 AM
I can think of notable foods from other Aus states but I cant think of any notable food in NSW unless Opera Houses are edible

Sydney rock oysters are a pretty big deal for people who love oysters, that's all I can think of though.

Like Night Fury said, WA is mostly about fresh seafood because almost all our major towns are set along the coast. Also if you travel up north near Broome they cook a lot of native animals such as croc, emu, snake and kangaroo of course.

Colonel Angus
06-10-2015, 12:44 AM
Sephex already covered pizza. However, I prefer thin crust. Lina's & Freddie's have great pies. Giordano's has gotten both too small & expensive.

But also Hot Dogs, Italian Beef, Italian Sausage, Tootsie Rolls & Fannie May candies.

Hot Dogs & Beef are great from Portillo's.

Pike
06-10-2015, 12:44 AM
Oh right I forgot Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Google it if you really want to know.

Sephex
06-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Sephex already covered pizza. However, I prefer thin crust. Lina's & Freddie's have great pies. Giordano's has gotten both too small & expensive.

But also Hot Dogs, Italian Beef, Italian Sausage, Tootsie Rolls & Fannie May candies.

Hot Dogs & Beef are great from Portillo's.

Portillo's is my jam.

FFNut
06-10-2015, 03:07 AM
Oh right I forgot Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Google it if you really want to know.

I dont need google for that, I know what that is, I'll pass

fire_of_avalon
06-10-2015, 05:06 AM
Barbecue wars. Lexington style (the superior) vs. Eastern style (still delicious.)
Muscadine and scuppernong wine.
Krispy Kreme donuts.
Pepsi.
Cheerwine.
Moravian Cookies.

Asheville is known for a lot of good restaurants and breweries. It's still Beer City, USA apparently. Suck it, PNWers.

Shoeberto
06-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Hoagies.

One could also argue cheesesteaks too but it's really just a variation on a theme.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Poutine, maple syrup, and tourtiere.

Cleric
06-12-2015, 03:05 AM
We have "beach pizza" which is basically a square slice with a softer crust, sweet sauce, and if you're doing it right extra cheese, provolone of course!

sharkythesharkdogg
06-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Barbecue wars. Lexington style (the superior) vs. Eastern style (still delicious.)
Muscadine and scuppernong wine.
Krispy Kreme donuts.
Pepsi.
Cheerwine.
Moravian Cookies.

Asheville is known for a lot of good restaurants and breweries. It's still Beer City, USA apparently. Suck it, PNWers.

Muscadine wine is pretty great.

Along with that, there's lots of fruit preserves, venison, shrimp and grits, low country boils, oyster roasts, boiled peanuts (spicy or salted), fruit cobblers, every thing to do with peaches, fried catfish, duck perlo, along with all the other classic southern foods; collard greens, tomato sandwiches, black eyed peas, lima beans, butter beans, various slaws and potato salads, and of course moonshine.

Shauna
06-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Scottish food claims were boring so I decided to see specifically things originating in Glasgow.

Found nothing. Maybe the macaroni cheese pie.

Laddy
06-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Barbecue. Memphis is pretty much the best place for the stuff, with places like The Rendezvous being pretty damn famous. Can't stand the stuff myself as it makes my Crohn's go wild but we have a lot of nice food here.

noxious.sunshine
06-16-2015, 06:23 PM
omg I loooooove Memphis BBQ <3

Memphis Dry Rub Ribs omg...

theundeadhero
06-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Toasted ravioli, gooey butter cake, and provolone cheese on pizza.

Karifean
06-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Wiener Schnitzel and Wiener Würstel. They're pretty good.

escobert
06-18-2015, 01:27 AM
Poutine, inferior maple syrup, and tourtiere.

There fixed it for you ;)